News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Demon  (Read 14090 times)

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
Intermission VXIIX
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2008, 02:12:38 AM »
Intermission VXIIX

First off let me apologize for this last debacle of a posting. Apparently 40k went into mainteance about two seconds after I’d posted the first part, mother beslubberers, but  that’s all water under the bridge so no biggy really.

More importantly with this chapter I have just passed 100 pages and I’m still not done! Considering this historical revelation I feel an (slightly) extended Intermission is in order.

First off let’s start with the characters.

Mathias: Insurgent/Renegade bad ass. He was inspired by the Chechen mujahedeen (Russians will know [that’s also not to say he follows their doctrines {I should point out I don’t agree with their doctrines Beslan anybody}]). His gray free floating orb pays homage to Kane from that one Eidos game we all know (and I love).  Besides that I wanted to draw a connection between Mathias’ or rather Halleck as he was once known and Odin the Norse God. In both cases they gave up something precious in exchange for knowledge, Odin his eye to Mimir, Mathias (while unwillingly) his past life. In exchange both were blessed/cursed with knowledge of what had transpired and what was to transpire. In Odin’s case this was ragnarok, in Mathias the awakening of the Necrons.

When I first started writing the story I thought to myself why should there be a good side and bad side. Why should it even be bad but good at heart vs. evil? Why couldn’t it be evil vs. evil?  Why not evil vs. evil vs. evil? When I thought of Mathias I wanted someone cruel, cunning, utterly merciless, and without heart but still likeable (not sure how well I did this). To that effect I started him off as a hidden entity, the source of bombings and wars and shady backstabbing deals. Forgive me for this overused word but I wanted to make Mathias out as a terrorist. Of course decades before he’d ever even contemplated overthrowing the government he was the head of a brutal secret police force that killed thousands, as was the rest of his crew.

His weapons are scythe and pistol.  I suppose the scythe kind of jumps out at you right away because well it’s the embodiment of death or rather the weapon of choice of that hellish phantom. While the scythe does represent death and its wielder there was another purpose which was to overshadow his thigh strapped pistol.  The first time we meet Mathias he is in turn meeting with Sinead and upon his thigh is a silenced pistol. The second he carries none at all or clothing for that matter. (Which I’ll come back to later) Later during a meet with Siloden (Important people with S as the starting letter) and then again on the Chaste he has his pistol but it is not silenced. I was hoping the reader might infer the change not only in his tactics (quick and quiet to loud and nasty if I may quote Marv) but in his mindset as well.

Clothing. Mathias has (so far) been garbed in three different styles: Naked, half-dressed, and clad in his jet-black military fatigues. Him being naked in the beginning of his story (the escape not the pendant) represents his vulnerability and his relative babe in the woods mentality. Jump forward a few decades and you see him appear before his enemies, breast bared to the winds proud of his every hard-won scar. Ah, the belligerence of relative youth.  Decades later he utilizes the vulnerability of nudity to deceive and gain trust with a chapter of space marines. Soon afterwards he dons for the first time (in story) his fatigues which are digitalized in different shades of black (truthfully I think I only mentioned that once early on if I did at all but all of their fatigues are digital unless otherwise stated). Fatigues conceal and Mathias had a lot to hide. Out with his brashness and in with cold manipulability. (of course backstabbing was already a part of his repertoire)

There is more of course on our (I say ‘our’ assuming that Vrykolakas isn’t the only one who reads this story regularity) devilish man but I’ll leave that till next time.

The Unknown Daemon:  Whom Mathias meets upon walking through that blue door. His first words ‘Hello and Welcome to Hell’ is a modification of the line ‘Marines, Welcome To Hell’ from the game Shellshock Nam 67 (I liked it damnit). The daemon emits acidic green smoke from the pores in his body and is weaved into a chain link fence. What could this possibly mean you exclaim! (If you don’t that’s ok). Well for starters the fence represents entrapment (or perhaps binding!).  Originally I thought to hold the daemon with barbed or concertina wire inspired (odd word ain’t it?) as I was by the cover of Eli Wiesel’s ‘Night’ however I didn’t want to suffocate the daemon’s unusual persona with undue holocaustic imagery (instead I carried that over to the hanging bodies in the right hallway). So I decided I’d use a chain link fence the likes of which you can see surrounding every prison. Thus I still had him snared but not so fully that he was melancholic. He’s weaved into the fence for several reasons (besides grotesqueness). First and foremost is to establish that the daemon’s been around for so long that’s he’s actually becoming a part of the place, as though his psyche was imprinted upon his surroundings. I’d hoped his schizophrenic mood-swings of doom-and martini loving joy might help reinforce this. After all stay in one place too long you might go insane.

The acidic green clouds, hmm. The corrosion, erosion, decay and perhaps corruption of all that is good within all who tread these grounds, Catherine didn’t learn her sado-masochistic tendencies through her loving Lord that’s for sure. How does a daemon overcome years of indoctrination? With time.  

Enough characters. For now a few tributes, homage’s, and inspirations
The blue doors in the basement of the school? Silent Hill 3.

The sigil? Owed to one and the same but is a direct representation of the sigil of Lucifuge Rofocale, a demon in Catholicism.
   Lucifuge’s short-lived rebellion was inspired by none other than The War in Heaven (not 40k) which for him is still ongoing.             The opening assault upon Irminsul was inspired by the opening assault by Spike on the Red Dragons. 

The time and character (psyche) leaping nature of the story is owed to Quentin Tarantino and Bruce Joel Rubin.
Music is injected into the storyline because damnit books need soundtracks too. Later I’m going figure out how I can fit ambient music in, I’ve been considering figuring out a way so that readers can listen to the music while they read, maybe through a streaming link or something. I’m still working on this concept but with any luck I’ll figure out how to do it sometime soon.  When the story ends it will have closing credits and a theme song!
Finally remember that Critiques are still very, very welcome!

Add-on #1 Flora Fauna

The Black Grass and The Corsent Trees: The first a deceptively spindly weed that encroaches upon and threatens to overcome all life (sound familiar?). Given free reign due to the nuclear war back in the 50’s (M41.956). Without giving everything away the rampant black grass is a parallel to the darker mentalities that have supplanted the kinder, gentler mindset prevalent pre-nuclear holocaust.

A mutated monstrosity that secretes toxic fumes, similar to our whiskey loving demon, no? If I may steal from our friend Gravemind, the trees are a monument to all their sins.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:24:22 PM by bluewpc »
War. War is your trade is it not?

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline 666_Mutley_666

• Mass debating - a filthy group habbit!
Re: The Demon
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2008, 04:58:09 AM »
man thats taken along tim for me to read, i forgot to read a chapter and then you post half a dozen pages in one go lol, very very good so far,definatly like the way you left the last chapter, about the chapter 'The Sullen Soldier' i dont think that it needs to be changed, i see why you put it in and it wasn't to over the top so i dont particularry feel it would be a problem,
great work looking forward to the next chapter, i hope its about the eldar guy hes kool :)
oink is a nancy!

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments Vrykolakas. Also thanks to everyone who've given their thoughts and encouragements (not just in this story but in all) they've helped motivate me to keep up with writing!  :-*Mushy amphetamine parrot out of the way.

Alas the Eldar will not be present for a short while.  :'(

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline Ruukil

• lemons are only sour when you eat them.
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2008, 05:47:06 PM »
dude this is turning into a short book...you should publish this.
Quote from: KOTOR
Ruukil:Are you the herald of prophecy?The beacon to guild us through the darkness? or are you merely another harbinger of shattered dreams and unfulfilled promises?
Carth:Be careful, this one might be crazy enough to be dangerous.
Ruukil:Speak to me up-worlder!Tell me what fate you unleash upon us- salvation or damnation!Speak,up-worlder- I beg you!
Asmman:What the beslubber are you talking about!?!
Ruukil:a question.yur' uncertain.bewildere d.perplexed.underst andable...

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
@Ruukil: Well I'm flattered you think so and in truth I've been thinking of sending GW a copy once I've finished but I don't think they'll publish something like this. At least not without some major editing. A squad of marines killed in less than five seconds? No way. A craftworld destroyed by humans? Not a chance! A human being with the power of a Necron Lord? Maybe, wishy washy but you never know with them. More to that the stories set outside the time frame (M42.007). No true main character. The closest thing to a main character being a sociopathic rape victim? I don't know its a long shot but you know what I'll give it a try once I've finished. 

Hey if it does happen I'll send you an autographed book  ;D

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline 666_Mutley_666

« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2008, 01:16:20 AM »

Hey if it does happen I'll send you an autographed book  ;D

HEY i want one as well :)
oink is a nancy!

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
The Session 1 of 2 Part I
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2008, 01:22:30 AM »
@vrykolakas- how could I forget my biggest my fan?
@everyone else= A little two-part special hope you enjoy
edit- I forgot to give a warning this particular chapter, very violent and a lot of sexually related themes.

The Session Part 1 Of 2

The room was a small affair, worn and unassuming. Glaring light was cast by a bulb that dangled a foot from the ceiling by a thin wire. The bulb illuminated the room fully allowing no miserable detail to go unseen. Below the floor was constructed from tiles which sported a dark green background and upon which was painted diamond designs. Here and there splotches of dried blood covered those once majestic designs with sickly circular patterns. In some places the ground beneath had caved in collapsing the tiles and forming potholes which subsequently filled with foul-smelling water. Hidden by the intense light was the origin of that fetid water which dripped continuously through cracks in between the wooden ceiling from rusted pipes which snaked beyond the room’s realm to places unknown. The wallpaper which had been set many years before had faded into a putrid perversion of its former vibrancy and its peeling surface revealed the decaying plaster underneath. Ochre colored mold covered much of the exposed plaster and their sick physicality excreted pus like liquid which added to the conglomeration of gross substances below. 

