News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Conflict between loyal Imperial subject worlds  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Conflict between loyal Imperial subject worlds
« on: February 14, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »
It seems to me that usually when the issue of internal Imperial conflicts arise, it's usually between some of the more autonomous branches (Astartes, Rogue Trader Fleets, Ministorum Cults, etc.), or between loyalists and secessionist worlds (which may or may not be chaos cultists, genestealer-infiltrated or what have you).

My question is more with regards to to sub-imperial polities (planets, systems, subsectors) that have clashed with other equivalent entities, but without either opposing the Imperium as such. Obviously clans on Feral Worlds or Feudal Worlds will exist in a state of endemic warfare, but this question is more about interplanetary warfare with a more common technological level.

Are there any good examples?

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Conflict between loyal Imperial subject worlds
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:44:07 PM »
Not only can I not think of any examples I also think what you are suggesting is highly unlikely. Given the modus operandi of the Imperium I would think that the criteria for interplanetary warfare does not exist in the 40k universe. From the little that I know each planet of the Imperium has a purpose whether that be as an agri world or a mining world and each world is beholden to the Emperor on fear of annihilation to meet its targets. It would seem to me that for interplanetary warfare to occur there would need to be a certain amount of self government involved and also a certain amount of free thinking. None of these things exist in 40k. Also there would have to be a driving force behind the warfare. Traditionally that would be be empire building or simply wanting something your neighbour has got that you want or need. Again as far as I know none of these driving forces can exist in the 40k universe.
I am probably not the best person to answer this to be honest because my fluff knowledge is practically non-existent.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:07:15 PM »
I disagree and consider the subject matter highly likely.

The Imperium doesn't really care what you get up to as long as you meet your goals, be they resources or other, and that you don't fall into heresy. Plenty of room for other conflicts to develop. As for driving forces there are always desires for resources and family matters. SF loves its dynastic and inter-family squabbles just like a scaled up version of medieval Europe. Put different family members on different planets and there you go. Two planets could war amongst themselves and the Imperium wouldn't need to step in unless it affects their tithe. As long the spice flows the higher ups turn a blind eye.

The problem with finding examples is that the BL finds such topics rather boring. Rather than PDF vs PDF it's always Chaos or Genestealers behind the fight. An ambitious governor has been listening to the Xenos rather than merely their own jealousy or anger. Why bother with War of the Roses when War of the Worlds is more exciting.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 02:25:41 PM »
I can't think of any particular examples but I've got to agree with GrimSqueaker.
There are a lot of hints and bits in various Black Library books of Planetary Governors getting too big for their boots and I could certainly see battles between planets in a system much like the fights between the various forges of the Mechanicum at the time of the Horus Heresy.
I think the Imperium is very idealistic but I can also see it being so big that planets will get near enough forgotten about and with no-one there to police them Planetary Governors getting power hungry.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »
I can't think of any examples on interplanetary wars within the Imperium, but I know there are cases of a single planet going to war with itself.  The one example that jumps to mind comes from the third book of the Gaunt's Ghosts series: Necropolis.

Two Hive cities, Verghast and Zoica, went through a trade war quite some time before the book takes place, and when Verghast won the Imperium allowed their people to stay with their PDF as opposed to forming an Imperial Guard regiment.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 05:25:53 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. I hoped there would be some examples in the RPG material, but that might just have been political intrigues, anot outright wars.

I suppose a major hindrance to the scenario I'm interested in, is the limitation on fleet capability for planetary governors and equivalent entities, though I suppose hiring mercenaries, pirates or rogue traders is not outside of possibility.