News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Few Questions  (Read 3784 times)

Offline -=Abyss=-

• ~Holding Heaven in your Arms..~
Few Questions
« on: January 9, 2005, 04:57:59 PM »
1.Is Khaine same as Khorne?
2.If so they both hate slaneesh, why would they not fight it together? "Before Khaine got defaeted'
3.IS thier even a chance of Slaneesh dieng? in fluffwise not tabletop
Index Astartes Litanies Verse 1:13: TO ME MY BROTHERS!

Offline Flash_hound

Re: Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2005, 07:09:22 PM »
1.  Absolutely not.  Khaine is the eldar god of war, he is in no way evil.  Angry yes.  Evil No.  He fights for the eldar, and is defently not the same as khorne.  Although there names are similar and it seems like the fight for the same thing, khaine doesn't love bloodshed, and khaine hates the chaos gods.

2.  Well First of all they are not the same, they hate eachother, because ones chaos and ones eldar.  So they won't fight together because Khaine won't fight with a raving lunitic.  Also Khaine is no longer a single entity but shattered into a thousand fragments which are the avatars.

3.  It would require the deat hof every single worshiper of slaanesh.  Or somthing chatestrophic happening in the warp, like the emperor being reborn, but that would more likely weaken slaanesh not kill it.  Also you would have to burn everysingle artifact that has slaanesh on it, so that the power of slaanesh won't be reborn.  So although possible, the chances are VERY thin.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 03:10:12 PM »
And why didn't they fight together before Khaine was shattered? Because it all happened in an instant. Slaanesh was born, torn through the wapr/mundane world, consumed Eldar souls and gods, and clashed with Khaine. It's not like anyone had time to plan anything. It was a quick and violent thing.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 05:47:10 PM »
Can Slaanesh be vanquished? Yeah, sorta. You'd nead to bring peace to the galaxy though, Chaos only thrives due to negative emotions.
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 07:10:26 PM »
The obvious 'fluff' quotation here is:

[quote author=Originally published in WD127:

When Kaela Mensha Khaine, the Bloody Handed God of the Eldar, fought with Slaanesh the Lord of Pleasure, he was quickly overwhelmed and his energy captured by the newborn God. For the Bloody Handed God was as much a part of Slaanesh as of Khorne - being a product of that part of the Eldar nature which finds gratification in murder and pleasure in bloody violence. Khorne the Blood God, the Patron of War, Murder and Battle, roared with rage to discover one of his own taken from him in this way. Then Khorne and Slaanesh clashed headlong, the Blood God fighting to recover the portion of his power that had been robbed from him, Slaanesh driven by his uncontrollable hunger to consume everything in his path. The Bloody Handed God of the Eldar was tossed this way and that, at first grasped by Slaanesh, then tugged back into the compass of Khorne.

Eventually the rage of the Blood God and the passion of the Lord of Pleasure were exhausted, and the boundaries between them were established. Like a leaf in the eye of a hurricane, Kaela Mensha Khaine fell among the calm, down through the Realm of Chaos and into the material universe. As he entered the material universe he divided into many shards of energy, scattering his power so that neither Khorne or Slaanesh could ever find him again. Each shard entered the body of an Eldar, filling the body with his own mind, possessing it, so that it became a virtually indestructible blood-lusting murderer - the material manifestation of the Bloody Handed God. These are the Avatars of the Bloody Handed God.

Not a great deal to add at this point since, for me, the answers to the questions are a quite simple:

1)  No.

2)  Because one is a Chaos God and the other a Warp Entity bound by the conceptions of a race of the matterium (i.e. the eldar).

3)  Yes.

Kage

Offline Meithose

• "Virescit vulnere virtus" "Placidus Mortis"
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 06:17:26 PM »
I will answer the part about slaanesh being killed/defeated

well in the Chaos Space Marine Codex it states that Khorne is known to be the Dominant god while slaanesh is to be the youngest and probably the first to die as he does not have enough power to truely rival Khorne:

Goes along the lines... "Slaanesh is the rival of Khorne, who he sees as crude and unsophisticated. The prince of chaos does not have the resources to seriously challenge the Blood God: the very nature of his power is such that it will ultimately expend itself long before Khorne's hordes have satisfied their bloodlust."
Pg. 55, The Book of Slaanesh, Chaos Space Marines Codex, c. 2002

and... "Khorne is generally seen as the dominant Chaos god, for he draws on the rawest, moste elemental forces of human nature."
Pg. 47, The Book of Khorne, Chaos Space Marines Codex, c. 2002

"And where they find a mountain of slain,
 Send one to climb, and looking down beneath,
 There they will find him at his manly length
 With his face up to heaven, in that red 
    monument
 Which the good sword had digg'd...
- Thermopylae Gate: The ultimate Deus ex Machina

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 11:03:36 PM »
Although it is interesting to note that the earlier 'fluff' on the birth of Slaanesh had the "Prince of Pleasure" being far more powerful than the other Chaos Gods, at least at the time...

