News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Second Chances (Game Thread)  (Read 7630 times)

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
Re: Second Chances (Game Thread)
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 04:22:57 PM »
Jason would be happy to follow any of his companions, as they all seemed like capable men.  but for now, Sextus seemed the wisest about this land, so his vote would got to him.

"I agree" said Jason "this ain't the outback anymore, so we need someone who knows what what to guide us"
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #41 on: February 1, 2012, 10:30:39 AM »
Sextus pointed to the river, and waved his hand in a motion to show to follow him. He did not seemed to terribly concerned with recent events. In fact he walked up to Daud and touched his face, "we go to the river. I have what is called, a canoe. We should all fit easily enough. Also, if there are any settlements. They will be on it's shore." This was strange, not only was the man touching you. But you knew exactly what he was saying again.

With a face that looked full of adventure, he repeated the process to Jason. But with the added, "tell Joseph." Then he led the way to the distant tree line, only a few hundred yards away.

After a couple of minutes of walking you reach the trees. Sextus immediately goes over to some bushes and starts pulling them to the sides. Hidden among them you see a well crafted canoe, that appears to be sealed from water with birch bark. More than large enough for 6 people.

Offline skoops6

« Reply #42 on: February 1, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »
Turning to Joseph, Jason repeated what Sextus had said. he then followed Sextus in the direction of the trees
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #43 on: February 4, 2012, 04:21:30 AM »
So, Daud thought, we can still understand one another if we touch.  I'd imagine that it has to be skin-to-skin, but we shall see later.  For now, we have a boat and a river along which to travel.  Daud touched whichever English speaker was closest to him and spoke to Sextus in Latin.

"So, it looks like a simple craft.  Do we have paddles, or will we be on the current?  Also, do we have to worry about giant fish or any such things?"

Finally, they were going towards a town.  Perhaps Rachel would be there.  It was almost certain that she wouldn't be, but Daud was just happy that he may find a community there which could help him find her.

Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Aireoth

• Join us, we have Pi.
« Reply #44 on: February 5, 2012, 01:31:06 AM »
Joseph walked beside Daud and Sextus, through the trees to a river, as they walked he started to wonder if he would meet his mother and father here, or perhaps his uncle. Though he only new his parents through story and photos, he didn't really know what he would say to them, if anything. There was a large craft there, similar to native canoes, it looked like it could easily fit their party. Daud touched his hand and Sextus then spoke, Joseph could clearly understand it, as he had in the sphere. He was standing on the opposite side of Daud from Sextus.

"Also, ask Sextus how long this journey will be, do we have means of gathering food as we go? We must learn how to provision ourselves in this world."

W/L/D
52/24/8

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #45 on: February 5, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »
Daud translated Joseph's question to Sextus, continuing to speak in Latin.

Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline skoops6

« Reply #46 on: February 5, 2012, 04:50:21 PM »
touching Daud and Sextus, Jason said "as long as there's other animals around then giant bloody scorpions, I can trap us some food. I just need some idea what im trying to catch so I can set the traps right. Sextus, do you know 'bout any edible animals around here?"

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2012, 10:25:58 AM »
Sextus shook his head, "I'am unfamiliar with this part of the world. I woke up very far from here and decided this time around I would explore the world. I traveled many miles in all directions and met many people, some friendly some not. About a month ago I found a village of barbarians far up the river. I traded most of my goods in exchange for this canoe and quite possibly my life."

He pulled out three paddles, "sorry, I only convinced them to give me a few. But I do not know what creatures exist in these plains, I have only just discovered them for the first time. But as for a town, Im certain we will find one by simply travelling along this river."

Offline skoops6

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 10:23:05 PM »
still touching Daud and Sextus, Jason said "Alrighty then, shall we set off? Theres not much point waiting around here."

Offline Aireoth

• Join us, we have Pi.
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 11:30:30 PM »
Joseph got in the boat, grabbed an oar and took the bow.
W/L/D
52/24/8

Offline skoops6

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2012, 04:55:56 AM »
(OOC: what time is it? will we be stopping to make camp, or just continue on?)

