News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ivalyo VII "Outside of Game" Thread - Temporarily on Hold  (Read 15601 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Sign Up / Character Generation Thread for IG Centric RPG
« Reply #20 on: October 3, 2013, 06:48:31 AM »
Whoops! I'd been reading Hellhound somehow. *shakes head* Looks like I might just need to focus on those details a little closer!

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #21 on: October 3, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
Evidently, Acer's much like Ciaphas Cain.

"Did you read the briefing documents?"
*Lying* "Yes."

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #22 on: October 3, 2013, 10:00:14 AM »

*Lying* "Yes."

HA! Nice.

So, GBT sent me a PM stating that I haven't spend enough points so now I need to expand.

He suggeted that I also take an infantry squad to blob up with, so that'd be 9 guardsmen and 4 missile teams.  I'm not sure about this because that would include a Sergant and Cassie doesn't like taking orders.

I had two alternative ideas.
1) That she would be teamed with another HWS with either heavy bolters or mortars
2) Have a unit of conscripts to stand in front of her. And maybe she can boss them around as well.

Thoughts?
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
« Reply #23 on: October 3, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »
Maybe take two lascannons? That'll push you up to 100 points in game terms, and then you can have some really juicy perks for Cassie's special missile launcher. It's not an optimal combination in actual tabletop 40K, but actual HWS don't have GBT's roleplaying perks.

Speaking of perks, something that came to mind instantly when you presented Cassie was... I don't know if you remember the Eye Of Terror battle reports in White Dwarf (about ten years ago!), but there was one where this Guardsman in a ruined city took aim at a Defiler as it was tearing things up, and managed to thread a krak missile through all these broken girders, bits of rubble etc. and OHKO the Defiler. So maybe her having "customised" her missile launcher could make it Master-Crafted or Twin-Linked (functionally the same thing with a one-shot weapon)? Maybe you could give her Tank Hunter on top of that, or give her the ability to issue Fire On My Target! to her own unit?

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
« Reply #24 on: October 3, 2013, 11:00:38 AM »
Do the Items/Weapons/upgrades we take need to come straight from the codex? or could I have, for example, a squad of Ogryns, a couple of which choose to carry heavy bolters instead of ripper guns. Could my Special ability be move and fire for the heavies? maybe have it replace furious charge on for them. That would make logical sense at least. Let me know if that's reasonable, because I think I want to play an Ogryn squad, but I want a bit of variety too.
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #25 on: October 3, 2013, 02:39:20 PM »

*Lying* "Yes."

I'm a big picture kind of guy. Details are for the scribes. :P

@Halollet

Your character could be the Sergeant, so she could "boss" the squad and not have to take orders from within her own unit. ;) We could expand that concept into her being an "officer", with nearby peoples to order about, should that float your boat.

@Skoops,

I'm down with weapon swaps for Ogryns... and adding relentless [?] should give them the option to move about, crack off some shots, and still put the thump on things. Being more "civilized", it would make sense to drop furious charge. :)

4 guys [including Bone 'ead] with weapon swaps and Relentless puts you in the right ball park, points wise. I'd say Heavy Bolters are good [Basically longer ranged Ripper Guns], Autocannons would be ok, and Missile Launchers would probably be ok too. I think Lascannons stretch it a bit too far, as the "techy" side of maintenance would go beyond the Ogryn's abilities, I'd think, though imagining Ogryns with Lascannon "sniper rifles" makes me smile. *Precision shot!*

You could probably stretch to 5 guys, if we went with "Slow and Purposeful" instead of Relentless, or maybe a more significant Bogie. Maybe. I'd have to think about it. :)

@Ranger [Mostly for everyone else's benefit]

We've been PM'ing, and Ranger's unit at the moment is a squad of Vets, with Carapace, Hot Shots, 3x Meltas, a Chimera, and his Commissar character joining them.

@ Koval [Mostly for everyone else's benefit]

We've been PM'ing, and at the moment, Koval's got a Devildog with Scout and Twin-linked Melta-Cannon. Even though Devil Dog is never the answer. Probably why I got it wrong before. ;)

Offline Halollet

Re: Sign Up Thread for IG Centric RPG - No books required!
« Reply #26 on: October 3, 2013, 08:02:49 PM »
@Skoops

I think Slow and Purposful is much more Ogryn then relentless.  Heavy bolters with chainswords as bayonets would be awesome and fit right in with the Ogryn fluff!
Also, I think one of them should own a "I hug on the first date" t-shirts! :p

@GBT

You got me thinking about her being in a bigger squad and using more points.  Then I had a facepalm moment; why is she not in a veteran squad with the Demolitions upgrade?  *facepalm*

So a Veteran Squad with Demolitions, 3 grenade lauchers, Missile Launcher (Cassandra) is 130 points. The ultimate "I love explosions" unit.

