News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1700 pt. Beil Tan Armoured Co.  (Read 5636 times)

Offline nickthewise

• The Dice Abide
1700 pt. Beil Tan Armoured Co.
« on: January 16, 2002, 02:40:27 PM »
beil tan armoured co.
TROOPS
10xHowling Bansheet- 306
exarch w/ executioner- [37]
waveserpent w/ twin starcannons- [125]
10xFire Dragons- 324
exarch w/ firepike- [46]
10xStriking Scorpions-307
exarch w/ crushing blow- [38]
10xDire Avengers- 299
exarch w/ diresword, distract, defend- [66]
ELITE/HQ
8xStorm Guardians w/ haywire grenades, 2xfusion guns- 263
-warlock w/ enhance, witchblade, sp- [42]
-waveserpent w/ brightlances- [125]
Farseer w/ fortune, witchblade, sp- 76
HEAVY
1xfire prism- 115
TOTAL: 1690
Troops: 4
Elites: 1
HQ: 1
Heavy: 1
I would like to know how you guys think this army would do tactically wise- my main opponents will be marines, how it will score as far as composistion, and where should I put the extra 10 points?
Thanks for your help!
And nice new message boards!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1011506400 »

Cheantoa

Re: 1700 pt. Beil Tan Armoured Co.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2002, 02:47:48 PM »
erg... pretty nice... um, those fire dragons & storm guardians appear to have conflicting rolls, unless you are using Fire dragons as anti-armouredinfantry? could work.... that's a load of tanks... remember that against lascannons & such those serpents have a bad chance of dieing... (4 still to glance it...) but take a photo of the first dude you play againsts face when you uncover that...!! and send it to me.... I would love to see that... no real tactical advice... maybe you want to drop something & get holofields and spiritstones for some o those vehicles

(you have the time & cash to buy & convert all that stuff sheesh)

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2002, 03:02:48 PM »
... maybe you want to drop something & get holofields and spiritstones for some o those vehicles

I'm pretty new to 40K, but I've already learned the value of holofields and spirtstones.  Waveserpents with StarCannons can be deadly... that should be DEADLY, and it's worth the points to keep them on the battle field.
Over specialization builds in weakness.

Offline Stormsblade

• MyStomper
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2002, 03:08:39 PM »
Your main problem will be hiding all those serpents on the first turn incase you dont get it. Nothing sucks more than waveserpents sitting in the open that havent moved over 6". Ive lost 3 serpents on the first turn before and had to walk across the board :(

And if you play at a store or in a league where you dont get to set up the terrain, it is almost impossible to hide 4 serpents on a normal table. The tournement i just played in had 10 tables and there wasnt a single one that had enough terrain to hide more than 2 serpents.

Cheantoa

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2002, 03:43:30 PM »
the thing is, (assuming you arn't starting with your rear armour to him ??) ANYTHING can only ever glance on 4's at BEST. So every WS hit retains a 50 percent chance of not being effected. Even then, (preferably w/spiritstones & holofield) they only have a small chance of killing you... that's why I like the spirit stone & holofield combo, say they roll a glance, 2 dice: a 6 and a shaken. ghaha! they have to stick with the lower one! shaken! spirit stone - 4+ no more shaken... Yeah... Brutal...

Offline Chaos_Cow

• 1337 K0\/\/!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2002, 03:46:42 PM »
Time for me to do my stuff!

All right, you need a few changes. First of all, get nine Scorpions and have the Fortune Farseer accompany THEM. That way, your armor save works out to be BETTER than that of a Terminator! They'll mow down infantry like there's no tomorrow. Needless to say, you'll want another Storm Guardian.

The Howling Banshees are pretty much fine. I see nothing wrong with them.

Fire Dragons. They'll work all right, I suppose; however, if you want a TRUE tank-killing force, use an Elites slot and get Wraithguard instead. That'll take down any tank, and look dang cool while you're at it. And get that Warlock that you'll use a Singing Spear without a Shuriken pistol; for him, there's no real point. Mount 'em in a Wave Serpent, and you're good to go. Even if you do want to keep the Fire Dragons, get a Bright Lance instead of a Starcannon. It fits with their tank destroying role better.

For the Dire Avengers, make yourself able to pay for that Singing Spear by making that Diresword a regular Power Weapon. Direswords have no real use, as Dire Avengers aren't really meant to kill the big bad toughies.

Those Storm Guardians seem... pointless, especially if you get Wraithguard instead of Fire Dragons like I proposed. I never really liked Fire Dragons, anyway.

