News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deamons and Deamonhosts  (Read 550 times)

Offline Cratus Potestas

• Lord of strength, Cratus.
Deamons and Deamonhosts
« on: January 23, 2008, 04:40:02 AM »
Evening guvs.

I'm writing a campaign for Inquisitor and just need some information for the main villian in this campaign. Now as you can see from the title, he/she/it is a deamon. My idea is that this deamon possesed a psyker and so making him a deamonhost as far as I know. But what I want to know is how much control does the deamon have and how long can it stay in the material realm before it must go back to the immaterium. Also if it can change the body to fit its own needs and look like it wants to. And also if the body would be in a sense immortal, not invulnerable, just immortal.

And well, anything else that can be of any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Cratus
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:57:18 AM by Cratus Potestas »
Worry not about the past, for it can not be undone. Nor about the future, for it is yet to come. But about the present, where things can still be done.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
Re: Deamons and Deamonhosts
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:31:49 AM »
The 'time limit' on daemonic presence in the matterium seems primarily linked to the idea of their "power" when they are fully physically manifesting.  that is, they're doing it through their own powers, rather than through the possession of a material link (read: daemonhost) to the, well, matterium.

King in Farseer implies that the length of possession can be related to the strength of a psyker, though Abnett and his 'daemonhosts' would tend to imply that any individual can have a daemon possessing them.  Of course, that's an obvious difference: a pysker can be possessed by a daemon, while a daemonhost is summoned and bound.

As to how much control a daemon has while in the material realm?  Well, they maintain their daemonic powers and can use this to shape the material realm, as well as their own body.  (Of course, the implications from Pawn of Chaos is that the outer body will eventually take on the form of the possessing daemon, but make of that what you will.)  And, yes, the lifespan of "suitable" hosts can have their lifespans expended.

IIRC.  It's been a while since I looked at this type of thing. 

In short, you might want to pick up Farseer and Eisenhorn just to get a feel, if you haven't done so already.

Kage