Cassie will be the Veteran Sergeant for all intents and purposes, and I would like her to have the following special rules

Hive Gang Tenacity: Cassandra gain Scout, Relentless, and has Summary Execution
Krak Shot: Cassandra is BS 5 when firing her missile launcher and opponents have to reroll successful cover and jink saves against her shooting attacks.
Demotion Expert: Cassandra has customized her own special missiles.  She may only fire them only once per battle.
Melta Missile: Str 8 AP 1, Armorbane, Gets Hot
Incindiary Missile: Str 3 AP -, Blast, Soul Blaze

What do you think?
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #27 on: October 3, 2013, 08:46:51 PM »
@ Halollet:

You could use an incendiary missile with S4, AP5, Soul Blaze Blast profile. Napalm, anyone?

One Melta-missile, one incendiary, and all the Krak / frag she can handle?

Comparing this to a Harker Vet unit, with a mobile Heavy weapon Sarge [with a whack of special rules!] I think you're about the right power level as a 150 pt unit with some decent perks / weapon options.

I'm happy to roll with this if you are. :)

Offline skoops6

« Reply #28 on: October 4, 2013, 12:04:29 AM »
Ok then, 2 grunts, 2 gunners and myself, slow and purposeful and some other possible boogie, I can deal with that. I'll have my profile up soon :)
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

• Ancient
« Reply #29 on: October 4, 2013, 02:12:58 AM »
Just as a thought for your Bogie: Ogryns generally need to have "Ogryn-Proof" weapons*, so that they don't break when their Ogryn users try to either fire them, or bash people over the head with them. So, perhaps your heavy bolters have been "modified" by a well-meaning Enginseer so that they're Ogryn-Proof, but as that's impaired the weapons' overall performance, maybe they need to re-roll one successful hit per heavy bolter per turn (in effect the opposite of Master-Crafted)?

*I mean, even in Codex: Imperial Guard we're told that ripper guns need to be made almost unbreakable :P
« Last Edit: October 4, 2013, 03:05:36 AM by Koval, Master Verispex »

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #30 on: October 4, 2013, 06:42:18 AM »
Hey Skoops,

I thought you'd wanted all of the guys to swap out their weapons... Slow and Purposeful is probably needlessly punitive if you've only got a couple of long range guns. Relentless should work if you're only looking to swap a couple of guns. We still want the grunts and Bone'ead to be of use!

Have you thought about which member will be your character?

Offline Halollet

« Reply #31 on: October 4, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »
Alrighty, here's version two! :D

Name: Cassandra Vlachen
Answers to: Ma'am and Vlachen.  Will respond to Cassie but only among friends.
Sex: Female

Rank/Former Regiment: Convict/13th Penal Legion

Personality:
   Cassandra grew up in the slums of a hive city.  She became a hive gang member at the age of 15 out of the need to survive.  Her tenacity, leadership, and ruthlessness grew a sharpened edge.  Her voice had weight in the gang and usually led small skirmishes against other groups.  Having little respect for authority and a outlandish wildside had her land in prison multiple times for various crimes. Colonel Shaeffer picked her for the legion because in one escape attempted she was able to blow the lock on her cell door using compounds in the "food" they were being served.  She's a self taught demolitions expert with the scars to prove it.  During her time in the Penal Legion, she fought in a battle against a Tyranid invasion.  This secured her freedom but her choices were only the slums of the hive city or the imperial guard.  Knowing that life in the hive was as dead end for her, she chose to join the guard and finally do something with what's left of her life. That and the beds are nicer.

Physical Appearance:
   Growing up as a hive ganger has left its mark on Cassandra.  Her body has many scars of her former life as well as many tattoos.  She keeps her blood red hair rather short, usually cutting it with a knife.  Life in the hive has left her impressively strong and toned.  She has scar tissue from a bad burn on the left side of her face and her eyebrows have yet to grow back in after her last oops.

