News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 points vs Death Guard  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Roy

• Infinity Circuit - Harbinger of the Dark Millenium
  • Ancient
1000 points vs Death Guard
« on: June 4, 2005, 01:07:16 PM »
I've got a game tomorrow, vs Death Guard.

I've taken into account the fact that his army will have T5, and most likely some plauge bearers, if not a Great Unclean One. (He always fields one in 1500+ battles).

My List:

Great Harlequin: Kiss, Plasma Pistol, Dread Mask, Domino Field. (To go with the 5 man squad in the venom)

Death Jester: Bright Lance

Harlequin Troupe: 7 Harlies, 2 w/ Plasma P & Kiss
Troupe Leader: Kiss, Neuro Disruptor, Powerblades, Dread Mask

Harlequin Troupe: 4 Harlies, 2 w/ Plasma P & Kiss
Troupe Leader: Kiss, Neuro Disruptor

Venom: Holofield

2 Wraithlords with D-cannons

What do you think?
Should I drop one of the Wraithlords in favour of more deathjesters? Bringing 2 smells of dairy products in a 1000 pts list?

Should I change anything?

Offline InfinityCircuit

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Useless, useless."--JWB
Re: 1000 points vs Death Guard
« Reply #1 on: June 4, 2005, 01:26:54 PM »
Last I checked, Death Guard are fearless so the Dread Mask seems like a waste.  The Neuro-disruptors are somewhat risky given that the Death Guard are likely to have a Ld of 9 or 10.  They are however a great way to get around the saves.

Overall the list looks good.  However, I might be tempted to try an infiltrating Mime squad with Kisses.  For many points less than a Trouper, they will get the same stats on the charge and can be a cheap way to take down some Death Guard.

If he takes a Predator, which he very well should, how do you plan to handle it?  Do you feel it is a low threat?

I wouldn't worry too much about the Great Unclean One--it may be hard to kill but it is also hard for it to kill things!

Are you using the Revision?

P.S. I don't like your formatting but that's just me ;)  I prefer to state the number of guys in the squad flat out, and then say 'including troupe leader' etc but it is your prerogative.

Offline Roy

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: June 4, 2005, 01:37:46 PM »
Quote from: InfinityCircuit
Last I checked, Death Guard are fearless so the Dread Mask seems like a waste.  The Neuro-disruptors are somewhat risky given that the Death Guard are likely to have a Ld of 9 or 10.  They are however a great way to get around the saves.

If they have Ld 9 or 10, i think I should spare myself the neurodisruptors, and go for more troupes with kisses, or DJ's I suppose.

Overall the list looks good.  However, I might be tempted to try an infiltrating Mime squad with Kisses.  For many points less than a Trouper, they will get the same stats on the charge and can be a cheap way to take down some Death Guard.

I'm using the CJ lists, and the mime update in CJ50 is useless as it stands, so the mimes function as full harlequins in my list, and cost as much.

If he takes a Predator, which he very well should, how do you plan to handle it?  Do you feel it is a low threat?

The list includes 2 Wraithlords with D-cannons, which the pradator can't hide from for long. It also has a DJ with a bright lance. For 1000 points I figured that would suffice. Keeping the DJ behind, and within 6" of one of the wraithlords should keep him safe, no?

I wouldn't worry too much about the Great Unclean One--it may be hard to kill but it is also hard for it to kill things!

I'm not at all sure he will. At any rate, the great unclean one is a points sink I'd be happy to face, Harlequins kisses will make short work of him.

Are you using the Revision?

Ahh, I wish. It's too soon yet. This is my second game with them, and I need to get my gaming club to agree the CJ list is too bent out of shape to work properly, and that the EO revision is far better. I'm expecting to hear cries of cheese when they see it though  :-\

P.S. I don't like your formatting but that's just me ;)  I prefer to state the number of guys in the squad flat out, and then say 'including troupe leader' etc but it is your prerogative.

I'm inclined to agree :P I will look better the next time, promise :)

Offline InfinityCircuit

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: June 4, 2005, 01:49:31 PM »
Distortion Cannons have quite a limited range, this really my only caveat. 

I do think the Neuro-disruptors should stay however as they will do a great job of killing Death Guard--the Flamer template will help a lot no matter what the enemy leadership.

good luck!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #4 on: June 4, 2005, 02:24:40 PM »
I think I would cut the masks and disruptors as well, and go for some more bodies, if possible. Blades on the GH would be nice too, as it would add an important chance to wounding.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Roy

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2005, 08:29:19 PM »
I had 2 disruptors in the mime squad, which was useless, as they had Ld 10.

Only the kisses really did any harm, and of course the wraithlord kicked ass. I had a 3 man jetbike squad, all with kisses, and the GH on a bike as well.

The whole game ended in a draw, with only his dread and my wraithlord left.

Man, Toughness 5 is horrible for harlies to handle.

Offline InfinityCircuit

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2005, 10:12:43 PM »
I completely agree.  Originally, Hit & Fade was meant to fix this but I think your being able to draw proves it would have been overpowered.

I think more Mimes with Kisses would have helped most, and perhaps a third Wraithlord.  ;)  Did the Venom do much?

Tell us if you play again!

Offline Roy

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2005, 05:21:04 AM »
Perhaps I should first tell yo uwhat Army I actually ended up with, eh? ;)

Great Harlequin:
Kiss, PP, PB, Jetbike, D-FIeld

Harlequin Jetbike Sqad: Joined by GH
2 Kisses, mimic w/ kiss

Troupe:
10 Harlies, 2 kisses & PP, Mimic with kiss, PP and PB.

Mimes:
5 Mimes, (full harlequin mimes), 2 Kisses, ND, mimic with kiss and ND & powerblades.

Harlequin Wraithlord w/ D-cannon

The troupe just got shot up and ran away,  only time I had any use for them was when the death guard charged the wraithlord, (silly). D-cannon didn't do anything, mimes, bikes and wraithlord did all the work.

I'll definatively play again, but it's kind of exhausting playing them, as you need to be in total control of events.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2005, 05:45:19 AM »
Did the Jetbike get anywhere, or did it get shot down in rather short order?

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Roy

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2005, 05:59:07 AM »
Did the Jetbike get anywhere, or did it get shot down in rather short order?

They helped the mimes wipe out an infiltrating squad, (we played rules of engagement). But the following turn, the Chaos Dred got fire frenzy, and two squads opened fire, killing the three bikes and taking a wound of my GH.

What gave me a draw this game was the death guard player not managing his objectives, and some tactical errors playing against harlequins. It was the first time he had played that kind of army. Death Guard are a very tough enemy for harlies. High Ld, fearless and high toughness makes them a very hard nail to crack, expecially when they outnumber you.

I should have gone with the second wraithlord.