News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57458 times)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar)
« Reply #80 on: July 6, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
wow, those marines on top look ghostly... it's an amazing effect that you've managed to get with your color choices.
And those oblits look downright gory!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #81 on: July 6, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »
Absolutley sick! Damn man the colors, the basing the conversions and gore effects are just on point. Wow what a unique trio of units... the paint jobs are just great too. Seriously man great stuff, I love it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2016, 10:24:05 PM »
@vonny Thank you so much for that praise! That was exactly the look I was going for. I wanted to do a nurgle army like it was an undead science fiction army, all rusted and decayed instead of the bloated and diseased armies you typically see.

@Cav Thanks again for the push to go with the snow effects. I think it fits perfectly with the theme. I really need to start taking these guys out of the basement for some natural lighting in my photos, but with two young kids these guys never see the light of day.

Coming up: 5 more deffkoptas for my upcoming game on Friday, two with buzzsaw conversions.

And here's my proposed list. I hope its not too overpowered, but heck, its only orks I'm bringing to the table. What's my opponent got to be afraid of.  ::)

FOC 1 Primary Detachment [1103]

Warboss   ('eavy armour, Attack Squig, Killchoppa)(99)
Warboss   ('eavy armour, big choppa)(69)

29 Slugga Boyz + PK Nob (215)
29 Slugga Boyz + PK Nob (215)

Deffkoptas x 1 Rokkit-Launcha+Buzzsaw (55)
Deffkoptas x 2 Rokkit-Launcha (60)

Killa Kans x 3 Grotzooka (165)

FOC 2 Secondary Detachment [645]

Painboy (50)
Painboy (50)

9 Shoota Boyz + PK Nob (105)
   Trukk (30)

Grots x 10 + Runtherd (35)

Deff Dread +2 powerklaw (100)

(1748)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:06:37 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2016, 06:54:56 AM »
Very nice stuff as always DoW. Always loved the Deff Coptas... I remember how excited everyone was when they first came out. Love the kill saws on the front, very cool.

I forgot about the snow effects thing, but I'm glad I encourage you because it looks super striking with the unique color choices you made. Really nice collection of armies you've got DoW, keep it up!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2016, 11:01:36 PM »
Thanks Cav, I'm really looking forward to using all ten in tomorrow night;s game. I honour of our new ork git, Roboknee77, I'm revamping my list to use all the kans I have for a true kan wall army.

FOC 1 Primary Detachment [1205]

Warboss   ('eavy armour, Attack Squig, Killchoppa)(99)
Warboss   ('eavy armour, big choppa)(69)

25 Slugga Boyz + PK Nob (191)

25 Slugga Boyz + PK Nob (191)

Killa Kans x 3 Rokkits (150)

FOC 2 Secondary Detachment [545]

Painboy (50)
Painboy (50)

(1750)

Here's what 1750 of ork looks like.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:04:09 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2016, 11:20:11 PM »
The orks are back on the table and it feels like a homecoming. Man I missed these greenskins. Had a great battle last night using the previously posted list. There were a lot of flops and a lot of surprises. The dice gods were not at all with me, but overall we ended up on the winning side, I think.

My opponent brought:

Lucius The Eternal

Helbrute w/ power scourge, TL-lascannon
Helbrute w/ thunder hammer, multi-melta

Thousand Sons x6 w/ sorcerer
Possessed x 6 + rhino w/ havoc launcher
Noise Marines x8 w/ sonic blasters + blastmaster + champion w/ powersword
Noise Marines x8 w/ sonic blasters + blastmaster + champion w/ powerfist

Bikes x3 w/ x2 plasma
Nikes x3 w/ x2 melta

Obliterator x3 separate units

After typing this out, I figured out it wasn't a bound list with 4 elites. Not concerning, just a note that I'll have to bring it up with my opponent. With only half dozen games under his belt, he's still learning.

So he rolls for boon of mutation on the psychic table and takes the primaris as well. He has two gifts for his possessed champion and rolls for shrouded and, guess what, gets daemon prince again.

I preset the table with terrain, having a certain scenario in mind. I thought we'd have the chaos army defending a city from an advancing ork horde. I gave him line of sight blocking terrain and buildings, to give his particular gun-line style army an advantage with my orks having a few ruins and ork barricades to hide behind.

I setup first and give him the advantage to setup after me in response. Then we roll off to see who goes first. I win and my entire first turn is spent moving and running forward.

