News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: need advice for my 1250-2000 pt. army  (Read 343 times)

Offline Rad2002

• DE pride, keepin' it real..
need advice for my 1250-2000 pt. army
« on: January 14, 2004, 12:24:47 AM »
Just before I list my list, I just want to say I probably won't fill that 3rd support choice with another ravager for awhile due to costs of living. Same goes for finishing 2- 4man jetbike squads. I was consideringputting in my 7 hellions, but I usually play against sm players.

I was considering making a Dracon with Animus Vitae, punisher, tormentor helmet, combat drugs. I've never tried it so any advice can help.

I also know I need more warrior squads, but due to lack of funds that'll have to wait, too. I also have to finish those wyche squads.

About my Raiders having Scythes, most of the time, my guys are in the heat of battle. Then prances along a posse of Smurfs w/ a power fists, and there goes my raider.

hq: Raider - Night Shield, Scythes ~80
Archon - agoniser, close combat weapon, combat drugs, shadow field, and hell mask  ~136

6x Incubi
1x Incubi Master (The I6 helps when you're doing the power weapon struggle against HQ squads)
3xwarriors - 2 splinter cannon  ~239

Raider - Night Shield, Scythes ~80
Elite:7x wyches - wych weapons, 2 blasters
1x Succubus - agoniser, splinter pistol, plasma grenades ~138

Raider - Night Shield, scythes  ~80
7x wyches - wych weapons, 2 shredders
1x Succubus - agoniser, splinter pistol  ~146

5x warp beast
1x master  ~75

Troops: 10x warriors - 2 splinter cannons
1x Sybarite - agoniser, splinter pistol  ~135

2x11x warriors - 2 dark lances  ~216

Heavy Support:
Ravager - 2x Disintegrators 1 Dark Lance, Nightshield,
Scythes  ~135

Sometimes I drop that first troop choice (1325 pts.) out, or the Beasts (1250 pts.) and add one of these:

Talos  ~100

Drazhar
6x Grotesques  ~180

Urien Rakarth
5x Uber Grotesques  ~175

5x Scrouges - 3 splinter cannons  ~ 140

If you have any suggestions about anything I haven't talked about, I'm all ears.

~Obsidian 05
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 12:37:13 AM by Rad2002 »
"Suddenly, a blade cam out of nowhere, slicing through his arm just above the elbow. Brazhak looked round and saw a tall pointy-ear, decked out  in armor. Before he could bring his slugga up for a shot, the enemy attacked again..."
~ Drazhar's passage

Offline Invidious

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: need advice for my 1250-2000 pt. army
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 01:39:56 AM »
First thing (ok, actually the last thing) i thought of was get a pair of wings and convert another scourge with a splinter cannon, it would make the squad much better.

Now about those Scythes, you realize that Raiders are skimmers right?  Meaning that your opponent needs a 6 just to hit them in close combat with those power fists?  Seriously, the raiders should not go down that way, they should go down to bolters.

The Uber-strong lord (or Dark Eldar Powerfist) is a viable option, though more commonly seen riding a Reaver Jetbike or Hellion skyboard than with a Retinue, still don't let that discourage you, I really like the config.  Speaking of the Retinue... yeah...  OK several things:

1) You play space marines? Whats this initiative game crap?   WTF does the guy USE that is that powerful?

2) The Force Commander only has initiative 5, so you strike at the same time with normal incubi.

3) He shouldn't be tearing through your HQ, it should be the other way around.... again, wtf does this guy USE?  You should barely even need the incubi.

Long story short, I think you should drop the master.  Also warriors serve no purpose in a retinue such as yours.  Drop them out.

ELITE:  Wych succubus does not really *need* plasma grenades, kind of a waste.  But if you need points fillers i guess...  Better spent on grenades for the archon or elsewhere, I think.  Now about those blasters and shredders... yeah... get rid of those.  You lose 1 attack with each of those models for 2 ccws, and if you shoot before assaulting you lose all your charge attacks under 4th ED assault rules.  Not good.

HEAVY:  3 DIS ravager is the only way to go.  Well thats a lie, actually you can go the 3 DL ravager as well, but definitely 3 of one or 3 of the other, never 2 and 1.

Wasp

The thing I hate the most about 40K is people who amass the largest possible quantities of their Codex's most powerful unit and then proceed to call it "theme".

Offline Rad2002

• DE pride, keepin' it real..
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 02:31:41 AM »
The way I see it, kill them before they kill you. Because, seriously, other guys with power weapons at strength 4, and us at toughness 3.... yeah, it doesn't get pretty. And, I like to take my HQ squad to many many fights, so first strike is important to me. Besides, what if you're fighting scorps? My hq squad fought banshees? Or be assaulted by blood angels? They get I5 on the first round of combat if they charge.
What I said applies to what you said about the force commander being I5. What if you dont' kill him after your attacks? He'll just rape more of your guys off the board. Rape him before he rapes you......  That really doesn't sound right. NEway, if 9 power weapon attacks doesn't kill him, then the I5 will clean it up.

Yeah, it's a bastard that the ravager only comes with 2 dissies in a box. Yeah, I'll probably get the C'tan sword from that Tau hero guy when I get the bit for my 3rd dissie
"Suddenly, a blade cam out of nowhere, slicing through his arm just above the elbow. Brazhak looked round and saw a tall pointy-ear, decked out  in armor. Before he could bring his slugga up for a shot, the enemy attacked again..."
~ Drazhar's passage

Offline Ra' Araiq-Horak

• Sakura...
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 06:29:25 AM »
Rad2002.......im am so confused from reading your reply  ??? are you on drugs and am i just stoned cause i couldn't make much sense off what you said. But thats alright, alls well and good.
We are the Hawks, we are Raptors that fly at speeds you cannot imagine, we strike without warning and kill without mercy. We’ll feast on you soul and bath in your blood, fear us…Harbingers of Doom, we come for you, there is no comfort…we are coming… WE ARE COMING!

Offline Sariour

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 02:53:14 PM »
Alright, going over your list, you don't need that Incubi Master.  You really don't.  The initiative shouldn't be a problem for you as you should be determining who you assault.  Yes, BA assault on the same level as you do when they charge, usually with a unit like the one you are armed with you will be assaulting them and dropping them down to 3 or 4 members after your first round of combat.  Initiative isn't that big deal as you seem to make it.  Pick who you fight so that you don't have to worry about this "initiative problem".

The rest of your list...

Elites:  The Night Shield and Scythes are really unnecessary as the Raider is closing on the enemy to disgorge the wyches into close combat.  The Raider isn't getting into combat so the Scythes shouldn't really be there.  The Nightshield is a moot point at the second turn when the Raider is in range from all of the weapons your opponents have.  The Warp Beasts is nice and the inclusion of the Shedders is unorthodox enough for me to be a fan of.

Troops:  The footsloggers are another unorthodox idea though I would stick those two with sybarites into Raiders for the purpose of blocking the Wych and HQ Raiders.

Heavy Support:  Again the whole scythes thing.  And you should have your Ravagers centered only on Disitegrators.  You should have enough dark lances to deal with most armor on the board.

Cheers and Good Luck