News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Your Relationship With The Local Games Workshop.  (Read 5105 times)

Offline SlaveOne

• He's no good to me dead
Re: Your Relationship With The Local Games Workshop.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 05:45:11 PM »
Not sure how old many of you poster are but if anyone goes back to the gaming days of the 80's then, then i can speak for us all when i say thank god you have a local GW store with tables.

Back when i had to walk in the snow uphill, both ways to my friends house to play a game. It was fun but as you can imagine very limiting as far as opponents and community. And purchasing models was not entirely easy as well. If the store did not have what you wanted and had to special order it.

Sure their was a community, a very small one. But nothing the likes of what it is now. So overall I'm thankfull there is a local GW store.

Ok back to the subject. The local GW's staff is really cool and make it fun to hang out and talk about the games. 2 of the staff members are ex military so we shoot the s*** and tell stories occasionally. After hours its fun as well as the manager is cool with you staying as long as a staff member is willing to stay. The only time it gets uncomfortable is when i haven't been in the store for a few weeks and a new hire hits me up with all the "Have you..." questions. Ususally one of the staff will yell out "He's a regular". But one time i decided to mess with the new guy and gave the manager the look not to say anything. So i began asking just random nonsensical questions like, "Does it matter what color my dice are" or "Do i have to use a measuring tape?" and being very dissappointed when he said yes. Anyways it was all in good fun and we all laughed when he started to catch on. Now, to get me back during games he picks up my dice and starts rolling them and removes all the 6's. A couple of years ago he would be wearing my knuckles as lipstick if he was to do that. But as my therapist said "It's just a game.'"
Dear Developers,

Please nerf rock, it is too powerful. Paper is just fine.

Thx,
Scissors

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 06:10:35 PM »
And the other way; I'm happy to help out running kids games or helping run mega battles and events when the place is choc full of kids. I'm usually last to leave on vets nights as I help to clear up and reset the store for the next morning.
I get no hard sales and no pressure to buy anything at all, ever. Plus, marines aren't top choice there by a long way!

No, it's eldar with three falcons/prisms! That is when daft kids aren't wasting table space for the whole night with 4 way 1500 point games that dispite there being no terrain never seem to get finished (with the exception of Lorizael's latest "thats will never win" eldar army that somehow hacks up everything it finds using only the units no-one else likes).

But yeah its a good store the staff there are mostly pretty good and don't get too overexcited about trying to sell the latest tat that is using up 66% of the space in white dwarf (the other 33% being lord of the ass ring).

The only bad factor to my GW is the temporary (soon possibly permanent) manager who's been there a few weeks. Complete pleb. None of the staff or the regulars like him. He told me I couldn't use a modelling knife in store the other day in case I cut myself... Gah.

Hes not that bad... um.. well I'm not down there that often. No comment. :P
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline johhny-turbo

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 11:13:10 PM »
Honestly I think a lot of anti-GW sentiment is really overblown. There's people that string out weird conspriacy theories that seem to tie anything done by GW into an evil corporate scheme meant to put down the common man. It's like they're trying to put as much compound evil as they can into GW.

That said the guys at the stores I go to are kinda in the middle. They still try to sell me stuff even after I've said I'm just there for paint or a single blister. Yes I play High Elves, yes I do have a General, no I don't need a new unit of spearmen, I just came for some Brazen Brass, for my Necrons...etc

Aside from that I find a lot of employees to be really helpful and I've had more then a few enjoyable conversations.
"The great thing about getting shot by a lasbolt is that they immediately cauterize the wounds they just caused"- Commissar Ciaphas Cain

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 11:21:33 PM »
Well, this is really good to hear. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that there are a lot of good Games Workshops out there that don't follow the stupid image we bring up. I was worried that I was only an exception to the amphetamine parrotty chains of stores out there.

What a relief.

Offline myles

• Lazerous Penguin
  • This is my game face
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 12:38:05 AM »
The only thing I don't like about my GW store is that the number of people there who want to play pick-up games of 40k is almost always pathetically low.

