News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: HeroQuest - OOC (one slot open)  (Read 14994 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
HeroQuest - OOC (one slot open)
« on: April 19, 2013, 11:00:11 AM »

Inspired in part by the re-emergence of this game in my own gaming circles, in part by the wonderful HeroScribe program, and in part by Irisado's online game of this game, I wanted to check the interest for playing HeroQuest - Quest for the BloodOrb (using the Eternal Heroquest rules, a fusion between HeroQuest and Advanced Heroquest).

I would need 4-6 heroes, we would do an update maybe twice a week or so. There are six adventures in total, and each adventure can last weeks depending on the pace and luck of the players and characters. Roleplay is of course encouraged, but this is at heart a tactical boardgame.

So - any takers?

Edit: We had a dropout, and we welcome a replacement killer!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:27:02 AM by Rasmus »

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
Re: HeroQuest - interest check
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »
Id like to participate, but i am a bit hazy on rules. Its been some time ago, that i actually played heroquest, though we did already use some additional rules back then with a couple of new items. I recall the possibility of hiring henchmen.

Anyway, dibs on the dwarf  :P

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »
You won't need that many rules, but I will fill you in. If we have enough players we won't need henchmen, and I have... 4 dwarves to choose from at present. 3 Elves, 2 humans, 1 Halfling. :)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »
I'd definitely be interested, although I have never played it...

Where can j get the rules?
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »
I am sure can get some online versions of both Heroquest and advanced heroquest, but once the game starts I will provide a small rundown on the stuff you need to know. Nothing too complicated. I can't send you a PDF due to copyright of course.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:50:24 PM »
It has been nearly 20 years since I played Hero Quest, and the first two expansions. I think I'd be interested, but how would you do this online? Take a picture of the board every turn?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 03:12:10 AM »
Using HeroScribe I will make a representation of the board for each turn, correct. It takes about 5 minutes to make so it is no bother.

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »
im in
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 06:47:50 AM »
So that's an initial four - I would like two more but we can get started on four.

I am stealing Irisado's excellent rundown on the general mechanics of this stuff. All credit to him.

Quote from: Irisado
Combat in Advanced Heroquest is very like Warhammer, except it uses a D12 system, and you normally only have one attack (unless special rules or a weapon state otherwise).  However, some attacks are more powerful than others, so you can end up rolling a lot of damage dice.  For example, a Barbarian hero with a two-handed sword can end up rolling five, six, or even seven damage dice, depending on his strength.  There are also ranged weapons, spells, treasure, traps, secret doors, and the monsters are much more challenging to defeat than they are in Heroquest.  Chaos Warriors, in particular, live up to their reputation.

Rather than use pre-generated characters, I want to give everyone who wishes to participate the opportunity to personalise their characters.  As a result, you can create your own character name, and the stats of your character will be generated using the Advanced Heroquest dice based system + a fixed number for each stat.  Each stat is D8, D6 or D4 + fixed value.  The fixed value varies between characters.  For example, Elves naturally have more skill with missile weapons, so they have a greater bonus to their BS roll from the fixed value than a human or Dwarf character, while a Dwarf is naturally tougher than a human or Elf, so receives a higher fixed value when generating toughness.

The statline is as follows:

WS (Character's skill with any close combat weapon)
BS (Character's skill with any ranged weapon)
S (Character's strength - influences number of damage dice rolled, and ability to use certain weapons, e.g. a strength of six is needed to use a Longbow, five to use a two-handed sword etc.)
T (Character's toughness)
Sp (Character's speed - how far you can move in combat turns)
Br (Character's bravery - determines how your character reacts in combat against fearsome opposition)
Int (Character's intelligence - helps when trying to identify GM puzzles, quest clues, and for casting certain spells).
W (Character's wounds - N.B. a hero who drops to zero wounds is KO, not dead, so can be dragged by other characters, and/or healed using a potion).
Fate Points (All characters start with two of these.  These are used to negate damage suffered during a combat or from some other attack which would otherwise seriously injure or kill your character.  They are one use only.  During combat, I will automatically use a Fate Point to prevent the death of a character.  Otherwise, fate points are used at the discretion of the player).

Stats and Fate points can be increased between adventures through training, providing you have the money of course  :).