He had ended up keeping most of his units on the bottom floor of the building, so he had no line of sight of most of my army. He advances his bikes and with their plasma and melta and all of his obliterators, they end up killing two kans from my center unit and
I fail a cowardly grot test. The rhino with the possessed and daemon prince advance.

My turn brings on 3 of the pairs of koptas and one of the green barons. The kans on the right advance on the bikes, my left dread on the other unit of bikers. 4 koptas come in behind his noise marines on the left side of the board and 2 kopta and the baron come in on the right side behind the other marines. The kans on the left advance and fire their grotzookas into the noise marines in the ruins and annhilate half of them, including the blastmaster.

The kans on the right charge the bikers. They kill one in combat, but I lose a hull point in overwatch and then two more to krak and melta bombs, one of the kans losing his klaw. The dread charges the other bikers, who fail to damage him. He kills two and the champion flees. All the koptas on the board only end up causing a single hull point to be stripped off a helbrute.

Now that my opponent has a threat in his back field he turn all of his attention to the koptas. The sorcerer attempts some Tzeentch's Firestorm, does no damage but ends up sucking himself into the warp. The decimated noise marines advance and fire sonic weapons killing off two koptas. The helbrutes take out some more with the help of the full squad of noise marines. The rest are cleaned up by obliterators. Only my single buzzsaw kopta remains unscathed. Havoc launcher from the rhino picks off a few boyz and there's a lone shot on a kan and I lose another hull point. The rhino and daemon prince advance further. The prince tries to charge my dread but rolls snake eyes in a horrible charge attempt.

A little devastated with my loss of most of my koptas, I reassure myself that I was able to nullify his entire turn off shooting with sacrificng 180 points. The other koptas fail to arrive from reserve this turn and I set my sites at exacting some revenge.

The dread that was about to be charged by the daemon prince, skirts him and charges into the combat with the bikers and kans, easily finishing them off. The large unit of boyz with my warlord move in to fill the gap the dread left and unload sluggas into the prince, removing 3 wounds. They charge into combat, lose a few to his high initiative attacks, but it takes only the regular boyz to take him down.

A unit of grots advance on the now recovered biker champion on the other side of the board and charge in. They end up holding him up for another full two rounds of combat, before being relieved later on by the lone kan to finish the job.

The other dread advances on the thousand sons, but neither cause a wound thanks to my terrible close combat rolling and their invulnerable saves.

Full unit of kans fire into an obliterator and cause an unsaved wound. The buzzsaw kopta attempts to get into combat with the obliterator on the other side of the board, but fails his charge.

The boyz advance and run to setup a charge next turn with the smaller unit of noise marines.

His turn sees some boyz in the warlord units going down from sonic weapons and the helbrute, but not nearly as many as should have thanks to feel no pain. His obliterator charges the killsaw kopta, he fails horribly in his hit dice and the buzzsaw slices him in half with two wounds. The possessed disembark, even though their rhino is surrounded and stand behind the orks looking silly. The thousand sons lose two in combat, he chooses not to voluntarily fail his morale with the "our weapons are useless rule" and fails his combat resolution anyways and the dread catches him. I realize they had fearless, as I'm typing this now,but, hey. 40k is a complicated game. We all make mistakes. :)

The small unit of noise marines fire into the other boyz and only take a few. The last two oblterators fire into the kans and fail to do any damage.

At this point, I declare my Waaagh! The warlord and his boyz, move, run and then make it into a charge with the large unit of noise marines, but not before the grots try to charge them to redirect their overwatch and lose a few and fail their charge. The champion with the fist calls out my warlord and I accept. I horribly fail my attack rolls, but luckily he does as well. The only wound that the boyz end up causing are from the power klaw nob, as amazingly, 16 boyz on the charge failed to make a single wound stick. It didn't help I was making 30% of my rolls where the average should have
been 50%. Oh well, the dice gods are always fickle.

The last of the koptas come in and take paltry shots at the helbrute with no results. The three damaged kans and the dread charge the helbrute with the scourge. The kans first and they survive the overwatch. I lose a kan to his attacks and the dread causes only a single hull point of damage, thanks to more terrible rolling. My other dread, hot off the thousand sons kill charges his other helbrute, but he rolls a 6 for his overwatch and ends up immobilzing my dread with his multimelta.