Allowing access into the room was a cast iron door that hung loosely from its rusted hinges. Six inches from the door at head height was a small shattered window that allowed observation into the narrow metal tunnel beyond. Spanning the width of the adjacent wall was a blackboard. The totality of its surface was covered in a single repeating phrase, one line under another which read: I WILL NOT RAPE PREPUBESCENT GIRLS.  Up against the opposite wall was a table new but rough and unfinished. Its light tan surface was dry and covered with slivers of wood waiting to be removed.

There Catherine lay face down held immobile by strong hands that gripped her shoulders bare shoulders. She wore nothing save for several hard-earned layers of grime, dirt, and blood.  Her arms were outstretched, her hands crushed between the table and the wall. Her eyes were squeezed shut and her teeth were grit, had she been able her hands would have been clenched in fists. Blood ran down the length of her legs and dripped off the tips of her toes to the floor below. Her back rose and fell rapidly in time with her ragged gasps for breath.   

Suddenly the pressure which had held her down for so long eased, just before tracing down the length of her back and beyond. Catherine cringed at the touch.

“Was that as good for you as it was for me?” Lucifuge whispered humorously into her ear.

Catherine opened her eyes to look upon the demon’s terrible visage. He wore a satisfied smile below pure black eyes partially hidden by smooth black hair. His skin was as she’d remembered; torn and tattered revealing the facial muscles beneath. Though she’d lost her voice several hours ago she managed to gather up some saliva and spit in the grinning face. Catherine watched the muscles beneath the skin twitch upon impact and then reform into a snarl. She let loose a short yell as Lucifuge grabbed her by the back of her head and slammed her face into the table shattering it.

‹•›

“No!”

Catherine awoke with a start from the nightmarish memory. Her eyes darted frantically to and fro before she realized she was in familiar surroundings and it had all been a dream. She was leaning against her pack which was propped up against the ferrocrete wall of a tunnel that had been dug through a hill. Its confines were short and from where she sat she could see the entrance as well as the exit. Above her a arced ceiling made from plasteel kept the place from collapsing. Halfway through the tunnel was a door whose only evidence of presence was a silvery doorknob that jutted out from the walls. The icy concrete floor did not connect to anything on either side, no roads to or from led to the place. Using her peripheral vision she gazed outside the close end of the tunnel. Outside snow was falling fast and already it was piled a foot high. Though she was wearing a tight knit sweater over her fatigues and wrapped in a blanket Catherine shivered.

“amphetamine parrot.” She muttered as she readjusted herself against her pack. A soft mist accompanied the curse and Catherine realized how cold she was.  She pulled the blanket closer with a degree of difficulty that alerted her to the numbness in her fingers.  Temporarily casting off her blanket she turned to grab her pack.

As she rummaged a voice deep and scarred spoke. “How long are you going to stay here?”

Catherine stopped in her search and stared blankly inside her pack. Called a Sally pack it was large yet not unwieldy. Stuffed within its confines were all manners of survival gear. A Poncho, a flashlight, batteries, a woolen cap to name a few, and somewhere buried a pair of leather gloves with which to warm her hands.

“I’m not sure.” She replied and returned to her hunt.

“Do you remember the legend of Horus and the Emperor?” The voice inquired.

“Of course I do. Everyone knows that. Why would you even ask?” She gibed.

“It seems to me that you’ve forgotten much over your time here. Since however you remember this one facet of your learning enlighten me, what was it that the Emperor did when battling his son?” The voice asked.

Catherine ignored the accusation in the voice and then spat, “He hesitated.”

“Correct. He hesitated, he held himself back, he simply didn’t do the best he could and look what happened to him. He was like a God, girl, imagine what might happen to you.”

Catherine sat on her knees listening as the voice spoke. When its cautionary statement finished she remained silent regarding the tiny leather gloves she held in her hand.  Suddenly a great wind blew through the tunnel carrying with it flurries of snow. Catherine shook as the wind past and quickly slipped on her gloves.

“It’s a shame you want you to stay here.” The voice chided. “You always were my favorite.”

Catherine’s ears perked at this and she turned to regard the voice but there was no one else in the tunnel. Her eyes traced back and forth across the tunnels searching for the speaker but none was there. As she looked a second gust of wind far fiercer than the last    knocked her over her pack and scooped up the blanket she’d been using and depositing it farther down the tunnel.  With a disgruntled sigh she took hold of her pack and dragged it along as she went to retrieve the blanket. She found it lying on the ground a few feet from the tunnel doorway. She didn’t deign to even acknowledge the presence as she rewrapped the blanket around herself and lay against her pack.

For the first hour she stayed in that spot she tried her best to insulate herself from the cold winds by throwing on more and more layers of clothing. Eventually after she’d donned the last of her clothes she emptied her pack and climbed in. There she waited for the voice to return. One hour turned to two, two to three, and three to four. By the fourth hour she had become numb from head to toe despite her heavy attire. It must be below zero, she thought to herself before drifting off into sleep.

‹•›

With a mechanical whir followed by a grating screech the caged elevator began to descend through the fiery lit shaft. Catherine was forced to grip the cage’s walls with her hands for support as several times the elevator dropped or lurched unexpectedly. With every drop her blouse and trousers would flare up and her bare feet would press hard against the wire floor.

The elevator did not conform to the dimensions of the shaft and such there was much space in between the descending cage and the walls of the shaft. The walls of the shaft glowed as if great fires burned from within. On one side she could make out a narrow ladder that ran the length of the shaft. Climbing it was a monster. Jutting from the creature’s discolored hands were nine lengthy fingers which held far too many phalanges. Its inverted legs made its climb difficult but did not seem to deter it. The creatures face was featureless save an open wound like a slit from which blood seeped out. Despite its lack of eyes the creature regarded her ravenously.

As the elevator passed the creature it held out one of its hands to her wantonly. Cautiously Catherine backed away from the wiry walls. Much to her relief once the cage had descended past the creature withdrew its hand and continued its ascent. Farther down the shaft Catherine began to hear great wails of sorrow. Moving to the cage’s walls again she looked down and spotted two openings one beneath the other. From up high Catherine couldn’t see much of the interiors of these openings but she could tell that their berths were wide able to accompany a Rhino. As she descended further, more details were revealed to her attended with yet more howls of pain. The floor of the first was seemingly constructed out of flesh colored tiles. As the elevator passed parallel to the cavity Catherine spotted a woman naked and bound to a broad steel door. She screamed in an inhuman voice terrible words which held no meaning to the young girl.

“Who are you?” Catherine shouted.

The woman stopped her endless tirade long enough to regard Catherine with her sutured eyes. The woman opened her mouth to speak again but just as she did her body distended forwards and then shot back through the steel doors tearing a gaping hole in the thick steel door. Catherine watched in shell shocked horror as massive amounts of blood flooded through the hole. Then the sight disappeared as the cage traversed past the cavities limits. Though the opening was out of sight sickly blood fell from the openings ledge in front of the cage and Catherine gagged at its smell.

The second cavity held no consolation either. Just as wide as the first its confines were filled with a multitude of people of varying races all of whom had too her eyes been…violated in the extreme. One woman was from two wires that had pierced her nipples. A man in a corner had his mouth and anus sewn shut. Beside him crawling across the blood streaked floor was another man whose eye sockets belched ashen smoke. There in the center of the room was a long haired woman straddling a giant blood stained razor. With her bare hands she took hold the sides of the razor and pulled, inching her way forward. She moaned in exquisite ecstasy as blood spilled from between her legs as the razor carved its way deeper into her body. All around the base of the giant razor men and women licked at the blood that dripped down the sides.

Not too soon the cage passed the second opening. Catherine breathed a sigh of relief which turned to a violent wail as the elevator lurched and began to freefall.  Faster and faster the cage descended. Wind rushed up and over Catherine’s prone form as she held on for dear life. Suddenly the deafening sound of metal against metal filled the room as two beams shot out from underneath the elevator and struck the walls. The beams robbed the elevator of its speed and with a sudden lurch the elevator came to a halt. Catherine looked up to see one of the caged walls fall to the ground in front of a well polished door.

Not wanting to stay in the elevator any longer she exited hurriedly and walked up to the door. She pushed against its frame and it gave way easily. Looking back at the cage one last time Catherine entered.

‹•›

She awoke hours later still inside the pack and barely able to move.  She strained her ears to listen for the voice but no sound reached her save the howling of the wind. She tried to uncurl herself from within the pack to find her limbs had nearly been frozen in place. With a grunt of effort she forced her arms upwards and out of the pack. With frozen fingers she tried to claw her way out but her yellowish fingers wouldn’t respond. Instead she was forced to use the sides of her hands and drag her way forward. Had her body not been numb she would have cried out in pain or at least gnashed her teeth but since feeling was not a luxury she had no cry came. After several seconds she managed to dislodge herself from the pack and she lay exhausted upon the icy floor. Again she listened for the deep voice and again all she heard was the whistling of the wind.

Outside the snow continued to pile upon itself. Already the entrance was nearly blocked by the icy substance. The light which had shone through both the entrance and exit was evaporating blocked as it were by the mountain of snow that threatened to engulf the hill entirely.

“Emperor, save me.” She pleaded. Then with a caustic laugh she remembered the retort to the saying. “He helps those who help themselves.”

