News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Witch Hunters without Sisters competitive?? Now with 2000 pt list for review.  (Read 742 times)

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
Just wondering how effective/competitive an Inquisitorial Witch Hunter army can be in tournaments. I haven't seen ANY lists like this in my LGS... ...EVER.

If not, why aren't they competitive?

Here's the list I plan to run in a local tourney. I mostly just wrote it up with everything I have. The plan is to just run a ton of vehicles and keep everything in the vehicles as long as possible.

I plan on facing maybe one or two ork players, one or two eldar players, maybe a tyranid player, and a ton of space marine players. Also, there will be one necron player. Most of the marines use large squads of assault terminators.

On to the list:

2000 pts Inquisitorial Witch Hunters

HQ
Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

Elite
Callidus Assassin

Elite
Inquisitor w/ plasma pistol, combi-stake crossbow, hexagrammic wards, psi-tracker, Hammer of the Witches
2x Sages
3x Veteran Guardsmen with plasmaguns

transport
Land Raider

Troops
Adeptus Arbites x8
Priest w/carapace armor, and eviscerator
(I am hoping this unit will be able to deal with hordes and the assault terminators with sheer numbers of shots and attacks.)

transport
Chimera w/multi-laser, hull mounted heavy flamer

Troops
Storm Troopers x5
Grenade Launcher, Flamer (these just happen to be the extra special weapons I had on hand.)

transport
Chimera w/ turret heavy flamer, hull heavy bolter

Troops
Storm Troopers x5
Meltagun, Plasmagun

transport
Chimera w/ multilaser, heavy bolter

Troops
Space Marines x10
Flamer, Missile Launcher

transport
Rhino

Troops
Space Marines x5

(random objective claiming/holding unit.)

transport
Razorback w/twin-linked lascannon

Heavy Support
Dreadnought w/twin-linked lascannon, missile launcher

Heavy Support
Dreadnought w/twin-linked lascannon

Heavy Support
Lance Strike
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:14:23 PM by Lord Alliben »

Offline Daedalus_Mk_V

• God from a machine.
Re: Witch Hunters without Sisters competitive??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:54:45 PM »
If not, why aren't they competitive?
Simple. Most of the Inquisition units are at least two of the following:
-Overpriced
-Underpowered
-Overspecialized
-Very random and unpredictable
-Extremely fragile
Put it all together and you have a whole bunch of sub-par units that don't accomplish a whole lot on their own. Some of them can be of great benefit as allies to another army (Arcoflaggelants, Assassins and Inquisitors can help fill a lot of gaps in the IG roster, for example) or in support of actual Sisters units, but on their own they'll just get torn up while they ineffectually try to take out the enemy. I think the people who run that sort of list are awesome for sticking to the fluff like that, but it's nowhere near competitive.

Offline sonsoftaurus

• Sons of Taurus
Re: Witch Hunters without Sisters competitive??
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:58:41 PM »
Part of it is that it's really Codex: SoB with a few non-Sisters units added to the mix.

For non-Sisters units you have (IIRC):

Inquisitors
Priests, whose natural tag-along unit (Repentia) is a Sisters unit, and wouldn't be a great addition to STs...
Arcoflagellants
Assassins
Stormtroopers
Penitent Engines (and need to take a Priest to take those)

An army full of Stormtroopers on its own wouldn't be too bad, if they A) weren't worse than even the current IG codex STs, and will be reportedly completely outclassed by the upcoming ones and B ) they weren't completely outclassed by Sisters which you can get for a pittance more.

You can flesh out the above list with inducted units, but you'd probably end up playing more of a SM/IG force with allied WH than the other way around. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:00:22 PM by sonsoftaurus »

Offline sonsoftaurus

• Sons of Taurus
It looks like a cool list, certainly entertaining.  Land Raider plus multiple Chimeras/rhino/razorback certainly gives you a lot of mobility.  Karamazov plus two dreads should look pretty nifty. 