Other than that, concerning all the positive things everyone else said, ditto ditto ditto.
The first problem is the creation of meaningless e-personas. Such personas are undesirable because they lead users to prejudge a post and its content based on their impressions of the author. One is predisposed to criticize a perfectly legitimate comment or praise a stupid one simply because of preconceived notions about who wrote it. Anonymous posting avoids this situation by removing identity from the post, making any praise or criticism directed solely at the content.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 03:13:48 AM »
And the other way; I'm happy to help out running kids games or helping run mega battles and events when the place is choc full of kids. I'm usually last to leave on vets nights as I help to clear up and reset the store for the next morning.
I get no hard sales and no pressure to buy anything at all, ever. Plus, marines aren't top choice there by a long way!

No, it's eldar with three falcons/prisms! That is when daft kids aren't wasting table space for the whole night with 4 way 1500 point games that dispite there being no terrain never seem to get finished (with the exception of Lorizael's latest "thats will never win" eldar army that somehow hacks up everything it finds using only the units no-one else likes).

But yeah its a good store the staff there are mostly pretty good and don't get too overexcited about trying to sell the latest tat that is using up 66% of the space in white dwarf (the other 33% being lord of the ass ring).

The only bad factor to my GW is the temporary (soon possibly permanent) manager who's been there a few weeks. Complete pleb. None of the staff or the regulars like him. He told me I couldn't use a modelling knife in store the other day in case I cut myself... Gah.

Hes not that bad... um.. well I'm not down there that often. No comment. :P

Psssst! Al! I'm talking about the other local GW that I frequent. ;) Seriously, check out the Mall GW. Manager=ass hat.

Offline CheeEEEse

• roar?
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 04:52:52 AM »
The guys at my local GW store are cool, although it seems like it's someone new every time I go in.  They always ask if I need any help, to which the reply is always no, then say alrighty and get back to their game/discussion/painting/work (lol ya right).

Never EVER EVER had them even suggest an army if I didn't specifically ask for advice.  For example a couple of years ago I was thinking about starting up a WHFB army and we had quite a discussion on the fluff and mechanics of certain armies and what I liked/disliked.

I almost always spend more there than I orginally planned because they seem to be very good at making the customer feel relaxed, which naturally makes me more comfortable with the product.  I'm the type that if you start pushing something on me, you'll see me walking out of the store long before you me buying your crack.

If anything the redshirts at the local GW are too laxxed,  went there today and had to stand at the register for 10 minutes while the guy finished his conversation about Spiderman 3 with another customer.  Wasn't in a hurry, so no big deal, just illustrates what I'm tryin to say (I think).

Offline Mecha

• Warrior
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 02:50:26 PM »
well, one of our redshirts is a dick half of the time and OK the other half of the time,  but the other redshirt is really cool.  like, we do stuff outside of GW.  the manager is also really damn cool too.
Dark Eldar (1850) 2/0/1
last win: Grey Knights/Grey Knights/IG
Quote: "What do you mean you took my Grey Knights Terminator as a Slave?"

Offline Pink Floyd

• I love Pink Floyd!
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 04:22:42 PM »
My Games workshop is good, the staff don't force buys on you they just help you out if you ask. A while ago there was a really annoying scottish dude who was REALLY strict staff member but he left recently.

Also the manager is great, he approved of a vet handing cake  ;D to everyone in the store (including him) which is great as usually you can't eat or drink in the store.
"I've seen time running backwards,been to a parallel universe and I've given birth to twins, but I never in my entire life thought I'd taste an edible pot noodle"
-David Lister, Red dwarf, episode:angels and demons.

It's codices everyone! Codices.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 07:06:33 PM »
Psssst! Al! I'm talking about the other local GW that I frequent. ;) Seriously, check out the Mall GW. Manager=ass hat.

Oh, I never go up there... its the wrong side of town and they never have what I want to buy in stock because the store is about the size of a shoebox... for someone with small shoes. ;D
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline jimmmho

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 02:20:52 AM »
Gah, i just posted in the other thread.

Short Points:
I live in CHicago where there are 6 GW stores and the Battlebunker, which I havent visited. The store I go to is pretty great, the redshirts are helpful, nice, and quite a bit of fun, and there are usually people to play against. I've also visited two other ones in the area, and the staff seemed decent enough, since I only been to each one once.

Offline Purgatory

• Neophyte
  • Auxilium et Concilium
    • The Ailarian
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 10:31:20 AM »
Went to the "local" GW yesterday - as me and my mates were in Gothenburg anyway. We walked in and a Red Shirt comes up and asks if we need any help. I replied "no thanks, we're just browsing".

