News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Odin's Eye: Orks Vs. Adeptus Mechanicus: 1250 points, The Relic  (Read 905 times)

Offline Uncle Tungsten

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!

This battle report details the final fight in the first arc between the Orks and Adeptus Mechanicus on Orthos IV. 
ORK FORCES

Bad Moon Batallion
HQ
     Warboss with Kustom Shoota, Attack Squig, Da Killa Klaw Relic;   Brutal but Kunnin’ WT
     Big Mek with Kustom Force Field
Troops
     25 Shoota Boyz w/ Boss Nob w/ Big Choppa
     25 Shoota Boyz w/ Boss Nob w/ Big Choppa
     20 Shoota Boyz w/ Boss Nob w/ Big Choppa
Elite
     15 Tankbustas
     5 Meganobz (4 w/ Power Klaw & Kustom Shoota, 1 w/ Dual Killsaws)
Heavy Support
     2 Smasha Guns
     2 Smasha Guns
     2 Smasha Guns

Snakebites Battalion
HQ
     Weirdboy (Warphead) w/ Da Jump & Fists of Gork)
     Weirdboy w/ Warpath

Troops
     10 Grots
     10 Grots
     10 Grots

ADEPTUS MECHANICUS FORCES

Mars Batallion 
HQ
     Belisarius Cawl
     Tech Priest Enginseer with Autocaduceus of Arkhan Land Relic
Troops
     10 Skitarii Vanguard
     5 Skitarii Vanguard
     5 Skitarii Vanguard
Elites
     5 Sicarian Infiltrators with taser goads and flechette blasters
Heavy Support
     Onager Dunecrawler with Eradication Ray and Broad Spectrum Data Tether
     Onager Dunecrawler with Eradication Ray and Broad Spectrum Data Tether
2 Kastelan Robots with triple heavy phosphor blasters

Stygies VIII Batallion

HQ
     Tech Priest Dominus with volkite blaster and Phosphoenix relic; Xenarite Studies WT
     Tech Priest Enginseer
Troops
     5 Skitarii Rangers with 2 Arc Rifles
     5 Skitarii Rangers with 2 Arc Rifles
     5 Skitarii Rangers

Patrol Detachment: Elucidian Starstriders
HQ
     Elucia Vhane
Troops
     Nitsch’s Squad (Nitsch, Aximillion, 4 Voidsmen, 1 with rotor cannon)
Elites
     Knosso Prond
     Larsen van der Grauss
Auxiliary Support Detachment: Officio Assassinorum
     Eversor Assassin

Battlefield Layout and Deployment

The battlefield centered around an old imperial shrine surrounded by  ruins with a small forest to the northwest.  We take turns deploying, both armies setting aside forces for deep strike.  Surprisingly, the Orks finish deploying before the Mechanicus.  The skitarii forces look dangerously overextended, and I’ve resigned myself to getting hit hard on one or both flanks.

The thin red line
Ork artillery

Round One

Cawl invokes the Canticle of the Omnissiah’s shroudpsalm as the Orks begin their advance; Mechanicus forces hunker down for what promises to be a punishing first round.  There’s a howl of waaaagh energy being harnassed, the warp fabric tears, and the tankbustas Jump into the ruins near the Cathedral. Wasting no time, they praise Gork, pass the ammunition, and a barrage of rokkits screams from the ruins towards the Kastelans.  Over the din and roar, the words “MOAR DAKKA!” can be heard. 

The two robots’ repulsor grids struggle to withstand the blistering attack but fail; one explodes in a shower of sparks and shrapnel while the second remains standing, barely, despite critical damage. One errant rokkin reflects back into the ruins, blasting a tankbusta into oblivion.  His buddies take a moment to mark his suitably Orky passing with some appreciative grunts and rhythmic wind breaking.  They then decide to Show Off, blasting the second robot into scrap.  Figuring they're on a roll, they attempt to drop one of the dunecrawlers as well, but miss.

Proper mental

One of the mobs of boyz opens fire on the western squad of vanguard, but their shoota shells patter harmlessly off the rad troopers’ armor; the skitarii make something like nine armor saves.  A second mob adds to the fusillade and manages to drop a single skitarii.  The smasha guns boom from the Orks’ backfield, and one manages to squash three rangers.  Two others miss.

The meganobz deep strike and attempt to charge the foremost dunecrawler but fail, even with their ‘Ere We Go reroll.  As the green tide presses forward, a squad of boyz makes for the relic.

