2 (6.3%)
Awesome. Don't leave home without 'em.
9 (28.1%)
Tricky. Gotta use 'em right.
21 (65.6%)
Like I care?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Re:Landspeeders?  (Read 3905 times)

MarzJesterOfDeath

Re:Landspeeders?
« on: July 28, 2002, 12:08:47 AM »
lets see, i also play ravenwing so i must say that landspeeders are a must to have.  heavy fire support in a fast package.  can't beat them.

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
Landspeeders?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 12:46:38 PM »
Several posters have expressed their disdain for the Space Marine's only fast, anti-grav vehicle. What's your opinion?

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2002, 01:16:43 PM »
As a DE player i really don't like them. Their speed matches mine and their firepower is sufficient to glance my paper armored raiders with ease. They can severely slow down my advance >:(

jwu

Offline Spacewolf

• I am all that is evil. But you can call me cookie
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 01:50:33 PM »
 Personally they have never worked for me. But I have seen them do good for others. So I would say their is and art form to using them effectively.

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2002, 02:17:17 PM »
For me, they fall into the same category as Bikes. The games where I can be patient with them, bide my time, not charge them into battle, they work very well. They do a nice job mopping up, harassing, hunting down HVY units in the back.

When I forget the lessons I've learned before and charge them in, they get blowed-up real good.

Andy

Offline Kal

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2002, 05:12:03 PM »
They are really hit and miss sometimes I find. I have mine fitted with a Multi-Melta (salamanders) and if that doesn't blow the tank up first time, it usually finds itself on the wrong end of some heavy fire...and down it goes..this usually happens anyway but if I destory the nice fat juicy tank, I dont mind  ;D ( very few people leave their tanks all by their own).

I usually give the advice that only try and use them once you have a good solid army built up and you can afford to buy and use units that aren't effective first time around (some peole expect miracales!!) cause it takes quite a long time to use if right....I still experimenting....wa nna get the squadron up to three strong though..

Kal

Offline Arzetch

• "Fear the Stone Crawler"
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2002, 03:46:24 AM »
landspeeder is very good. tornados that is. match DE speed, killing warriors. shooting down raiders. and they are hard to. skimmers movin fast and they are not opend toped.

Offline Tycho

• BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • My 40k Site (still lots to to be done)
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2002, 09:19:26 AM »
i think that they are very tricky to use so you Gotta use 'em right.
"The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!"

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2002, 09:03:20 PM »
I never played a game of 40k with my Space Marine army without taking at least one landspeeder, and often more (I field up to 6 in game).

They are the most fragile part of a SM army, but potentially the most powerful. This was finally illustrated in the most recent WD, and it was the first time that a SM player in a WD battle report didn't simply use their landspeeders as a fast moving Tactical squad.

Landspeeders are perfect for setting up crossfires and capturing objectives and/or securing quarters. More importantly, their heavy bolters are awesome for ripping into ANY infantry unit, or if they're armed with multi-meltas...expect a lot of dead tanks.

I can't tell you how many times my landspeeders have been the unit(s) of the game -- and often to the surprise of my opponent. I will, however, admit that they are not as forgiving as a Land Raider or Tacitcal Squad. If you leave them in the open, if you don't keep them moving, or give them the right kind of support, they will be blown out of the sky rapidly by infantry with luck (a single bolter hit will often do the trick) or heavy weapons with ease.

cullyJR.

« Reply #9 on: August 6, 2002, 12:41:32 AM »
playing eldar also, I'm used to a little bit more staying power, what with all those countermeasures.  speeders are still tougher to kill than vypers, and have more stopping power, thanks to the crew.  a typhoon or tornado is to risky for me though, and I never take more than one to a squad, anything remotely shooty can take out three in one turn, just cause they've got one cluster to shoot at.

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: August 6, 2002, 05:37:30 PM »
  quite frankly are some of the most underrated units in the sm-list. now if you could only make tornados and typhoons into squadrons.

very tricky to use, but so worth the points. my 1500 vanilla list had two typhoons with mm upgrades. killed more than people gave them credit for.

;f.desrochers

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
  • Silent Night, Bodom Night
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #11 on: August 6, 2002, 11:17:01 PM »
Me being a blood angel player I say they are very vital tool in the army. I always have one or two, cuz speed is my style of play.

s i m a n o v: portfolio | deviant art

Offline LehmanRuss

• Has a Custom Title
  • Hey, you mess with the Bull, you get the Horns.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2002, 01:11:11 PM »
Awesome, I always take em.

I have one tornado with the basic Heavy Flamer and Heavy Bolter.  I just use it as a sneak attack Heavy Flamer, since I don't expect it to survive.  It does really well for that.

I want to get two Typhoons though, the twin linked missiles are REALLY nice and really long ranged, making good support speeders.
We've been run down every hill.  Chased up all the dead end streets.  But if you try to cut us out, you'll get a kick in the teeth!

There's only two ways this can end, and in both of them, you die.

[img]http://www.ultinomicon.com/images/ultbigbanner.jpg[/i

Offline chimera

• Whoa, this is the fourth time I died
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2002, 08:49:40 PM »
SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

My weakest gun, strength 4 blasts one out of the sky.heres how it went; 8 shots from the squad. 4 "1's", 3 "2's", 1 "6" on the rolls to hit.Dang.Roll to penatrate.6 again.Hmm... I see a pattern here.Roll on the glancing hit table.Can you guess what I rolled? ;D
Ich bin die Verkörperung des Todes!

Im waitng in my cold cell,
When the bell begins to chime,
Reflecting on my past life,
And it doesn't have much time.

Cause at five o'clock,
 they take me to the gallows oooooohhhh!
The sands of time,
for me, are running low!

Offline Fuegan

• Death to those who oppose us!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2002, 06:23:43 PM »
I collect space wolves and although i like landspeeders im sticking to a certain thing the space wolves said and that was that they like to fight with both feet securely on the ground so i put tracks on the landspeeder the thing is it is effected by difficult terrain.
over the white cliffs of Dover there is a lovely beach 300 meters below which can be reached in 3.2 seconds.

Ulthwe Strike force   wins:7    draws:0    loss:1

Wood Elves             wins:7    draws:1     loss:4

Chaos                     win:1     draws:0     loss:3

Please visit my site at www.craftworld.s5.c om

Offline Cloud runner (brother Ezekiel)

• "Deathwing will be remembered."
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2002, 03:17:36 AM »
SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

My weakest gun, strength 4 blasts one out of the sky.heres how it went; 8 shots from the squad. 4 "1's", 3 "2's", 1 "6" on the rolls to hit.Dang.Roll to penatrate.6 again.Hmm... I see a pattern here.Roll on the glancing hit table.Can you guess what I rolled? ;D

I guess you rolled a six. :P

But anyways. These guys ROCKS if used right. Especially in Ravenwing. think of it as an army of bikes and speeders. They all circle around the enemy, raining huge loads of fire upon the weak mass units. And mine usually come with a h. bolter and an assault cannon giving them quite a good punch. They also have great range with the h. bolters which if used right can hold those rapid fire weapons at bay. When they die they've usually taken most of the enemies out.
"Perhaps a favour. In honour of our dead, leave the suits the colour of
Deathwing. The deeds of our brothers should be remembered."

-brother Ezekiel to Brother captain Gabrielle