News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Moderators and titles, ranks and other questions.  (Read 4951 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Moderators and titles, ranks and other questions.
« on: July 16, 2008, 05:34:08 AM »
So since these topics come up fairly often I thought I would address them, and also update an older stickied thread that has long since grown obsolete.

1. What are the different ranks of 40konline?
2. How do I get a new rank?
3. How do I get a custom title?
4. I have s custom title and I don't want it – how do I get rid of it?
5. How come I cannot post a Poll?
6. How come I cannot use Private Messages?
7. How do I become a moderator?
8. How do warnings, titles and bannings work?
9. How come I can not add an avatar or a signature?

1. What are the different ranks of 40konline?

40konline has a set of ranks, all depending on either postcount, contribution or status. They are all explained here.

2. How do I get a new rank?

Ranks are gained in different ways depending on what rank we are talking about. Some are gained automatically through just posting, while others are gained through contributing to the projects, becoming a member of the site staff, or similar. You can never ask to receive a new rank, you get one by adding in a constructive way to the Community, and garnering the attention of other members through this contribution. If you want to have access to the projects there is a stickied thread in each army subforum concerned with this effort, and you can read more about adding to them there.

3. How do I get a custom title?

Again, the key is in not asking. Noone gets a title by asking for it. However, those who stand out for excellent contributions to the site tend to, after a time. Some of the staff find it wildly amusing to place titles on people who have been misbehaving, or posting utter crap on the boards.
Of course, if you misbehave in any way, and disregard the warnings and notices you get, you will get a title warning other members to steer clear of you, as a spammer, flamer, scam-trader or suchlike. These titles are rewarded only after repeat offences, and are not to be taken lightly. They are warningsigns to other posters to disregard what you write, as it is most likely flame-bait, a scam, or trolling for spam or flames.

4. I have s custom title and I don't want it – how do I get rid of it?

If you were given a title for something constructive, like winning a contest, you can just PM me if you want it gone and I will remove it. This has never happened, but it might, so I thought I'd best mention it.
If you have been given a title for being a flamer, spammer or such, the only way is to better yourself, follow the rules and not cause any further problems. After a time (actually, a certain number of posts, not time in hours or days) of uninterrupted good posts, the title will be removed.
Some members who have gotten negative titles have simply logged off to come back 6 months later and ask that the title is dropped. This does not happen. You are only as good as your last couple of posts.
Mathmatically, if you receive a title, and immediately cease spamming or whatever you did wrong, the title would be dropped after about 300-500 “good” posts. This is not set in stone, and up to the discretion of staff members, in each individual case.

5. How come I cannot post a Poll?

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=139912.0

6. How come I cannot use Private Messages?

Members with less than three posts can't send PMs, which is to prevent adbots.
Once you have 3 posts, you automatically move from the usergroup "Newest" to "Newbie" and can use the PM system as normal. Happy posting 
Posts in the Trading forum, Tavern and roleplaying boards do not count toward your total post-count.
Of course, if you spam to attain this rank we will simply bar you from future use of the forum altogether.

7. How do I become a moderator?

Short answer; You don't.
Long answer; Moderators are picked when activity in a specific board becomes more than the current moderators can handle, a moderator leaves or decides to move to another part of the forum. Suggestions are then made by the current staff as to likely replacements, and a question is sent to that member. You cannot “petition” to become a moderator, and even though I receive PMs about it all the time I want you to know that these are just ignored. It is something that is asked of certain members who express maturity, the ability to help others, and a desire to stay on these boards.
It is not a position of glory and power, as some seem to think. Being a moderator, for the most part, includes nothing more fancy than cleaning the boards of spam, editing or deleting copyright-infringements, and mediating certain disputes, locking threads and such. It takes a lot of time each day if you moderate an active board, or more than one, and the rewards are usually in the form of members posting angry PMs to you for enforcing the rules they failed to follow.

8. How do warnings, titles and bannings work?

When you break the rules of this forum we make a note of it. This note is essentially a point on your record. When you make another breach you get another point. When you break the rules you are normally notified about this either over Private Message or in the thread where you broke the rule. At a certain number of points you receive an official warning over PM. If you have gotten this then you are in deep serious trouble, and unless you immediately mend your ways some more dire consequences will be descending upon you.
If you do not heed the warning, you are normally given a title to warn others away from you. If you persist in your behaviour you will finally be locked out of the forum, banned, permanently.
Some people never get a single warning before their banning. These are normally either adbots (people who make a profile simply to post an ad on the forum) or those who sign in to go on sprees of spamming and flaming. Those get locked out immediately.
The points against you persist for a very very long time, and so do titles that have been awarded to you for being a flamer or spammer. This means that while you may get near a banning in a single day worth of wrongful posts, it may take months of constructive posts to get rid of it. Bear this in mind before you break any of the forum rules; you are a guest here and that hospitality only stretches so far. Then you are out.

9. How come I can not add an avatar or a signature?

(see #6) Members with less than three posts can't send use avatars or signature, which was set to prevent a hack (which has since been patched). The restriction is left in place, just in case.
Once you have 3 posts, you automatically move from the usergroup "Newest" to "Newbie" and can use the profile system as normal using the User CP option in the menu. Happy posting 
Posts in the Trading forum, Tavern and roleplaying boards do not count toward your total post-count.
Of course, if you spam to attain this rank we will simply bar you from future use of the forum altogether.

For a multitude of other questions on this topic, see this thread.

The old sticky on this subject
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=36223.0

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:17:28 PM by Kindred »

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.