Mechanicus forces respond. Cawl marshalls his forces and pages reinforcements.  The infiltrators deploy towards the mob of boyz heading for the relic and the Starstriders deep strike into my backfield.  I had a tough time deciding where to place them and had some sort of vague plan of using them to shore up my western flank.  The vanguard and rangers advance on the eastern flank to take out the tankbustas, meganobz, and rear Ork artillery.

The rangers and vanguard open fire on the tankbustas, wiping them out except for one dead 'ard lad who sticks around due to keepin' order.  They also pour fire into the meganobz, dropping several.  The Styiges dominus adds his considerable arsenal, combining his studies of xenos biology with fiery, screaming phosphex to optimum effect.  Two nobz survive, and the enginseer does what he seems to do most games, which is charge them and die trying to stall them.

On the western front, the infiltrators pepper the advancing boyz with flechette rounds and succeed in their charge, wiping out most of the squad while still sustaining heavy casualties.

Turn Two

The boyz move forward and claim the relic, and my opponent plays the Green Tide strategem, and a mob of boyz appears on the western flank.  Or was that eastern? I can't remember. Whatever the case, Ork forces threaten both flanks in a classic pincer attack.  Over the course of both turns, they laugh off shots from the Starstriders, swarm forward, and pound Knosso Prond into paste, along with several other starstriders.  I think Elucia and Larsen escape. Things go a little better on the eastern side of the board, as the Boyz unload on the Stygies Dominus, fail to drop him, and then fail their charge as well.

At some point, an unmarked personal drop pod makes its entry near the front lines.  The eversor comes online.

Mechanicus forces direct focused fire on the mob of boyz carrying the relic.  The vanguard nearest to Cawl download protector doctrines and invoke the Wrath of Mars, carefully calibrating the levels on their radium carbines for optimum greenskin dosage.  With the Lord of Mars nearby providing them with a to hit reroll, they inflict fourteen kills on the boyz carrying the relic.  Then, as the radium buckshot flies, there’s a loud, high-pitched disturbing whine as the eversor emerges from its smoking drop pod; it hits the Frenzon IV drip, unloads on the boyz with its executioner pistol, exhibits MAXIMUM EFFORT, charges, and  proceeds to tear numerous superfluous orifices into the boyz during close combat.  One assumes that it has enough sense to take the relic into its possession while partaking in wholesale slaughter.

Before and After

At the top of round three, as per usual, we ran out of time as the store closed for the night. With time up, the relic is in mechanicus hands, but both forces arguably still have a chance to make a go at it.  With the ork warboss and weirdboy, along with some buddies, close by the Eversor, they stand a good chance of smiting the assassin into oblivion and claiming the relic. The mechanicus armored core of dunecrawlers, headquarters, and infantry also remain, however, and could advance and make a play as well.  We decide to call it a draw of sorts.  I like to think that the Eversor saw the Ork warboss, just couldn't help itself, went for the kill, and upon death did its bio-meltdown thing, either completely or partially destroying the relic.  Cawl may have been able to retrieve partial data scans or optics of the relic: enough to further their search on Orthos IV.

At any rate, that was game.  We had a good time of it, and we're looking forward to the next arc of the campaign.

+++Game images to come.+++
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 08:50:03 AM by Uncle Tungsten »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Odin's Eye: Orks Vs. Adeptus Mechanicus: 1250 points, The Relic
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:42:11 PM »
Thanks for the report!

What did you think of the Rogue Trader and her men?

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 08:26:40 PM »
Thanks for the write up Tungsten, you put a couple of funny zingers in there.  This game had the feel of a back and forth slog to gain control of the relic would it have gone on to the end.

Trying out the Meganobz was fun but with a small number they don't throw out a lot of dakka.  And if they fail their charge can go down quick, so not quite worth their points.

Regardless, this set the stage for the next stage of the Orthos campaign.  Will the Orks find the Ad Mech's landing site and take their stuff or will the Ad Mech track down the heretical technology buried on Orthos?  Only time and 3 battle will tell.

Offline Uncle Tungsten

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:46:36 PM »
Thanks for the report!

What did you think of the Rogue Trader and her men?

Hey, Wyddr! A little early to tell. All they really did this game was manage to get krumped in spectacular fashion; most people online say they're like a squad of guardsmen with some extra resilience. Larsen Van Der Gras, the electro maestro, has a neat little stratagem that allows him to teleport during the movement phase, and Elucia has a few ways to dish out mortal wounds. That, and they have a dog. I'll run them the next few games and see how they do.