News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Alaiotic 2000pt General Army  (Read 1647 times)

Offline $ick

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Alaiotic 2000pt General Army
« on: May 3, 2005, 12:06:49 PM »
Hi everyone, just written up a new army list for an Alaitoc 2000pt army. I would greatly appreciate any feed back or criticisms of it.

HQ

Farseer 1 (Warlock body guard alocated to other squads) - Singing Spear, Shuriken Pistol, Ghosthelm,
Runes of Witnessing, Mind War

Farseer 2 With Warlock Bady Guard - Witchbalde, Shuriken Pistol, Ghosthelm,
Runes of Witnessing, Fortune

Warlock - Witch Blade, Shuriken Pistol, Embolden
Warlock - Witch Blade, Shuriken Pistol, Enhance
Warlock - Witch Blade, Shuriken Pistol

Troops

Rangers x 5

Rangers x 5        (These first 2 squads to not take up any troops spaces in the force orginisation chart)

Rangers x 5

Rangers x 5

Guardian Defenders x 12 - Starcannon
Warlock - Close Combat Weapon, Shuriken Pistol,
Conceal

Guardian Defenders x 12 - Starcannon
Warlock - Close Combat Weapon, Shuriken Pistol,
Conceal

Guardian Stormers x 9 - Mounted in a wave serpent
Warlock - Singin Spear, Shuriken Pistol, Enhance

Wave Serpent - Twin Linked Starcannons, Vectored Engines

Elites

Pathfinders x 5

Pathfinders x 5

Pathfinders x 5

Heavy Support

Wraithlord - Bright Lance

2005 pts

Well thats it, I think its an all round army without any major weaknesses. There is reason behind having a Farseer and 5 warlocks all tooled up, and that is that they are purely going to be used as a combat squad which excel in deamon hunting (and tank hunting for that matter!) I wouldn’t normally do this in an army, but I ran out of slots in my force organisation chart and I had some points left over. The lone farseer is there so I could have the warlocks in the other squads.

I know some are gona say that having three wraithlords is beardy, but what the hell, was is not about being fair or 'nice'.

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx for your time.

$ick
« Last Edit: May 3, 2005, 12:10:10 PM by $ick »

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
Re: Alaiotic 2000pt General Army
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2005, 04:51:39 PM »
Three wraithlords in a alaitoc army. Cheddar. I wouldn't play you.
Thats just wrong get some d-cannons or a falcon.

The_Outcast

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #2 on: May 3, 2005, 05:05:35 PM »
I agree.  Any army that isn't Iyanden that has more than 1 or 2 Wraithlords is just being an obnoxious powergaming army.  Drop one (preferably 2) Wraithlord(s) and replace it with War Walkers, a Facon, some support batteries, Dark Reaper, or anything that isn't a Wraithlord (or leave the slot(s) empty and get more units elsewhere).

To make up for that loss in CC abilities, you coul drop one unit of Pathfinders and throw in a 10-strong unit of Scorpions with grenades, an Exarch, Stealth, and a Claw.  Infiltrating Scoprions work very well in Alaitoc forces.  Conversely, you could go for more Stormies in a Serpent, or a unit of Banshees in a Serpent.

I assume the lone Farseer is deployed with the second one, forming an effective Seer Council?  I would however lose the Singing Spear on the model with Mind War.  You can't throw the spear and cast the power in the same turn, so one or the other is going to be wasted.  Also, you really don't need WBs on ALL your Warlocks, even if you are using it for Daemon/Tank-hunting.  Keep the WBs/Singing Spears for the Farseers, and use CCW instead on the Warlocks.  If you really need extra WBs, put them on some of the Warlocks, but not all.  Use the ones with CCWs as ablative armour for the others.  You'll save lots of points that way, points which can be used to buy more units.

Contrary to what you say, you haven't run out of places on the FOC.  You have 1 more Troops slot and 3 unused Fast Attack slots.  You might consider adding in some Fast Attack units.  Some Vypers, or skirmishing Jetbikes might not be amiss.  Deep-Striking Hawks might be a good addition too, and they fit quite well with the concept of a Ranger/Scout army.  Your army does have 1 major weakness as it stands; it's slow and/or static.  Lose that one Wave Serpent and you're stuck with a very immobile force.  A Falcon would be a very good investment, since not only can it zip around and shoot stuff, but it can also be used as a boat for any of your Ranger/Pathfinder squads, should they need to redeploy in a hurry.

