News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k Versus Terminators  (Read 6994 times)

Offline Major Arah

• Major
  • Don't think that arrows are outdated
Re: 40k Versus Terminators
« Reply #40 on: February 6, 2006, 04:18:20 AM »
Just one more question, what exactly would happen if you blew the T 1000 up and then seperated all the little peices? eg. put them in jars
Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet. - Dave Barry

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #41 on: February 6, 2006, 04:28:09 AM »
It has not been attempted, but the one successful "cleft in twiain" that has been seen resulted in a violent reaction, as the pieces smashed their way back to eachother. This was in a comic, so it is not canon.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline mrspungebob

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #42 on: February 6, 2006, 04:57:31 AM »
Well, IIRC, in Terminator 2, when the T-1000 grabs the car with his newly-made metal hook, and the hook is ripped off, after a while it lets go and "flows" back to the terminator. So i think the terminator has some control over the metal even if it is separated by some distance, don't know how far though.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

"You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and i came through the parking lot. And you wont believe what happened! I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357! Can you imagine? Of all the license plates in the state, what was the chance that i would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!" - Quote from Richard Feynman (physicist)

Offline comradeDa

• Dracon
  • That's right. I have no nose.
    • EAC PRD
« Reply #43 on: February 6, 2006, 06:20:04 AM »
Or other silly situations. What if the stuff the T-K was made out of in an object of similar volume, but a really weird shape? Or one of much smaller volume (compression)?

What would happen if a nightbringer attacked the T-K? What happens to the T-K?
-=[Sybarite]=-
Sure, I'm a dracon. Shh... I like Sybarite, 'cos it sounds cooler.
My stories and stuff:
The Other Side
Operation Black Hand

My webcomic:
Evil Atheist Conspiracy Public Relations Department

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #44 on: February 6, 2006, 07:35:22 AM »
Considering the awesome power currently given to the C'tan by GW it would just flatten the thing in two seconds flat. If it had more of a blaanced feel ot it I would love to see what happened if a T-X "infected" the necrodermis. Talk about internal strife...

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #45 on: February 6, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »
Sounds like a situation that would have Khaine chortling in his respective avatars... But there we go.

Kage

Offline Great Wolf Tom

• Semi-Megalomaniac
« Reply #46 on: February 6, 2006, 10:48:56 AM »
Which frankly is odd. The Terminators are machines - what has Skynet to fear? They are literally incapable of rebelling. For that matter, why give Terminators an independent consciousness at all? Why not simply run them on remote? Understandably any of the assassins, sent outside Skynet's reach, would require its own AI, but why the others?

Well, you say that as though you've never seen I Robot.

Anyway, a Librarian could simply open a small warp hole, and there goes the Terminator.

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #47 on: February 6, 2006, 11:13:50 AM »
Anyway, a Librarian could simply open a small warp hole, and there goes the Terminator.
That would be considered cheating... But who cares!
Then the warp would have some stuff floating about
Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet. - Dave Barry

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #48 on: February 7, 2006, 02:13:55 AM »
Well, you say that as though you've never seen I Robot.

I, Robot is a short story. The movie was very inaccurate.

It's actually more in the Terminator mythos for machines to rebel... but I really don't see why. A robot cannot break its programming (heh heh), so how could it rebel? Or why not run them on remote, as I said earlier? Let Skynet itself control the Terminators. Skynet can learn, and won't betray itself.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #49 on: February 7, 2006, 02:28:16 AM »
Or why not run them on remote
   Simple; not techincally possible. This was expored in "Enemy Within" I believe, and resulted in the conclusion that all defence-measures are controlled directly by Skynet, while long-range measures (often underground) cannot be remote-controlled due to technical limitations. It is just a lot simpler to make them independent. Also, Skynet did not exist in the past, so any asset sent back in time would be stranded without an independent CPU.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #50 on: February 7, 2006, 05:31:31 AM »
Well, of course something would have to be done with time travel, but time travel is an exception. It's not something Skynet does often.