How she missed him. She missed his commanding voice, his rare gentle laugh. What would he say if he saw her there waiting for death? She wondered. Would he understand her plight or would he be harsh and brutal. Whichever attitude he’d a chose the command to pray would come with as sure as the Emperor was upon his throne. So that’s what she did. She prayed to the Emperor, to her Primarch the Lion, to the spirit of her deceased lord. She prayed for guidance, she prayed for strength. She chanted the Litanies of Hate and the Catechisms of Jrrao. Finally for good measure she invoked the name of Brother-Marine Horace who according to her Lord owed him one. She hoped the Marine might carry his favor over to her.

Slowly Catherine began to stir again, bracing her hands against the ground she willed her frozen legs to stand. The effort warmed her slightly and she felt a bit of life flow back into her. Standing now she stumbled over to the door. Clasping the knob between her two frozen palms she twisted until the door popped open sending her toppling to the floor again. She recovered and looked into the doorway. Stairs led upwards farther than she could see. Gathering up her strength she rose for a second time and walked through the door.
‹•›

The door led to a protracted hallway whose walls glowed much like the shaft and whose broken tile floors resembled the second opening. Fortunately however, for all the similarities there were no obscene horrors with which to assault her senses. The hallway was filled with wide doors upon whose heavy frames were padded with a thick cloth-like material. Beside each door was a softly glowing keypad built into the wall. At the end of the hall was another door parallel to the one she’d just emerged from. Above Thousands of strands of corded wire crisscrossed each other throughout the length of the hall creating a ceiling of glossy sleekness. Upon this ceiling made of black wire Catherine could see large eyes stare down at her through tiny openings.

She ignored these gaping eyes and proceeded to the first door. Closer now she discovered a view slit which she slid open to peer inside. The room was a perfect square, padded on all sides just like the doors themselves. In the center of the room a man sat cross-legged. She called out to him but he made no response. Shrugging her shoulders she closed the slit and moved on. The next room was empty but words, written on the wall in blood read: ‘Come in and beslubber Me!’ Catherine did no such thing and continued on. Throughout her exploration she found most of the rooms to be empty and bare and by the time she checked the seventh she was close to the end of the hall. Inside was a woman restrained by a straight jacket. She stared menacingly through thick strands of hazel hair at Catherine all the while moving her lips in quick efficiency. The words the woman spoke Catherine couldn’t hear and she quickly shut the view slit and continued on.

Catherine decided to skip the last three rooms and made her way to the end of the hallway. She came to a halt in front of the final door which was a heavy blue. An engraving of a raging bull was carved into its surface in extreme detail. Catherine placed her palm against the horns of the beast and pushed.

Slowly the door opened to reveal a sauna. Immediately upon entering Catherine began to sweat. On either side of the room small baths filled with bubbling water gave off heavy steam. The floor was constructed of fine marble tiles that were moist to the touch. On the far wall was a man crucified. Sturdy nails that pierced his hands and feet bound him to the smooth walls. He was naked save for a loincloth and a length of barbed wire wrapped around his head. His face held a rugged quality and was handsome to her eyes. His body was well muscled and though his limbs had been pierced no blood stained either his body or the walls. Though his chest rose and descended with normality his neck hung limply in the humid air. 

Catherine approached the man and cautiously put her hand up against his taut abdomen. Looking up she discovered a familiar face.

“Naves?” She gasped as she withdrew her hand. “What are you doing here?”

He did not reply. She repeated the question and shook him violently when he did not respond. Of a sudden his body came free and collapsed. She dodged the falling body allowing Naves to strike the wet floor with a loud slap! Anxiously Catherine bent down and rolled his limp form over. She waved her hand in front of his eyes. She rubbed her knuckles against his sternum and still got no response. She gave up on awaking him and turned to the wall where he’d hung. With Naves out of the way she could see a clothes hanger that had been taped to the wall behind him. A small patch of smeared blood was its background. Attached was a yellow sticky note which simply read ‘venial’.

Catherine took hold of the hanger and turned it over in her hands. It was a normal clothes hanger, nothing was special about it. With a sigh of resignation she sat down upon the wooden bench and slipped off her shorts. She straightened out the hanger, closed her eyes, and gritted her teeth.   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:41:22 AM by bluewpc »

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
The Session 1 of 2 Part II
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2008, 01:23:33 AM »
Catherine collapsed upon the base of yet another flight of stairs. Breathing hard she tried to make out her original staring point far below only to find that it was out of sight. She propped herself up against the bare walls careful not to bump her head against the elegant but aged railing held aloft by a baluster similar in façade that jutted out of the wall. She rested for a few minutes letting the fire that burned in her muscles die out. The body numbing cold had left her body several flights down and now she was soaked in sweat. Strewn about randomly along the staircase were discarded layers of clothes that had either impeded her climb or were just uncomfortable. Now she simply kept the black fatigues that had been given to her by Lijew in what seemed a lifetime ago.

She glanced upwards and let out a soft curse. Despite having traveled for hours she could not see the exit.

“I’ve stumbled upon the staircase of infinity.” She mumbled to herself.   

Grudgingly she hauled herself back onto her aching feet and continued her climb. It wouldn’t be so bad, she mused, if the place wasn’t so dull. The walls held no ornaments, no pictures, no writing, nothing aesthetically pleasing to the eye. For miles and miles it was the same dull gray lit by tiny glow globes built into the walls at regular intervals.

“You should probably head back.” She commented.

She chuckled to herself. “What and miss what’s up there? Hell I’ve been climbing forever might as well finish.” She replied.

Catherine looked over at herself as she bounded farther up the stairs. “Just go back I mean what makes you think there’s even anything up there?” Catherine asked. 

“Well for starters this is a staircase. Generally speaking nature doesn’t just randomly place these things around for amphetamine parrots and giggles.”

Catherine’s face distorted into a snarl. “You think you’re so damn smart, little be-atch.”

“Smarter than you.” She taunted.

“We’ll see about that.” She spat.

Suddenly Catherine pulled a snub-nosed revolver from inside her leather jacket and leveled it at her military fatigued self.

“I’m telling you go back!” She threatened.

Catherine stared at herself in disbelief. “You’re not going to shoot-

BANG!

Catherine was thrown back against the wall as the bullet planted itself in her right shoulder.

“beslubbering be-atch!” She raged.

Catherine fired again but this time she ducked down and charged up the stairs. She tackled her casually dressed self to the ground and the two wrestled each other for control of the revolver. Taking advantage of her other self’s shock at being thrown down she bit down on her lip and tore it off. In a great shriek Catherine released the revolver and clutched her jaw. The revolver bounced down the staircase and Catherine chased after it. Seeing her attacker leave Catherine clutched her bleeding jaw and raced up the stairs. She came to a bright red door upon which was inscribed the visage of a skeletal monster. This demon however was not the one who’d once tormented her soul. This was different. Catherine did not spend time examining the engraving however and she pulled the door open just as a bullet struck her in the back of the head.

Catherine walked steadily up the stairs towards her fallen self. Blood ran freely down her arm but she paid it no heed. She came up to herself who lay on her back on the treads of the stairs. She pumped two more rounds into her chest and continued on to the door.

‹•›

Catherine emerged into a dimly lit room. “What the hell…” She whispered.

Bodies and parts of bodies were everywhere. Here a man clubbed in another man’s head with a sledgehammer cracking it open and sending gray matter everywhere. Over there a burly man gouged another’s eyes out before a machete cut off his left arm and then his head. In one corner an obese man wrestled in vain against a tall woman who was in the process of cutting open his stomach with a small pocket knife. When she’d managed a hole wide enough for her hands to fit through she reached in and pulled out the still live man’s intestines. In the center of the melee a man with long winding hair struck a woman in the breast with a meat cleaver. Closer to the edge one man grabbed his opponents jaw and ripped it out before replanting it into the man’s forehead.

Across the room Catherine spotted a glass door though what was beyond she couldn’t see as it had been completely covered in blood. Gripping her revolver tightly she began to walk through the murderous riot. The soft pattering and splashing of her feet against the floor and puddles of blood was lost amidst the howls of fury screamed by the rampaging madmen and women. She entered the melee without incident, sticking close to those who were actively killing and steering clear of those looking for a kill. Half-way through a man shattered another man’s skull with a crowbar only a few feet away that sent a spray of blood against her face and body. Catherine wiped the blood from her eyes and the motion attracted the attentions of the crowbar wielding man. He turned to charge her and she shot him in the chest. As he fell a pipe struck him squarely in the throat causing him to spit up blood before collapsing. A short woman wearing a plaid shirt and blue jeans stood over him and when he showed signs of moving again beat him mercilessly.

With a sense of urgency Catherine began to walk through the fighting crowds. Twice more she gunned down assaulters with no one left to kill. The first was an axe-wielding maniac whose face had a brutal slash across it. His clothes were heavy with blood and his blonde hair was cut short. She dodged his first swing by dropping to her knees and shot him in the kneecap. He collapsed with a howl before she silenced it with a shot to his chest. The second was another man who wore only a pair of sweats and a tiny shirt that did nothing to conceal his girth. She shot him twice in the chest as he charged her, a pair of bloody pliers held in his hands. He showed no signs of slowing as the rounds impacted his fatty body. A third round in his head dropped him for good. She trained her pistol on the obese man again and pulled the trigger but the only report was a small click. Casting the weapon away she picked up a rusted knife that lay on the floor and continued on her way.

Suddenly a pair of wet hands grasped her neck and forced her to her knees. She gagged and coughed as the unseen hands squeezed against her throat. Quickly she stabbed backwards with her knife and was rewarded with a terrible cry. Catherine fell to the floor and gasped her breath. Behind her a woman in a lavender dress clutched at her wounded eye. Catherine spit on the floor and crawled over to her assaulter and stabbed her in her heart. Suddenly she screamed in pain as a hammer struck her shot shoulder. She turned around and plunged her knife into her attacker’s knee. He howled in pain and swung at her again. She blocked the blow with her arm pulled the knife out and stabbed the man again in his belly. He didn’t fall until she twisted and cut upwards.

