News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: DE Special Characters  (Read 685 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
DE Special Characters
« on: July 3, 2004, 05:41:16 PM »
ive decided that im having a wych cult and a kabal, the wych cult will be lead my lelith but im not sure as to who will lead my kabal, vects really gd but very expensive, kruellagh the vile doesnt seem to be very gd unless shes with a retiune, urien and the mandrake guy (probably not him as there isnt a modle for him)

also can drazhar be used in a wych cult? cos if he can i'll probably use him as he and lelith will only be 180 pts together and willl KICK ASS in close combat
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline ArchonRelentless

• Newest
  • I do not fear death, it is death that fears me!
Re: DE Special Characters
« Reply #1 on: July 3, 2004, 06:20:46 PM »
I wouldnt recommend using a special character as HQ for your Kabal instea use a normal Archon and give him a Shadow Field, Agoniser, Combat Drugs and a Splinter Pistol. A lso give him a retinue of 8 normal incubi and drazhar put them on a raider and give the raider screaming jets 2 allow deep strike to get them in fast. This costs almost 600 points but is worth it.
Relentless

Offline Mernil

• No-one escapes the Dark City.
« Reply #2 on: July 4, 2004, 05:35:44 AM »
Like relentless said, I wouldn't use a special character for your kabal. An archon does the job very nicely. Although I wouldn't use 8 incubi since this is just plain overkill. 5 incubi will do the job just as well as 8.

I'm not sure about the Drazhar thing, but I think you can field him in a wych cult. Although I don't know if you would need him. Lelith and her wych retuni do the job nicely.
"They want us to fear them. And they will come, and they will kill us. But they don't just kill you..."

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• The Twisted Haemonculus
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Serious as a hemophiliac in a razor blade factory.
« Reply #3 on: July 4, 2004, 08:12:00 PM »
You could use Urein to lead a coven style army... which would be very cool. Though as you are using Kabal and Cult, I would recomend avoiding special characters in both cases, using an Archon and Acrhite (respectively) instead. However, as you are using a special characters, Vect is a good bang for your buck, with AV14 (almost), though Drahazar with a codex Archon/Drachite would work just as well.
People ask how come I play such a twisted army. I reply that I have the heart of a young boy; in a jar right next to his brain.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline ArchonCryx

• Dracon Author of long replies
  • Ancient
  • Dracon: Kabal of the Bloodied Claw of Despair
« Reply #4 on: July 5, 2004, 03:01:59 AM »
Obviously you can't use Drazhar in a Wych Cult (no Incubi) and similarly Urien can't really be involved either. I too like the "plain" Archon w/ SF/CDs/Agr/SP in preference to any of the special characars.. so much more powerful...

If you like the minis, there no reason why you can't use a specuial character mini as a "stand in" for a "vanilla character". Iprefer adding my own wargear, the character becomes *mine* then....
"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines   ;)

Lords of Terra (Open) +High Lords (invitational)- Sydney July 24-25 2012, 1750pts, check lordsofterra.com

Offline CrimsonShadow

• Cheerleader!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lord Captain Cheerleader of DOOM!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 09:41:59 AM »
Obviously you can't use Drazhar in a Wych Cult (no Incubi) and similarly Urien can't really be involved either.

Thanks for beatin me to the punch Alex!  I must be slow this morning!   :P  If you read your codex silverburner, you'll see that Drazhar replaces an incubi in the Archon's retinue.  He's your run of the mill, champion badass incubi.  Mernil was absolutely correct in stating that more than 5 or 6 incubi are just plain overkill.  While I LOVE the model, and Drazhar makes a retinue just plain nasty, he also puts it into the overkill departmant, and so unless I'm just playing for fun, I usually leave him at home. 

The reason you DON'T want your HQ to be that uber, is that there isn't much that squad can't slice right through in a single turn.  While this doesn't sound like a bad idea, that also means that your uber HQ is now completely vulnerable to shooting attacks on your opponent's turn.  Taking 5 or 6 incubi, while still a formidable squad, will usually leave one or two left standing that you can finish off on your opponent's assault phase, thereby keeping them safe from shooting attacks.  Making very large uber HQ squads is a common mistake of players new to DE.  Keep in mind, that sinking that many points into a single unit, also makes a nice juicy target for your opponent to pour every last shot he has into.

That is all.

CrimsonShadow
"Some people will tell you that slow is good...and it may be, on some days...but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...."
~ Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

We are not human beings.  We are human doings.

Offline Rathnard

• Sybarite
  • If you were dead, I'd be home by now...
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 02:33:44 AM »
With the exception of Lileth and possibly Drahzar (in larger games), the standard HQ is always going to be a better choice.

The only reason you should take a special character is for flavour or just to try something interesting for once.

Don't pass up the decapitator just because he doesn't have a model. He may be very vulnerable with T3 and only 2 wounds, but his deployment rules make him a VERY fun character to use, especially when you decide to back him up with 27 mandrakes.  ;D

"There is something I do not know, the knowing of which could change everything"

-Werner Erhard