News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57413 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2017, 06:46:07 AM »
Looking really good DoW... the bone and black is killer! Really think they are under rated models. Can't wait to get some myself...

How are you running them? Traitor Legions? If so what Legion? I'd be fascinated to know.

Good luck to your friend man, I hope he's feeling better. Also I can't believe you are gonna play Man o War! Wow! Talk about blast from the past... can't wait to see those pics!

Good luck with your airbrush, and good luck to your friend. Can't wait for the next update.  ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #121 on: March 2, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »
Thanks a lot Cav, I really appreciate the feedback. The Nurgle army I'm using has yet to have a back story, but I've always favoured the Apostles of Contagion story line, which are a successor chapter of Death Guard. While their colours are more brass than brown in the fluff, they are also supposed to be mostly rust and decay, so I can see a similar feel to their paint jobs. Their chaos lord is actually an apothecary turned sorcerer that has a bitter rivalry with Typhus, which fits well with my dual sorcerer lead force and I'm using a Typhus model to convert my own warlord. I'm using the vanilla codex to run the force with marks of nurgle instead of going full out plague marine.

I decided to try out the Splintermind podcast today and it gave me the inspiration to get 2 hours of solid painting in. I've finished off the bikes and even drilled the bolter holes and exhaust holes. Just have to finish basing them and then I can start attacking my bike sorcerer.

Here's some pics of the first one completed.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:29:10 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #122 on: March 2, 2017, 02:03:46 PM »
Great stuff DoW. Really cool color scheme... suitably dour and gritty looking. Love the weathering too... it looks really solid. Paint jobs is also really well executed... nice shading, highlights and all the rest of it. Very cool!

Glad you gave the show a listen, really glad it kept you inspired. If you wanna really get inspired go and find Evil Space Elves painting galleries across the web... the man is a beast of a painter... and works at a pace I've never before seen. 12,500pts of Eldar in like 4 months. Never seen anything like it.

Also question! Why aren't you rocking the Traitor Legions book? You can run a straight-up CAD if I remember and get all the Death Guard benefits. Its SO good! I demand an explanation! lol  ;D ;D ;D But seriously I am curious. Let me know! Alright bud great stuff, keep it up!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #123 on: March 2, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »
Never really thought of using the supplemental rules. My gaming group is tiny and are basically at a novice level, so to start throwing formations and supplemental rules at them would really make for an unfair advantage on my part. Although my one friend did just pick up 3 of the chaos supplements for himself, so you may see me toying with some lists, if we get some 40k games back up and running. The last time I took some formations I faced my brothers tyranid army for his first time back to 7th edition and I felt terrible after I just annihilated him. I just sort of just prefer to stick with CAD and core codex now, as a result. Don't get me wrong, I love the art of list building and the supplements just add so many nuances to lists that I could spend hours tweaking and fine-tuning them. I just feel that the balance of the game is really kind of tossed out the window with supplements and everything ends up being an arms race. Just my two cents though. I'm sure if I started playing more competitively I'd try to optimize my lists, as best I could and use the best rules available, I just don't see the need for it at the moment. Besides, I prefer a challenge. That's why I started my eldar during 5th edition.  ;)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #124 on: March 3, 2017, 04:08:20 AM »
That bike looks great DoW! The weathering is great and I love the little screen detail. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the base!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #125 on: March 3, 2017, 04:56:36 AM »
Gotta echo the above comments, that bike is looking really good! Love the details on the control panel/screen.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #126 on: March 3, 2017, 07:05:47 AM »
No thats totally cool DoW. Although I do run a number of supplements, sadly I keep a good deal of my favorite super nasty units out of most games. The Warp Hunter, Wraithguard, Wraithknight, most of my Jetbikes, WWP Archon shenanigans. I'm totally on board.

Hopefully you do get to play some more competitive opponents because the new Death Guard rules are incredible! Especially with almost everything being Fearless!

Anyway great stuff DoW can't wait to see that Bike unit finished, love the scheme and the paint job. Keep it up!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #127 on: March 4, 2017, 09:56:37 PM »
Thanks Looshkin, Cavalier, and Auric's Pride on the compliments. It's given me just enough boost to finish off the two plasma bikes and the champion.

They're all still waiting basing, but I'll wait until the sorcerer is completed as well. Speaking of which, here's a little work in progress on the bike. Still lots of detail to add, but I thought I'd share some progress.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:26:03 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #128 on: March 5, 2017, 02:01:54 AM »
That is just so wrong DoW...which means I like it! Seriously cool modelling man, it'll make that bike unit stand out tremendously.

