News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48602 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Then again, lurking behind the mask could be the face of a pure warp predator...

I think i know what you mean about the Stormcast mask Cav. TBH it was a bit of an uninspired kitbash and i think there's more potential in Angels Cultists than just 'dudes with stormcast heads'.

I have got to say that I like the look of the Cultist with the mask. Whilst it will not work for every Cultist that you make on a few I think it is a good idea. It makes me think that maybe they have something to hide and maybe isn't as human looking as he should be.

I'll do the rest when i'm home as i'm typing on a phone at the moment and it's painful!

Thanks I will look forward to being surprised by the huge amount of bits you have available.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models

I have got to say that I like the look of the Cultist with the mask. Whilst it will not work for every Cultist that you make on a few I think it is a good idea. It makes me think that maybe they have something to hide and maybe isn't as human looking as he should be.

I agree. Not for all of the cultists, but maybe as a leader type 'high priest' I think that the mask looks pretty good.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Hmmm, perhaps a mask is a good idea but not necessarily the Stormcast one. I've got a couple more Sang Guard masks so I might try one of those :) it'd fit nicely with the Angel itself too.

That would also free up the Stormcast heads to use on another idea I've been thinking up.

The culture of the Imperium seems to be pretty solidly medieval (or World War) European, with a few cursory nods at other cultures like the Mongolian White Scars and other such stuff. However, to my mind when mankind first reached out across the stars it would have taken all the myriad cultures of old Terra along with it. So, it would follow that when cut off from each other during the Age of Strife the various planets of mankind would start from a distinct base culture and develop from there.

This gives you a ton of scope for making distinct human cultures (and distinct military doctrines), based on technologically upgraded historical cultures.

One idea I had in that vein was a culture based on Feudal Japan, with techno-samurai wielding 2-handed AP2 power swords backed up by riflemen. My thought for the Stormcast heads is that they look quite like the Menpo Samurai masks...

The other idea I had (which I've already made a start on!) is Techno-Greeks with proper genetically engineered 'Hoplites' (I always thought the FW 'hoplites' were a little lacklustre). Here's a sneak-peek at one I've already put together :)

As for bits, here's the list :)

Iron Crusader
Head - Sternguard Vets
Torso - Heresy Iron Armour
Legs - Cataphractii Terminator from BaC plastics
Left arm - Er, something Marine. I've got a lot of left bolter arms as they're quite useful
Right arm - Sicarian leg cut and reposed
Right hand - Sicarian Chord Claw
Hammer - Deathwatch Thunder Hammer
Backpack - Grey Knight Strike Squad
Little shield - errr, something Empire I expect but Lord knows!
Little tabard on right leg - Sternguard vets I think
Servo skull - I went on a splurge a while ago and bought as many servo skulls as I could from different kits so no idea which one it's from!

Dune Strider
Head - Skitarii Ranger
Torso - GS Cults Neophytes
Legs - Sicarians
Right arm - Skitarii Ranger
Left arm - Rangers again
Left hand - DEldar Talos vestigial arm
Knife on his belt - Tempestus Scions
Extra bits to hide the gaps where the legs meet - Scions cable from backpack to hotshot lasgun

Anyone else you want to know? Happy to try and remember :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
And here's the final modelled versions of the Techno-Greeks :)

Hailing from a world known as Antigona, the Antigonoi have a very distinct cultural and martial heritage that predates the formation of the Imperium. Their primary infantry forces are comprised of blocks of bionically enhanced 'Myrmidon' armed with long taser goads and protected by heavy shielding. Fighting in close order, the primary function of these units is to pin enemy squads in place.

These phalanxes are supported by a number of different auxilliary forces. The first are the Psiloi: lightly armoured mobile ranged infantry that harass the enemy and provide covering fire for the advance of the phalanxes.

The second are the Sarissaphoroi: heavy taser lance-armed cavalry that provide a hammer blow to break enemies pinned by the phalanxes. Working in concert, this form of warfare allowed the Antigonoi to carve out a large interstellar empire during the Age of Strife which remained independent until conquered by the Ultramarines during the Great Crusade. Despite their loss of ultimate independence, they still remain a powerful force in the sector.