Catherine breathed hard. The man beneath her was still alive cradling organs that had come free when she tore her knife out of his gut. With a satisfied grin she took hold of his hammer and pummeled his head until he stopped moving. Full of blood lust Catherine looked for another victim. She spotted two women wrestling each other upon the blood soaked floor. She ran towards them striking the woman on top in the back of her head as she passed before turning around and stabbing the other woman in the throat. The woman below gurgled a scream and the woman up top looked up to regard her attacker just before Catherine brought the hammer down onto her forehead caving it in and causing her to drop. Suddenly hot blood splashed against her face and she turned to see a well muscled man covered in tattoos rip another man’s head off with his bare hands. She left the two women and snuck up behind the man and plunged her knife into the small of his back. The man roared in pain and turned around ripping the knife from Catherine’s hand. The tattooed man looked down on her with contempt before picking her up and throwing her across the room.

She struck the wall, feeling ribs crack, before falling to the floor. She looked up just in time to see a massive fist swing towards her. She ducked and the fist struck the wall shattering tile. Striking out with the claw of her hammer she managed to hook it onto the tattooed man’s calf. She pulled with all of her might and buried the claw deep in his leg. The man bellowed in rage and punched her square in her face, shattering her nose and sending her sliding across the floor.  The man walked up to her and prepared to smash her head with a stomp of his boot when a barbed club struck him in the back of his head. The man fell to his knees and turned just as the club shot out towards him again. He raised up his forearm to intercept the blow and it struck with a meaty crunch. Grabbing the club wielding arm he forced the weapon out of his attackers and turned the barbed weapon upon its owner. The original owner a lanky fellow with curly hair screamed in agony as his club was brought down against his face time and again until all that remained was a pulpy mesh.

Taking advantage of the tattooed man’s distraction Catherine tore the stuck knife from his back. The man roared and as he turned she jumped upon his chest and carved messily through the man’s throat with the rusted knife. The tattooed man, defiant till the end, threw her off and grabbed her by her shoulders and slammed her against the wall. Blood continued to spill from the man’s mouth and throat and Catherine struggled against his grip but the man managed to walk a few steps and throw her against the wall before he finally collapsed.

Catherine crashed through the glass door and onto a cold black floor. She pulled herself up quickly expecting another fight to begin only to find that she had no pursuers and that she had made it to her original destination. Breathing deeply she walked away from the slaughter room with hesitation and a small pang of regret. She found herself in a narrow corridor whose walls were pitch black and whose light was dim. At the far end of the passageway was a small door upon whose metallic surface was a symbol that looked like a child’s drawing of a sun radiating light. The symbol glowed an ominous green as she approached and with a barely audible hiss the doors opened to reveal a large ziggurat shaped chamber.

Catherine proceeded warily into the chamber her clothes leaving a wet trail of blood behind her. As she made her way in she noticed an awe-inspiring image carved into the floor.

“The Nightbringer.” She spoke with reverence. “Wait what?”

Suddenly she found herself beset with puzzlement at her apparent knowledge of things she’d never seen before. With great trepidation she crossed the remaining distance to the image, bent down and touched it softly with her slit fingers. No sooner had her scarred index finger brush gently against the image did it dissolve into a silvery liquid that fled from her touch. Likewise Catherine backed away, seeing now that it wasn’t just the portion she’d touched but the entirety of the engraving that was melting.

She watched with wonderment as the metallic liquid flowed into itself adding to its mass until nothing remained of the fearful image. Suddenly the liquid began to transform into a perfect sphere it changed before riding up upon itself revealing legs first, then a torso, arms and finally a head. As the skeletal figure formed the silvery liquid changed its color from silver, to flesh, then finally to black. When the creature finally finished its transfiguration it looked up at her revealing a familiar face.

“You!” She cried furiously.

“Were you expecting someone else?” Mathias replied calmly.

“Why…why are you here?” Catherine demanded.

“The same reason you are.” He continued. “I saw in your mind what you wanted when we met.  I knew what would happen I knew you’d come crawling back here for comfort. I supplanted that tiny sanctuary with a piece of myself.” Mathias paused to lick his lips. “Because you need to hear what I have to say and that tiny little bonsai you kept wasn’t going to do the job.”

“And what did I have to hear so beslubbering badly that you killed my beslubbering tree?” Catherine hissed.

“That you have not been abandoned. You are not alone. You are not a rock, nor an island.  Neither through your own fault nor by fault of your chapter were you denied your initiation.  Sometimes the universe is unfair. Sometimes you have to look elsewhere for inclusion.” He consoled.

“What with you? I’ll pass.” Catherine spat.

“I gave you a gift Catherine and it wasn’t just a pair of trousers and a rifle. I gave you a part of what makes me, me.” Mathias explained, beating his chest for emphasis on ‘me’. “I gifted you with the power of a furious God the likes of which hasn’t walked this galaxy for millions of years. That power is tucked away within you even now and I can show you how to use it if you only pledge yourself to me and my cause.”

“Which is?”

“I have the power to steal souls, girl. I have the power to unlock the Pariah gene just like I did with you. When the star gods return they’ll try to harvest all life save us. They won’t kill us at least not right away. Locked away in our bodies is their key to taking the fight to the Chaos Gods themselves. Who of course will fight back with tooth, nail, and claw.”

“What do you want to do?”  Catherine demanded.

“Spread the faith.” Mathias spoke gloomily. “Do you really think in a galaxy full of psykers there’s room for people like us. Do you think it’s a coincidence that in a galaxy where one in a hundred million is blank there’s almost three thousand here? I made them; I purged their psychic presence, in some cases their lives, with some help of course. I made them because when that final battle is over and either the star gods or the chaos gods remain well be hunted, though whether by the ranks of death or the legions of chaos I can’t be sure.”

“What about the Imperium!” Catherine scolded in reflex. “So long as the light of the Emperor shines the Imperium will weather any storm!”

“That may very well be true, girl but I can’t know for sure.”

“So what’re you going to do hideaway like some whipped dog? You gonna dig yourself a little hole and bury your head in it?”

Mathias chuckled to himself. “No I’m going to build an empire, for people like you and me. A part of the Imperium of course, as long as it survives the night. I can control the sentient metal, the necrodermis. You can too though to a far lesser extent. On our neighboring world there is a complex filled with ziggurat like monoliths. Each I believe to be capable of extragalactic flight. Depending on the outcome of the war we can wield them against our foes or otherwise flee within their wombs and be born again into another galaxy.”

A sly smile inched its way across Catherine’s face. “You do realize you’re dead?”

“What?”

“That’s right, immolated on a downed spaceship. We found your remains all burned and shriveled.  So all your damn scheming was for nothing.”

“I see.” Mathias spoke softly. “Then I suppose there’s no reason for me to be here. I’ll let you keep my gift girl. You’re going to need it.”

And with that Mathias began to melt. 

‹•›

Catherine scrambled out of the collapsing chamber, past the doors, through the hallway and into the bloodletting arena. There she leaped to the side just a blazing white frame erupted from the entrance shooting out to engulf several of the murdering maniacs. They ran around like live kindles before toppling over dead into puddles of blood that hissed as the water evaporated.

She gazed round to see only a few people, four in fact, were left and of them all battered and exhausted. They swung their weapons and fists clumsily and their movements were slow and measured. Catherine retrieved the hammer from the tattooed man’s calf and sped carelessly towards them. She marked out her target. A man with a bare chest and wore short jeans and brown boots, scarred all over his body who currently straddled another man and was gouging his eyes out. Catherine loomed over him like a demon of death. She flipped the hammer to its claw side and cocked it back before bashing it as hard as she could into the man’s face. The claws embedded themselves in the man’s cheek bone and she pulled him off his victim and onto the floor. Then with a grunt of effort she pulled her hammer free taking along with it the man’s cheek and continued to bash the man’s head in.

“This Is For Every beslubbering Time!” She screamed in unison with her blows and with each impact a splash of blood and bone shot up.

Of a sudden a pair of hands grabbed her shoulder and spun her around. A hand bloody and broken reached to touch her face. She whipped her head to the left and hand passed, touching nothing but air. Her attacker, a woman lithe and beautiful was thrown off balance by the miss and she tumbled over. She gripped Catherine’s soaked fatigues as she fell dragging her down with her. Catherine allowed herself to be dragged down and when she landed she sprang upwards and bit into the woman’s neck grasping the jugular within her teeth and ripped and tore.  The woman’s terrible howling filled Catherine with sweet pleasure and eased her spiteful rage. She smiled as she looked down at the women’s pleading face. Her hair was long and a natural red though blood still soaked it. Her face was calm and her green eyes familiar. Suddenly a realization dawned upon her.

“Sandra!” She cried.

The woman looked at her knowingly and Catherine felt tears well up within her. She tried to speak, to say she was sorry but she choked up and by the time she’d managed ‘I’ her friend was gone. When Sandra breather her last for the second time Catherine looked up at the blood soaked ceiling and let out a howl of shame, remorse, and regret. Slowly the world around her began to crumble. The ceiling ripped off in a mighty gust of wind to be replaced by a narrow semicircle shaped slab of metal. The walls collapsed and where they once stood walls of ferrocrete laid and mortared itself. The floor beneath her corroded to icy cold ferrocrete and the air chilled. Last of all the body of Sandra rotted away till bones became ash and ash became nothing.

Catherine sobbed a terrible lament. Her wails disturbed the snow resting peacefully on the lip of the tunnel outside.