Good stuff, keep it rolling!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #129 on: March 5, 2017, 07:53:43 AM »
Hey DoW glad to see you are still rolling... BTW man sorry I missed your comment in my thread a few days ago... for whatever reason I only saw Auric's and Loosh's comments. Sorry about that! Super glad you are liking the podcast... I'll reply in my own thread later today. But thanks!

But about your bikes... they look great man! Really glad you are pumped to finish them up. I love the Champion... that helmet is sick! Also what the heck is that final bike made of? I love it but its grotesque! But totally perfect for this army... its like some Daemonic carcass... bizarre, hideous, but I love it!

Anyway keep it up DoW... love seeing this army come together. Can't wait to see it in some games... its getting me pumped to finish my World Eaters which I'm gonna be working on today. Keep it up!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #130 on: March 5, 2017, 05:21:22 PM »
That champ's bikes kickass! Is it all GS work?
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #131 on: March 5, 2017, 10:16:30 PM »
That last bike is the sorcerer's one. As you can see from the unprimed mini on page one of the blog, there was a lot of green stuff modelling done to make that beast head fit with the bike. The head is from a Brontus Rider model from the Rackham line that I've had kicking around for years. I always wanted to use it as some sort of spawn, but I think it fit well with the bike. You may see the body pop up some time later with my dark eldar conversions. You never know, I may make some grotesques yet. I also totally removed the seat to allow the sorcerer, which is converted from a solid metal body chaos fantasy sorcerer, to be able to be removed should I decide to play him on foot. Trying to take a solid metal figure from a standing position to a sitting one would have been impossible, so I turned the back into a sort of palanquin, but still used as a bike.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar)
« Reply #132 on: March 6, 2017, 08:38:59 AM »
Yeah sorry Dog of War I agree with Cav whilst I really like the overall look of the bike at the moment the head  looks a bit unfinished and the wrong scale.

Nice one dog_of_war now that you have painted and green stuffed around the metal head that you stuck to the front of the bike it looks brilliant. So much better than when it prompted me to say the above.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2017, 11:00:42 PM »
Thanks Alienscar, you were right to point it out as unbalanced before the greenstuff, which helped me push the model in the right direction.

Something must be going around because, I've been sick as a dog over the past week. Luckily for me I got better just in time to take March break off with the kids. As I'm a miser and my kids are literal helions, this is going to end up being a 'staycation', which means I get to try and crank out some paint jobs.

First on the docket, is the completed bike sorcerer. I hope you guys like it.

And on his completed ride.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:22:22 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2017, 06:06:32 AM »
Haha! I definitely like him :)

Standing up like that it looks like he's riding the Segway of Doom ;) in a good way of course
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2017, 07:51:15 AM »
Wow! These guys are freaking AWESOME! Cant believe how cool that sorcerer is.... I didn't even realize he was meant to go on the bike... I love his armor, robes and his cane/staff... getting such an old school vibe from him... which I totally love. This is classic 40k kitbashing and converting. Love it!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2017, 12:41:33 PM »
I can't say for why but there is something amazingly awesome about that Sorcerer. You know when you look at something and it appeals to you on a level that you can't quite grasp that's what I am getting looking at this model. 
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »
That sorcerer is deliciously cool. He has that 'pimp strut' about his pose. I love how weathered he looks. A great addition DoW!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »
Wow absolutely love that sorceror! You've done a great job on the painting there, just looks so beautifully pestilent!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2017, 10:54:59 PM »
Thank you everyone for the positive comments. I truly enjoyed modelling and painting this guy and I'm glad all that hard work paid off. I was a little worried that these nurgle paint jobs come off too muddy, especially with my poor photographic skills, but it's nice that they are registering as I intended them too.

Well, vacation is over and I have very little hobby progress to show for it. Entertaining the kids, drinks with friends and neighbours, and some end of season ice fishing all took over my week. But on a positive note, I started to finish off those last five koptas and that includes my two green barons, which I've decided I'm totally painting up as the original red barons.

Hopefully by the end of this upcoming week, I'll have some finished koptas to show off. I'm also planning on going back to my original five and add those awesome rust effects. Toying around with either duplicating some of the camo paint jobs on the original five on these next ones or coming up with some entirely new schemes. Anyone have an camo schemes they'd like to see executed on a kopta or any preferences on the schemes already used, as seen on page 2 of the blog?