News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Lethal Elegance: SeekingOne's Eldar blog  (Read 16389 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: A Lethal Elegance: SeekingOne's Eldar blog
« Reply #40 on: March 1, 2018, 07:06:45 AM »
Thank you for your swift reply, SeekingOne!
The winged helmets from one of the Fantasy High Elves characters would look Micky Mouse and functional on the exarch.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #41 on: March 1, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »
I don't think my reply will truly express how blown away I am by those Shining Spears.

The conversion work is spot on, to the point that if you just look at the finished photos, I'd have no idea that they were converted; which I see as the goal of conversion work. The dedication to do that over a full squad is impressive , to say the least.

As for the painting? Just wow.

The blue's are absolutely eye-popping. So smooth, with just the right depth. If you hadn't added any of the white markings, I would still be picking my jaw off the floor. As is, the details knock the canopies out of the park.

I love the battle damage too. Perfect. Understated but beautiful.

And then you go and add those beautiful riders on top of the things.

I genuinely can't figure out whether I'm feeling more awe or jealousy at the moment! I would give me right leg to have your level of skill. Amazing work and something to really be proud of. 2 months? I don't think any of us could achieve the same result if given 2 years.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #42 on: March 1, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »
@Looshkin
You're making me blush with your high praise Loosh :D Thank you so much, means a lot to me!
Although I do think that if any of you guys actually gets to spend 2 months on one unit, you'll easily do just as well or better than me! :)

And now I'm sitting here, waiting with dread for the big March FAQ, hoping against hope that my Shining Spears won't get nerfed into oblivion... ;D
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #43 on: March 1, 2018, 12:06:09 PM »
Outstanding conversion and painting work on the Shining Spears.  The way in which you bulked up the leg armour was very cleverly executed and I really like the final paint scheme.  That blue, in particular, gives them that sleek feel which you were after with the modelling work, as well as a regal touch which is most suitable for such an elite Eldar Aspect unit.

The picture of your entire army is equally impressive.  It must feel very good to be able to put down such well painted models on the table :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #44 on: March 1, 2018, 05:27:29 PM »
Go the blue spears :) fantastic work, really love the pattern on the jetbike hulls, and the lances being a separate colour is also a very nice touch.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #45 on: March 2, 2018, 07:47:34 AM »
I'm just gonna come out and give it to you straight. I think this might be the single most epic hobby post on the forum. Not only is conversion work/resculpt absolutely mind boggling in terms of subtlety and flawless execution... but the paint jobs, the tiny bits of damage (AMAZING) and the forethought given to army composition all combines into the total apotheosis of 40k hobby greatness.

I'm not kidding this might be the most epic hobby post on the forum.

While the resculpt blew me away, the one thing I gotta take special note of is of course the paint jobs. The landslide win begins with just the color choices/balance. The scheme is simply amazing. The dominant blue is 100% the way to go... the green gems tie it back into the Saim-Hann and keep the cool color theme going, while the Warplock Bronze spear keeps the weapon non-intrusive keeping a streamlined look for each model (and thus the unit) and works with the blue to keep a richer, darker color pallet which I love.

Then comes the kicker. The damn freehand. Holy crap. Just beautiful and all of a sudden the dark, cool scheme has a brilliant point of contrast that ties it directly into the classic scheme and there you go: a brilliant centerpiece unit that is sure to blow people away.

Cannot say how much I admire your work on this SeekingOne. Best unit of Shining Spears I've ever seen. TRULY inspirational my man. I gotta go back and do some work on my own Spears now. Absolutely amazing... totally worth the wait. Just an epic achievement. Keep rocking man you are KILLING IT!!!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #46 on: March 2, 2018, 09:57:03 AM »
Absolutely fascinating. I am totally enthralled with your thinking process and technique. It's akin to being able to look into the mind of a great master artist. And I truly mean artist and not simply a hobbyist.

I can't wait to see what you do with those rangers. I'm on pins and needles with anticipation.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2018, 06:01:47 PM »
@Irisado

Thank you Iris, happy to hear you like the conversion and the colours. Your thoughtful comments always mean a lot!

@magenb

Thanks! Funny thing is that the pattern on a bike hull was initially intended for the Exarch only, and I was planning to do something simpler on the regular spears. However, after the Exarch was complete, the pattern felt so right that I couldn't help but replicate it on the whole squadron!

@Cavalier

Hey Cav :) as always, you make me blush with your high praise :) very much appreciated!