Unit: Veteran Squad
Unit Upgrades: Grenade Launcher x3, Meltabombs, Demolition Charge
Composition:
Sergeant Cassandra Vlachen - Missile Launcher
'Flint' - Loader
'Rampart', 'Bronx', ’Romeo' - Grenade Launchers
'Rico' - Demolition Charge
'Knife', 'Ranger', 'Diva', 'Whiplash', 'Misfire'

Special Rules:
Hive Gang Tenacity: Cassandra gain Scout, Relentless, and has Summary Execution
Krak Shot: Cassandra is BS 5 when firing her missile launcher and opponents have to reroll successful cover and jink saves against her shooting attacks.
Demotion Expert: Cassandra has customized her own special missiles.  She may only fire them only once per battle.
Melta Missile: Str 8 AP 1, Armorbane, Gets Hot
Incendiary Missile: Str 4 AP 5, Blast, Soul Blaze

Wargear:  Customized missile launcher, frag and krak Grenades, meltabombs, chainsword, combat knife, uniform, flak vest, backpack, compact bomb disposal tool kit, remote detonator with 5 small charges, 20 feet of fuse line, mess kit, dog tags

Known Crimes: Arson, larceny, smuggling, destruction of property, obstruction of justice, pick pocketing, witness intimidation, prison escapes, jaywalking.
Reassigned to Ambrasian 519th: Transferred from the 13th Penal Legion for her expertise in demolitions and leadership qualities.  Caution: Further discipline may be necessary.

Offline skoops6

« Reply #32 on: October 4, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
I think I want to play as the bonehead, so my character can have a basic grasp on tactics at least. I thought of another possible boogie, perhaps I have one of the other Ogryns challenge me for leadership of the squad at some time, that could be interesting. I keep having to postpone my character, stuff keeps coming up :( . Today or tomorrow it will be up!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #33 on: October 4, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »
Oh, I think we're good as is... no bogies required for two weapon swaps... Ogryns are on the low end of points efficiency, in my book, so I think we've got a pretty good power balance between players.

If anyone has concerns about power balance between players, feel free to PM me.

I'm going to work out the Army list for the first "adventure" this weekend. I'm also going to head to GW for some $0.00 research. Once I've got that down, I'll start the game thread, which will have a week of get-to-know you posts, maybe two weeks if I'm slow, or we're having fun at that.

We'll be starting aboard the landing craft. It is sufficiently large enough to hold 2500 points of assorted Imperial war-waging goodness... so I'm thinking it's pretty big. I'll need Koval to fill in the details of ship class and such. :P

Crap, I'm going to need to take the ideas I have and start filling in the details, like planet name and such, aren't I? Where are those scribes? Sharpen the auto-quills, servitors!

• Ancient
« Reply #34 on: October 5, 2013, 05:49:04 AM »
We'll be starting aboard the landing craft. It is sufficiently large enough to hold 2500 points of assorted Imperial war-waging goodness... so I'm thinking it's pretty big. I'll need Koval to fill in the details of ship class and such. :P
Void ships are huge things by their very nature, as the Warp drive alone is a massive thing -- most frigates and freighters are about 1.6-2km long by about 300-400m or so wide. Crew complements generally number in the tens of thousands.

I'd imagine a small- to medium-sized regiment could fit fairly easily on board a freighter, but I have no idea how huge the Ambrasian 519th actually is.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #35 on: October 5, 2013, 09:59:44 AM »
Ok, well, a freighter should be more than sufficient. How about, The Palmatum. That's where we'll start. A somewhat run down ship, kept afloat well enough thanks to the tender attentions of the many Tech-Adepts that the Ambrasians seem to attract. Very few members are blown out of failed air locks, or faulty observation ports. Acceptable losses. *nods head in affirmation*

There's plenty of space, the Ambrasian's last mission cost them a great deal of men and, more importantly, equipment. Hence the influx of new "recruits". That's a good way to explain why none of the players are Ambrasian natives. ;) Unless Skoops' boys started out on Cerberus, the penitentiary planet the original members hail from.

We'll maybe have a couple of posts aboard ship, we'll land, get settled and sorted, and then head off to battle. That should give everyone a chance to try on their characters, and give me a chance to set the stage with a bit of background and foreshadowing...

• Ancient
« Reply #36 on: October 5, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »
I've just realised I haven't actually named Madigan's crew (or her tank!). So, a question for our arboreal GM: would these be Madigan's original tank/crew from her old regiment, or would Command turn round and go "here's your new tank, here's your new crew, fill your boots" instead?