If you eliminate those Storm Guardians, then you can afford a Wraithlord, providing a nice, juicy target to keep your Wave Serpents from destruction in the first turn if you go second.

Cheantoa

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2002, 04:21:04 PM »
I'll have to disagree with you Cow. My interpretation was that the fire dragons, were actually being used as a anti-tough armoured infantry, while the haywire grenade Stormies were a tankkillin' force... I say leave the dragons   :)

Offline nickthewise

• The Dice Abide
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2002, 06:50:40 PM »
In my opinion, Fire Dragons can outperform Wraithguard anyday.  Against troops, Fire Dragons are far superior, they wound on a 2+, while Wraithguard wound on a 4+.  Against tanks, the Dragons are also superior- they can all shoot at it, and if for some reason they havent killed it (which is highly unlikely in a 10-man squad) they can assault it using melta bombs! Fire Dragons are much more versatile,  in this specific army, they are meant to take out tougher troops (like terminaters), and then, if there are an abundance of Tanks, help the Storm Squad out a bit and take out some tanks too.  

Offline TopDogma

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2002, 09:01:03 PM »
Wraithguard, like everything else in the craftworld, has its uses. Maybe not so much in this particulary army, since you can only put 5 + warlock in a wave serpent  :-/

Also,  you can't give a wave serpent holofields.  :( i guess its because forge world's gay holofield upgrade kit uses some of the pieces from their gay wave serpent upgrade kit. but i'd still give them spirit stones and maybe a ctm on that fire prism

Farseer of Fate

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2002, 12:06:52 PM »
i have to agree with everyone on the wrathguard, yeah they have good saves and yeah they can kill anything but in a specialized army they are way to expensive.  i hate having a set roll, when for less points you can improve the roll, also with no way to transport alot of them you really arent getting anything more than a target ;D  however i am in favor of there "bigger brothers."  Wrathlords are so cool, i wish they could move faster... 8)

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2002, 10:29:45 PM »
like everyone has said..either take the stormies or the drags...also i would consider replacing the fire prism with a wraithlord...the fire prism's BS of 3 means it hits only 50% of the time which is hardly accurate if you ask me...even though it has one tight      !!! also i assume when you say 10 Banshees/ exarch u mean 10 total banshees and not 11 with the exarch. hope this helps!
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

joe

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2002, 11:43:56 PM »
your missing the point. If you add a WL his army would not be AC!!

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
Re:1700 pt. Beil Tan Armoured Co.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2002, 10:12:32 PM »
hehehe sorry..i was kinda tired...
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Offline nickthewise

• The Dice Abide
Updated List
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2002, 10:40:35 PM »
beil tan armoured co.
10xHowling Bansheet- 306
exarch w/ executioner- [37]
waveserpent w/ brightlances- [125]
10xFire Dragons- 324
exarch w/ firepike- [46]
waveserpent w/ brightlances- [125]
9xStriking Scorpions-269
1xFarseer w/fortune, witchblade, shuriken pistol- 76
waveserpent w/ starcannons- [125]
10xFire Dragons- 324
exarch w/ firepike- [46]
waveserpent w/ starcannons- [125]
3xVyper w/ 3xStarcannons- 195
3xVyper w/ 3xStarcannons- 195
Total: 1689
This army is much more shooty orientated.  I added 2 squads of fire dragons to fulfill both taking out tanks, and to take out heavily armoured opponents.  The banshees and scorpions are in there for assault, and yes the farseer is accompanying the scorpions.
The Vypers are there to lay down supporting fire against Troops that would be able to take out the Waveserpents, i.e Heavy Weapon squads...
The main problem I see with this army, and its something Im not too happy about, is the low model count in the army, I only have 40 models but I kind of make up for it with 6 vypers, and 4 waveserpents...
Lemme know what you think.

-=Poueblo=-

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2002, 08:57:02 PM »
Do you have a plan to this army like sit back and shoot, or anything, your army looks good, anything tacticy?

Offline nickthewise

• The Dice Abide
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2002, 04:05:33 PM »
The brightlances on the waveserpents will take out any transports, and heavily armoured vehicles the enemy has. the Starcannons on the waveserpents and vypers will take out/soften up the enemy. The banshees and scorpions charge into the enemy (prefferably a squad that has taked a couple wounds from starcannon fire), while the Fire Dragons will shoot up more heavily armoured enemy vehicles and troops, and then will proceed to charge into combat and help out the scorpions and banshees, or get back into their waveserpents and claim some tablesquarters or what not.
The Vypers will remain in the back, as will most of the Transports after they drop off their passangers.