News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k gun question  (Read 7129 times)

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
Re: 40k gun question
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2009, 03:15:39 PM »
Well, its also hard to determine what is used for anything in 40k, because we only have Solar Elements to use as a basis. For example, we have no idea what Adamantium is (Its actualy a derivitive of the greek word Adamant, which was Diamond). It may be an alloy, or another Element altogether. For the same reason, its impossible to know what the Tau use as a fuel source. However, i think it's safe to say that the Pulse Rifle functions, in principal, like a Plasma Rifle, just on a smaller scale with adiquate safeguards.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Sayt

• The Devil you think you know.
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2009, 03:57:35 PM »
Oh, that's just an awful description. That's a prime example of how wikis go wrong.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2009, 03:59:14 PM »
Oh I don't know. One of the do's in science fiction (and certainly in science fantasy) is to keep things vague enough for them to remain relevant as science advances.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2009, 05:05:35 PM »
Yet that one was trying to relate the stated issues with plasma weapons (plasma guns/rifles) with all weapons that have "plasma" somewhere within their narration. Not a good idea when mixed. For example  - please tell me more about these safety features on Pulse rifles.  :)
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »
What the hell are you throwing rhetorical questions at me for? I just told you that it was vague! And when you have to do with stuff that we today cannot understand how works, then unless you're a physics major: keep the hell away from details. Probably even then.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »
Perhaps you should consider looking at your own safety features as there's a potential for overload developing. The cooling systems appear clogged and the plasma conduction arrays at maximum.

Tell it to the authors of the pieces as they are the ones confused with details. Correct?
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2009, 07:02:30 AM »
Are you telling me I'm getting worked up? Haha, that's okay, as I did get somewhat agitated for being targeted by a question that you *knew* I had no basis whatsoever to answer. Which is okay sometimes to do I guess, but gets a bit tiresome.

Regardless of who did what and why, it IS perhaps a too rapid and simplistic; for example, stating that it simply shoots "plasma" is borderline nonsense. I mean, it might be true; but that's like saying that a stubber shoots a solid projectile. For all we know that 'solid' prjectile could be poop, or it could be dandelions. Or - most likely - it's some kind of metal alloy. Same with plasma: what kind of plasma? So, I'll give you that.
Now, with those cooling and failsafes, I guess they could've been slightly more accurate. Perhaps they could've looked into how they do it these days (in labs where they make plasma for experiments and whatnot) and worked out something sci-fiish about that.
They could've.

Offline Shaviv

• Mad Science Project of the Week, and musings
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2009, 03:17:02 PM »
Perhaps you should consider looking at your own safety features as there's a potential for overload developing. The cooling systems appear clogged and the plasma conduction arrays at maximum.

Tell it to the authors of the pieces as they are the ones confused with details. Correct?
Isn't it conceivable that a high-powered device like an energy-weapon might be designed so that if it suffers a critical overheat or some other similar damage, sacrificial parts blow out or melt or whatever in order to spare the user's health? I.e., if a tank's magazine is touched off, the roof of the turret is designed to come away very easily, directing most of the destructive force upward and away from the crew. And in some hull designs, the engine is up front, so even in case of a penetrating hit, there's a ton or three of cast iron to absorb the energy. It'll shatter the engine block, sure, but the idea is that the shot will be spent in doing so and not have enough energy to pierce the inner wall of the engine compartment.
Festering Socks and Unwashed Hair: A Guardsman's Memoir, by Gunner Ferik Jurgen, IG (ret.). Available at your local scriptorium - buy it today!

Looking for players' groups in central NJ. Drop me a line? :3

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »
You mean a fuse? Such technology would be wonderous!  ;)  You're mistaking the surprise between there being such a device and having someone being so proud to make a point of mentioning it. Refer back to the source wiki and read the explanation where they're conflating plasma rifles and guns with pulse weapons.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Shaviv

• Mad Science Project of the Week, and musings
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2009, 03:56:11 PM »
You mean a fuse? Such technology would be wonderous!  ;)  You're mistaking the surprise between there being such a device and having someone being so proud to make a point of mentioning it. Refer back to the source wiki and read the explanation where they're conflating plasma rifles and guns with pulse weapons.
Right... I mean, my understanding was that a pulse weapon is to a plasma weapon as a lasgun is to a lascannon - it develops less power with every shot, it's less destructive, but it allows more rapid fire. The wiki is just a bit incoherent about explaining it. (Not to mention that plasma weapons as described are rather high on the handwavium scale because the particles in the beam should repel each other...)

I haven't slept enough all week, but I don't get it.
Festering Socks and Unwashed Hair: A Guardsman's Memoir, by Gunner Ferik Jurgen, IG (ret.). Available at your local scriptorium - buy it today!

Looking for players' groups in central NJ. Drop me a line? :3