Character types:

The following characters are available for you to choose from:

Human Warrior (Generalist.  Solid in all departments, but doesn't excel in any one particular area.  Great for those of you who like all rounders).
Human Barbarian (Excellent close combat fighter, who is also tough, and strong, but he's not all that bright, and is average with missile weapons.  A good choice for those of you who like charging into combat and worrying about the consequences afterwards).
Human Wizard (Starts with four spells, and his high intelligence comes in very useful in many quests.  He's awful in close combat though, and I mean really awful, cannot use very many weapons at all, and cannot wear armour.  My favourite character, as I love magic, and his high intelligence does help with themed quests and puzzles, but you have to protect him.  If you want to play as a Wizard, make sure you have other party members willing to shield you from combat).
Dwarf (Very good in close combat, solid in all other areas, except speed and intelligence.  Another good choice for all you melée combat lovers.  The Dwarf also provides a bonus to spotting and disarming traps.
Dwarf Wizard (As above, except can cast spells.  The downside is that they are very expensive to learn, and always require an intelligence test.  Two intelligence tests are required for a spell which would normally require one.  Not a choice I would recommend unless you really like this character type).
Elf (Another generalist on the whole, but very good with missile weapons.  A good choice for those of you who fancy shooting monsters, but still able to handle himself in combat.  Adds one to surprise rolls, which is important for deciding who goes first in a combat turn).

Elf Wizard. Much like the human wizard in restrictions, but with an even keener intellect and frailer body.

High Elf (As above, but also has two spells, and, like the Wizard, can learn others.  A touch weaker than the regular Elf in close combat, but still much stronger than the Wizard).

Also adding Halfling to the mix, able to sneak passed enemies to stab them in the back, but lacks the hard-hitting staying-power of the human warrior.
Also comes in magician-flavour, if that's your thing.

Your party:

A party of heroes normally consists of four heroes plus Henchmen.  For the moment, I would rather avoid Henchmen, and have more players, so I have opted to allow six player characters instead of the usual four.  Any more starts causing problems with moving around the board.

It is important to have a varied party.  The monsters you face will vary, and there are other dangers, including traps, and other surprises the GM can throw at you, so diversity is a key ingredient to success.  I thus suggest that all those of you who are interested take a look at the characters, think about which appeals to you, and post a preliminary intention of which character you might like to play, so that we don't end up with a lot of character duplication.

If there are further questions on this subject, please ask them before I tackle other areas, so that I can keep all the discussion on one subject together  :).

Magic:

The standard magic book is the Bright Wizard's spell book. The Bright Wizard's spell book is much more generalist than it appears.  There are some destructive spells, but there are also healing spells, and augementing spells.

Casting spells involves using components.  All magic users start the game with the components needed to cast the spells which they know.  Spells which require one component (all starter spells) mean that you can move and cast magic.  Spells which require two components mean that you must not move to be able to cast them.  Intelligence tests also must be passed to cast some of the more powerful spells (none of these is a starter spell).

Note that components are general, so if you have four spell components you can cast any four spells, or any one spell four times, two spells twice, or variations thereof.

One final point is that Human Wizards can only use a Dagger, Wizard's Staff, or a certain magic weapons (which you cannot start the roleplay with, sorry  ;)).  The Dagger can be thrown, but you might not recover it, so it's risky.  It's a pretty lousy combat weapon.  The Staff is a bit better, but the low strength of the Wizard means that it still won't deal a lot of damage.  Even Goblins can beat the Wizard in close combat, that's how bad he is at hand to hand fighting.

The Elf Wizard is the same, as is the Halfling, whereas the High Elf can use any weapons and armour (but has only two spells to start with) and the Dwarf magician (Runecaster) can use helmets and shield, as well as warhammer, but no armour.

This is the board we will be using.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:33:54 AM by Rasmus »

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 10:38:49 AM »
I always had a thing for Rogues / Thieves in DnD. I'd like to take a character with that kind of role in mind. Maybe Human Warrior, or Elf, or even Halfling. Someone that's good at spotting / disabling traps, perhaps able to backstab, or make poison maybe... I don't know the mechanics behind Advanced Heroquest.

Time for a bit of Google action...

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
id like to do the dwarf magician unless we get no melee characters in which case ill take the dwarf warrior
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 01:10:41 PM »
Id like to smash stuff, so combat dwarf it is  :D

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 01:13:31 PM »
I always had a thing for Rogues / Thieves in DnD. I'd like to take a character with that kind of role in mind. Maybe Human Warrior, or Elf, or even Halfling. Someone that's good at spotting / disabling traps, perhaps able to backstab, or make poison maybe... I don't know the mechanics behind Advanced Heroquest.

Time for a bit of Google action...

A human or elf warrior is a good fighter, whereas the halfling will be a bit less effective. Sneaking is reserved completely for the halfling. Spotting / disabling traps is squarely given to the Dwarves. Elves have a better chance of spotting enemies and surprising them, but pay for it with slightly lower stats than the humans, who have no special talents at all. :)
Backstab (or rather sneaking through enemy locked deathzones and adding attacks where they should not be possible) is Halfling only, but does not add damage, just the ability to sneak passed mobs to attack the ones at the back (useful when three orcs are "blocking" for an archer or magician hiding in the back).

Some hard choices are in store for you. :)

id like to do the dwarf magician unless we get no melee characters in which case ill take the dwarf warrior

Runecaster for Wiggus. Check.