"Would it be alright if i took the front Joey boy? seeing as there is only 3 paddles I may as well take watch with my rifle."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:55:17 AM by skoops6 »

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 07:47:34 AM »
The craft was a bit large for the three of them, but it would do nicely.  Especially if they needed space to store supplies.  Daud helped get the boat to the water and took his place in the craft with one of the paddles.  While he'd never been in this particular type of craft, he had been in enough to know his way around such a simple one.

Before they properly shipped off, Daud put his hand in the water, testing it for temperature.  He then brought a little bit to his lips, to see if it was fresh water (which it likely should be).  If it didn't make him sick after a few hours, then he'd know that it was probably safe to drink.

Azore of Ath-Ron
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline skoops6

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 02:10:09 AM »
(OOC: update?)

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 11:47:49 PM »
With them all loaded in the boat, Sextus shoved off. A loud splash sounding when the boat entered the water, but it floated quite well. With a small bound the nimble Roman came in the boat after them. Pulling a gladius from a blanket in the rear of the small vessel he quickly bound it to his waist.

Once they were comfortably all settled, they saw Daud try the water. Who upon it touching his lips, suddenly smiled. For the water was sweeter than any that could ever be found on Earth. Perhap's this was paradise after all?

They started to row, Sextus seemingly pleased to be on the move. His eyes excitedly looking over every new feature that passed by. He seemed especially pleased with a reptilian bird that flew over head. One that Joseph certainly recognised from studies, a Pterodactylus.. It was small, a wing span of roughly 20 inches, and it had a grayish blue color in it's scales. It swooped down and plucked a red fish from the river near the boat, and flew away as if humans were completely uninteresting.

Offline skoops6

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 04:11:07 PM »
Jason gazed with wonder at the lizard bird, watching it as it dived down and plucked a fish out of the water. "so there is fish in the river, good" said Jason, bending over the side of the canoe to look the river. seeing as he did not have a paddle, he drew out his rifle and took up overwatch for the boat.

(OOC: what time is it? will we make camp some time?")

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »
Daud was confused by the water.  It was sweet, like a honeyed or sugared brew.  He rubbed the water between his fingers to see if it was sticky, or if the water just naturally tasted like that.  A verse flowed through his mind, 'a land flowing with milk and honey.'  True, that land was Canaan, and not HaOlam HaBa, but perhaps this was the true promised land.  Perhaps he really was in heaven, Addonai's paradise built for man.  But, then, what were the pagans and gentiles doing there?

The whole mess was confusing, and having some time to drift lazily on a river was making it worse!  He could take his time identifying every problem he had with the world he found himself in.  All the bits that nagged at him  were coming to the surface and competing with the bits that made him question: even if this is Sheol or Gehenna, would he really want to leave?  Of course, this could be the perfect pit of damnation for him: An endless world with endless time to find his beloved Rachel, but it was also infinitely difficult to locate her in such a place.  He was gripped by this fear for a moment, the pain from losing her welled itself back up in his heart, as his chest felt tight with sorrow.

As Daud sat in his silent, morose reverie, absentmindedly rubbing his fingers together, long since dried of the river water he was testing, a strange bird dove at the water.  Surely it was a bird, though from the brief flash he could see it seemed to also have scales.  Perhaps it was some creature he had never seen.  The world was a large place, and the after-world even larger.  Daud sighed as he watched the creature fly off with its food.  Perhaps it was flying off to feed its mate which watched its eggs...

Another, more horrifying thought popped into Daud's mind while Jason said...something in his tongue.  When they had time, Daud would have to pick up some of that language; it would make their travels easier.  He returned to his original revelation, not nearly as distracted from it as he wanted to be.  Many babies died in their first few days, and a small fraction of children made it into adulthood.  Did that mean that somewhere in this world, there were infants being slaughtered frequently by a whim of whatever made this place?  It...it could not be.  Surely there wouldn't...  The thought of this happening to children - even Daud's, for he and Rachel had lost a child only two days old, brought him to tears.

The old man made young again, sitting in the canoe of a Roman Centurion with a detective and a bounty hunter in the middle of the afterlife where time had no meaning and yet carried a heavy weight, wept silently into his beard as he finally stopped rubbing his fingers together.

Azore of Ath-Ron
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline skoops6

« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2012, 05:39:58 AM »
OOC: c'mon aireoth, whats the hold up?