The other boyz charge the small unit of noise marines and lose a few to overwatch. At this point my opponent reminds me that Lucius is in this squad and I get a little nervous. He calls me out and my other warboss accepts. He hits me with 5 dice, but thanks to my toughness, he fails to cause a single wound while my warboss causes him an unsaved wound. The boys take out two noise marines only, but don't lose any of their own.

At this point we're at the bottom of the turn and we decide to call it after this. He uses his obliterators to finish off the immoblized dread. My warboss strips another wound off Lucius and comes out unscathed, while his boyz finish the rest of the marines.
My warlord kills the power fist champion and a few more marines go down. I lose another kan to the scourge helbrute, which is finished off by the dread, finally with some good rolls.

So in the end, I've lost 6 koptas, 4 kans, a dread, some grots and some boyz. He's lost a helbrute, and obliterator, daemon prince, two units of bikes, a unit of noise marines, and a unit of thousand sons. His remaining helbrute has a single hull point left, his
remaining noise marines are being ground down, Lucius has a single wound left, and he has the two obliterators and possessed marines unscathed.

As we were not playing tactically with objectives or missions, I feel that it was a close game, edging on an ork win.

I felt a little lack luster with the kans, only because they didn't have many viable targets. They did a wonderful job when they had something to shoot at (5 marines dead in one turn of shooting with only three kans) and drew a lot of the enemies fire power, which helped my assault army to make it into combat. The Koptas were the same, very little luck at hitting anything, but they did their job at distracting the enemy, which allowed me to deliver my payload of greenskins to the enemy lines. Even with terrible dice rolling, the green tide did their job and I was certainly surprised that the
warboss made out so well in his combat with Lucius. Dreads with four close combat arms are going to be my go to from now on, as it allowed me to run them every turn without being distracted by the idea that shooting a single rokkit with ork ballistic skill is a good idea.

Thanks for reading. I believe a game of man o' war is up next in a few weeks. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:01:53 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2016, 07:10:54 AM »
Hey DoW nice bat-rep. Always great to see Chaos vs. Orks always thought that was an interesting matchup. Their power levels in the game are roughly equal at the moment so there's a good potential for close combat glory.

It was a real bust-up. I like how you thematically setup the terrain as well. I always try to tell a story with the terrain. Its something I picked up from Scorpion82.

Anyway nice stuff, glad you had fun with your Orks. Where's a bat-rep with your Eldar!? lol Seriously though I'd love to see them in action. Anyway thanks DoW!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2016, 12:04:43 PM »
That was a very close game of punch and counter punch from the start.  Certainly a very enjoyable read and Chaos versus Orks often seems to produce close games.  As always, the sheer numbers of the Orks were tough for Chaos to counter, and that was the problem that I cost your opponent in the end.  He was unable to kill your Boyz fast enough, and those Koptas absorbed too much fire power which need to be directed at the Boyz, so you made good use of those.

I'm looking forward to seeing the game of Man O'War :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2016, 09:49:06 PM »
Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I work in the retail industry and I haven't had much time over the past few months. I did however have time to complete my two dreads and finish two units of x3 killa kans. I've been experimenting with some Typhus Corrosion and Ryza Rust on these walkers and I think the effect looks fantastic, but I wanted to get your guys opinions before I started finishing off everyone with the same.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:59:19 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2016, 04:32:49 AM »
I think they look good DoW. I'm guessing that it was a really old, corroded look that you were going for and if that's the case, I think you've done it well.

For me, I think that it would be good to have a little more of the Ryza Rust coming through. Little pockets of corrosion that then join up with the areas that have also been weathered with Typhus Corrosion. I think it will provide a more natural look. That said, that might just be me. They look good already, and if you leave them where they are, they will look great as part of an army.

Glad to see you working the hobby again bud!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2016, 07:12:46 AM »
Hey DoW! Long time no see buddy. Really dig the model I think you did a great job painting him. Yeah I agree with Loosh, thinking you could up the Ryza Rust... but overall fantastic paint job and great modelling. Truly top notch! Glad to see you on, always nice to see your great models!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, I was worried that I had overdone the rust. It may not all be showing up in the photos, but I'm glad it wasn't too much. Here's the second dread with a little more "rust-ic" look.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:56:32 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2016, 10:05:34 AM »
Love these Killa Kans! Are they converted or have they updated the models and I haven't noticed?

Either way, they look fantastic :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2016, 09:13:51 AM »
Those are actually the latest deff dreads. They've updated the kills kans as well, but I much prefer the older models, the new ones look two much like dreads. Thanks for the compliment!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »
I like that 2nd Dread a lot DoW! Really nice weathering. It may be down to the lighting being better, but the rust effects really pop.

