News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 3000 points Lizardmen Vs. the Von Carsteins  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
3000 points Lizardmen Vs. the Von Carsteins
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
Got my game in and took down notes to tell people how it went.

My army list is and the general scenario is here:

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=181741.0

My Opponent's army list was stupefying to say the least.

Vlad Von Carstein ( General )
- With the center unit of ghouls

Count Mannfred
- Skull Staff, Staff of Damnation, Barded Nightmare
- With the Center unit of ghouls

Konrad Von Carstein
- With the left-most unit of ghouls

Vampire
- Sword of Battle, Flayed Hauberk, Talisman of the Lycni
- Forbidden Lore ( chosing Metal ), Summon Ghouls
- With the right-most unit of ghouls

Vampire
- 2 Dispell Scrolls
- Avatar of Death ( two hand weapons ), Dark Acolyte
- With the left-most unit of ghouls

Vampire
- Sword of Might, Cadaverous Cuirass, Talisman of Protection
- Red Fury
- With the Right-most unit of ghouls

10 Black Knights
- Full Command

10 Black Knights
- Full Command

3 x 15 Ghouls
- Champions

10 Skeletons
- Musician, Standard

Terrain and Deployment

We were playing on an 8 foot table and terrain was fairly sparse, with two forests off to the sides and front of his deployment zone and a hill in front of and to the left of my deployment zone and a ruin in front and to the right.

My deployment went as I had planned, with the skink with blowpipes starting on the right, behind the ruin and moving to the left went the Engine of the Gods, Saurus with Spears, Slann and Salamander ( Salamander in front of the Slann ), Saurus, Kroxigors and Skinks with Javelins who were joined by the skink priest on foot.

His deployment was very straight forward, the three units of ghouls with their characters set up in the center, next to each other with the small skeleton unit skulking behind the main line. His Black Knight units were in reserve for flanking.

Turn 1

I had the pleasure of going first and started by moving everything forward. The skinks with blowpipes slipped inside the ruins in front of them. I started the Magic Phase with Second sign, earning 2 re-rolls. A second attempt at Second sign was dispelled, as was an attempt at a Fireball. Conflagration of Doom was successful on the center unit of ghouls, but only managed to kill 3. I saved two dice into my diadem and called the Magic Phase over. The Salamander spit toward the center ghoul unit, but fell short.

The undead turn was quiet, as they refused to shorten the already short distance between them and the approaching lizardmen army. Konrad rolled stupidity for the turn and then passed his leadership test, so he was safe in compulsory movement. The Magic phase went poorly as well, with several spells failing to go off and those that did were easily dispelled.

Turn 2

My Cold One Cavalry showed up this turn, charging on from the right side of the board. The Skinks in the ruins stayed where they were, certain they wouldn't be of much use charging up with the rest of the battleline. The Kroxigors and skinks with javelins on the other side of the field, turned to face the short board edge, now aware of which direction the enemy was coming on from. Magic started off well, with the Skink Priest riding the Engine casting Uranon's thunderbolt onto the right-most unit of ghouls and killing 5, while a fireball cast at the same unit killed another one. An attempt at Conflagration brought out a dispell scroll. Two dice were again saved in the diadem and the magic phase was over. ( Should also be noted that I once again also got off Second Sign, but as with the first turn, I completely forgot to use my re-rolls. ). The salamander spit at the center ghoul unit again, but fell short, the toxic spray killing only the grass at the ghoul's feet.

The undead turn was quiet again, with one unit of Black Knights coming on from the left table edge and the right-most ghoul unit turning to face the oncoming Saurus cavalry. Another poor magic phase followed, with all his spells either failing to be cast or being dispelled with the combination of dice and scrolls.

Turn 3

My Carnosaur and second Salamander both appeared on the field this turn, sprinting forward towards the center where the carnage was about to begin. The rest of the center line moved further up, eager to get to grips with the enemy. While the Kroxigors lined themselves up, ready for the mounted wight's charge. The only spell to be successfully cast this turn was Conflagration of Doom on the center unit of ghouls, killing only 4 of the half-naked creatures though. The salamander once again sprayed his venom at the enemy, but got over-zealous in his attempt, lobbing the spray completely over the ghouls right in front of him and melting away 2 skeletons from the small unit skulking in the back.

