News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Calling Fantasy Players for Community project!  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Calling Fantasy Players for Community project!
« on: November 22, 2009, 06:47:17 AM »
So I found this old listing of scenarios in a book, and I had a thought.

We should do a Community Campaign, play it out, collect all the reports and make an epic saga out of it.
I have six scenarios as well as a siege lined up, but I need players first.
I figure that in order to actively participate you need to be able to play a scenario every two weeks or so, or this will take forever, and post reports that include pictures.
You need to have a playable army of 750 points or more (no upper limit) and it would be nice if they were painted, but that is not a requirement.

So, roll-call. Anyone interested?

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Jester (Hadn't Changed His Profile Recently)

• I put the ass in assault.
  • Armies: The legions of pantslessness.
Re: Calling Fantasy Players for Community project!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 12:49:35 PM »
I am definitely up for it. I'd be playing Dark Elves, if that information is important.
The Tavern is dead. Long live The Tavern.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »
Brilliant!
At this point there is difference between armies - all are welcome.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 03:41:01 PM »
I'll do it, using Warriors of Chaos.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 04:08:30 PM »
So that's two for two. We will keep signup open a week or something, then I will start posting more information about the start.

Oh yes - if you lack a camera for the reports; get one. One will be needed.

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 01:08:47 AM »
I'll jump in. Several armies available to me, so I can play good guys or bad if that matters.
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 02:38:01 AM »
That's good. Signups will be another week and then we can get started.

So I will mail out the first scenario on friday, leaving you two weeks to get it done, and have it reported in. Does that seem fair to everyone?
It will give those interested in parttaking in hte first bout a few more days to sign up as well (you are welcome later, you just miss out on the first bout).

Edit: Ok, will write up the scenario tonight, I hope. Check this thread. :)
« Last Edit: December 3, 2009, 06:36:05 AM by Rasmus »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #7 on: December 3, 2009, 01:00:11 PM »
Right, here is your first scenario.

Tha land you so fondly cherishes has been engulfed in bloody war of succession. THe usurper, now trying for a last desperate bid for the crown, has hired mercenaries to invade and disrupt the royal rule. Your lord has dispatched you to deal with this threat, and as a loyal underling you are sworn to obey.

The first scenario is a fortified defense (not the last), and you have two weeks starting today to complete this battle and post a battlereport in this thread, including pictures (at least one per player turn). THis will then be collected and a new scenario posted.

If you have any questiosn feel free to ask.

Offline Amphetamine Parrot

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 08:06:45 PM »
is it too late to sign up? I could either play Tomb Kings or Chaos Dwarfs depending on what you are looking for. Let me know.
I DEMAND NEW DARK ELDAR!!!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 04:23:56 AM »
No, should be fine. Your can play the first scenario (second should be up at the end of this week, so if you have not played the first by then you can play both back to back and post results). Pick whichever army you want, but that's the one you are playing for the entire campaign.

Offline Calus Drakin

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 01:52:11 AM »
The undead defense of the beachhead.

For fending off the enemy, I chose 3 bolt throwers, crewed by 6 skeletons.

The invading army turned out to be Skaven....

Chieftan - World's Edge Armour, Tail Weapon, Poisoned Attacks, Shield

20 Clanrats w/ spears, shields and full command

20 Clanrats w/ spears, shields and full command

20 Stormvermin w/ full command

My initial deployment ( note the rock wall marks the 24 inch mark where the water ends. )

And so the Skaven arrive...

....and immediately, the stormvermin's ship springs a leak and dumps the unit into the water. The units of clanrats both manage to paddle closer to shore though.

Considering the poor skill of the dead at using missile weapons, it wasn't surprising that all three bolt throwers missed their marks.

(End of turn 1)

The second turn began with the clanrats continuing their approach to the beach, as well as the black-furred stormvermin swimming along. Three of the heavily armored rats drowned on the way though.

Distance was still a hindrance to the bolt throwers and all three again missed.