And that was it. No trying to push models on us, no smart-ass comments about the armies that we played and so on. I have yet to encounter a Red Shirt that has tried to sell me anything I didn't pick up myself, bar the odd "you're alright with glue and stuff?"-question now and then. I have also never seen a real Red Shirt rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean?.

/Purg

Offline cyborlox

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 09:57:31 PM »
I used to have a good relationship with the people. I got myself and my friend into the Battle Bunker for free (it was 5$ a person plus tax). we knew all thepeople by name and all that jazz. But then they all left for other stores...  :'( now the people are like super serious nazis of death. I am sad.

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2007, 10:19:05 PM »
Yea, I truly hate the serous people, it really ruins the mood of things. Sure, a serious game is always great, especially in the clutch periods of turn 5 and 6, but to carry everything on like that is just plain annoying.

Hell, the simple fact that the Red shirts sometime commentate on our games like a football game is just hilarious!

"And what's this? Deep striking Obliterators on the left flank, oh boy this won't due good for the Etherans today!"

"Right you said Brian, those bastards just took down the Armored support, [Insert my name here] is going to need to come up with something creative."

"He's charging them into CC? How the ****?"

3 turns later.

"Apparently fifty determined Guardsmen can kill off three Obliterators!"

Yea, fun guys they are. lolz

Offline grok_grok

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2007, 10:23:46 PM »
I used to like my GW, until they accused me and my friends of stealing and banned us from the store. Rather then make a big deal about it, We just told them to take a flying you know what, and took our business elsewhere.  I now support a smaller business and buy all my warhammer from them, at 10% off.  My friends are still a little sore about it and will always refer to GW as standing for Giantteen-pop sensations and cooperate thieves
GROK SMASH!

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2007, 10:31:25 PM »
In other words, they illogically base the entirety of Games Workshops everywhere on a bad experience with one out of the many?

Otherwise, I see that does suck for you. No offense, but I don't like people who simply assume all "OF THIS SUCKS" because "THIS PARTICULAR ONE" does.

In your defense though, they were probably a bunch of pricks to begin with, so who cares?

Offline Denair

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 10:46:06 PM »
I must say, I quite enjoy my GW here. Very friendly staff that always enjoy a good time. We have been having great grudge matches against them for the WD birthday bash events. Not to mention those grab bags were insanely good! Whenever I had a question they had answers and advice to share no matter if it was about units, storyline, or even painting advice.

Vets nights(games nights they have each day of the week for each of the game systems) are generally very popular with tons of people showing up for 40k night. All the tables are always full with either 1000pt games or 400pt combat patrols during Thursday nights. Then afterwards we all get together to go out to a restaurant nearby and hang out and talk.

At first, after reading all those Anti-GW things, I thought maybe my GW was the only good one out there. I am glad that this thread has popped up so that all can see that there are great ones out there. Even though some people have a problem with their local GW, give it a try and you may find that it might have just been them and its different for you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 10:59:50 PM by Denair »

Offline magusx316

• lets kill them all so god will know his own
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 01:55:07 PM »
I get along with my local GW staff, in fact I went to high school with one of them.  That being said they do not like my atitude towards yonger players, I simply refuse to play in any game with players under 12 end of story.  on a side note The milf eye candy somewhat makes up for little kids running around

Offline jkmoore

• Join or die.
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2007, 10:47:07 PM »
My store just underwent something of a major staff change. Things are interesting in that I absolutely dislike the employee of the month. He is shifty, generally unfriendly, and sometimes has a hint of hostility. I guess I don't really have a justified opinion because he does his job and works hard, but there's something dishonorable and selfish about him. That, and his army involves assault cannons.

I remember one time my friends were buying models as they frequently do, and the manager had reflected on whether we had bought anything recently. Yeah, that was pretty uncomfortable.

So, when all's said and done, I like my store, as at least half of the staff are good people.
It is better to live for the greater good than to die for the emperor.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 10:59:58 PM »
Well, I'm gonna head back to Games Workshop sometime this weekend, maybe have a game or two. I'll post up pictures if I can too.

It'll be a fun time!