Then a voice guttural yet soothing. “It is alright child, everything shall be alright. You are only dreaming.” 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” She managed between sobs. “I’m all alone; I don’t want to go back to the Chapter anymore. I want to die.”

“No you don’t.” The voice chided.

Suddenly Catherine felt warm hands brush against her shoulders. She turned but nothing was there.

“Hello? Who’s there?” She called out.

Suddenly a terrible pain shot through her shoulder and Catherine was shook violently back into reality.

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
The Session 2 of 2
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2008, 01:30:19 AM »
The Session Part 2 of 2

Her first sight was that of the too bright skies above Flak. She squeezed her eyes tight to block out the light and then reopened them a half-second later as she was dragged across the dusty ground by an unknown attacker. Venting her rage she let out a bestial howl and suddenly the pressure against her shoulder relaxed. She turned sharply to regard a small animal that was backing slowly away from her. The creature was four-legged and hairless. Its skin was reptilian and a dusty green. It bore the semblance of a dog, the head was definitely canine though it lacked any visible ears, its jaws were wide, its teeth numerous and dagger like but far too small to be of much use in a fight.  The body was slim and malnourished. Its spindly legs ended in sickle like claws one of which had been broken off earlier in some mishap. No tail wagged behind the creature and as Catherine approached it lowered its head and let out a warning growl.

Catherine halted at the creatures warning. She stared directly into the creature’s half-moon eyes trying to force it into obeisance. The creature relented under her vicious gaze sensing that its impromptu meal may very soon become a predator if provoked further.  The creature continued its throaty growl as it backed cautiously away. Catherine watched with bewilderment as the strange creature fled off the road and down the hill into the domains of the black grass which stretched out into the far horizon. Far off in the distance on the outskirts of the city black smoke rose into the sky as the inhabitants of the city put the grass to the torch.

She paid the sight no mind and turned to examine her shoulder. The wound was superficial, only a few small trickles of blood ran free. In fact her blouse had taken a far worse beating than her shoulder. Growling her irritation she made her way back to her rucksack upon which was a piece of applied tape that read ‘Cyrillic’. He’s probably pissed as hell, she thought with a morbid smile. She kicked the thing open and pulled out a ration pack, sat down and began eating. The food was dry and tasteless, all save the chocolate candy bar which tasted like cardboard. As she ate she reflected on her decision to run away. It had been a hasty decision to be sure. No sooner had she retrieved her tiny possession from her Lord’s ruined corpse, his service studs to be precise, did she leave the site stopping only to ransack a truck whose flatbed was filled with packs. She’d grabbed the first one she saw and set off into the night. What were the odds, she wondered, that the pack would be Cyrillic’s who’d been with her throughout the battle. She could only imagine Cyrillic’s rage at having his pack stolen and his embarrassment at the tiny books tucked away whose spines read The Stones Cry Out and Beginners Guide to Haikus.   

Grrrghghrr.

Catherine looked up to see the strange reptile like creature standing on the edge of the road eyeing her hungrily. She didn’t bother to move hoping that ignoring it would make it go away. Even if it did not however Catherine still had her silvery brass knuckles whose blade was still sharp as ever. The creature began to come closer, inching away at first and then becoming a wary trot. Deftly Catherine reached into her blouse pocket and produced the knuckles. The creature halted several steps from her and stared. She regarded the creature with slight irritation. She knew what it wanted but she didn’t feel like helping. With a resigned sigh she reached into her rucksack and took out another ration pack. She opened the plastic bag and emptied its contents out on to her lap. She picked through until she found the main meal and unwrapping it held it out for the reptilian animal. Holding the piece of meat in her bare hand probably wasn’t the brightest idea however as the creature seeing the offer for what is was threw caution to the wind and bit down on both the meat and her hand.

“Hey!” She bellowed as she pulled away, dragging the animal along a short distance.

The creature opened its jaws and Catherine withdrew her hand letting the slab of meat fall to the ground. The creature famished as it was attacked the defenseless piece of meat and devouring it in rapid order. Catherine watched the creature feast impassively. When it finished the creature looked up at her with wanting eyes and she unwrapped more of the packages, this time tossing them at its feet as opposed to holding them out.

Catherine reached out with her bitten hand and patted the creature’s head. “I think I’ll call you…жалость. Pity.”

Catherine had been traveling for almost a week, living off of the supplies inside her pilfered pack. Not that that had been her original plan. In truth she’d only taken the rucksack in the hopes that someone would notice the theft and come looking. Several days after her departure she began to hope that someone would notice her absence and come looking.  How could they have not noticed that she’d been missing for a week? Didn’t they care? Despair had threatened to overcome her half-way through her journey but she’d pressed on holding onto the hope that she’d soon be found. Looking at the poor animal before her provided only slight comfort; wouldn’t he leave too, once her food was gone?

“How ‘bout it жалость, you’ll stay with me right?”

The animal did not reply, occupied as it was with feasting. 

She squeezed the creature’s head gently. “That’s alright.”

‹•›

Catherine plodded lazily down the side of the road, the odd reptilian look creature following close behind. The city of Flak had long disappeared into the hazy horizon. All around her were endless fields of black grass whose realms were punctured occasionally by monstrous trees that were terrible to behold. Faintly she could see the translucent gasses emitted by the trees rise up into the cloudy sky. She’d been traveling for almost four full days now, back towards the downed strike cruiser where she hoped to be picked up by a liaison to the Chapter. The trip back felt good despite her being caught in a mild radiation storm the day before. The storm hadn’t been that bad though had she not already been in cover underneath an overpass, things may have been different. In either case she was able to enjoy from complete safety a vivid display of colors that raged through the lower atmosphere like the wind that bore it. Adding to it all жалость decided not to abandon her after all and though the beast had devoured most of the food she refused to pass judgment upon her faithful companion. 

Several times during her travel she encountered other loners like her, walking with head down, shoulders hunched, and hands in their pockets. Going she’d never deigned to speak to them and those who held their heads high didn’t deign to speak with her. Now, returning she looked to make conversation with some her fellow travelers. Most of the people she’d spoken to were leaving Linthicum though one man, a tall brown-eyed ruffian who wore a full faced gas mask and all leather clothing had emerged from the realms of the grass itself claiming to be a permanent resident. She’d bought food for herself and her pet from the man using money taken from the rucksack. ‘beslubber you Cyrillic’ she thought as she made her purchase.

Later she’d stopped to speak to two travelers who told her they heading towards Pummel which according to rumor had been wiped off the map. They were hoping to make off with some loot before the PDF secured the area. They’d asked if she wanted to tag along and help carry some of the loot when they got there but she declined sensing that the two men would want her to do more than just carry things. On her second night out she’d come across a man dressed in familiar black fatigues sitting next to a small fire. The man seeing that this new arrival was garbed similarly to himself, motioned for her to sit down.

“Headed back towards the ship?” He asked while she made herself comfortable.

Catherine nodded her head. “Yeah I’m looking for somebody. Kirin, actually do you know if he’s there?”

The man nodded his head vigorously. “He’s there, he’s there. But not for long, a meeting’s been called and everyone who can make its going to Tava.”

“A meeting! When?”  She inquired. “About what?”

“Two days from now; we are going to pick a new leader. Mathias is off the grid no one knows where he is, he hasn’t contacted us we’ve got pieces of  what we think is him.” He explained. “Actually not surprised you hadn’t heard about the meet. Getting word around in the last week has been hectic. I mean everyone knows there’s gonna be a meet just not the specifics. Only reason I know is cause I spoke to Harry back at the crash site.”

“Who’s Harry?”

The man held out his hands. “Harry! Harry! You’re in his unit how do you not know his name? Uh..Cyrillic. Harry is his first name. You’re Cathy right? Aren’t you in his unit?”

“Catherine.” She corrected. “I am but what’s he doing there? Did he tell you about me?”

“Yeah he did, told me if I saw you to tell you get your ass back there pronto. Seemed pretty pissed if you ask me but he’s always pissed about something. Guy’s an rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean?.”

“You’re telling me.” She said wryly. “By the way what’s your name?”

“Devin Miregal at your service.” The man said as took Catherine’s hand and shook it vigorously.

“So why are you heading down this road?” She asked.

Miregal gestured for her to wait a moment and went to retrieve an item from his pack. What he brought out was a foot tall stainless steel urn. “Funeral detail.”

“For who?” She asked amusedly.

“One Sergei, Trin. Deceased as of M42.007.12.28. Two days before the new year. Found in his room with a slit throat. He was a good friend of mine, taught me a lot. He said he wanted to be cremated, have his ashes dumped in the Litus river out past Korinth.”

“Korinth?”

“About fifty miles South of Essex.” He explained.

“Do you know who killed him?” She asked.

“Nope but I tell you this. I’ll find out and when I do I’m going to beslubber that piece of amphetamine parrot up.” He spat viciously.

“Oh.” She replied feeling suddenly awkward.

“Sorry about that. Just he was a friend.” Miregal apologized. “Should probably get some sleep.”

Catherine took Miregal’s advice though; she didn’t drift off quite as quickly as she would’ve wanted. Жалость nuzzled up besides her, burying its toothy snout in her armpit, growled and generally made a nuisance of itself. While she waited for sleep to overtake her she gazed up at the night sky. As always clouds blocked the stars above and Catherine felt a terrible need to gaze upon their sparkling forms once more. Just one more thing, she thought sadly. Just then жалость nipped at her arm and she chuckled softly to herself. Not everything is lost at least and hopefully there is more to reclaim in the near future. After all Cyrillic wouldn’t hang around Astartes just for his pack. Maybe he misses me? She mused. Or more likely Kirin with help from Naves and Lijew forced him to stay. She liked the sound of either possibility; it meant someone cared for her.

