News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gaming board  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Animenia

Gaming board
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:27:25 PM »
Not long ago the new gaming boards from Games Workshop was released and I was thinking "wow!"... They looked awesome.
However in my opinion it was way overpriced and I decided to just make my own instead.
The major advantage with the boards from GW was the mobility which my board doesn't have... No problem, Most of the games I play with friends is at my place anyway so I started working.

Here's a list of what I've used.
* Urban Road (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300028&prodId=prod1095503&rootCatGameStyle=
* A wooden board (120x120 cm / 47x47 Inches)
* The big box of buildings for Cities of Death
* Sand
* Glue (I used a general wood glue)
* Moonscape (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300028&prodId=prod1095502&rootCatGameStyle=)

I started by placing out the buildings and terrain and drawing up where the road would be placed.

Next I glued the road to the board using Urban Road and a mix using some no-name brand of hobby glue and wood glue.

Start brushing the glue on the board, part by part so that the glue doesn't dry up before you've added the sand. I had some problems deciding what sand to use but ended up just going down to the beach and filling up a bag. I removed all the shells but kept some dried seaweed and smaller rocks to give the surface a more natural look and feel instead of it giving the feeling of a desert.

Board is completely covered in sand

Now I faced a problem. The glue wasn't even completely on the board so as you can see on the picture I had spots where the glue was thinner. Now this turned out good for me cause I turned these spots into small rivers of toxic waste which gave the board a nice feature of difficult terrain :)

Which came to look like this.
I also sprayed some scorch marks which also works as markers for where the buildings are placed.

I decided to only make two craters (Moonscape) permanent and did the same as with the board itself. I sprayed the crater black and brushed it with the hobby glue and added the sand.
Next I filled in the cracks using a smaller brush and drew red with an even smaller brush to give the feel of the crater being newly created and still warm from what caused it.

I painted one of the toxic rivers using goblin green and the center of it with dark angels green. This spot will have bodies in it which has caused the waste to turn darker.
The other rivers I painted with scorpion green.
I also added watereffect but only a thin, brushed out layer to make it sparkle.
The darker river will get two more layers cause it's supposed to look deeper than the others.

With the buildings painted and everything set up the board looks like this

A few friends of mine who hadn't seen the buildings of the cities of death box wanted to know the size of the buildings so I took two pictures to show the scale of it.

Stay tuned for further progress :)

Offline Screwhead

• Keeping Music Evil
Re: Gaming board
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 06:50:01 PM »
Cool! I really like how those "rivers" turned out, that looks really neat!

Offline Animenia

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 06:56:37 PM »
Thanks!
I like the "sickly" green look it has, Similar to that of the rods you use for the Necron weapons :D

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »
Nice, I like it, though I think it's a bit empty, a few more buildings and craters would go along way or something like pipelines and storage tanks.
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

Offline Animenia

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:47:36 AM »
More buildings are coming. When I bought the box for the buildings there were prints for how to assemble the bigger buildings that also are sold separetly but I have tons of bits left to pretty much put together anything so more buildings are on it's way.

The though of having pipelines has crossed me before and I will look deeper into it.
I also have a bunch of road blocks and stuff like that that I haven't quite finished yet so more of the "smaller" terrain will be added :)

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »
In that case, awsome, I look forward to seeing the completed product.
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!