News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rx8's wargaming table  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Rx8Speed

Rx8's wargaming table
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:06:26 PM »
Hello all,

first of all I want to say that there won't be any actual progress on this project for quite a while as I wont start until after I move into my new place on oct 31. Im just in planning stages. In fact I'm not even quite there yet. But once I do start expect a nice diy write up.

I want the gaming table to be deployable over a bed, rather than another table. Also I want to be able to store it under the bed.

Any ideas on how I can actually build this thing? Its a queen bed sitting on a standard bed rail

Offline Ambience 327

Re: Rx8's wargaming table
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 04:13:02 PM »
The biggest problem you are going to run into is properly supporting things without the boards being easy to shift/tilt due to sitting on top of the mattress. Depending on what space you might have available, building a frame of sawhorse style supports that are large enough to slot over the bed is probably your best bet.

I did something similar a few years back, but I was using a twin bed with parallel headboard & footboard that was the bottom half of a bunk bed, which made it a lot easier for me. I was able to just add two 2x4's between the head & foot, a pair of 4' x 4' particle boards over those, with some pins that sank down through the boards, 2x4's and into the old bunk bed slots.

Later on, we needed the bed to go back to back to bunk bed form, but still wanted to use the table stuff, so we bought sawhorse brackets that allow you to build a collapsable sawhorse out of properly cut 2x4's. Then it was a simple matter of putting holes in the right places on the sawhorses' top beams and assembling the table as we did before, with the sawhorses taking the place of the headboard & footboard.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 12:02:05 AM »
Well you can pickup 4 sheets of masonite which come in 2 x 3 feet boards down here. atleast 6 , 4 foot lengths of timber.

Screw two of the boards to the length of timber. The Timbers act as a rail, so you can slide it onto a matress or table.

|   |   | |   |   |
|___|___| |___|___|
|   |   | |   |   |
|   |   | |   |   |
You can join the two section together with just a couple of nuts and bolts,

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 09:08:37 AM »
Any ideas on how I can actually build this thing? Its a queen bed sitting on a standard bed rail

It might be worthwhile having a look at pasting/decorating tables for ideas on how to make a table that can be easily stored and deployed over the top of a bed.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!