News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Your favorite Obscure Characters  (Read 3001 times)

Offline FirstBornSensei

• Walk softly and carry a big Multi-melta.
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Grey Knights, Imperial Guard, Malal
Your favorite Obscure Characters
« on: August 5, 2013, 06:17:49 PM »
I've got a pretty straight forward set of questions for everyone. Who(or what) are your favorite lesser known wh40k characters/character types.

What is it that you like about them? Where would you like GW to take their storyline if they were revisited? Are they in danger of being written out? Is there any canon conflict concerning them? What don't you like about them?

« Last Edit: August 5, 2013, 06:57:19 PM by FirstBornSensei »
No enemy shall be beyond His wrath.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: Your favorite Obscure Characters
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2013, 06:23:59 AM »
Ollanius Pius always struck a chord with me, but he's been retconned so many times he's a bit of a ship of Theseus at this point, really.

EDIT: Granted, he's not that obscure, but I'm having trouble finding a suitably obscure character without going into characters that only existed in a single publication.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2013, 06:25:12 AM by Sir_Godspeed »

Offline Bumbles

• I supported No'Akei and all I got was this silly title
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 09:34:15 PM »
I agree with Ollanius Pius/Olliander Pius/Oll Peason/anyone else called "OP" in the fluff being quite interesting.
Don't mind John Grammaticus either.

Offline FirstBornSensei

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:43:29 PM »
I'm not exactly sure how well know the canonically ambiguous Sensei are, but I think they qualify for this thread.

For those who may not know,  the sensei are the Emperor's viviparously conceived immortal sons. I'm fairly certain they're sterile,  and many are unaware of their true nature. They are psychic blanks, invisible to even the Emperor himself unless through another's eyes and are thus incredibly difficult to track.

The members of the Illuminati believe they hold the key to the Emperor's return, and cultivate them for mass sacrifice under the guise of protection from the Inquisition which wishes to eradicate them entirely.

Firstly, what I dislike about this is that in a series where the coolest characters tend to be male, the Emperor's female children are all supposedly mortal.
Fun fact: My user name is my head-canon character, who is the only female sensei, ntyc.
GW certainly knows their clientele, I suppose.

I have very strong hopes that GW will progress the Star Child plot line, and if they do I'd be very interested to see how the Inquisition reacts if the Emperor accepts them. I think it's kind of strange the the Inquisition would just assume their continued existence is against his will when he clearly decided to sire them in the first place. I guess being the Emperor's son doesn't get you a free pass after that all that Horus business.

....Annnnd if the Illuminati offs them all, and they don't return in some form  I might just ragequit.

Post Merge: August 13, 2013, 01:02:43 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

I have very strong hopes that GW will progress the Star Child plot line, and if they do I'd be very interested to see how the Inquisition reacts if the Emperor accepts them. I think it's kind of strange the the Inquisition would just assume their continued existence is against his will when he clearly decided to sire them in the first place. I guess being the Emperor's son doesn't get you a free pass after that all that Horus business.

....Annnnd if the Illuminati offs them all, and they don't return in some form  I might just ragequit.

I also wonder if Emps ever bothered mentioning the Sensei to any of the Primarchs, or do they believe the is a virgin like them. Would they be pissed?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:02:43 PM by FirstBornSensei »

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure they were retconned out of canon in the 3rd Edition rulebook, being noted in an Inquisition report as a Tzeentchian cult. Given that this is depicted from an in-universe point of view, however, the Inquisitor in question could simply have been mistaken, but it's fair to say that they've not been mentioned since then.

Having said that, the Squats came back...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 06:41:53 PM »
I always found it a bit silly that the Sensei would have to be first-generation descendants of the Emperor (they'd be immensely powerful by the Imperial ages if they were). Also, they're first-class potential victims of the "Special Snowflake Syndrome". I'm pretty sure the Illuminati was said to gather and keep them, not "cultivate them" as such. (although you may have used the word in a general way, if so, my bad.)

I admit I didn't know the female descendants were supposedly mortal. That's a bit weird - I get the disconnect there. But anyhow, I kinda feel the train has gone on the Sensei and Star Child. Although, who knows, when they get around to finishing the Horus Heresy series, maybe there'll be some mentions?

ntyc.

Narragansett Terrace Yacht Club?

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 05:29:49 AM »
I like the Samurai Jack dude from Outcast Dead. He seems like a boss.
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline FirstBornSensei

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 05:03:45 PM »
I like the Samurai Jack dude from Outcast Dead. He seems like a boss.

Such a good book. *drool*(。’▽’。)♡

ntyc.

Narragansett Terrace Yacht Club?

Yes. Exactly that.

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
I actually thought Outcast Dead was the best of the bad books (Vulkan Lives, Fear To Tread, Battle of the Abyss, the first Dark Angels books). It was interesting, but too much of it didn't make sense (such as a naked marine being able to punch through a Custode's power armour. The same guys who can walk through possessed Marines, and Chapter Masters like they're butter, get dropped by a single World Eater. And Horus lost?)

I thought it had potential to be good, and i wanted it to be (in parts it really was), but i lost it when the time lines got confused. It's my understanding that Prospero and Istvaan happen in a matter of weeks from OD, whilst there's meant to be about 5 years between the two.

But hey-ho. I've heard some theory about the warp messing with time, but i don't really buy that theory.

Having said that, I loved both Samurai Jack, and the Gang-Boss. They were pretty cool characters, of which i'd like to see more.

Also, Harlon Nayl. I'd argue he is an obscure character, and he's pretty cool. As is Moloch, his character is so much fun.
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0