Elite
Callidus Assassin

Elite
Inquisitor w/ plasma pistol, combi-stake crossbow, hexagrammic wards, psi-tracker, Hammer of the Witches
2x Sages
3x Veteran Guardsmen with plasmaguns

transport
Land Raider

Troops
Space Marines x10
Flamer, Missile Launcher

transport
Rhino

Troops
Space Marines x5

transport
Razorback w/twin-linked lascannon

Heavy Support
Dreadnought w/twin-linked lascannon, missile launcher

Heavy Support
Dreadnought w/twin-linked lascannon

...but try taking this stuff and build it as a SM army with WH allies instead of the other way around, with more SM in place of the STs and Karamazov.  I suspect it would be more effective.

But certainly not cooler.  ;D 

Offline -Dark Fire-

• Previously Spear of Khaine
Inquisition units can't use and don't generate faith... they are over-priced/fragile/unpredictable/a burden/not faith using.Daedulus sums it up well. As to the list, always take doubles of special weapons if you have them, double plasma/melta are the best for STs, maybe one with double flamer. Try getting combi-weapons on the sarges. Kamarov is over-priced for what he is, just take a Lord w/ same layout as the normal }{. Drop all psy powers, and get a psy hood. Cheap FTW. I'll post a pure themed one later.
'There is no art more beautiful and diverse as the art of death.'

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
    • Alliben's Homepage
Inquisition units can't use and don't generate faith... they are over-priced/fragile/unpredictable/a burden/not faith using.Daedulus sums it up well. As to the list, always take doubles of special weapons if you have them, double plasma/melta are the best for STs, maybe one with double flamer. Try getting combi-weapons on the sarges. Kamarov is over-priced for what he is, just take a Lord w/ same layout as the normal }{. Drop all psy powers, and get a psy hood. Cheap FTW. I'll post a pure themed one later.

Yeah, all my multiple plasma gunners are in the retinue with the elite inquisitor. Also, I didn't bother giving him a psychic hood because of his low leadership.

What makes a regular inquisitor lord retinue better than Karamazov?? Would they be a more durable unit? Any suggestions are appreciated but mostly I made a list with the models I have.

I only have 1 inquisitor model and my retinue comes from IG models.

I have more storm troopers and space marines if that's useful.

I'm looking forward to seeing that list, thanks!

Offline -Dark Fire-

• Previously Spear of Khaine
Sorry if I sounded mean but I'm posting from a PSP atm (computer gone kaboom :() and I haven't got room to be nice :P. Oh, Lance Strike is not worth it, or arbites, just take double flamer plus combi for hordes. Kamarov has 3 attacks and can be shot quite easily. For 220 you could get Cheap plasma + psy hood Lord, 3 Vets w/ plasma, 2 Acoylytes w/ bolter and carapace/ Sages plus rhino. Basically for Kamarov you pay for multi-melta, and 3 attacks. He has an Identity crisis - not that good at cc or shooting.

Right, let's have a stab at a competitive list while keeping in theme (pure Inquisition FTW):

Inquisitor Lord/ w/Plasma Pistol, Psy Hood    @80

w/ Retinue: 3x Veteran w/Plasma, 3x Acoylyte w/Bolter,    @158 Carapace, Rhino, Smoke,

Elite/ 

Callidus Assassin                                        @XXX

Troops/

(2x) 10x Storm Trooper, 2xMelta, Rhino, Smoke  @346

(2x) 10x Storm Trooper, 2xPlasma, Rhino, Smoke      @346

10x Storm Trooper, 2xFlamer, Sarge w/Combi-Flamer, @183
                              Rhino, Smoke

Heavy Support/ 3x Exorcist                                  @405

This should give you a good strong core and then you've still got 340 odd points to get Death Cults, another (insert weapon type here) spam Inquisitor. I'd get another Storm Trooper Unit for 6 Troop Choices and then get a Land Raider for the Inquisitor (drop Rhino and Hood). Just an idea and I might be completely wrong as I don't use Inq. units normally.

'There is no art more beautiful and diverse as the art of death.'

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
    • Alliben's Homepage
Wow. If I had those models I would try it out because that seems really fun, actually. Nice list. Thanks for all the advice.