News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warp Spider Phoenix Lord  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Faeluchu

• Let the sunshine in!
  • Armies: Yme-Loc Eldar
Warp Spider Phoenix Lord
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »
So, the title basically says it all: why every Aspect has a Phoenix Lord apart from Warp Spiders? (You might even argue that Scorpions have 2, since first Arhra, now Karandras.) Even if they were the "newest" Aspect in the past, they have been in the game for at least 3 editions already, so that gap could have been filled. Or maybe there was some explanation in older Codexes/Rogue Traders/whatever of why they don't have a PL?
"Tylko jeśli szybowałeś przez niebo na skrzydłach z ognia możesz zrozumieć Jastrzębia"

BYB is too close to BYOB (Bring Your Own Booze) which is how I started gaming anyways. The proper way.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: Warp Spider Phoenix Lord
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:31:44 PM »
It is said probably in the 2nd ed codex that the warp spider phoenix lord was lost in the warp when making a warp jump and has never been seen since then.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Space Merlyn

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Pleidiol wyf
  • Armies: Eldar, Salamanders, 'Nids
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »
Can't spot that in second ed codex, page ref would be good.

Page 11 does say "No-one knows exactly how many Phoenix Lords there are..." and mentions "Some of the Phoenix Lords are as old as the Fall", which suggests some could be newer / younger than others...

Never seen a specific mention of the Warp Spider Phoenix Lord, would be an awesome modelling opportunity if they did introduce one.

The least said about the Eldar Prophecy character ( Lykhosidae??) the better

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:01:10 PM »
The Lykhosidae was not a Phoenix Lord, but rather an extended defensive system of Kaelor's infinity circuit. It was, essentially, an actual Warp Spider which hijacked the body of an Eldar to cure a physical corruption, instead of the usual psychic corruption the Warp Spiders deal with. Eldar Prophesy is actually a rather interesting book which adds far more depth to the Eldar as aliens than the Path books do. In the Path books, Eldar are just highly advanced humans with pointy ears.

But i digress... There is, to the best of my knowledge, no information on the Phoenix Lords of either the Shining Spears, or the Warp Spiders. There was a rumour that Nadau Fireheart was going to be re-envisioned as the Phoenix Lord of the Shining Spears, but as yet that has not been confirmed.

They generally both fall into the same category of the 2 missing Legions. They were initially created to allow people to 'create their own'. Since that practice has fallen onto dark times, however, we await the gap being filled... Which it probably wont.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 01:27:36 PM »
to the best of my knowledge, no information on the Phoenix Lords of either the Shining Spears, or the Warp Spiders. There was a rumour that Nadau Fireheart was going to be re-envisioned as the Phoenix Lord of the Shining Spears, but as yet that has not been confirmed.

Actually, in the new Iyanden supplement, there is a relic item. the lance of the shining spears phoenix lord. As i don't have the book myself maybe someone who does could shed some more light on that for us.

So basically the OP is right, the only aspect to not have one named or hinted at yet are spiders.
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Spirit of Kurnous

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 01:46:19 PM »
probably not one because spiders were not around at the time of Asurman and the Asurya which are the phoenix lords that have been named. the original 6 aspects are the only one to get phoenix lords so far.
If any new phoenix lords appear they wont be of the Asurya though so will be younger and shouldnt be as powerful.
40k:
Eldar=12000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 2000pts

Fantasy:
Slaanesh=5000pts      
Wood Elves=6000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 3000pts
High Elves 3000pts

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »
Thought id add that the Shining Spear phoenix lord is called Drastanta, Tempest of Starlight. You can get his laser lance as a Iyanden special item.

So as it stands, the 2 aspects with no (at least no named) phoenix lord are Warp spiders, and Crimson Hunters.
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 12:03:19 AM »
As far as I'm aware the warp spiders appear first in 2nd edition codex, this is also the first time I see Phoenix Lords as well, so no idea why they don't have one.

Historically pilots have been Guardians (for CWE), kind of grinds that the crimson hunter is an aspect now. Having a PL in a jet that can be blown apart...

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »
Because the Warp Spiders aren't an aspect of Khaine.

All the phoenix lords are part of the 'original set' of aspect warriors trained up by Asuremen at the shrine of Khaine, and are supposed to each represent an aspect of the Eldar Bloody-handed God of War, in his cast as guard, hunter, destroyer, harvester of the dead, ally of Moria-Heg, whatever. All phoenix lords are part of an aspect, but not all aspects have a phoenix lord.

The Warp Spiders aren't such an aspect; they represent a part-mythical, part-real element of the infinity circuit, not one of the Eldar Gods.
I'm not sure if Crimson Hunters are an aspect of Khaine, either.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Chrysalis

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »

All the phoenix lords are part of the 'original set' of aspect warriors trained up by Asuremen at the shrine of Khaine, and are supposed to each represent an aspect of the Eldar Bloody-handed God of War, in his cast as guard, hunter, destroyer, harvester of the dead, ally of Moria-Heg, whatever. All phoenix lords are part of an aspect, but not all aspects have a phoenix lord.

The Warp Spiders aren't such an aspect; they represent a part-mythical, part-real element of the infinity circuit, not one of the Eldar Gods.

I have to disagree with you :)

Warp Spiders represent the "agressive defense" (Codex, P37) way of fighting.
Their outfit represents the warp spider, because those tiny creepers match this aspect, but that doesn't mean they aren't aspect of Khaine.
Fire Dragons take their names & outfit from a mythological creature, the Swooping Hawks from the legend of hawks flying over people who'll die, Striking Scorpions act like scorpions, and so on... But all of them are aspects of Khaine, that's sure. Even Crimson Hunters have an aspect: striking the weak point of the opponent (Codex, P 39).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:26:35 PM by Chrysalis »

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 05:10:30 PM »

Karandras wasn't part of the 'original set' taught by Asurmen...
All Aspect Warriors represent an Aspect of Khaine in one way or another, that's why they're called Aspect Warriors. The Spiders, Spears, Crimson hunters, Slicing Orbs, Shadow Spectres are all Aspects of Khaine.
The Shadow Spectres even have a Phoenix Lord too. Who wasn't taught by Asurmen...

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 07:57:58 AM »
Now, question is, is Karandras an Asuryata or not? They are the first and greatest of the Phoenix Lords, but Karandras is neither the first, not necessarily the greatest if the Striking Scorpions, let alone one of the oldest Phoenix Lords.

But yes, every Aspect has a Phoenix Lord, even if they were not trained by Asurmen. And every Aspect is a representation of violence and death, which means they are strictly in the portfolio of Khaine. Drawing their name and inspiration from something else doesn't matter, anything involving violence makes it Khaine.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.