‹•›

The next morning the two travelers gave their goodbyes, wished each other luck and parted ways.

Down the road Miregal strode for his lifelong friend was now but an ode.

With Жалость lurking along Catherine continued her long trek.

It took almost six hours more before the downed ship of the Chaste came into view far off in the distance. The place looked nothing like the ship she’d once left. Huge fortifications had been constructed around the ship each connected by long lengths of trenches too deep for a normal man to fire out of. Heavy weapon emplacements covered the roads and upon the road itself a VCP had been established. Parts of the ship glowed telling her that Tech-Marines had been able to restore power to at least a few of the systems. All around the base of the ship Marines scurried hauling crates, picking through debris, digging further entrenchments, performing tasks that was far below a Marine’s status. Thing was there was no one else left to do those tasks for them. Their serfs were all dead and they didn’t have the numbers to enslave the local populace. Lord Siloden is in a precarious position indeed, she mused.

Briefly she thought of returning to the chapter before beating the idea with a stick, putting a gun in its mouth, pulling the trigger and burying it in a far away field never to be seen again. She smiled regretfully at the thought. But of course the Chapter wouldn’t be going anywhere for a good long while. Perhaps after a few years the flames of betrayal would cool and she’d return to see how things were going, certainly she’d be keeping tabs on them and considering her affiliation with them maybe Zmey чорний might even decide to make her a liaison. Estranged from the Chapter yet still working with them and perhaps even alongside them! 

Her sudden fantasy was interrupted when her eyes took notice of a man clad as she was jogging towards her down the road. If it was Kirin she expected a hug. If it was Cyrillic she expected a fist.  Mentally she prepared for both possible outcomes and quickened her pace. As the two drew closer Catherine realized with dread that man closing upon her was none other than Cyrillic. Seeing this she slowed to a walk and swallowed the lump in her throat. If she could be honest with herself her anxiety stemmed from fear, odd considering she’d gone up against bigger men and lived. Taking a deep breath she summoned her courage. If he wants a fight I’ll give him a fight, she told herself. She walked up defiantly to him. The expected blows however never came; instead a furious reprimand.

“What the beslubber’ve you been doing?” He bellowed as he crossed the last few feet that separated them. He grabbed her shoulders and spun her around working to strip his pack from her.

“I had to…think.” She muttered as she slipped her arms from out the straps.

“I already know that dumbass.” He chastised as he finally wrenched the pack free. “You’re supposed to do your beslubbering thinking where I can beslubberin’ see you! Not wondering off on a week and a half pissing trip to Flak.”

“Wait, you knew where I was?” Catherine gasped.

“It’s a one way road amphetamine parrot for brains of course we knew. Now come on were leaving.” 

Suddenly Catherine grabbed on to his sleeve. “Why didn’t you come get me? I thought you were going to leave me.” She choked. “I thought you wanted to get rid of me…I thought you didn’t want me around…if I’d known I would have stayed.”

Cyrillic slapped his head as he realized what was about to happen. “Oh amphetamine parrot. Don’t you dare start crying on me kid; I’ve had a bad beslubbering week and I don’t want your beslubbering sob story added on to it. Put a beslubbering cork in it and let’s go.”

Cyrillic continued walking leaving Catherine alone on the road. Behind her жалость trotted up. She hadn’t noticed until now but her pet had been strangely absent from her conversation. She knelt down and scratched its neck. “I should call you coward instead.” She spoke gently.
   A voice rang out, urging her onwards. She rose motioning for her pet to follow and began walking down the road.
-------------------------
If anyone is at all confused about what's going on in the first part just let me know and I'll do my best to explain.

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline 666_Mutley_666

Re: The Session 2 of 2
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2008, 04:29:46 AM »
If anyone is at all confused about what's going on in the first part just let me know and I'll do my best to explain.
i was at first but the end of it clears it up :)
p.s. i really like the slaughter room, good idea :)
oink is a nancy!

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
The Broken Cathedral Part I
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2008, 02:47:13 AM »
Sorry about the wait I was working on certain piece of fiction geared towards a certain competition...

The Broken Cathedral
   Apostlin; called the damned, called the forsaken. Once home to the brightest Kiev had to offer who in their enlightenment had raised a city that blissfully wedded architecture and aesthetics. In the outskirts was suburbia; neighborhoods of tiny prefabricated houses uncluttered by the smog and smoke of industry. Spaced periodically throughout the area were massive parks filled with blooming trees that had provided a place of leisure for the populace as they emerged from the great apertures that marked the entranceways to the rail-stations below. These stations would ferry the residents of the area miles away to their places of work in the outer city.
   From the bowels of the railways the populace would emerge into the winding city streets of the inner city, home to both the market and industrial districts. The first was a bazaar home to a wide variety of stores which sold everything from synthetic sandals to diamond rings. Entire blocks were filled to the breaking point with such stores and in truth there was no order to their layout; a restaurant that sold fish might very well be located next to a jeweler. To the people browsing for items this was of no concern however store owners had a very different opinion and because of such the market had divided itself over the years, restaurants on one side, wares on the other.
   Beyond both was the industrial district where factories, mills, silos and all other kinds of industrial related buildings rested. Here everything from weapons to cell phones were manufactured and then shipped to the rest of the world. Office buildings also dotted the landscape; large rectangular structures with thousands of windows. It was even rumored that the district was home to several R&D labs dedicated to weapons development. How credible those claims were was anyone’s guess as none had ever produced evidence proving the labs existence.
   The center of the city however, was the cultural heart of Apostlin. Here were the museums dedicated to the history of the Imperium, the men and the machines behind its everlasting triumph. Along beautifully paved streets stood marble and bronze statues depicting the Emperor and all of his Primarchs, save the fallen ones. Pleasant aromas wafted out the doors of fancier and far more specific and aesthetically minded restaurants. Art galleries had been erected in a dozen places to accommodate the artistically inclined populace and universities born so that the young might one day understand and appreciate the works they gazed upon for granted.
   All that finery, all the learning and progress was, many decades ago, in one single instant erased. The suburbs that housed thousands of families were flattened as if they were constructed of cards and a strong wind had blown over them. The rail-stations had caved in burying the trams which held hundreds of people within their cavernous depths. The thousands of windows had been shattered and the stores had been damned to radioactive ruin. The wide streets had been filled to the breaking point with debris and then choked with corpses who’d collapsed from the raging fires and the radiation. The galleries had been set ablaze and century’s worth of art was condemned to burn until they were but ashes.  The fires that licked the galleries found its way to the universities and the museums and those too had burned along with their caretakers and their accumulated knowledge. Despite it all the devastation was not total.
   Many of the buildings however, thanks to the superb engineering geared minds that raised them, were able to withstand the nuclear firestorm. That’s not to say they weren’t gutted nearly wholly by flame, only that the structures themselves still stood and in some more fortunate cases the insides were left more or less intact. In the aftermath of that momentary holocaust the survivors who were able fled, never to return. Those who couldn’t leave were forced to stay and most sought refuge in the buildings who’d suffered the least structural damage. Over the course of several years these refugees managed to create several colonies, mostly in and around the former cultural heart of the city.
   Attempts two decades later in ‘67 at restoring the city were met with failure after an insurgent group opposing Goren’s rule began operating out of the city. After a rather short guerilla war that saw the insurgents battered the group was tracked back to the city and PDF forces and a certain shadowy agency were sent in to root them out. This was unfortunate for the original residents of Apostlin for the insurgents had managed to infiltrate themselves quite successfully in their new society and neither of the two forces sent to deal with them made the effort to differentiate between normal ragged citizen and secessionist rebel.  Thus the city was cordoned off and it’s every inhabitant down to the last man, woman, and mutated child systematically hunted down and purged.
   A month later when the deed was done and everyone had died Goren touted the small genocide a victory for the forces of order in the world and then ordered that the bodies be burned in the heart of the city. That particular task, which was carried out by the secret police force who was clad mainly in black, took nearly three weeks and for long after that ash fell like snow over the ruins of the once fine city. The PDF were thankfully excused from the detail
‹•›

Cyrillic glanced out the Mikazi’s tinted window towards the open square as he drove slowly by. The square was large, perhaps a ¼ mile long and wide and hemmed in by a perimeter of paved roads its surface was covered with tall black grass that he could probably lose himself in. Solemnity was spread across his cold features as he remembered standing in that square gagging and puking violently at the stench and the sight of decomposing bodies piled high before being set ablaze with matches and oceans of gasoline. This was the square where he’d met Naves and Lijew and was more likely than not the seed that birthed the insurrection that would see Goren dead by the hands of Temple and Thake decades later. It was a part of his past that he and everyone else wished they could erase not just from the history books, a feat they’d accomplished long ago, but from their minds. He personally knew a few people who’d opted to have the memories mind-scrubbed, Lijew among them. Truthfully the idea of being able to forget the events that had taken place in Apostlin appealed to him but part of him knew it would be a crime to ever forget.
Considering the fact that the city of Apostlin was a notorious black spot in the first generation’s mind Cyrillic couldn’t imagine why in the Emperor’s holy beslubbering name they’d decided to host the first meet in twenty six years in a throne forsaken place like this. He growled his irritation drawing Catherine’s attention from the seat behind. She sat in the back of the car atop the large stereo system silently petting the odd animal she’d discovered at some point during her soul-searching. She watched him through the rearview mirror with icy ices. He glared threateningly at her and she returned to her scaly animal. Next to him Naves let out a weary sigh as he too remembered the horrific events that had transpired in the city.
“Bad juju.” Naves spoke quietly.
Cyrillic nodded his head in agreement before returning his eyes to the road in front of them. He gunned the engine and the Mikazi roared down the street, its two headlights the only source of illumination. Dangerous though it was to be speeding along in the middle of the night none of the passengers complained save for a small disconcerting howl from the animal on Catherine’s lap. 
‹•›