Offline DJBtod

« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2005, 06:05:42 PM »
Heres my 2 cents (or 3 or 4 or 5  :P)

Drop singing spear on farseer 1, give him a wb and mount him on a jetbike

Add Jetbike to farseer 2

Drop all WB's on Warlocks, take only 3 warlocks on Jetbikes with Enhance, Embolden, and suicide warlock

What This Does-
It gives you a mobile CC Seer Council. Why do you want them on jet bikes? for the toughness//save bonus, and the mobility.
A walking Seer Council tooled for CC is a DEAD seer council.

Elites are good

Troops are OK. If it was me id drop the 2x Defender Squads, you alredy have enough fire power. Id probably buy another squad of CC Stormies, and use the other points for the Seer Council option above.

Heavy Support- Drop 2 of the wraithlords. Grab 3x Vypers with Bright Lances.

Thats what I'd do if I were you.

Just a Reminder- Use squads for what they are best at doing. For example, I find that Eldar Psychics are not the best at CC, they excel in support. Thats why I NEVER use them for CC. The points can be better spent on a CC unit, then you have a small CC unit AND the support Seers, which is far better than a tooled up council thats average at CC.

Hope it helps,
-Dan

Offline LiveFromHell

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #4 on: May 3, 2005, 06:30:38 PM »
  Im going to be rather frank here, so let me say no offense meant before I get started.

I wouldnt go so far as to say I wouldnt play you, but 3 wraithlords at 2k points is pushing it unless your fielding Iyanden.

I also wouldn't go so far as to say your list has no major weaknesses.  It has a very large, easily exploitable weakness.  It's slow as all hell.  It wouldnt be too hard to avoid all 3 wraithlords, since the majority of your long range firepower can't move and shoot.  If I wanted to use speed to exploit the fact that the vast majority of your army can only move 6 inches, if they can move and fire at all, I only need to destroy a single wave serpent to make sure the only real speed in your army is fleet of foot.  Right now, you'd have serious trouble with any mobile force I can think of...
  If I had to come up with an army list to help a Saim-Hann player build confidence this would probably be it.

Balance your heavy support with some mobile fire power.  Drop some guardians and add some Vyper's.  Field your mini seer council in a falcon or on jetbikes.

Offline GladeRider

« Reply #5 on: May 3, 2005, 08:30:24 PM »
yes 3 wriathlords are cheesy as hell ok ... take 1 or 2 at max throw in a gunboat (argueable one of the best vechiles in the game) id tell you to drop a sqaud of path finders ( before all of the other gung how alaitoc players tell me how great they are i already know) and put a squad of scorps infiltrarting and a power fist claw thing.

Offline Saddam

• Don't ask...
« Reply #6 on: May 3, 2005, 08:43:24 PM »
You can have a Farseer with a Singing Spear and a shurkien pistol? In the Eldar Codex it says you can't  :o :o :o Second Page of the CraftWorld Eldar Wargear section, Second row at the bottom, right beside the picture of the Fire Dragon  :P Ahhh good old faithful codex
Hey you, ya you over there, guess what you cannot do? You cannot bomb this! Na Na Na Na Na Na Na You Cannot bomb this!

Offline Moto Gaheris

• Do Ya Got any Mountain Dew?
« Reply #7 on: May 3, 2005, 10:37:20 PM »
What are the Vectored engines on the Wave Serpent  for really?  Other then taking up some valuable points.  Ive never equipped them and probably never will.  The Skimmer ignores terrain.
Shoot First, Shoot Last, Shoot a Little More.
   Ask questions later.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: May 3, 2005, 11:55:50 PM »
You can have a Farseer with a Singing Spear and a shurkien pistol? In the Eldar Codex it says you can't  :o :o :o Second Page of the CraftWorld Eldar Wargear section, Second row at the bottom, right beside the picture of the Fire Dragon  :P Ahhh good old faithful codex
Yes, good old trusty codex.  It's only trusty if you read it properly.  You can have a Farseer or Warlock equipped with a pistol and Singing Spear, but you do not count as double-armed in CC.  You may still have both though.  You can fire the pistol, and charge in using the Spear two-handed in CC, or you can throw the spear and weild the pistol as a single CCW in close combat.

Offline $ick

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2005, 03:21:12 AM »
Thanx for all your feedback guys, I'll re-draft the list and post it up when its done.

Oh, one question, since when could farseers be mounted on jetbikes, can someone tell me where I can find this information, as I've been out the game for a few years and I'm just getting back into it. Thanx.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2005, 03:22:25 AM by $ick »

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: May 4, 2005, 12:56:35 PM »
They've been able to get Jetbikes since the new codex came out as far as I know.  I've been playing since 3E and they've always had that option for as long as I can remember.