@dog_of_war

Thank you mate, that was one of the most serious compliments I ever received. Means a lot to me.

And I'm just back from the No Retreat 6! It was an absolute blast of an event, held by the SN Battle Reports Team in Gibraltar. Fantastic atmosphere, wonderful tables, awesome people and of course breathtaking armies!

I placed 7th out of 40 in the tournament with 3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss to the future champion, none other than Lawrence "The Spider" Baker of Tabletop Tactics himself :) Will write up a more detailed coverage later.

What's even cooler, there was a special painting competition there. The competition effectively consisted of two parts: first, the TOs examined each army carefully and picked some of the best-looking models to participate in the contest; next, a jury of several painters selected the winners in three categories: Best Character, Best Unit, Best Vehicle.
In the evening of day 1, the selected models were put on display and it looked like this:

As you can (hopefully) see, there were some absolutely beautiful paint jobs there! Needless to say, standing before that display case I could scarcely believe that as many as 4 different units from my army were selected to be part of that awesome display. At that moment that fact in itself seriously felt like the biggest achievement I could dream of. You can imagine my surprise and joy when, after the competition results were declared in the end of day 2, I found that I'll be leaving home with these:

Yes, my High Autarch of Saim-Hann, who's birth you could observe in this blog, won the Best Character nomination :D The Best Unit prize was given to my squad of Windriders, which surprised me a bit as I personally believe my Shining Spears are painted better - but who am I to question the jury ;D

Sorry for this bit of bragging, but I just couldn't help :) This was the first time I happened to be in a painting competition - and winning 2 prizes at once was as awesome as it was unexpected :) And I once again want to say big Thanks to all of you guys here - your support really helped me to strive for the highest quality in my latest projects!

You can see a more detailed view of the competition entrees in this facebook album by SN Battle Reports

To be continued... :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2018, 06:13:23 PM »
Wow, that's absolutely awesome dude!
It's cool enough that you went to No Retreat and got to play Lawrence but to come away with a decent placing and winning the two categories is pretty damn amazing!
The painting awards are well deserved in my opinion, there was some great paintjobs there but you've smashed it with some of yours!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2018, 06:42:13 PM »
Well done on your performance in the gaming event SeekingOne!

More importantly, congratulations on winning 2 painting awards! That's huge. Some of those units look absolutely fabulous...but I can see why they voted for yours. They are terrific and highly deserving of the awards. Congratulations man, you really deserve it.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2018, 09:40:14 PM »
Congrats! There was some stiff competition there too.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2018, 11:02:17 PM »
G'day, SeekingOne!
You are the very best in our eyes, mate. I can see why your windriders won over the shining spears. Not everybody would have known about the extra sculpting gone into the SS's, plus one of the WR's has a face painted like no other.

Congrats, SeekingOne! You deserve this tremendous accolade after all the months put into your work, and 7th out of 40?... Niiiiice! Be well!   

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2018, 06:52:03 AM »
Wow! What an amazing achievement SeekingOne. Oh man I'd be over the moon winning those awards, getting my minis in the case and coming away with a great winning record. Absolutely fantastic! You should be very proud.

But damn you lost to that Spider! I wanted you to give him a good thrashing for us. Oh well, that guy is beyond pro, but good for you getting in there and doing work.

Did he bring his Dark Eldar? If so we'll probably be interviewing him again on the podcast. I'll try and get him to give you a shoutout!

Anyway fantastic stuff and so well deserved. Your Autarch and Wind Riders (should have been the Spears though!!!) are utterly amazing. Cheers man

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »
@All

Thanks everyone for your kind words! Your support is truly invaluable.

@Cavalier

I feel honoured, and of course very proud too!

And no, Lawrence used his Ulthwe Eldar this time. It was a mechanised force of 5 Wave Serpents and 3 Hemlocks, with some Rangers and lots of Guardians, naturally led by Eldrad Ulthran. It was sight to behold - a real tide of black hulls washing over the battlefield. The game was short and brutal, but the battlefield looked epic in the process! :)

A small update:

Prepped and primed Rangers. Even though the models are one-piece and practically didn't need any assembly, straightening the resin rifle barrels took me a couple nights' work. After getting heated in boiling water and straightened, the GW resin does seem to have tendency to return to its warped shape after some time - something that I never saw before in FW or 3rd party resin. I even had to saw off a few barrels and re-pin them in a "straighter" position to reduce the amount of heat-straightening required.