(End of turn 2)

The clanrats continued their approach, ending the turn within inches of the safety of the sand, while the stormvermin continued swimming, 2 regular members drowning, as well as the champion, who was unsuccessfully used as a floatation device by the standard bearer.

One bolt thrower finally slid an oversized arrow through the skaven general's unit, but managed to sail straight through without wounding any of the creatures.

(Sorry, not all pictures came out as usable. What I get for thinking my cell phone would be good enough.)

The fourth turn began with both clanrat units pulling up onto the shore. One regular member of the stormvermin drowned, as well as the musician, who was pushed under the waves by the paniking standard bearer.

The bolt throwers continued their poor showing, missing each shot fired.

(End of turn 4)

The clanrat units formed up on the beach and began sprinting toward the defenses. In the water though, one regular stormvermin drowned, as did the standard bearer who found himself with no other rats to try to stand on.

The bolt throwers redeemed themselves in this turn though, as two of the machines killed a total of 6 clanrats from the unit without the skaven chieftan, paniking the unit and sending them fleeing back toward the water.

In the 6th turn, the fleeing clanrats failed to rally and returned to the water's edge. The general's unit charged into the bolt thrower on the far left, slaughter them and overran off the table.

The bolt throwers fired their shots into the fleeing clanrats and took down two of the rat-men as they ran.

(End of turn 6)

The fleeing rats again failed to rally and charged headlong back into the water in their panic. The stormvermin finally crawled up onto land, losing two more of their number to the waves. The Cheiftan's unit returned and prepared to launch their attack into the next war machine

The bolt throwers took aim at the stormvermin as they attempted to shake off some of the water, spearing two of them and sending the rest howling back into the water.

(End of turn 7)

The stormvermin caught themselves, having already lost a fair number of their unit to the water, even as another one disappeared under the waves. The clanrats however had not experienced it yet and continued to swim out to sea, losing their musician and one more rat in the process. The chieftan's unit paused as he saw the beach and saw the rest of his group swimming back out into the water, forgetting for the moment his task to destroy the undead defenses.

The bolt throwers turned on the Chieftan's unit as he paused, sending one bolt in from the front and one from the side, spearing a total of 7 clanrats. The unit paniked, fleeing from the giant arrows and off the table.

Turn 9 began with the clanrats swimming in the wrong direction and still refusing to rally, losing one more to the water as they headed further out to sea. Meanwhile, three stormvermin tired and slipped under the waves, mere feet from the beach, a lone black-furred skaven pulling himself onto the sand.

The remaining bolt throwers took aim at the lone creature, but both fell short of the mark, their bolts standing out of the sand.

(End of turn 9)

The clanrats continued to flee out to sea, hoping to see the rest of their invasion fleet on the horizon, but none of them were pulled under the water. The lone stormvermin brandished his halbard and sped toward the closest war machine, seeing a chance to earn glory and raise his status. Both bolt throwers fired upon the creature, but missed again.

(We pretty much  thought the game was over at this point, so I've got no more pictures from here on.  :-\ Guess that'll teach me.)

The clanrats finally realised their peril and rallied as another two skaven tired and drowned. The lone stormvermin charged the closest bolt thrower, smashing aside a single skeleton, but only tieing the combat due to the war machine being on a hill. The unembattled war machine fired on the newly rallied clanrats, but shot wide. The combat then continued as the stormvermin's halbard was deflected by a decrepit shield and then was impaled on the rusted point of a rotting spear.

The clanrats began the swim back to shore, one more of their group vanishing beneath the water and another one getting speared by a bolt as it gasped for air.

The standard bearer was the next to drown as they tried to find their way back. Bolts from the war machine splashing into the water around them.

Then the last three clanrats found their feet on sand again, and watched their champion struggle to catch up as bolts once again sailed through the air.

Reformed again, they marched towards the undead war machines, dodging the shots that came at them.

Finally, one rat slipped and was pinned to the sand, the rest turned and fled in panic once again, scattering in different directions.