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #37 on: October 5, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
The Ambrasian regiments tend to experience sudden losses. The nature of their assignments and such.

As such, members are frequently assigned and reassigned to replace losses, and to spread expertise around. That said, the members tend to distinguish themselves with aptitudes for certain roles, and tend to stick to similar roles after awhile.

So... to answer your question and to reveal the god in the machine, you're welcome to take whomever and whatever kind of crew you'd like to start with. Losses will be replaced between battles, so if half your squad gets wiped because they decided to stand in front of a line of boltguns, you'll be replenished with identically skilled replacements.

For example, I can reasonably replace Ranger's Kriegers with reserves that have been put elsewhere for the battle. I might have a tougher time replacing your Tank crew with other Devil Dog tank crew from your previous regiment, unless a large section of tank crew were involved in drunken brawls.

That presumes we're at all worried about such things as "reasonable", which I'm not terribly worried about. Maybe several crews were reassigned because the entire section was deemed to be undisciplined or some such. I can deal with whatever method of crew replacement you'd like.

In my mind, Action Oriented RPG mean that you can put pretty near any kind of fluff behind your characters, because I don't have to worry about representing that fluff with a lot of rules or obscure options. The rules for combat are well established, so I don't need to worry about what different patterns of Lasgun can do in game, for example. That also lets us play with the narrative aspect, where a poor round of shooting might represent your unit's High End weaponry breaking down mid battle, or a bad round of Plasma Fire might be reflected by pissing off the Techpriest assigned to maintain your weapons. :)

Which I hope doesn't dissuade people from putting fluffy elements in. On the contrary, I hope that we can play a game of 40k with a bunch of story built into it, with events being somewhat randomly resolved due to the nature of the game, which hopefully inspires story as we go.

3rd modification? So what?!? ;) I enjoy that kind of story telling, which I hope everyone else will as well. For example, I was going to insert a recent character of mine in as a Sgt Harker stand in... but Halollet has sort of stepped into that role, so now he's going to be something darker. The fixed nature of rules in an Action RPG can allow for a lot of flavour being added in around it, that don't need to be reflected with +/- 1 modifiers on d20 rolls, for example.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2013, 12:03:30 PM by GreatBigTree »

• Ancient
« Reply #38 on: October 5, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »
The Ambrasian regiments tend to experience sudden losses. The nature of their assignments and such.
Understandable.

So... to answer your question and to reveal the god in the machine, you're welcome to take whomever and whatever kind of crew you'd like to start with.
[...]
I might have a tougher time replacing your Tank crew with other Devil Dog tank crew from your previous regiment, unless a large section of tank crew were involved in drunken brawls.
Cool beans -- I'll amend my post with a Known Associates entry, in that case.

And no, although the Maverians might naturally gravitate towards a bottle of moonshine (which I'm going to say is a cultural thing), I doubt a whole bunch of them would've all been shipped out at once for drunken brawling -- and certainly not to the same place if they were. Drunkenness may be a problem, but usually they're more given to passing out (or making a lot of noise) than actually fighting. So that'll mean that Madigan and maybe a couple of other Maverians got shipped out to the 519th, with other similar miscreants being "dealt with internally" -- in practice, I can deal with "unknown" replacement crew.

On such a note... the more I think about it, the less sense I think it makes for Madigan to have kept her old tank -- the regiment can justifiably give it to someone more deserving, and let the Ambrasians worry about it when they get Madigan dropped on them.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #39 on: October 5, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »
Well, you're welcome to the best that the Ambrasians have to offer... which may have Cadian, Valhallan, or even Armegeddon markings beneath a quick coat of paint. ;)

Tee-hee, teaser is now up. I've decided against using a software program to create the map. It's easier, and more fun, for me to just make it "real". Scale is approximately 1/3. I think I'll use push pins for infantry, and small boxes for tanks and the like, to represent the units.

First mission will be about 1000 points, depending on what I feel like NPC'ing. :D Each of your units is valued at about 150 points for game terms, which should mean the first mission should go fairly easily. I think. Take a look at the trailer, and tell me if you think the Primary objective is too hard to reasonably accomplish. I want it to be a little challenging, but mostly I want to try the system out to see if it will work, before trying out something more extensive.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2013, 12:33:46 AM by GreatBigTree »