News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Should I use Drazha with a retinue of Incubi.  (Read 975 times)

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
Should I use Drazha with a retinue of Incubi.
« on: April 9, 2005, 03:42:14 PM »
 Should I use Drazha with a retinue of Incubi or just simple warriors in most battles I really like him but is it a good choice.
it was harry...

Offline marts

Re: Should I use Drazha with a retinue of Incubi.
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2005, 06:11:24 PM »
id just use incubi unless your totaly sure all your oppents will agree to special characters. its also easier to make fluff without special characters.

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #2 on: April 9, 2005, 06:44:15 PM »
Drazhar is generally overkill. A lord + 5 or 6 Incubi is enough to carve up most opponents.

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2005, 10:45:05 PM »
I'll use him in games over 2K points or if I am playing an opponent that I know takes multiple Terminator squads.  And occasionally in lower point games for giggles.  But when I do the Retinue is as small as I can make it.  At his points cost he will make your HQs really expensive so you need to be aware of that. 

He can actually be an asset to prevent overkill.  Since his initiative is higher than the rest of the Incubi he and the lord will strike first.  Between them you can kill enough minis in BtB so your opponent can't strike back but isn't wiped out.   

Robo.  You don't need your opponents permission to use him anymore.  With the second edition CODEX, they took that sentence out of the entries for DE special cahacters.
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 04:19:58 AM »
 What do you mean by overkill
it was harry...

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 05:53:54 AM »
Let's try it the socratic way ;)

What is going to happen if a unit of a lord, five incubi and drazhar charge a unit of about ten marines?
What if they don't have drazhar with them?

Offline Gremlare

• Fear? Mercy?
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 07:23:24 AM »
Drazhar is a psycho mofoe.  He can eat units before your incubi even get to attack.  That said take him when you can for fun, but remember he is kinda expensive and most of the time the force isn't needed.
::GREMLARE::

Offline JaedenKaal

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Archon, Kabal of the Black Contagion
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 01:41:04 PM »
I think for 90 points he's a steal.  three wounds, multiple wounds per hit, he's way more economical than 3 incubi.  And, of course, you can use his ability to keep your Archon in the thick of things; she can't attack if she's not in base contact, but he can because he's not an IC.
Scream, mon-keigh!  Scream for your emperor!  He cannot hear your cries, cannot save you from eternal torment at the hands of my haemonculi!  Which reminds me...  I need new bedsheets...

Offline Havrik

• May Guilliman's creations fall
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 03:01:46 PM »
it all depends on how many points u have, really.  anything over 1500 points, i'd slip em in.  but the thing is, he's about as expensive as a squad of warriors, so people lean towards the latter for numerical sake, as well as dark lances.  however, i like drazhar the most out of the special chars
Vostroyans (1500) - 3-0-1
Black Templars (in progress)

High Elf (warband) 4-3-0

Offline Oblivion

• RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 11:52:20 AM »
Since the topic of draza came up, there is one question that I have been mulling over about him for a few years now. How is his multiple-wounds rule treated when targetting squads. Can a single hit cause two wounds on two separate models or is this ability only good for targeting multi-wound models ???

Getting a bit off-topic but I didn't wan't to start a new topic just for a quick question and I think I will get more knowledgeable answers from the DE community here than in the rules forum.

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 12:39:57 PM »
Shmee-  Overkill.  There are times you don't want to totally massacre a squad in HtH the first round.  Just kill everyone in BtB so your opponent can't strike back.  I tend to jump my sqds.  One locks a unit to allow the next one to get into position to assault one behind it.  If you get a massacre the squad is left in the open holding a shoot me sign.

Drahzar can be an excellent multi-wound character killer or spread out in a squad.  Put him in BtB with an IC and direct all his attacks or attack a squad as a whole and kill the ones in BtB in addition to the ones within his kill zone.  I've used him both ways.  Don't forget he can also switch places with your lord which can come in handy. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 12:49:22 PM »
Another important thing about drazhar is that he is not an independent character - he can't be singled out by the enemy.

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
  • BOOOOOOOOM...."yes, that red button..."
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 07:45:36 AM »
Come to think of it, do you have to attack or not? If a guy just wants to stand in a male and not attack, then why cant he? Its a bit like the old 'my wyches dont have to shoot at that squad before they charge' situation. Can someone clarify this for me?

Oh, and as for the multi wound thingy, yes, ke can kill two models with one hit- just imagie in as he chopps through the first guy and hits the second guy or whatever, but that was explained to me a while ago by someone else on this forum.
Some of my favorites:

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day- Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I lay in bed last night looking up at the stars in the sky, and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose

If ther's something you can deffinetely rely on it's gotta be- oh, theres not

Offline ArchonCryx

• Dracon Author of long replies
  • Ancient
  • Dracon: Kabal of the Bloodied Claw of Despair
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 09:08:58 AM »
It's meant to represent the fact he is using TWO blades, so it seems obvious that he can kill two opponents from one hit. "These are treated as a power weapon that can cause 2 wounds for each hit inflicted (this means that 2 wound rolls are made for each successful hit). " Seems pretty clear.

Even though I dont use him much, since he's such a lush mini I do bring out on occaision at friendlies. Unlike some others here, I'd prefer to save him for 2000+ pt games, so I can have an independendent drugged up SF super Archon and have a squad of incubi lead by a minimalist Dracon with Six Incubi and Drazhar. Now for such a squad, Drazhar's ability to swap places with the Lord is handy as the Lord has  a sucky save.I generally find my cheapo Dracons die quite quick, so the squad ends up being entirely Incubi! It's fiun when someone sets up a charge with no power weapons but a amphetamine parroteload of attacks, and you swap Drazhar for the Lord, getting his much better save!Add this to the fact of his extra wound and there's plenty of times when you can usefully swap out the Dracon.

Drazhars for those games where fun is the only aim. Perhaps your opponent brings out his super expensive HQ retinue as well. ALlows for a nice change form those balanced armies that are used in tournament play, which are gretarmies, just they aren't the be-all and end-all. :)
"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines   ;)

Lords of Terra (Open) +High Lords (invitational)- Sydney July 24-25 2012, 1750pts, check lordsofterra.com