The Sarissaphoroi are of particular interest to Imperial archeographers. It's speculated that at some point in their history, the Antigonoi had contact with the extinct and heretical culture known as the Interex. The biological modifications made to the Sarissaphoroi are thought to echo the centaur-like Interex techno-warriors described in ancient myth, which also feature heavily in artwork on archaeo-structures of the sector dating to the height of the Antigonid Empire.[/i]

What do you think?

Offline Saim-Dann

Wow! I mean WOW! Have no other words to... Just blessed wow!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks dude!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Little update :) my Knight Worlders have a new member. Meet Rainard the Falcon :)

Yes I did buy Celestine just so I could get one of those sweet organ jetpack things. No I don't have enough money for food this month. Yes I am happy with my decision ;)

I have got a plan for many of the other bits though. I did actually make Celestine and she really is a beautiful model. Came across as a little bland in pictures, but in person and up close she's packed full of little intricate details. I'm thoroughly impressed :) I did however think she was still a little clean-cut to look properly Imperial though, not baroque enough. So I've tried to fix that a little...

What do you think?

Also, bonus internet points if you can guess what I'll be doing with her actual wings seeing as I don't think they look Imperial at all...

Lastly, I've been thinking of ideas for minor xenos recently. Less ideas for whole new civilisations, more like the Vorcha from Mass Effect. Lower-level xenos that get around the galaxy by hitchhiking on the vessels of warp-capable races. Given that Imperial ships are usually city-sized monstrosities with miles and miles of derelict and abandoned corridors there's plenty of scope for some xenos tagging along. Of course, this being 40k, most of them would be predatory ;)

Here's the first :)

The starships of the Imperium are colossal constructions. Most are easily the size of cities, with populations to match. These vast vessels harbour many dark and deep reaches where the crew fear to tread, and are home to many twisted creatures. Abhumans such as Ghilliam and Hullghasts inhabit these untrammelled depths, but down in the deeps humanity is not alone. Many xenos species also stalk these abandoned halls.

One such species is the Aethercap, a lone predator that hunts the inhabitants of a starship using acute psychic capabilities. It's unknown how they come to hitch-hike upon starships, but they are common enough throughout the Imperium. Their intelligence is a matter of some debate. Although they have never been known to communicate with humans and never been observed with weaponry of any sort, bionic modifications are fairly common among their kind.

I was also thinking up some potential rules for one in a Rogue Trader/INQ28 style game. Something like standard Guardsman statline but with 2 wounds. ML1 psyker with access only to Life Leech. However, they can regain wounds above their original 2W limit, and if they kill a psyker they gain a Mastery Level and can cast twice in a turn. Dangerous to your average human initially, and getting more and more deadly the more they feed :)

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day again, Ynneadwraith!
Rainard looks cool, (I'd say Mickey Mouse but I've already copped a slap on the hand for that).

Celestine is looking unique... for now. It won't take long for your idea to reach the masses.
Corsairs! Celestine's wings are going on something in the Corsairs.

The Aethercap is a great idea. Can't wait to see where your imagination takes it.

With the creativity you've shown in your models, mate, you would make a brilliant strategist. Get down to your Local and roll those dice.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks man! Shall do ;) i actually went there yesterday to pick up some static grass but it's closed on Tuesdays apparently...

Nearly with the Corsairs for Celestine's wings. You're on the right track with Eldar ;)

Offline Saim-Dann

There's a YT vid entitled Luke Towan. This bloke teaches how to make your own static grass applicator. That's got to be cheaper than buying them retail.

On the right track with Eldar? Some big honk'n wings for a Swooping Hawk Exarch/Pheonix Lord/Autach!!!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Oh cool :) I'll check him out

You're right on the money with Phoenix Lord ;) I've just got his head to sort out then he's done :)

Offline Saim-Dann

Looking forward to seeing THAT! Those wings will go well with Baharroth. 

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!

I did however think she was still a little clean-cut to look properly Imperial though, not baroque enough. So I've tried to fix that a little...

What do you think?