Kage

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 11:07:42 PM »
I guess you can say...
As the Chaos gods get their power from certain things, like lust for blood or plagues,
As Khorne draws power from bloodshed
As Khaine causes bloodshed

You can say that Khaine inadvertently fuels Khorne, because Khorne gets power from all bloodshed.
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline wraith144

• Thats More Like It!!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 04:53:17 PM »
Khorne doesn't really hate slannesh, he just hates slannesh because she is no more than a rival good. also the only way to kill a god is to kill all its worshipers because when you think about it gods only live because people think they do.
Never Swim In Green Water

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 09:15:29 PM »
That isn't necessarily so. It is a very Pratchett-y way of looking at it, but I am sure Mork and Gork, for instance, would still be around even if no orks cared about them at all. Same with a lot of others.
Chaos might grow stronger in the mundane world the more followers they have, but the power behind them, in the warp, is eternal, and can't die. At last I can't see it happening.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 09:57:58 PM »
If you take into account the 'balance' of the 'fluff' then you rapidly see that is not only a reasonable suggestion, but required...

Kage

Offline Zucrous Shadowhelm

• I have transformed my fear and now it serves me
« Reply #11 on: February 4, 2005, 09:59:19 PM »
the way I see it Slannesh was extremely powerful at birth becuase of the fall of the eldar, being it now an age of war, there is less pleasure more pain and fighting(all in oversimplified terms). The chaos gods get their power mainly from my interpretation from mortal beings. Slannesh is a perfect example, he only awoke in full power when the eldar were overindulging themselves, being gluttinous, etc. For some reason I am thinking that Slannesh will never be destroyed one being its kinda hard to kill off a god, two its even harder to kill off a god driven by emotion, and three because gamesworkshop makes alot of money from it. But, Khorne is cooler anyway, because he is psycho that is my point.
“You are the Emperor’s finest; his word is our strength, his might our sword, and our faith in him, our shield against all enemies. We are the Emperor’s Crusaders, and through us his will is done.”

Offline Tender Hands

• Keep it real.
« Reply #12 on: February 4, 2005, 11:09:57 PM »
yeah... you got two things right... cant kill a God that thrives off of pleasure and emotions, and Khorne is the coolest.  ;D

"Look through a faithless eye
are you afraid to die?"

Offline Tender Hands

• Keep it real.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 06:24:36 PM »
1.  Absolutely not.  Khaine is the eldar god of war, he is in no way evil.  Angry yes.  Evil No.  He fights for the eldar, and is defently not the same as khorne.  Although there names are similar and it seems like the fight for the same thing, khaine doesn't love bloodshed, and khaine hates the chaos gods.

Khaine is the eldar God of war and murder... how is that not evil?

are you afraid to die?"

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 06:59:03 PM »
Mainly because the 40k univese, along with its various aliens, is automatically morally relative.  What is evil to one race is not necessarily evil to another race...

Kage

Offline Tender Hands

• Keep it real.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 10:17:36 PM »
so are u saying that the eldar, who value eldar life so much, would say that murder isnt evil?

are you afraid to die?"

Offline Wrathe

• Quick delivery will trump the finest blade.
    • Nerdtopia
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2005, 10:38:22 PM »
Yes. Khaela is also the god of Strength and Endurance, not wonton murder - not like Khorne. Take the Greks or Romans for example. Ares (Mars) was the god of war, but that doesn't mean that everybody who paid homage to him went around murdering people. Its the same with Khaine. The Eldar pay homage to him, and he guides them into battle, but only for war. person to person affairs are dealth with honor, justice, and virtue. The battlefield is for Khaine, and the battlefield only.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2005, 11:09:45 PM »
so are u saying that the eldar, who value eldar life so much, would say that murder isnt evil?
They value eldar life, surely?  And those other types of 'life' that they value, of course.  Would an eldar feel remorse or even guilt if they stepped on a poisonous bug?  Would you?  Would either of you consider that necessrily 'evil'?  Likely not... Now what if they consider you, a human, a bug.  Should they then consider it 'evil' or worthy of remorse if they killed you?  Likely not, once more...

Kage

Offline Tender Hands

• Keep it real.
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 11:04:49 PM »
well no because we were created in the image of God with dominion over animals... if we accidentally kill one.... who really cares? (PETA does) but that is a question deliberatly created to shift the argument from the original topic

are you afraid to die?"

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 11:20:53 PM »
You're right, and as evidenced on that other thread inherently circular if you don't remove yourself away from the argument.  But you knew that, which was one of the reasons that you posted it seemingly! ;)

But to keep it in the context of a fictional universe rather than trying to stick entirely to a single belief system/mythology of a real world religion, one need only point out that the eldar have a different set of gods... Different set of gods and different set of rules.

Kage