And I had the impression that both Skynet and Tech-Com were more advanced than modern Earth? I believe we see them with some kind of lasers in either T1 or T2. It's been a while since I watched them, but remote control doesn't seem beyond the reach of a computer as advanced as Skynet.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #51 on: February 7, 2006, 06:23:11 AM »
It might not be, but as I recall from the source I named above there is a trouble during tunnel-fighting, the size of receivers in the T-models, and the laps of control in certain enviornments. I mean, if it was as simple as going underground to avoid the Ts that is what humanity would do. Now, as the units are not controlled remotely, that does not matter anymore, and they are forced into surfacewars. This is to Skynet's advantage. Also, it is very humiliating when your killer-machines stop because of the depth they have reached, and can't connect to the main servers anymore... :)

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #52 on: February 7, 2006, 11:13:06 AM »
Now, as the units are not controlled remotely, that does not matter anymore, and they are forced into surfacewars. This is to Skynet's advantage.
How does that lure them into surface war? Did i miss something?
And why would tunnel wars benefit the humans?

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #53 on: February 7, 2006, 11:27:55 AM »
If the humans could evade the Ts by going underground tunnel-wars would greatly benefit the humans. It would be harder to fight, but as it does not matter to the humans at this point they are drawn up (rather than down, as the access to resources is better at the surface) and Skynet can engage them with flyers and tanks, rather than just diggers. It is a logistical concern for the humans, and a strategical one for Skynet. Sorry if I was unclear, as I thought you had read "Enemy Within". This is all outlined there, if I recall correctly.

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #54 on: February 7, 2006, 12:24:28 PM »
Is Enemy within a book or comic?

Offline Zatt

• "Furor Imperatoris!"
« Reply #55 on: February 7, 2006, 03:25:17 PM »
Interesting thought: would a T-X be able to override the machine spirit of power armour?

Power armor or not, I'd think that a 7 foot tall, genetically enhanced, super soldier, able to spit acid, fight in almost any hostile environment, crush a man's skull (or an Ork's for that matter) in his bare hands, sustain wounds that would kill anything else thrice over, etc… would kick the crap out of any Terminator. Speaking of which, put a Marine in Terminator armor and see what happens when the poor T-whatever gets splattered all over the wall. Douse it with a good supply of prometheum, hit it with a meltagun, splatter it with a power fist. They'll all die, just like a Necron (insert evil laughter here).
"C'mon you apes! You wanta live forever?"
- Unknown Platoon Sergeant, 1918

Offline mrspungebob

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #56 on: February 8, 2006, 03:24:21 AM »
One thing though. If the marine gets to be equiped with a meltagun/plasmagun, which are really badassed weapons, then its only fair that all the terminators get their best weaponry as well, and as far as i can remeber, they had access to some quite nifty weapons themselves. As shown in Terminator 1, they atleast have acccess to plasma weaponry, so assuming that their are the equal to the marines plasma, i'd recon any terminator wins that firefight, as they can still shoot as long as one of their arms are still connected to their head (CPU). If a marine takes a plasmahit in the chest, removing the anything below the top ribs, i'd guess he would be down for it, while the terminator would still have the ability to fire back, atleast for some time
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

"You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and i came through the parking lot. And you wont believe what happened! I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357! Can you imagine? Of all the license plates in the state, what was the chance that i would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!" - Quote from Richard Feynman (physicist)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #57 on: February 8, 2006, 03:51:48 AM »
Is Enemy within a book or comic?
  It started out as a comic (Dark Horse, I think, back in... 92 or something) but has since then developed into a novel I think. The background-material Dark Horse published after the comic is very extensive.

Offline comradeDa

• Dracon
  • That's right. I have no nose.
    • EAC PRD
« Reply #58 on: April 9, 2006, 07:23:20 AM »
so assuming that their are the equal to the marines plasma,

I recall some people doing this with Covenant plasma weapons in the Halo vs 40K thread. That resulted in marines getting slaughtered, until someone pointed out that Covenant plasma is vastly inferior to 40k plasma weapons.
-=[Sybarite]=-
Sure, I'm a dracon. Shh... I like Sybarite, 'cos it sounds cooler.
My stories and stuff:
The Other Side
Operation Black Hand

My webcomic:
Evil Atheist Conspiracy Public Relations Department

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #59 on: April 9, 2006, 09:57:11 AM »
Digging up old, since long dead, topics and posting on them, especially without adding some remarkable new input into the discussion, is really poor netiquette, and the thread has now been locked. We like to keep current topics on page one of the forum, so dragging up older material is not something desirable. Please don't do that in the future. Thank you.
Have a nice day.

*Click!*