News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Fifth C'tan  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Pez

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
The Fifth C'tan
« on: September 23, 2004, 05:59:05 AM »
   The Hidden was a strange creature even before it was talked down out of the aether.  It had watched It’s (siblings) while they had sported among the stars, and It had kept Itself unknown to them.  It longed to join them, but was fearful of them, for It was the last spawned and least powerful among them.  When the Necrontyr, full of hatred for the Universe and their Creators offered the C’tan bodies, It hung back, not wishing to be noticed.

Eventually, It’s curiosity won out over It’s fear, and It was made incarnate.  It was shocked by the sensations of It’s new form.  Things It had before noted as mathematical abstractions it now felt, and felt them all the more powerfully for never having felt before.  It, who had bathed in the fires of Creation, could now feel the breeze.  Admittedly, It was hungrier than It had been, but that was what the sentients were for.

It lacked It’s (siblings?) strengths.  It wasn’t as crafty as the Deceiver, nor as widely versed in technology as the Dragon.  It decided to adapt, by taking the best tricks from both.  From afar It watched them, and finally It believed It had found something It could do that none of It’s (siblings?) could, a way to finally best them.

When the Great Devouring began, the cannibalistic battles that pitted C’tan against C’tan, It fled in It’s ship of living metal, taking with It a great number of dissembled scarabs and tomb spyders.  It was caught by one of it’s (siblings?) and devoured, that (sibling?) being devoured in turn by another.

However, the Hidden had played It’s final card.  Desperately studying the hardware and software of the mechanical insects as It fled through space, It had made a breakthrough.  It had hidden a copy of Itself inside the code of the machines, a copy with It’s core personality and a hatred of the other C’tan.  When It’s physical form was destroyed, a copy of It lived on inside the scarabs and tomb spyders.

Unfortunately, in the attack by It’s (sibling?) most of the swarm was destroyed.  With it went much of the Hidden’s personality.  All that was left was the overwhelming hatred of the C’tan, and an innate caution.  This caution caused what was left of the swarm to go to ground on a planet, and begin creating many more members

During the years when it’s (siblings?) slept, the swarm grew in size.  The Hidden slowly regained It's memories, and began formulating a revenge.  It sent parts of Itself off on journeys to tomb worlds known to It, seeking news of It’s (siblings?).  There, It slowly converted the sleeping Necrons to It’s allegiance.  When It had need of souls, it would descend on a carefully chosen, isolated planet and devour it down to the bedrock.  These actions were generally blamed on the Tyranids.

Now, It’s (siblings?) have awakened and at last It knows where they are.  Lacking the technology of the Necrontyr, It has been unable to re-incarnate Itself.  It has managed to store Itself inside a Monolith however.  The swarm has grown over the years, until it can block suns with it’s passage.  With turncoats in It’s (siblings?) armies, and the advantage of surprise, the Hidden believes it can achieve It’s revenge at last.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: The Fifth C'tan
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 06:16:45 AM »
So the C'tan are just code? I thought them much more...

Welcome to EO/40k.ca by the way!

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Shortsighted Farseer

• BOO! Ha, gotcha!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 06:49:04 AM »
I think he means it made a copy of itself into code. Like if a human copied its brian and personality onto a computer. I don't see why not considering the eldar stick dead guys in a big computer. That of course is in laymens terms. :P
"Don't you just hate it. Every time a human sees a button that says danger do not press, they just HAVE to press it." "Oh look a red button and it says danger." -press- "Oh! Would you look at that..." "What? Did you blow up some planet? Destabalize the warp core?" "No... A light came on and it says 'Please Do Not Press This Button Again.'"

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 08:39:57 AM »
Well, a C'tan is something HUGE even compared to the vast Eldar psyche. I wonder if it could be reduced to code in that fashin, and if it could be; why not copy and paste, and make smaller ones, assuming you could control the code.

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 10:47:24 AM »
But if it only put its basic mind into ther code, remembering that the 'crons are incredibly advanced tecnologically so their data-storage is probably well beyond the Eldar, who can store minds in a stone that is maybe a 4-5" sphere.

Even if C'tan/'cron systems were significantly less capable than the Eldar, storing it in a swarm of small processors still woudn't be that hard.

Interesting piece of fluff there Pez.
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Shortsighted Farseer

• BOO! Ha, gotcha!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 11:32:38 AM »
Well, a C'tan is something HUGE even compared to the vast Eldar psyche. I wonder if it could be reduced to code in that fashin, and if it could be; why not copy and paste, and make smaller ones, assuming you could control the code.

I doubt the C'Tan would risk it. They after all all killed each other didn't they? I don't think the C'Tan would copy themselves. The Nightbringer for example would not risk (probably wouldn't think of copying himself but anyway) making another one of himself, after all with all his traits and emotions he would no doubt want to kill the origina Nightbringer. So the C'tan wouldn't risk making more of themselves readily so that their copies didn't kill them.
"Don't you just hate it. Every time a human sees a button that says danger do not press, they just HAVE to press it." "Oh look a red button and it says danger." -press- "Oh! Would you look at that..." "What? Did you blow up some planet? Destabalize the warp core?" "No... A light came on and it says 'Please Do Not Press This Button Again.'"

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 11:47:58 AM »
But would they not have done it in the eras of time before they started fighting eachother?

Offline Seer Tyhalandras

• Ambassador of the Mon Faroth CraftWorld
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 12:50:46 PM »
Maybe, they did, and thats why they started killing each other?  Just a thought.
Hive Fleet Necrosis = 6000ish Pts
Mon-Faroth Craftworld = 5000ish Pts
Deathwing = 2000ish Pts

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 03:22:11 PM »
They started fighting eachotehr because of the Laughing God having tricked them into it. So says the fluff, at least.