Before I get to paint the Rangers though I'm planning to work on their leader - Illic Nightspear, who's also primed and (almost) ready.

Just as I did with the Shining Spear exarch, I'll use Illic as a sort of a test model for Rangers. He's a standalone character, so I can easily alter something in the colour scheme, should I want to do so after completing him.

Currently my plan is to paint his armour blue (the same shade as I used for Shining Spears), boots and gauntlets dark brown to imitate leather. I want to try making his cloak a combination of dark and light grey instead of the standard brown though, to differentiate it from leather and because grey should look better with blue. We'll see how it works out.

To be continued...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2018, 03:44:51 PM »
G'day, SeekingOne!
So the comp was won by an Eldar citizen army?... Niiiiice! A table full of rending is a hoot. Were they all defender guardians, mate, or were some storm guardians thrown in as well?

After seeing what you did to those jetbike units, am keen to see how this ranger unit turns out... Be well!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2018, 04:00:32 AM »
So the comp was won by an Eldar citizen army?... Niiiiice!
It was nice indeed!

A table full of rending is a hoot. Were they all defender guardians, mate, or were some storm guardians thrown in as well?

There were 4 units of 10 Defender Guardians, with no upgrades.
The tactic Lawrence used was an epitome of the true Aeldari art of war: his Hemlocks went straight for a surgical killing strike against the most dangerous enemy unit(s), basically tearing out the enemy's sharpest fangs right away; multiple Serpents ensured lots of board control. Basically Serpents were used to sort of block out areas of battlefield creating pockets of relatively safer ground, which Guardians then used to disembark and blast away with their shuricats. Tons of shuriken supported by Doom and combined with some precision fire from 9 rangers and mortal wounds inflicted by Serpent shields made short work of any target even after Hemlocks were gone (which was usually the case as they tend to take the heaviest fire from the start). Serpent shields were used extensively, and multiple CP were spent on the extra Serpent shield blasts as well as Discipline of Black Guardians, both to great effect.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2018, 08:21:49 AM »
I feel your pain with the 'failcast'. The swords on my incbui were terrible. I had to break most of them and reglue to get them even remotely straight. So wished GW would either switch to plastic exclusively or bring back metal. I would wholeheartedly pay a premium for metal knowing what the alternative is.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #57 on: April 6, 2018, 10:24:01 AM »
Awesome stuff dude! Congrats on the well-deserved prizes ;)

Looking forward to the Rangers, even with the finecast troubles.

We should start a petition to get everything in plastic ;) if only for selfish reasons as it's so nice to work with for conversions...
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
Re: A Lethal Elegance: SeekingOne\'s Eldar blog
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2018, 03:17:44 PM »
Here I am again, with an update that is LONG overdue. But, as they say, better late than never, right? ;)

Seriously though, I apologize for neglecting my project for so long. Thing is, in the middle of painting Illic Nightspear I was distracted for a few weeks by a trip to Hymalayas - and when I returned I dived back into painting which was getting ever more frantic with each passing week. But at least I now have some nice progress to share with you!

So, my approach to painting Illic wasn't particularly creative. I really like the way he's painted by GW Citadel team, and was aiming to do something similar. There was one part where I wanted to try something slightly different however - the ranger cloak.

The standard GW model has a fairly light and smooth-looking brown cloak with a simple camo pattern on it - and one thing I definitely did not want to do was camo pattern. On one hand, free-handing it would have taken me forever. But on the other hand, camo patterns always feel somewhat inappropriate to the Eldar - too mundane and too mon-keigh'ish in nature :) I always envisioned the cloaks of Eldar rangers more as something akin to LotR - unremarkable yet blending into the surroundings just by the nature of their craftsmanship. And it was that vague image that I decided to try to re-create in my painting.

But first things first. I assembled the model gluing the right arm to the body but leaving left arm with the rifle and the head separate. I also had to saw off and pin back the rifle's barrel to make it look straighter (silly failcast!) Also, even though he comes with a small infantry base, I found that the nature of his pose perching on a piece of eldar masonry makes the model on a small base extremely wobbly. So I got a big terminator-sized base instead, and decorated it with a couple of "rocks" made of tree bark.

As always, I started with airbrushing smaller details - those which would benefit from smooth finish and which could also be masked off easily. In this case those details were blue armour details and the rifle.

