News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: On another Star Wars binge  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: On another Star Wars binge
« Reply #20 on: May 4, 2020, 12:29:13 AM »
I can't disagree on that point.  But really, how often do love side-plots make a movie better?  lol
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #21 on: May 5, 2020, 12:12:36 AM »
... but the Padme Anakin sideplot is HORRENDOUSLY painful to watch/listen to

Yeah, it's what happens when you get people who love action to try and write lovi-dovi scenes hahaha. The whole relationship from movie to the clone wars was not handled very well. AlthoughI think they handled Kenobi-Satine decently

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d1/GoFindYourGirlfriend.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20090726043140

had a good snicker at that :)

**spoiler**
They did a much better job with Hera and Kanan

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #22 on: May 8, 2020, 05:27:51 AM »
Imo, George was always more of an ideas guy rather than a writer, or even details guy, if that makes sense.  Obviously he had some amazing ideas (we wouldn't be talking about this thing called Star Wars if he didn't lol) but when it came to making a coherent story or even passable dialogue he needed help, to put it mildly.  I mean, who could forget "around the survivors a perimeter create!"  ;D

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #23 on: May 8, 2020, 01:17:02 PM »
Imo, George was always more of an ideas guy rather than a writer, or even details guy, if that makes sense.  Obviously he had some amazing ideas (we wouldn't be talking about this thing called Star Wars if he didn't lol) but when it came to making a coherent story or even passable dialogue he needed help, to put it mildly.  I mean, who could forget "around the survivors a perimeter create!"  ;D
If you watch the making of videos for ANH, they actually talk about that.  You can write the dialogue, but you can't say it.  Basically, it looks good on paper, but no one actually talks that way.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #24 on: May 8, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »
If you watch the making of videos for ANH, they actually talk about that.  You can write the dialogue, but you can't say it.  Basically, it looks good on paper, but no one actually talks that way.

There are cases where writing differently from how people talk works well. Lord of the Rings has a pretty stylized dialogue, but given the setting you just sorta accept it. Honestly, Warhammer also falls under this, given the stilted and archaic way Space Marines often speak (as if they're always giving a speech). I don't think I'd like a purely naturalistic dialogue in Star Wars, rather something based on the slightly-stylized 70s/80s dialogue they had in the original trilogy. It feels natural enough, while still having some of the heightened swashbuckling banter and drama.

I'm more concerned about Lucas' abilities to convey his character motivations through the dialogue. Some of his characters' actions just seem bizarre, or they emote weirdly, or express themselves in a way that isn't really stylized, just weird. Anakin is obviously the epitome of this, but you can find it all through the prequels.

Anyway, we probably don't disagree a whole lot.