Id like to smash stuff, so combat dwarf it is  :D

Combat-miner for Lonewolf. Check.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 03:07:16 PM »
So I may have found some useful information, and it seems like a legit site, since it is the second or third thing that pops up on google.

I believe Blood Bowl, Inquisitor, and Necromunda have living rulebooks or something to that effect, that can be downloaded legally. Is there such a thing for Advanced Heroquest?

Since we already have a pair of Dwarves, and they're good at handling traps, maybe I'll try my hand at an Elven Archer. Quick reflexes, not a deliberate front line fighter, and I don't have to worry about spells. Would that be a good addition to our current party?

Just a question on the nature of the game, it looks like it is really easy to die / be KO'd. Is that right, or do enemies have significantly poor stats compared to heroes?

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
I believe Blood Bowl, Inquisitor, and Necromunda have living rulebooks or something to that effect, that can be downloaded legally. Is there such a thing for Advanced Heroquest?

Not that I know of.  There are various sites which include additional fan rules, supplementary material, and such the like, but Advanced Heroquest rules are still copyrighted to GW.

If you need any assistance with any GM stuff Rasmus, feel free to let me know.  Otherwise, I'm just going to watch from the sidelines, and see how long the heroes survive :D.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
Am debating between the Elf and the Barbarian....

I tend to favor close combat - but feel like we could use some ranged combat...

Are ranged attacks strong? I know some systems can have them very under/over powered.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »

Are ranged attacks strong? I know some systems can have them very under/over powered.

I've volunteered for an Elven Archer-type. :)

Does anyone know where to purchase either a legal digital copy, or know of where I could buy a paper copy?

Rasmus, will you be taking care of dice rolls, or is there an online dice roller that you favour?

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 10:12:47 PM »

I've volunteered for an Elven Archer-type. :)

Very Well! Beserker it is then
Flawless logic.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 02:38:27 AM »
So I may have found some useful information, and it seems like a legit site, since it is the second or third thing that pops up on google.

Since we already have a pair of Dwarves, and they're good at handling traps, maybe I'll try my hand at an Elven Archer. Quick reflexes, not a deliberate front line fighter, and I don't have to worry about spells. Would that be a good addition to our current party?

Just a question on the nature of the game, it looks like it is really easy to die / be KO'd. Is that right, or do enemies have significantly poor stats compared to heroes?

1.   No, there is no living rulebook for Advanced HeroQuest. And we won’t be playing Advanced Heroquest straight out of the box, but Eternal HeroQuest which is a fan-project combining Heroquest, advanced heroquest, and some common sense. It gives for better gameplay, in my experience.
2.   Ranged combat has been given a bit of boost in Eternal as compared to Advanced, but it takes some tactics to get it right. Expect to have to learn a bit about placement and such as you adventure on.
3.   It is easy to get wiped out, that’s why you have Fate Points. They are your lifelines. Friends that like you that are healers are good too, and a lot of players invest heavily in “Healing Potions inc.” on their first return to town after their adventure.

If you need any assistance with any GM stuff Rasmus, feel free to let me know.  Otherwise, I'm just going to watch from the sidelines, and see how long the heroes survive :D.
Oh the pressure is on! Irisado has run very successful HeroQuest games online, and now I have to at least attempt to measure up.

Ranged attacks inflict decent damage, but you sacrifice a lot of movement as you cannot “move and shoot” with bows and such (only thrown weapons allow for that). However, you can remain “untouched” a lot, hiding behind your armoured friends and shooting the enemies, if your positioning is good. Otherwise you can always try shooting passed/through your friends to hit the enemy. Not always popular, but certainly not impossible. This is one of the ways that ranged combat has been made more effective in Eternal than it was in Advanced, where that option simply didn’t exist.

Does anyone know where to purchase either a legal digital copy, or know of where I could buy a paper copy?

Rasmus, will you be taking care of dice rolls, or is there an online dice roller that you favour?

No, there is no digital copy as far as I know. The game is old and largely abandoned by GW. I sold off a copy of the rules a few months back, but again, we won’t play a strict “Advanced”, so it would not do you 100% justice.
I will handle dicerolls. It is better for pacing not to have to wait for individual dicerolls from players.

Faitherun – Want to reconsider the archer, or sticking with the barbarian.

Also – two slots still open!

Edit: I have another hero incoming as well, so I am reserving a slot, leaving one slot open.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:06:03 PM by Rasmus »

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
Re: HeroQuest - recruitment - one last slot open!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 04:03:30 AM »
count me in. I have never played before, but I will read up on the rules. looks quite interesting.

Edit: I'm considering a halfling, I like the idea of sneaking up behind one of those pompous wizards and slitting their throat  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:41:03 AM by skoops6 »
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!