To be honest I like the look of your attempt but I think that in this instance GW got it right. I prefer the angelic look they gave her as it matches the fluff.

Aethercap: Their intelligence is a matter of some debate. Although they have never been known to communicate with humans and never been observed with weaponry of any sort, bionic modifications are fairly common among their kind.

I don't know if it as your intent but I find the fluff for the Aethercap to be intriguing. If their intelligence is in doubt who/what is carrying out the bionic modifications? Indeed, without communications with humans where/how are they getting their bionics?

I am loving Rainard. It is funny how even with wings and bionic legs the model gives off a really strong 19th century soldier vibe that I like.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:33:50 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Man that's a cool idea! I was just thinking that they were smarter than the IoM gave them credit for, but the idea that someone out there might be doing their modifications for them is a really sweet idea! Headcanon updated ;)

I've actually got some paint on him too :) not based yet though as I don't have any basing material that's not for deserts. I don't even have a dark grey paint! What do people normally do for industrial terrain/starship interiors?

I've also noticed a load of mold lines and gaps that I'd somehow missed, so I'll go back and clean those up :)

Offline Saim-Dann

Looking mean, Ynneawraith!
Is that a head he's saving for lunch? For your base you could try gluing some fly screen to it and paint it up as grid patterning of the steel plating on the floor. I use this technique on the steel floors of scratch built Imperial bunkers. Paint the entire base dark grey, then drybrush the fly screen a lighter grey or silver. 

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Brilliant idea! I'll grab some as soon as possible :)

What grey do you use?

Offline Saim-Dann

Mechanicus standard grey for the base colour. Mid heavy drybrush of dawn stone, then a light DB of administratum grey.
You of course could just use machanicus and add white for the other two shades.
Could also do the same technique using browns to give a more rusted affect.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Gotcha thanks :) yeah i'll try mechanicus standard, then drybrush administratum as i've got it, then blend it in slightly with some brown and purple washes to give it a dirty oily look below decks :) plus, that way i only need to buy 1 colour :)

Offline Saim-Dann

Sounds really nice, Ynneadwraith. Looking forward to seeing them. Happy painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Details of Mars' pre-history are scant indeed, buried beneath the weight of time and technology. However, ancient Martian myth tells of a time before the ascendancy of the Tech Priesthood, where the proto-Skitarii of the first Tech Magi did battle against the fearsome gene-engineered tribes of the south-eastern mountains. During the widespread warfare of the Unification of Terra, Mars was consumed by conflict too. A confederation of the Tech Magi waged a war of genocide upon their ancient enemies, wiping them from the face of the red planet.

However, it would appear that not all these green men were eradicated by the Priesthood. I have visited the fearsome tech-tribes of this far-flung sector, whose ancient legends tell a remarkably similar story. Their ancestors were driven from their home by steel men draped in red. A few stricken refugees fled on a stolen voidship, finally making planetfall on this world far from the clawing dendrites of the Magi. They named this world after the name for their homeworld in their strange tongue: New Barsoom.
- Extract from the Journal of Chrysoloras the Archaeographer, 965.M41

Gene-altered warriors of the Tha'ak techno-tribe of New Barsoom

Combining two of my favourite things :) Edgar Rice Burrough's Barsoom, and porting other IPs into the 40k universe with added lashings of grimdark :) I've been wanting to do some techno-Tharks for ages but just hadn't got round to it. Then, I stumbled across this picture which was just too cool to leave alone :)

Too cool by far not to have a 40k version :) as befitting the green men of Mars they're big beasties too :) here they are next to some Gue'vesa for another idea I'm working on :)

Couple of other little dudes I've been making :) first off is a Crow-Scout for a band of wasteland nomads I've had an idea for.

He's based on the one pane of a comic I read ages ago and always thought was really really cool. It's called Spindrift and the art style and ideas really are top-notch :) http://www.spindrift-comic.com/comic/00/0 Here's the dude:

Last little gribbly is this guy :) a creepy servitor pack mule! Probably attached to my Knight Worlders :)

Now, I think it's about time to get some paint on some of these guys ;)
« Last Edit: June 3, 2017, 04:31:06 AM by Ynneadwraith »