I covered armour with liquid mask - and then came the time to paint the cloak.
After some searching I found the set of colours that felt ideal for creating that look of unremarkable, rugged and dusty cloak of an outcast that spends all his life on the road. The colours are the Citadel "grey-brown" set:
- Dryad bark;
- Gorthor brown;
- Baneblade brown.
I was super-happy to find out that Dryad Bark and Baneblade Brown are also available in Citadel Air range. Gorthor is not, sadly, but I had to replace it with Vallejo Model Air Camo Pale Brown, which is fairly similar in hue.

In fact, initially I wasn't 100% sure about brown - I also had an alternative idea of making cloaks light grey to make them closer to "urban camo" style. So I started with experimenting on a few old Wood Elf Glade Guard cloaks that I dug out of my bits box.

Test paint job is naturally hasty and sloppy, but it was still 100% clear that brown looked far more interesting and natural. And so the decision was made, and I started working on the actual Illic's cloak.

Using airbrush, I applied Dryad Bark as base colour, then highlighted it progressively first with Camo Pale Brown then with Baneblade brown. After applying the final highlight I went back and accentuated deepest shades with a mix of Dryad Bark and Black. After that there were a few inevitable iterations of going back and forth between shading and highlighting, when I had first to re-apply some highlights because they got darkened by overspray of shade colour, and then re-apply some shades because they got oversprayed with highlight colour, and so on. In 2 or 3 iterations however I managed to get all colours where I wanted them :) Here's what it looked like:

As you can see, airbrush helped me create smooth highlights and shades on the biggest folds. I also created a general smooth gradient from the darkest area at the recessed waist towards the lightest areas at the outer-most edges of the sleeves.

Then it was the time for manual brushwork. As it is usually recommended, in order to reduce the risk of accidentally smearing already completed details I first of all applied all base colours to the rest of the model.

Then came the cloak. I used Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade to shade recesses between small folds and highlighted edges and sharpest creases with Baneblade brown, further accentuating them with a mix of Baneblade and VMA Ivory. After finishing just the folds and creases however the cloak looked too smooth and plain, so I decided to add some random signs of wear like scratches, tear-marks, etc. using the same colours that I used to shade and highlight. I actually like all things smooth and clean, so adding any kind of damage or wear to my models always requires a conscious effort from me :) But here it worked out pretty well. Here's the result:

I have to say, this feels like the best example of an effective combination of airbrushing and manual brushwork that I achieved so far :)

After that, the rest was fairly technical. I painted gauntlets and boots (leggings?) dark brown and highlighted them adding VMA Sand Yellow, to imitate hard dark leather worn out on creases. The blue armour was done the same way as on Shining Spears, and bone on the rifle is also standard. I also paited the face in my usual way, starting with Bigman's Glow and highlighting it all the way up to light bone.

Finally I painted the base and assembled the model. Aaaaand... There he is!

I think this is literally one of the best GW models so far. Fantastic sculpt, great pose, lots of depth and character. Proud to have him reinforcing my battalion!

Adding him was the first (but definitely not the last) step towards converting the Battalion in my main list to Alaitoc.

Post Merge: May 31, 2018, 03:52:19 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

This is not all though! :)

After completing the master ranger, I really wanted to retain the momentum and jumped straight to the squad of 5 Rangers. True to the initial plan, I painted them following all the same steps as with Illic. However, at some point a couple of my buddies convinced me to try my hand at creating some mean-looking decorations and showered me with reference examples. Inspired so, I actually managed to paint a simple skull-like design on a faceplate of one of the ranger's helmets - which officially became my first true free-hand in this life! lol

Totally simplistic as it is, it still turned out to be pretty cool, which inspired me even further - and I managed a similar but even more badass-looking design on one of the bandanas:

This guy is definitely the meanest-looking model I ever painted :))

And here's the completed squad.

To be continued... ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:52:20 PM by SeekingOne »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »
Looks crazy awesome SeekingOne. The skull face is just amazing. Truly impressive work. The colors really feel "more Alaitoc" than the GW scheme. The emphasis on the the blue was the clutch move.

Are you starting an Alaitoc army? Or just some reinforcements for your Saim-Hann. Illic has been a boss in the games I've run him in. I'm really dying to get him involved in more games, because his damage output is awesome. Especially when I run into Celestine as much as I do. lol. Love to hear what the plan is going forward.

Fantastic to see you back, make sure you keep us updated!