News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Big 40k Announcement  (Read 6639 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: The Big 40k Announcement
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 09:55:58 AM »
I honestly think most of the range is about to be converted into new models. You guys are right, a lot of the current range simply does not fit in with this new stuff.

I don't think we've seen all the new stuff just yet :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 06:36:55 PM »
You mean the War Of The World style walkers?

Rolf nailed it :) both walker variants look kit bashed, not bad I guess.

The new destroyer looks great, I also like the look of the new monolith, but that new Ctan looks awesome, very AoS though. I'm guessing the model next to the destroyer is another lord.. and whoomp there is it.. very nice sculpts.

The unit in front of the monolith looks like a new assault unit.. they don't look right..

A few of those necron warriors have immortal weapons..

did you see the the model between the walker and monolith, just below the the flier...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 06:59:40 PM »
I listened to the FAQ stream today, where they answered folks questions about the new edition. Gotta say, I am even more stoked than before.

The main thing, is that I CANNOT WAIT to play crusade campaigns.

They said that the core rulebook will have heaps of stuff for it, but each new codex will expand on the crusade system for it (for that particular army). If your captain gets super hurt, he can be interred in a dreadnought, you can have thousand sons hunting for lore, or Dark Angels seeking the Fallen. Having injuries and achievements for units just sounds super cool. Also, the campaign system seems to follow how the campaign system for Warcry is done, so each player has their own crusade, it's not linked to other players. 100% stoked.

For the other things, here are some of my standouts.

1) Deathwatch is getting lots of exciting stuff, right after 9th edition drops.

2) Rules which apply to vehicles (like shooting in combat), also apply to monsters.

3)Sounds like you can apply keywords to terrain, some of which make the whole terrain block LoS.

4) Both players start with same amount of CP (based on game size). You spend CP like you do now, but also for putting units in reserve, or getting other detachments and/or allies. Also sounds like reserves will be more dynamic

5)overhaul to how overwatch and falling back work (along with new universal stratagems to deal with that)

6) Crusade sounds freaking amazing! My local group are already committed to playing crusade leagues. The new models look absolutely outstanding. the new necron warriors are a huge improvement over the existing ones. I also need at least one set of all the new primaris models for my Space Wolves. In my group, we have two necron players already, who are pretty hard for the new stuff lol.

I've not been this excited for a new edition, since AOS 2nd edition.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 07:24:56 PM »
Mage- In one of the snippets they said they're changing how stratagems are used. Or something to that effect. I don't remember seeing they are going to be more powerful. They even mentioned how armies are built around them and they want to adjust that.

That and the changes to terrain (to make terrain more important and useful) have me the most excited.

Not excited about buying tons of new Necrons...I'll probably get the big winged C'Tan thing and The Silent King for sure. They're just awesome. Going to hold off on the rest. For now. I have limited room for more Necrons.

Luckily I have enough spare Gauss Blasters I should easily be able to convert some Flayers to whatever the new gun they can get is.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2020, 08:36:17 PM »
Hey everyone.

First off I have to tell ya'll, I hated 6th  ed but despised 7th ed. Only played because my group played. 6th ed destroyed my have fun armies. It turned my group into power players and 7th just added fuel to the fire. 8th is such a reprieve from that. I enjoyed 2nd ed but you had so much home work. 3rd was a breath of fresh air, 4th was good but 5th was fun, broken yes, but could have some fun games. 8th was so much fun from the get go, unfortunately power creep started but still a good time. So if Cav says it's gonna be good, I believe him.

Now on to my beloved Necrons. Excited yes but broke money wise already so will be very picky. I already have a big army so adding a bit here and there will be ok, money available that is. Illuminor for sure only because I usually run him and my failcast one is bad, really bad mold.

Marine stuff stopped being exciting for me during 6th. All that made my Dark Angels unique got given to all chapters, rules, toys, etc. Now my Grey Knights, love them, different. Really fun to try and win with them.

I'm really not ready for a new edition, as I said before, my rule book for 8th still smells new. If the new ed box is what they say, I'll have to find someone to split it with just for the new Necrons.  We'll see.

Happy gaming! 8)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 12:45:19 PM »
 I'm very interested in seeing what changes they made with morale - new interactions etc. I've had only a couple of games since 7th, but when I did leadership seemed to me as the stat for 'how much more damage you take if you take a lot of damage'. It's true that its primary role since 3rd has been to tell if a unit runs away or not but there is so much more that can be done with it 

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 03:14:10 PM »
Honestly, Leadership has been a dump stat for so many armies for decades. Even back when units could run away, it almost never happened since it could be avoided by, like, a dozen special rules available to everyone but a few certain factions. At least 8th Ed morale makes a difference in games more often.

I'm excited to see how they can streamline the game and make things more interesting. Evening out Command Points is a great idea and I'm looking forward to that, particularly.

Here's hoping psychic powers get a little more interesting, but that's a perennial complaint of mine. I just want Thousand Sons to have more interesting options than "light them on fire" or "light them on fire more" or "light one specific guy on fire."

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 03:55:30 PM »
I would love to see Leadership become useful, especially for armies that use the stat as their main ability *coughNightLordscough*

I had seen some chatter that Leadership was being changed in a way that would make the Night Lords and other armies that affect Morale to have a larger impact.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »
I’m curious as to what they’re doing with leadership too. 