Whew, was a fun game, didn't expect it to last 16 turns or that I would actually win though with my meager few models against three fully ranked units.
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 06:11:26 AM »
Well done! I will  try to get the next scenario up so that it can run for the next two weeks tonight, and hopefully some of the others might post their reports along with yours. Congratulations on a battle well fought!

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 02:42:53 PM »
Is it ok if mine is up late (late UK at least) Saturday evening? It's the only chance I've got to catch a Fantasy player.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 03:42:32 PM »
Sure - from now on anyone can join, but only those that post battlereports for the previous scenario "on time" gets to use the "Favoured Few"-rule in the next scenario. This will repeat for each two weeks; so if you complete scenario II in two weeks, you get "Favoured Few" for the next one. For Scenario II only Calus Drakin gets to use the "Favoured Few"-rule.

And here is your next scenario. This one lasts for two weeks, until new years basically. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:16:47 PM by Rasmus »

Offline Calus Drakin

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 12:15:37 AM »
For the purposes of these scenarios are we ignoring the regular requirements for building our armies ? For instance in the new scenario I'm playing VC's, so the only units I can bring as the defender as far as core choices don't count towards my minimum required units.

As well, spellcasters aren't allowed, and my book says a vampire ( which is also a spellcaster ) must be the general.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:26:25 AM by Calus Drakin »

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 03:21:23 AM »
Good point - I am glad you asked for clarifications.
Yes, bring the ones required by the scenario, ignore the army-limitations. Assume that your 750 points are part of a 2k army (and the remaining 1250 are marching off on the other side of the woods) and work it.
Pick a non-caster and make him a general (assume the vampire is in the woods somewhere), and in the case where this is impossible (some armies have all-caster characters, like Tomb Kings) then pick a caster, but don't cast. the "No spellcasters" is more about "no spells being cast because it tends to upset small-point games wildly" than a strict restriction against caster-able characters.

Offline Calus Drakin

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 02:49:38 AM »
The Rearguard

Wight King
- Sword of Kings, Flayed Hauberk

5 Black Knights, Full Command, Barding

5 Black Knights, Barding

5 units of 5 Dire wolves + Doom Wolf

The Invaders ( Skaven )

Chieftan
- Great Weapon

20 Clanrats: spears, shields, full command
- Ratling Gun

20 Clanrats: spears, shields, full command
- Ratling Gun

20 Stormvermin: Full Command, Banner of the Under-Empire
- Ratling Gun

20 Skavenslaves

20 Clanrats: shields, full command
- Poison Wind Mortar

5 Gutter Runners: slings, champion
- Warp Grinder

The game began with the wolves and knights speeding forward, eager to get to grips with the invading army. The hopes of a quick victory were dashed, however as the man-sized rats opened fire with twisted machinery, one maching unleashing a hail of green bullets that shredded the unit of dire wolves in the center, while the pack of wolves screening the black knights on the left flank lost one.

Still the remaining wolves leapt forward, driven on by their master to delay the enemy's approach. Just behind them though, the ground rumbled and a large area of earth caved in, three skaven clawing their way out of the ground.

What had meant to be an ambush had turned into a catastrophy as their tunnel had collapsed on top of them, killing 2 of the rats and their tunneling team. Further through the wooded area, the battle was joined though, as the unit of slaves was pushed up into the closest unit of wolves on one flank, and a unit of clanrats charged in on the other. Then the wicked devices opened fire again, one targeted the unit of Black Knights on the left flank, but their armour protected them. The other two machines took aim at the next unit of wolves in the center, one jamming and exploding, shredding it's operators, the other however made up for it, taking down the entire group of wolves. The surviving Gutter Runners shook the dirt out of their fur and unleashed rocks from their slingshots at the lone Wight King, but the rocks just bounced off his armour. As tooth met claw further down field, the slaves failed to cause any harm to the wolves they faced, but saw four of their number dragged down and eviscerated. The loss of four slaves was not enough to count the fight as lost, so they remained where they were. The clanrats fared much better, taking down two wolves on their spears while only losing a single rat themselves. The remaining hounds fell to dust, the magic that sustained them weakening.

