News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Autarch on Foot  (Read 3752 times)

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Autarch on Foot
« on: December 20, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
Hey everyone!  I've been fielding Eldar a lot instead of my Tau since 8th came out.  I'm really enjoying it but I'm hitting a roadblock on an autarch on foot.  I'm trying to figure out if the following equipment is legal for an Autarch on foot.

Reaper Launcher
Shuriken pistol
Shard of Anaris

Specifically, I'm wanting to not take the Star Glaive as the Shard is:
1) fewer points
2) better except against T6 enemies
3) the made to order finecast autarch that includes a reaper launcher has a power sword, not a glaive.

I'm having trouble with the Index options for Codex datasheets and figuring out if the Star Glaive can be removed.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Autarch on Foot
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 03:05:01 PM »
You're not removing the star glaive. You're just not taking it.

Essentially you take the base cost of the foot Autarch, then add the available weapons listed in the index as Autarch wargear options.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 03:11:31 PM »
Yeah, you can equip the Autarch using the Index Wargear options. This is explicitly allowed. You can then as per the Remnants of Glory rule replace a power sword with the Shard of Anaris.

When doing this, you use the Index wargear option but the Codex rules, prices, statline, etc. Make sure when using a model this way you bring your Index in addition to your Codex so that you have all the rules needed.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline bca11

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »
Are you saying the star glaive isn't mandatory?

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »

There are a few options that are missing in the codex that appear in the index: why is that? Does that mean I can’t use these models in my army anymore?
While the indexes are designed to cover a long history of miniatures, the codexes are designed to give you rules for the current Warhammer 40,000 range. There are a few options in the indexes for some Characters and vehicles that are no longer represented in the Citadel range – certain Dreadnought weapons that don’t come in the box, or some characters on bikes, for example.
Don’t worry though, you can still use all of these in your games if you have these older models. In these instances, use the datasheet from the index, and the most recent points published for that model and its weapons (currently, also in the index).
They still gain all the army wide-bonuses for things like Chapter Tactics and can use Space Marines Stratagems and the like, so such venerable heroes still fit right in with the rest of your army.

EDIT - The glaive is only mandatory if you're specifically taking the codex Autarch. GW have made a loop hole so that people can use their old models that aren't accounted for in the new codex. However, this also restricts some options.

EDIT2: There was also a designers commentary that was posted that gave a flow chart to explain this a bit more. It seems this PDf is no longer available?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:19:18 PM by Partninja »

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 04:49:34 AM »
Are you saying the star glaive isn't mandatory?
Per RAW, it is mandatory.

EDIT - The glaive is only mandatory if you're specifically taking the codex Autarch. GW have made a loop hole so that people can use their old models that aren't accounted for in the new codex. However, this also restricts some options.

This statement is incorrect. The flowchart explicitly states that you have to use the codex datasheet for a unit if such datasheet exists in the codex. So, for the HQ unit labelled "Autarch" you have to use the codex datasheet, there is no way around that. The only index datasheet that you can use purely from the Index is the "Autarch with Warp-jump generator", as such datasheet doesn't exist in the codex.

Next, the flowchart also states that you can still combine the codex datasheet with wargear options from the corresponding datasheet in the Index. However, star glaive is not an option - it's a built-in weapon and you can't just decide not to take it. You also can't have a shuriken pistol on the foot Autarch, for the same reason: it's not present in the codex datasheet, and in the index datasheet it's not an option.

But you can take a power sword from the "Wargear options" list in the Index and replace it with Shard of Anaris per standard codex rules for relics. You'll still have to pay for star glaive though.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:53:43 AM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 01:03:32 PM »
But the flow chart says "you can choose to use the index version for it's wargear options". If my model has a reaper launcher, power sword, and a banshee mask (the oop model) I don't need to pay for the glaive.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
Yeah I remain pretty sure the rules are designed such that if you have a previous autarch model you can use it WYSIWYG, which means no Star Glaive on models like this:

You use index wargear options, which means this one has a Reaper Launcher and Power Sword.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »
The issue is "wargear option" as a separate list to what the base model must come with. The index version has to take the pistol and grenades as base. The codex similarly has the glaive. These aren't technically "wargear options" as they are listed as what the model just has.

Again. GW could word things so much simpler..

Offline admironheart

• later
  • Armies: Eldar,Exodites,Harlequins.Squats,Dark Eldar&BA
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 11:55:31 PM »
very interesting....bet the flow chart did not think of that! lol

Anyways....an easy fix to that model is to glue a warp generator onto the back. That is what I did :)
"Battles are decided by slaughter and maneuver.  The greater the general, the more he contributes in manuever, the less he demands in slaughter"...Winston Churchill

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 06:48:51 AM »
Yeah I remain pretty sure the rules are designed such that if you have a previous autarch model you can use it WYSIWYG, which means no Star Glaive on models like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

You use index wargear options, which means this one has a Reaper Launcher and Power Sword.
As a matter of fact, I don't think it's entirely correct: I have the old model like the one in the picture and I'm pretty sure it comes with Wings - so technically it's not a model of foot Autarch, and as such, GW wouldn't have to support it WYSIWYG :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 12:20:24 PM »
I purchased the limited rereleased model. It comes with wings and the back banners. It also came with a shuriken pistol.

Offline kaldolaf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: January 2, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone.

I also bought that exact same Made to Order Autarch model and as Partninja stated, it does come with both wings and banners and both reaper launcher and shuriken pistol arms.

And this is what had me confused.  I agree that per the flow chart I only get to use the Index wargear options, which have no mention of replacing a star glaive, with the codex datasheet, which also does not present an option for replacing the star glaive.

But I am left with a model that does not have a star glaive and that I have no desire to put a star glaive on, which seems against the entire intent of the Index options for Codex units.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: January 2, 2018, 04:51:33 PM »
Kaldolaf.
Arm your Autarch with whatever weapon options you want from those provided in both the Index and Codex. Then pay the points for them.
That's it, nice and simple. The Flow Chart is basically saying "just go play with your toy soldiers how you want to!".