Buildings unlit and unoccupied flashed by but she ignored them, instead focusing her attention on scratching жалость’s canine shaped head in an attempt to placate the animal before it did anything stupid. Things like trying to jump out of a window or in a far more suicidal case bite one of her companions. She looked down at the scaly animal nuzzling her stomach timidly and realized the latter wasn’t too much of a concern.
With a dejected sigh Catherine stared out the front window towards the street ahead. They’d been driving for almost nine hours non-stop and though she wasn’t going to admit it her ass was sore as hell from sitting on a constantly thumping speaker system. During the unbearably long trek her thoughts had been inexorably drawn off and on to the opposite thoughts of the Astartes and the demon, though the first took far more precedence considering recent events. Two days after returning to the crash site and she was able to admit to herself that she didn’t hate them for turning her away. She still didn’t fully understand why she’d been denied but she’d spent enough time with her Lord to know that there were occasions when a decision would be made that wouldn’t make sense to her. Certainly Eurydice had given a few in his and hadn’t they always proven wise? She’d been told to have faith in the chapter and wasn’t the Chapter Master the epitome of that brotherhood? Grudgingly she forgave herself for whatever shortcoming being female was and though she had no intent of rectifying that particular issue she swore to do honor to her Lords memory whether in the ranks of the Astartes or the shadowy ones of the militants.  Her acceptance of this turn of events had allowed her some internal peace and though the pain of rejection was still strong it was nowhere near the crushing agony that had haunted her during her exodus.
As for the demon she’d done her best to force his scarred visage to the back of her mind but like the demon itself it just kept popping back into her head at the most inopportune and unexpected times. Locales, people, and even random objects would inadvertently spark small fragments of horror from the ordeal. Most of the time she internalized the visions of death and torture but every once in a while a particularly horrific image, complete with audio, video and feeling, would come to her and she’d be forced to relive the ghastly tortures visited upon her body. In those situations she generally forced herself into a secluded room where she’d remain until the vision passed. Afterwards she’d collect herself and return to whatever task was at hand. No one knew about her time with the demon save Mathias and Grace, the former of which had gone missing and was presumed dead.
 Catherine didn’t exactly prefer it this way but she knew any knowledge of that time of her life might jeopardize her already tenuous relationships with the men of her unit. Still though, she’d played with the idea of telling someone. As a way to think of something other than those two subjects she thought of who might be the ideal person for such confidence.
She wouldn’t tell Lijew who was more of an awkward father figure than an actual friend. Cyrillic, the noble bastion of understanding and sympathy was ruled out immediately. Kirin was the most logical choice but his wife, Natalya, didn’t like him being around her. She remembered clearly an enlightening four hour sit-down where the woman had cornered her and spoken at length about sex, infidelity, babies and hell. For a long time afterwards she’d wondered why the two had gotten married. That left Brandis, Vaughan, Naves and Sergei. The first she’d never met and the second only momentarily. They were a part of Cyrillic’s crew but they’d been sent out on some task after Irminsul and she’d not seen or heard of them since. Though she’d never met Sergei she knew he was dead and while it appealed to her senses to confess to the dead she didn’t feel like tracking Miregal down and relieving him of his urn.
That left Naves. Handsome, cool, dual friend of Cyrillic and thorn in his side; he was one of the few, fast dwindling bright spots in her life.  Earlier on in the day she’d petitioned, in the most unwhiny voice manageable, to switch seats or maybe even drive the highly stylized sports vehicle for a while. The latter request was met with genuine laughter by Cyrillic who gleefully responded in the negative whilst wiping tears from his face. ‘You? Drive?’ he’d spoken with incredulity before breaking down in caustic laughter again. She ignored the bastard and quietly fidgeted with the brass knuckles hidden away in her blouse’s side pocket. Fortunately for the continued structural integrity of Cyrillic’s jugular Naves unbuckled his seat belt and proceeded to climb to the back. She’d nodded her thanks and bid жалость to follow before climbing into the electrically warmed leather seats.
They’d switched back several hours later but the relief of not having bass transmitted directly into one’s ass was cause for several fervent prayers of thanks to the Emperor. In those few hours of bliss she’d distracted herself as best she could from the world around her by talking frivolously with her benefactor who was now instructing Cyrillic to turn the stereo off. They talked of nothing important; Lijew’s laughable attempts at child rearing, the weather, at length on poetry that made Cyrillic clear his throat at least twelve times. For the first time in a long while Catherine had genuinely laughed and forgotten the amphetamine parrotty circumstances she was in. Once during their conversation she’d remembered one particular vision that he’d featured in, garbed only in a loincloth and she instantly blushed. Naves, who was busy comparing at length a once owned dog to жалость, became suddenly aware of her flushed cheeks and having seen the look before a million times laughed awkwardly before returning to the subject at hand. 

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
The Broken Cathedral Part II
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2008, 02:47:47 AM »
‹•›

жалость let out a sharp whelp and Catherine was awoken from her reverie as the Mikazi came to an abrupt stop.

“We’re here.” Cyrillic announced unceremoniously as he and Naves exited the car.

Catherine followed closely behind and emerged into the cold night and onto a cracked sidewalk. In front of her was a wide stone staircase that led up to the weather worn face of a great cathedral, which unlike every other building in the city was lit. Flanking both sides of the staircase with its spiked gothic balustrade were two faded statues one of Guilliman and the other of Dorn bedecked in full power armor and each with their head bowed in deference. Reflexively she fell to her knees uttering holy catechisms, an action that won her bemused glances from both men. Several minutes later when she’d finished she looked up to regard the cathedral itself.

Though ancient and battered the once holy home of a bishop still held a dominating presence.  The western front was a massive slab of granite carved to resemble the armored forms of the Primarchs Ferrus Manus and Rogal Dorn, heads bowed in supplication hands clutching an axe and a sword respectively. Between their mighty legs were heavy wooden doors one of which had been repaired recently. Standing just as tall as the Primarchs themselves were the two great western towers, the southern of which had unfortunately collapsed only to be boarded up with plywood. Two transepts, each incredibly long though the easternmost was longer by about fifty yards, stretched out from the main body and disappeared into the night.  Domed cavities cut high up in the cathedral’s walls which had once been the resting places of exquisitely detailed stained windows were now boarded up. Beside the great doors two sentries stood with assault rifles at the ready overlooking the street.

In the distance Catherine could hear the sound of a purring engine and she turned to see a battered truck emerge from an intersection down the road. Looking down the street she realized that there were rows of cars covering the entirety of the street; not abandoned but parked.

“A lot of people here for this?” She asked Naves.

Naves who was already making his way up to the stairs turned, “Yeah.” He responded before continuing up the stairs. She made to follow and hear the pattering of claws against stone and realized жалость was following her. She knelt down and patted the lizard’s head and instructed it to wait in the car. That taken care of she followed her squad mates up the stairs and through the massive doors. The two sentries she passed nodded at her as she went.

She passed into the Nave, a wide expanse filled with pews where dozens of black clad men sat talking quietly to one another. She stood directly in the main aisle and from there was afforded a view of a massive effigy of the Emperor overlooking the main altar almost two hundred yards away. Leaning against a small podium was a man whose features she could not make out.  She didn’t bother to venture further into the Cathedral to view him and began taking in the Cathedral. The floor was carved from marble and upon whose surface rested a mosaic of the Imperium proper. The domed ceiling was also covered in mosaics; one of the Emperor casting Horus into hell others of his Primarchs performing various deeds in His name. The view was amazing despite its tattered state and she could feel her breath leave her for a moment.  From deeper in the Cathedral she could hear the thrumming of generators and at a distance she could see thick cords run out along the walls from the first southern transept. Glow candles, along with real ones provided soft light throughout the Cathedral, lending it a gentle and drowsy atmosphere.

Realizing she was alone Catherine scanned the myriad faces of the assembled searching for one familiar. Down by the Southern aisle near the first transept she spotted Naves warmly embracing a friend he’d not seen in a while. She couldn’t make out the other man’s features but he was at least a head shorter than his jovial friend. A whistle grabbed her attention and she turned to see Cyrillic gesturing towards her as he disappeared into a staircase that led up to the second floor.

She moved to follow but from nowhere a hand reached out and gently took her shoulder. She turned to see Grace looking down on her contemptuously.

“Let’s go somewhere private.” He said quietly as he led her away by the arm.

Grace took her down the main aisle. Along the way Naves spotted her and Grace immediately let go of her arm. He mouthed ‘OK’ and she nodded her head; she wasn’t sure why the man wanted to speak with her but she seriously doubted he was going to try anything. Just in case though, she stuck her hand in her pocket and slipped on her brass knuckles. They took a quick right into the Northern transept where they then proceeded through a small wooden door and into a dormitory.

Catherine looked around as she entered finding the room to be miniscule, the majority taken up by a dusty writing table and an even dustier bed. She noticed there was no chair. The rough stone floor was a stark contrast with the magnificence outside. Whoever lived here must have been quite pious, Catherine decided, unlike its present occupants.  Grace shut the door behind her as she came in and took a seat upon the desk. He motioned for her to take a seat on the bed and she fidgeted with her knuckles before moving off. They stared at each other for a few seconds, Catherine with her hands set firmly in her pockets, Grace his heavy arms crossed.

Grace let out a heavy sigh. “Do you know why I asked you here?”  He spoke as she took her seat.