Have you thought about weathering the camo armour panels at all? They look really clean, but at the moment I think they're a little too clean. That's my only criticism, otherwise it's a great mini.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2016, 03:51:16 PM »
It never really occurred to me to weather the paint job. I agree that it would tie everything together. How would you go about choosing where to weather? Should I pick corners and edged where the paint would most likely get chipped off? Or should I look into doing more battle damage and weather the dents and holes? Or a combination of both? Thanks for the awesome idea.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2016, 04:23:27 PM »
No worries man, happy to help!

I think that you can go for a 'less is more' approach. Kinda along the lines that the armour plates might actually get replaced occasionally. As such, a few of the edges, maybe the odd scratch and weapon blast mark.

I tend to use sponging for that kind of work. If it's something that you haven't tried before, I'd be happy to give you a couple of pointers, but I'd suggest that YouTube is your best friend here!!
« Last Edit: January 1, 2017, 03:54:30 AM by Looshkin »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #97 on: January 1, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
Wow super impressive DoW. Really just a huge fan of your approach to modelling and painting in general. Very classic but with a new school twist (think I've mentioned that before but its true). What a freaking beast this guy is! Just fantastic all round.

Have you gotten any games in with them? Let me know how they did! Anyway great stuff bud happy new year :)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #98 on: January 2, 2017, 09:21:54 PM »
@Looshkin I tried adding some weathering to the desert camo dread, just sticking with the modeled chips and obvious edges. Not sure if I love the result, as it was very difficult to dry brush the Ryza Rust on such small areas of Typhus Corrosion. I think I'll hold off on adding anymore and practice the rust effects on some koptas that are badly in need of painting.

@Cav thanks again for all the praise. Coming from such an excellent painter as yourself mean a lot. I guess my old school look comes from the extensive use of a brush. I even prime and base coat with a brush. The paint jobs tend to look dirty and rough, which helps for orks and chaos, not so much for eldar. But that might all change, as my new compressor and airbrush are on the way as we speak, which I hope will help move my painting to the next level. Sadly, I have yet to get in a game since my last bat-rep. My one opponent in town came down with some very serious medical conditions and my only other opponent is my brother that lives an hour a way. I've never tried playing at the LGS in Barrie, I'm just nervous to play outside my circle, as I'm such a casual player and I have no time for ultra-competitive games.

I was able to knock out a few killa kans with the city camo and added the rust effects. Pretty happy with the results. I even tried out doing my first checkered pattern. I still need to finish off basing everything already painted but I'm still not decided on what the finish look is that I'm going for. Was thinking barren wasteland, scorched earth and dead grass, but who knows where I'll end up.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:48:44 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #99 on: January 3, 2017, 02:09:34 AM »
@Looshkin I tried adding some weathering to the desert camo dread, just sticking with the modeled chips and obvious edges. Not sure if I love the result, as it was very difficult to dry brush the Ryza Rust on such small areas of Typhus Corrosion. I think I'll hold off on adding anymore and practice the rust effects on some koptas that are badly in need of painting.

It's certainly not easy, I'll give you that! Do have a look for some tutorials on sponging if you want to explore more weathering techniques though. It's proven to be one of the easiest things that I've tried, with some of the best results for some of the least effort. If you take a look at my project thread, the Knight was fairly extensively weathered, but all in all it took less than 10 minutes to weather the entire mini!

Looshkin's Everything Thread - New Orc Giants Bloodbowl.

Also, I would suggest doing weathering on you armour plates by not doing rust. Sounds odd, but if you aim for paint chips and scratches, it looks beat up but without odd - and probably hard to explain - patches of rust. In your case, I would sponge on tiny amounts of either black or a dark brown, to represent where the top layer of paint has worn or been blasted away. Following that, sponge on an even smaller amount of silver, to show where tiny areas of bare metal have been exposed. Stippling on the damage may also work nicely.

Again though, your models look absolutely terrific as they are. You can be rightly proud of producing 3 top end dreads that are absolutely packed with character and look super Orky!

That last Killa Kan is great. I love how ridiculously oversized the cannon is. I imagine a Mek Boy having to run over to set the thing on its feet again after every shot!

The check pattern is great. Looks to be a super clean, precise finish. Also, I think that this is probably the best set of rust effects that you've produced so far.

Great work DoW, I'm loving what you have produced so far bud - keep it up!