News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1k High Elves vs. Dwarves  (Read 2790 times)

Offline FarseerFaris

• Eradicate them all....
1k High Elves vs. Dwarves
« on: February 28, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »
Played Nikos Saturday:

High Elves:
Korhil (with PG)
19 pheonix gaurd, Full command, warbanner, SkeinSliver
14 spearmen
6 Swordmasters
6 Swordmasters
Repeater Bolthrower
Repeater Bolthrower

Dwarfies:
Thane (with LB)
20 Longbeards
20 Warriors
14ish Ironbreakers?
Bolthrower
Bolthrower
That fricken cannon that auto hits and can reroll the artillery die.

I set up my bolthrowers on a hill, with spearmen gaurding the base of the hill and then as far forward as possible I place Korhil/PG, with 6 swordmasters on either side of them.  Nikos's army ends up with 1 Bolthrower off to my far left(his far right) and the other bolthrower/cannon in woods across the board from me gaurded from the front by dwarf warriors with Longbeards/than to the left of them(nikos's right) and around the hill were the ironbreakers protecting the warmachines from that side.

Nikos wins the roll off despite my Skeinsliver!!!  Drat.

T1. Dwarfies:
Nothing moves, both bolthrowers miss, the cannon however rolls the artillery dice 3 times getting 2 shots a roll interestingly enough and gunning down 4 spear elves - I roll a 9 for leadership fall back throw a bolthrower, which also fails leadership and sigh...  Then cuz we're noobs I remember I get to use my general's leadership cuz he was within 12" of my spearmen and since Korhil is at 9 none of that happens and I stay put yay!

T1. High Elves
Phenixgaurd/Korhil and both swordmaster units march forward 10", my spearmen are coming out of softcover so only get to go 5" forward as it halves their movement - Bolthrowers volley at the cannon wounding it once and wiping out the crew causing panic checks which the dwarves pass.

T2. Dwarfies
Again they hold ground and let loose, oh wait the bolthrower crew next to the organ gun hops over to man it which we agreed was legal but didn't really know cuz we are noobs.  Anyways they blast a unit of 6 swordmasters to crap this round, the ones to my PG's right specifically.  Bolthrower on the far left misses again.

T2. High elves
Pheonix Gaurd/Swordmasters maneuver in front of the dwarves battleline I made a terrible move with my swordmasters I realized later in my turn as now their 1X6 rank was exposed to The remaining bolthrower.  Spear elves march full forwards to play catchup.  My bolthrowers volley to kill off the organ gun crew as well as the machine this round yay!  Almost got their shooting knocked out.

T3. Dwarfies
Dwarves hold, Bolthrower lines up a shot on my Swordmasters but luckily fails to hit!!!  Yesss!  We check and he woulda gotten 4/6 in a line so I'm pretty happy.  This turn we were talking about movement trays and someone offers some to us of which Nikos accepts for some reason, it's not like he's moving anything but anyways he picks up his models and loads them onto the trays.

T4. High Elves
Mysteriously Nikos's Dwarves are just outta charge range...  And a hill he moved outta the way to get his units onto trays has crept up to protect his army...  I call him on this and he's all 'lets just play it the way it is' yeah I'm sure so we kinda get into it but he realizes how dumb he's being and I charge his LB's thane with PG/Korhil, and my Spears/SM's get his warriors.
Bolthrowers shoot his BT but fail to kill it.

In PG assault the thane challenges and the keeper of flame accepts and gets cut down 3 times... ouch, Korhil kills a dwarf and I think thats it, but with banners/ranks it comes out me losing by one but I pass Morale.

In SM's/Spears vs. warriors I lose nothing while killing 6, he fails morale, and is cut down in pursuit and then we get into a big arguement about my SM's pursuing into his Longbeards because only 2 of them would actually be in B2b, really silly things like 'if my last SM in the unit can't reach I can't charge'...  Anyways big rule conflict, we rolloff I win so I get it even through Nikos starts to argue I just give him a stern look and move my models.

Dwarfs:
Ironbreakers head towards our melee.  BT shoots at my BT but misses kinda like it has all game.  In Assault thane challenges Korhil and they both do one wound against each other(he luckily missed 2X), and then my SM's cut down a buncha longbeards and the PG get another 1 or 2 and he falls back due to the PG's 'Fear-causing' and outnumbering him.  Nikos Concedes the game at this point.

I only took 2 pics this game cuz I forgot, I'll probly post them later.  Fantasy seems pretty complicated to play compared to 40k - I like it but we really need to get the rules down.
And though all I see is darkness...
I shall not flinch from my destiny..!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1k High Elves vs. Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: March 4, 2010, 02:22:25 PM »
One rule snafu I noted: if moving through difficult terrain (light cover), not only is your movement halved, but you *can't march*, so your spearelves would have been moving 2.5" a turn, not 5".

Thanks for the write-up, though, and congrats on your win!

Offline FarseerFaris

• Eradicate them all....
« Reply #2 on: March 4, 2010, 03:27:43 PM »
Whoops - I guess I'll catch these mistakes as we play more games..!

Looks like woods REALLY slows armies down.
And though all I see is darkness...
I shall not flinch from my destiny..!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2010, 02:19:26 AM »
Whoops - I guess I'll catch these mistakes as we play more games..!

Looks like woods REALLY slows armies down.
Some armies.
Some armies it kills outright, no slowing down involved, like the chariot-core Tomb Kings.
Some armies don't care at all, of course, most notably the wood elves.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2010, 05:52:56 AM »
Your opponent was cheating with his Organ Gun (the cannon that auto-hits). First of all, if he got first turn it shouldn't have been in range of anything, as it only has a 24" range. Secondly, it absolutely does not roll three times, it rolls ONCE and if that roll is not a Misfire then it may RE-ROLL the artillery dice to try and get a better score.

EDIT: And while crew from one war machine may man another, they may not fire it in the turn they join the war machine either
« Last Edit: March 5, 2010, 05:54:19 AM by Chuck135 »
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*