Offline Radec

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 03:27:55 PM »
I've already negotiated a split of new box when it comes out. At the rumoured price of 120 quid (not confirmed by any source, though) it will be a very lucrative deal :D

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2020, 08:03:50 AM »
I've already negotiated a split of new box when it comes out. At the rumoured price of 120 quid (not confirmed by any source, though) it will be a very lucrative deal :D

Oh nice!  :D

Anyone know of the changes to the rules yet?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2020, 07:12:26 PM »
What I can tell you is the game plays much faster and cleaner. Reserves make a massive impact on the game, as does terrain, so defensively there are a lot more tools at your disposal.

Because of reserves and certain other elements, T1 flows much faster, as in all my games at least, everyone took as full advantage of reserves as possible. Because it comes at a CP cost its not an easy choice, but very important. The way reserves works is very different than previous editions. Its hard to describe without giving away too much, but its very dynamic and markedly different than previous iterations of reserves.

The game in general is much, much faster. There are a couple of habits you need to develop to keep it fast, but myself and playtesting partners barely had to crack the rulebook after the first 2 turns. So the game is fast, and the familiarity with 8th is still very much there.

The terrain rules are super important and will really be a hobbyists delight. If you've got a guy in your group that loves making terrain. You will be happy.

I found my unit selection for 9th has been very much different, but for the better. I felt 8th rewarded the long time collector of single faction, way more so in 9th. I feel really rewarded for sprucing up all my old favorite models/units to my current painting standard.

At times I've felt really jaded about having to reconfigure my collection, but if you've had a somewhat measured approach to collecting and have your core really solid, you'll hit the ground running. 

On the purely subjective side, there are a lot more stratagems and special abilities that really get the blood going thematically. In playtesting there were a lot of moments, where I was just like "YES! This is what my army is supposed to feel like/do!" Its hard to describe and I'll be able to get into on my podcast eventually, but there are some really awesome fist pumping stratagems that just scream rule of cool and are very good but not game winning on the table. 

Finally Crusade is just incredible. All the competitive guys in my team have dropped tourney play for Crusade because its so damn addictive. Its fun, easy to get going and all you need is a very basic story for the campaign to just sort of take off. The way armies interact with Crusade will very much help craft the story for you. When more is revealed I'll point to exactly what I'm referring too, but if you've longed for a great campaign system, to have a high stakes and meaningful series of games Crusade is your jam. There is a weird cross-over with tournament play in that, you feel like you are playing for that big win in every game and the time between sessions is almost as fun as the games themselves.

I know a lot of that is vague but I do have a very serious NDA on what I can say. And for those of you guys who've chatted with me throughout the years, you know all this comes from the heart. If I didnt think 9th was good, I'd be silent. There are things that still rankle me, but on the whole Im in love it, its my fave edition thus far.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2020, 03:21:29 AM »
Thanks Cav, sounds like they have made a lot of interesting changes. I'm eager to take a look at the crusade system, our group is a fan of campaigns add its sounds like this is really going to add to them.

I do wish GW would stop the drawn out hype train, it would be great for them to go hey were are releasing 9th ed and here's the free rules to get you started, instead of months of speculation.. at very least it would make decisions about what units to buy next easier.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2020, 03:52:58 AM »
Thanks for the review Cav, this looks really interesting. I'm excited for 9e!
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Radec

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2020, 03:56:16 AM »
"Free rules now, everything else later" was what happened more or less with AoS on lunch. I prefer that they drop the whole package at the same time. Releasing rules piecemeal would only feed the internet hate machine (which, despite lack of concrete rules, is going even now...)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2020, 06:58:14 AM »
No problem guys!

@Mage- No problem bud. Honestly if I were you just make sure you have a good balanced list/collection. My general rule of thumb is do I have a few 1500-2000pt mono-build lists with my fave faction that can shift between a more anti-infantry slant and anti-tank. I've literally added nothing to my collection, just repainted stuff so it looks spiffy.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #36 on: June 2, 2020, 06:10:10 AM »
I felt 8th rewarded the long time collector of single faction, way more so in 9th. I feel really rewarded for sprucing up all my old favorite models/units to my current painting standard.

Talking of long time collectors, did your play testing include non-Primaris models?

Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #37 on: June 2, 2020, 08:08:08 AM »
I cant get into specifics but we are very deep in the process and I can only reiterate what I said previously, all long time collectors will feel very rewarded. I'm looking forward to circling around on this topic both on my show, but here on the forums as well.

Somewhat related but beyond even armies and datasheets I'd say this edition is a hobbyists dream edition. Terrain is so dynamic now and if you like build terrain, you are going to have a field day. How you play with and around terrain is a major feature of the game now, and different styles of boards make for radically different games. I'm actually interested to see how this impacts army construction.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #38 on: June 2, 2020, 10:04:30 AM »
I'm so excited. My local group is already talking about running a crusade league.

Talking of long time collectors, did your play testing include non-Primaris models?

Why wouldn't it? Lol.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #39 on: June 2, 2020, 10:21:46 AM »
Crusade is so damn fun KS. Honestly its the only way I want to play going forward. Its so easy to get going and easy to track that I can easily imagine people having individual campaigns with individual players. I've been able to track my entire army on just about 2 pieces of paper. Its the choices in terms of battle honors, requisitions, or taking battle scars where it gets complicated- but thats only complicated mentally, in actually tracking it, its super easy and very fun.

I think people are gonna be pretty blown away in just how far you can push Crusade. It is a permanent part of the game now and tons of time has been spent on it.

I'm intrigued to see if it gives tournament play a run for its money, simply because it offers that high stakes series of games similar to a tournament, and it has hard and fast rules now. Its such an easier way to get in a high stakes series of games, instead of grinding out 5 games in a day
« Last Edit: June 2, 2020, 10:23:19 AM by Cavalier »