News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Harlequin army using shiny new codex  (Read 3684 times)

Offline muffinman331

• Ork Boy
Harlequin army using shiny new codex
« on: March 4, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »
So a few months back, Games Workshop released the new Codex:Dark Eldar. I have never been a big fan of the dark kin, though I have played Eldar ever since getting my first starter box. I saw the new codex as a chance to do an army that I have been wanting to do for a long time. Harlequins!

When the book finally came out, I realized that many of the rules and units included just lent themselves to the harlequin playstyle. I had built a few Harlequin lists using Codex:Eldar, but none of them excited me enough to actually go through with it.

But that all changed with the new DE codex. I got so pumped that I went and bought up all of the old models I could find from anyone in my local gaming group (a very good resource, considering how many people play here). My brand new Harlequin army is now nearing completion. I have about 11 more models to paint plus some objective markers. unless something really bad happens, I will be playing this army at Adepticon 2011.

Here is the list I will be running:

Solitaire - (Archon with huskblade/soul trap, shadowfield, drugs, blast pistol)
High Warlock Comidus - (Haemonculus with WWP, venom blade, crucible)
High Warlock Tragidus - (Haemonculus with WWP, venom blade)

6 mimes and master mime (Incubi with Klaivex - demiklaive)
7 harlequins (harlequins with kisses, 2 fusion pistols, shadowseer)
4 Death Jesters (Trueborn with blasters)
             Venom Transport (Venom with extra cannon)

10 Initiates w/ Harlequin leader (wyches with character w/ blaster, haywire grenades)
15 initiates (razorflails, leader w/agonizer/blast pistol, haywires)
15 initiates (shardnets, leader w/agonizer/blast pistol, haywires)

6 Harlequin jetbikes (Reavers with heat lances, cluster caltrops)

Marionette/wraithlord (Cronos parasite with vortex and siphon)

I am still working on renaming things, and don't have room to put all of that on here. basically I spent the last 4 or 5 months going through and coming up with better harlequin names for wargear, units and upgrades.

comments are welcome for the list, but mostly just wanted to post something to help out anyone who wants to build harlequins but doesn't like the builds available in Codex:Eldar.

the lists is a pretty fun one to use. start the game with the venom (with shadowseer in it) and harlequins (with the other shadowseer). turn 1, the venom shoots up and drops off the cheap shadowseer, who drops the portal. he will likely die, but he did his job at this point. using pitched battle deployment you get:
12 inches from your table edge for deployment
12 inches for movement
2-3 inches for disembarking/width of infantry base
3 inches for width of portal
6 inch movement for a squad coming out of portal Turn 2
1 inch minimum run
6 inch assault
== 42 inches! or assaults against anything > 6 inches from the opponents table edge, better if you roll > 1 for fleet

second shadowseer drops a portal on turn 2, a little past the midpoint of the table.

everything else comes in where you want it. very close combat oriented, but the portals are a much safer delivery system than a raider. venom and harlequins keep your portal caddies safe if you don't get turn 1

I am starting a blog to show progress with this army, along with all of the conversions/painting/etc. pm me if you want more info, I will also be putting a link in my sig, since I can't give a link in my post :)
"Shoot da killy wuns, kill da shooty wuns." – Orkimedes, Ork tactician.

http://webway40k.blogspot.com/ - Harlequin Blog

Offline Torg_OR

Re: Harlequin army using shiny new codex
« Reply #1 on: May 2, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »
Seems like a dead thread - but really kinda interested in finding out this idea worked out - or not. I have been thinking really hard about converting my current CW Harlequin army over to DE codex.

-d

Offline fortytwo

Re: Harlequin army using shiny new codex
« Reply #2 on: September 3, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »
New here, hoping to get some more input on the subject matter. I have yet to read the DE Codex carefully but there seem to be some potential while there still being huge drawbacks.

Solitaire - In large games I really feel this role should be played by none other than Lelith Hesperax. Especially her A League Apart seems befitting the role. Also, the special rules from her weapons could easily be claimed to come from the suit instead and blame the ignores armour saves on the weapons.

Troupe Master - I would like to use a Succubus for this role since I dislike the armour of the Archon. But the option for the Archon to bring a Webway-portal into play is undoubtedly tempting.

Shadowseer/High Warlock - Haemonculi, now the support role is there though I miss the Psychic Powers. Miss them badly in fact. The Archangel of Pain item could be fitting for the role I think.

Mimes - Wytches, nothing else to say really...

Harlequins - Well, Harlequins, simple.

Jetbikes - Reavers ofc.

Venoms starring, you got it, Venoms.

Death Jesters - Kabalite Trueborn, unit/units (most probably topped at one unit to fit them Harlequins in, they are kinda important for the list...) of three, two of whom should wielding Dark Lances. Now, I know the armour is a bit of a problem here again, but it is the most fitting choice really. The third would then be wielding a Shredder.

I guess you could fit a Cronos or Talos in as some sort of smaller Wraith-lord-ish thingy. (although that could be to stretch things a bit to far)

Now, I have no idea how an army such as this could hope to fare in a game and it's still a bit lacking in rules but I do think the basics are about as right as we'll ever see them while using official rules. Please, give your thoughts on the matter.