News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Them new dragons, eh?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Them new dragons, eh?
« on: July 27, 2021, 11:47:44 AM »
A pair of new dragons ("Dracolith" or whatever) have been published by GW. They appear to be Stormcast-aligned, I think? Not sure about the rules.

I'm mostly mentioning them due to the obvious difference in design from previous dragons. These are much buffer, and less serpentine than the classic warhammer dragons, and I've seen people argue that they're a bit more... "generic" fantasy. Their heads also give off slightly more mammalian vibes than the lizard-y heads of yore.

I guess the implication is that these are a different breed or type of dragons from the previous ones, or do you think this represents and overall change in design going forward? Do you think elves with dragons will be phased out altogether and they will from now on be a staple of Stormcast alone?

They're also clearly intelligent (the old ones were also said to be, but of course they never talked), so that might explain the more "emotive" facial redesign. Make them look like characters, rather than beasts, as it were.

I like them, admittedly, but I don't see them as mounts exactly.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Them new dragons, eh?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 11:20:55 PM »
If this was prior to the announcement of the Old World coming back, I would say that it was a redesign of the dragons.  With the old world, though, I think this is GW differentiating dragons in AoS from dragons in the Old World.

It might be the paint job they did for these models, but I am not a fan, tbh.  The heads are too rounded for my liking.  Give me the traditional snouts!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 11:41:38 PM »
They looks a lot bigger than the old dragons, more muscular, much shorter necks and a little shorter snouts. I suspect the change has more to do with their legal teams but they don't look bad, you know like what ever teclis is meant to be attached to.. totally turned me off my beloved elves.

The dragons shown are clearly meant to be the uber named versions, if the elves were to get to ride dragons, I would assume they would be significantly smaller versions. It would just look really strange to have something that physically big and have a tiny little elf on it lol. My guess is it would be smaller than a stardrake. That said, Elves might get "drakes" as they look more like the old dragons.

It would have been nice to see a bigger difference in poses though.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 08:42:01 AM »
A pair of new dragons ("Dracolith" or whatever) have been published by GW. They appear to be Stormcast-aligned, I think?

Quote from: Warhammer Community
The Princes’ affinity with Sigmar and the cause of the Stormcast Eternals makes their arrival a great boost for the forces of Order

Based on what the WarCom article says I would say they will be aligned to all the forces of Order.

Their heads also give off slightly more mammalian vibes than the lizard-y heads of yore.

From a modelling perspective they give off a Stardrake vibe for me. The head in particular really reminds me of a Stardrake model.

I guess the implication is that these are a different breed or type of dragons from the previous ones, or do you think this represents and overall change in design going forward?

Not much to gone on other than the small write up in WarCom, but the implication is that these are the original breed of dragon. They predate the coming of Sigmar and the rise of chaos. They are creatures of myth made real.

Do you think elves with dragons will be phased out altogether

No I don't, the Elves will still get the Stardrakes and whatever smaller dragons exist.

I like them, admittedly, but I don't see them as mounts exactly.

I don't think they are intended to be mounts. These are huge creatures and they are the equal of Sigmar in stature.
I like them as well.

Quote from: magenb
My guess is it would be smaller than a stardrake.

Quote from: WarCom
We may think we’ve seen dragons fighting in the Mortal Realms – Black Dragons, Zombie Dragons, Stardrakes, and their ilk. But in truth, these are pale reflections of the ancient dragons of legend

Quote from: WarCom
The dragons – or Draconith, as they’re known in these parts – are back, and as you can see, they’re huge.

I think these are intended to be a centrepiece model, so they will be much bigger than a Stardrake.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 01:11:06 PM »
I love the dragons!

The elderly dragon is my least favorite of the two, with the sigmarite decor and a beard under his chin. Not a fan of those, but overall, I like them both a lot!

This will be a large boon for my Stormcast Eternals!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 06:26:58 PM »

I don't think they are intended to be mounts. These are huge creatures and they are the equal of Sigmar in stature.
I like them as well.

Quote from: magenb
My guess is it would be smaller than a stardrake.

I think these are intended to be a centrepiece model, so they will be much bigger than a Stardrake.

I meant that is we see an Elf mounted on a "dragon" it would be smaller than a stardrake, not that the new dragons would be smaller than a stardrake :)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #7 on: August 5, 2021, 08:12:15 AM »
Yup. Kinda skeptical of dragons being an elf thing going forward, tbh.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: August 5, 2021, 06:01:39 PM »
Yup. Kinda skeptical of dragons being an elf thing going forward, tbh.

it might take a long time, but I suspect these are going to be a new unit type, something similar to 40k flyers, so every faction will get a new version. Each release will dominate the meta for a month, get nerfed, still be good for another month before the next release comes out with the next battletome.