The undead finally seemed to wake up. The second unit of Black Knights trotting onto the field. Konrad became enraged at the sight of the enemy so close and charged his unit of ghouls ( the left-most unit ) into the Saurus with hand weapons. Mannfred and Vlad's unit of ghouls in the center also charged into combat with the salamander. Downfield, the first unit of Black Knights to enter the field charged into the Kroxigors. The vampires in the right-most ghoul unit decided staring down the Cold One Cavalry wasn't the best idea and together moved to the skeleton unit that had slid up next to them. The Magic phase was again unimpressive, with a single Danse Macabre being cast on Mannfred and Vlad's unit, who quickly slaughtered the salamander and overran straight into the Slann ( Bad me for leaving enough space between my saurus for a full-sized unit to get through. ) In the combat between the Knights and the Kroxigor, the wights managed only two wounds onto the hulking brutes, but their horses made up for the poor round of combat, doing a further three and kicking a Kroxigor to death. For their trouble, two of the knights were smashed apart by massive gold clubs, but it wasn't enough and the remaining Krox's were run down. In Konrad's combat, the Saurus champion stepped forward to take the brunt of the insane vampire's attacks, receiving three fatal wounds before he hit the ground. It was enough though and the Saurus warriors won the combat by three, sending some of Konrad's ghouls fleeing from the back of the unit.

Turn 4

The Cold one cavalry charged with a roar into the unit of ghouls in front of them, while the ranked up unit of Saurus charged into the skeleton unit the vampires had fled to. The skinks on the left side of the field backed away from the undead knights. Magic began with Second Sign, which was promptly bungled by the skink priest and ended the phase. The charge of the cold ones decimated the ghoul unit, winning combat by 11, who then restrained their mounts from overrunning to keep in line with the rest of the battlefield. In the combat between the saurus and the skeletons, one vampire stepped forward offering a challenge which was accepted by the unit champion who was quickly cut down. The remaining saurus only managed to strike down a meager two skeletons before the other vampire killed two more of the scaly warriors, but their numbers meant the Saurus held their ground and won the combat by a single point. The slann merely blinked slowly as Mannfred, Vlad and their ghouls attacks rebounded off of him, but the weight of their numbers pushed the palaquin back, the toad's eyes opening wide for possibly the first time ever as his stone seat was quickly covered in ghouls that tore him apart. Konrad remained frenzied and with no champion to stall him, tore into the unit of saurus, killing 4 of the creatures to himself. His vampire companion killed another 1. But the saurus stood resolute and passed their break test.

The undead turn began with both units of wights moving up, the closest one turning to face the rear of the saurus fighting against Konrad. Mannfred and Vlad's unit also reformed to turn around and face the groups that were still fighting. Invocation summoned two ghouls back to Konrad's side and Danse Macabre pushed the general's unit back up in line to charge the lizardmen units, failing to notice the ancient stegadon and carnosaur lining up on their flank. Konrad continued to tear through the saurus, eliminating the front rank without any help from his unit, but still the reptilian soldiers held. The other unit was facing the same fate as another vampire with red fury carved a bloody path through the saurus, but they too held their ground for another turn.

Turn 5

My turn began with the Stegadon charging into the flank of Mannfred and Vlad's unit, and the scar-veteran charged out of the Cold One Cavalry into the flank of the skeletons to add his weight to the combat.....

And then we had to call it because the store was closing.

Ugh. It was really a good game, with the feeling of victory sliding back and forth between the player who'se turn it was. I have to say though, my opponent's first few magic phases were horrible, successfully casting maybe two spells, that had no chance of getting through my pile of dispell dice at the time. I am also surprised at the number of mistakes I made during the game, forgetting my re-rolls, allowing my slann to get overran into, allowing the vampires to get the charge off was a really big mistake, but I also didn't want both of us sitting there with our combat units 9" apart for the rest of the game knowing whoever moved first was getting charged because I've had several of those games and they're never that much fun. Ah well, thus, live and learn.

Result: Minor Victory for the Von Carsteins
Point Difference: 864.5
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
Re: 3000 points Lizardmen Vs. the Von Carsteins
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 03:49:19 AM »
Sounded certainly like an intresting game. Too bad that you had to stop and couldnt play the remaining turn. Maybe you should include some Temple Guards for your Slann at that point level. That way it would probably have stayed a turn or two longer (depending upon how fast they die). Your opponent messing up his magic in such a way was also funny, usually in my games against VC i have to face on turn 3 a much larger hord of undead than in the beginning  :P

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Perihelion

• In the 41st millenium, there is... LOVE AND PEACE!
Re: 3000 points Lizardmen Vs. the Von Carsteins
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:29:25 PM »
That vampire list is appalling to me. I expected you to steamroll him. You had the right mindset and strategy, too.

... :-\
"The strength of your force may be calculated by multiplying its weight by its velocity. Strive always to maximize both and victory shall be yours."
-Commander Puretide, The Forty Second Meditation on the Way of the Warrior

Hell, get some personality and get something other than a Fireknife...