(End of turn 2 )

The Black Knights saw their opening and sped into the clanrats that had just defeated the wolves, as a second unit of wolves charged into the flank of the slaves, determined to drag them down and tear them apart. The Wight King drew his blade and lurched towards the Gutter Runners, who quickly turned and fled. The Knights managed to impale three of the skaven on their lances, and their armour deflected all attacks, but it wasn't enough and their magic also weakened, one dead knight slipping from his saddle into a pile of bones. The two units of wolves managed to slay three of the slaves between them, who took down 2 wolves from the unit in their front. The unit then exploded as the slaves panicked and ran in every direction, crazed with fear and tearing at everything in reach, managing to damage three wolves enough to return them to the earth.

The Gutter Runners continued their retreat, darting past one unit of clanrats and continuing to head back to tell the main force of the advance party's deaths. The other units scoffed at the cowards from Clan Eshin and moved up, readying their weapons. One ratling gun found a target and another full unit of wolves was filled with new holes. The clanrats facing the Black Knights found a chink in one of the knight's armour and dragged him down, seperating his bones. The rest of the rats managed to dodge the attacks of the other undead knights, losing none of their number and the dead knights and their steeds crumbled before them.

The Wight King turned and moved into combat with the victorious clanrat unit, swinging his sword as he plunged into battle. The knights on the other side of the field also charged in to the closest clanrat unit. The Wight King's sword slipped through the flank of the skaven unit, decapitating three of the rats in a single, long stroke ( seriously, 3 6's to hit, followed by 3 6's to wound. Who needs re-rolls ?) but the strength of their numbers sapped some of the magic holding him together and he lost a single wound. The Knights across the field fared similarly as well, with no less then six of the mutated vermin laying in pools of blood, but the rest of their unit gathered what courage they had and held their ground.

The remaining skaven machines fired, the poison mortar missing the mark for the 4th time since it's set-up, while the last ratling gun fired on the one remaining wolf pack, killing only a single wolf, leaving the doom wolf snarling and ready to pounce. The knights continued their slaughter of the clanrats, slaying another three and this time convincing the rest of the unit that there were better places to be. Across the field, the Wight King slew another rat and took no wounds in return, but again his magic lost it's grip on him and he slid apart, back to the earth.

(End of Game)

Final Tally: difference of 645 in favor of the Skaven
Result: Massacre.

Was faced with a pretty hard choice for this game, that made it basically either win or lose and that was whether or not to take Blood Knights.  :P I knew it was going to be really hard with just the Black Knights and wolves, and my original list had my Vargulf and Bats in it, but I forgot to take those with me to the game. In the end I went with what I knew would be more fun. Also just made do with the terrain we had, picked up a bag of plastic aquarium plants to add more greenery to the field, but didn't even come close to the 40% the scenario asked for.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 03:42:59 AM »
Facing an opponent with that much firepower in a field with that little terrain (you got to about half the terrain the scenario asked for) will inevitably be tricky. You did the best you could, but your master will be displeased when he gets the report.
Luckily, you will get another chance, after newyears.

Offline Spirit of Kurnous

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 06:14:57 AM »
I certainly wouldnt want to play WHFB with any more terrain than I can see in the pics as you wouldnt be able to move your units around.  and thats if I was using my chaos warriors.  obviously if using my woodies then the more terrain the better :D
40k:
Eldar=12000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 2000pts

Fantasy:
Slaanesh=5000pts      
Wood Elves=6000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 3000pts
High Elves 3000pts

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 08:05:15 AM »
That is what makes this not-your-ordinary games; they are part of a campaign, and special rules apply. It is what makes it something other than a pickup-game at your LGS or a tournament-game - that is what the participants sign on for, because they want something other.
Of course, if this is not your cup of tea, then you did the right thing by not signing up.