Catherine shook her head. “How the hell should I know, you dragged me here.”

“OK…we’re all here,” Grace spread his arms round to encompass the Cathedral, “because Mathias has gone missing, presumed to be dead. Understand?”

“I already know that.” She muttered.

“I know you did it’s for…whatever. Listen tonight we’re going to be discussing a lot of amphetamine parrot that deals with our future, our standing in the world, issues within the organization and what not. Most importantly we’re going to be selecting a new head. I need-”

Catherine leaned forward on the edge of the bed. “You want me to be the new head?” She interrupted.

“No. I want you to keep your mouth shut while I talk.” He chastised. “I need to know what Mathias did...that mind thing he did when you first showed up.”

Catherine stared at the man confused. She knew what he was talking about but she wanted to know specifically what he needed to know. “What do you mean?”

“I know he put amphetamine parrot in your head was it information…plans, hell maybe even a successor in the event of his death?” 

She thought back to the nightmare she’d had while at Flak. Mathias had spoken of building an empire of blanks and of fleeing to another galaxy. An idea, which no one else seemed to be aware of. Quickly she wondered if she should tell the man what she’d been told and then realized it wouldn’t matter because Mathias wasn’t there to see his plans carried out.

Her concentration was broken by Grace. “Well?” He implored.

Catherine bit her lip. “He gave me something…just not what you want.”

“Enlighten me.” He spoke.

“You know the soul-stripping?” She asked.

Grace stared at her blankly before pulling a flask from his front trouser pocket and took a great swig. Obviously the idea of someone being able to snuff out another human being’s soul was disconcerting to him. He let out another sigh and began pacing the room back and forth in contemplation.

“amphetamine parrot.” He finally said.

Catherine raised her hands in apology and got up to leave.

Suddenly Grace spun round. “Wait kid.” He commanded. “Don’t tell anyone about this thing you’ve got…” he took another long drink before continuing. “…you’ll attract unwanted attention.”

Catherine nodded her thanks and left the room, closing the door behind her.

‹•›

Once Catherine had stepped out she leaned up against the fine marble wall. That was unusual, she thought, of course unusual is a relative thing nowadays. Sighing she kicked herself off the wall and headed down the northern aisle. Glancing to the other side of the Cathedral she could see that Naves was still chatting with his friend. She waved to get his attention and when he looked over she gave him reassuring thumbs up before continuing on. What was she going to do? She wondered. Supposedly she had the gift of controlling the necro something or another along with the ability to strip away people’s souls but she’d no idea how to actually perform the trick. Now hearing that she’d be attracting unwanted attention if she did, she had to wonder if developing those powers was even a worthwhile venture.

She stopped in her walk and looked out at the faces of the men assembled. There were hundreds upon hundreds of them some sitting quietly in their pews, others talking to their neighbor in hushed tones. She knew this wasn’t out of respect for the Emperor but she was glad for the quiet anyways.  Most of the faces she saw looked to be middle-aged though there were a few leaning on the extremes of ancient and childish.  She knew from Lijew a good many were older than their appearances would lead her to believe, a result of rejuvenaut operations. Hence those who looked to be in their thirties may very well be nearing or over a century old. She glanced over to Naves her, if she could be honest, crush. Lijew had informed her that he was nearly seventy years old despite looking as if he’d just gotten out of his twenties. She let out a despairing sigh and then realized she was attracting attention. Men sat in their pews staring at the girl who was in turn studying their faces. One particular face stuck out and on an impulse she walked over to its pew and took a seat.

The old man she’d sat by regarded her with a tattooed face of stone. Catherine not unnerved met his gaze. He was slightly tanned and his head was bald though he nurtured a long, graying goatee. His tattered short sleeve version of the black fatigues hung open revealing the flesh underneath. The rifle that rested on its butt stock between his legs was like its owner an old and outdated model she’d never seen before. Around his neck he wore a necklace made of a thick thread from which hung a grenade pin. Almost his entire body, from what she could see, was covered in tattoos. A dragon like snake coiled around his neck and looked as if it was ready to swallow his head whole and his cracked lips had tiny script written across it in a language she couldn’t understand. Along his right shoulder stood a guardsman his weapon hanging loosely from bloody hands. Farther down on his forearm was a dagger wrapped in jagged wire. The tattoo on his hand was unrecognizable, as at some point in the old man’s life he’d been caught in a fire. On the other arm there was a visage of the reaper, one much like the Nightbringer though she doubted the man would know the history of the icon other than it was the symbol of death. A great syringe inside which was a naked dancer covered the rest of his arm. The palm of his hand was inked with a krak grenade and on his fingers were single characters which read K-I-L-L. On the left side of his chest the man had his ribs outlined and colored and on the right he had the organs done. The detail of every tattoo was as such that she truly believed that if she were to touch the kidneys it’d twitch.

“I didn’t know we were letting little girls in.” He commented as he returned his attention to the front of the Cathedral. His voice was raspy, almost as if he was gasping for breath.

“It was a spur of the moment thing.” She replied.

The man nodded his head as if he understood completely. “They usually are.”

“How long have you been in?” She ventured.

The man let out a chuckle. “Let’s see got in back in 55 and it’s what 08 now? So fifty-nine years.”

The number didn’t sound exactly right and she quickly did the math in her head. “Actually that’s fifty-three.” She corrected.

“Whatever, kid either way it’s been a while. And you? How long have you been around?”

“Almost three months now.” She replied. “By the way I’m Catherine not kid.”

The man gave her an ‘I don’t give a amphetamine parrot look’. “Name’s Epistle.” He spoke holding out his hand. She took it warily and was surprised by the gentleness of his touch. Maybe he was like Kirin she mused.

The two of them chatted for a while, exchanging a few stories of their lives so far. He told her a little about the beginnings of Zmey чорний, how they’d started out as special operations, were switched to a police force and then evolved later into a paramilitary that openly opposed the government.  He told her about his first crew, a five man unit that was completely wiped out during the Eldar war of 83 and how they’d gotten back at the pointy eared bastards by detonating a nuke inside their mother ship. Epistle talked at length about the likelihood of each successor candidate and pointed out that the most likely successor to Mathias would be one of the first generation men like himself or another. Catherine listened intently to the man talk but every once in a while her eyes would drift over to Naves and the man took notice. He asked her what was up and she’d responded by telling him there was a certain person she was interested in.

“Catherine!” A man called out, interrupting her and Epistle’s conversation and aggravated she turned to see Cyrillic leaning outside the staircase.

He motioned for her to come over and she excused herself. As she did she noticed Cyrillic give her newfound friend the slightest of nods. Grudgingly she walked over to the waiting man who instructed her to head upstairs. She didn’t particularly feel like arguing so she ascended without complaint and Cyrillic in tow.

The second floor was much like the first, made from marble and filled with pews. The floor however hung over the main aisle and afforded a far better view than from down below. Catherine stopped at the top of the stairs to locate any familiar faces and as she did Cyrillic brushed past and tugged at her sleeve. He walked a short distance before taking a seat next to two exhausted soldiers one of which cradled a long object wrapped securely in cloth.

“This is Brandis and this is Vaughan.” He’d introduced once she’d taken her seat next to him.

Neither man deigned to acknowledge her existence, tired as they were, until Cyrillic kicked them both in the shins. Obviously pissed off at being awoken the two sat up in their seats and Cyrillic reintroduced them.

“Nice to meet you.” The man called Vaughan had greeted through a yawn. He had a nasty scar around his eye that looked as if the skin had been removed but if it bothered him he didn’t show it. The next man, Brandis was slightly more upbeat but still looked as if he’d been awake for days on end.

“What happened to you two?” She’d asked when pleasentries were out of the way.

Brandis gave Vaughan an odd glance and they began to tell their tale.

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline Ruukil

• lemons are only sour when you eat them.
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2008, 07:24:03 PM »
damn your good at this....its hard to keep up! this story should be between two covers.
Quote from: KOTOR
Ruukil:Are you the herald of prophecy?The beacon to guild us through the darkness? or are you merely another harbinger of shattered dreams and unfulfilled promises?
Carth:Be careful, this one might be crazy enough to be dangerous.
Ruukil:Speak to me up-worlder!Tell me what fate you unleash upon us- salvation or damnation!Speak,up-worlder- I beg you!
Asmman:What the beslubber are you talking about!?!
Ruukil:a question.yur' uncertain.bewildere d.perplexed.underst andable...

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »
Thanks for the comments as always!  :)

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline 666_Mutley_666

« Reply #114 on: February 29, 2008, 04:11:51 AM »
very good as useal, but the start of the post did drag on a bit ...
oink is a nancy!

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
« Reply #115 on: February 29, 2008, 04:22:51 AM »
yeah i know, i was kind of strugglin with that one. Bout to post the lastest chapter in about three minutes so keep an eye out.

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline 666_Mutley_666

« Reply #116 on: February 29, 2008, 04:32:21 AM »
what last chapter, ur not aloud to finish. you got to keep going on :)
oink is a nancy!

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
The Mission Part I
« Reply #117 on: February 29, 2008, 04:37:36 AM »
Give Peace A Chance is copyrighted by John Lennon/ Get Crunk is copyrighted by Lil Jon

The Mission

It was night in the dusty plains of Sicher’s Plateau, far to the north of Linthicum. Cold winds blew fiercely across the desolate land, creating storms of dust that were as effective as any downpour or heavy fog.  For as far as the eye could see, which wasn’t far, there was nothing but barren land. The sand was a dark red interlaced with splotches of black, a cousin of the Wastes down south. Unlike the Wastes however, Sicher’s had living plant life, though the only flora was the occasional colony of hardy shrubs whose brittle branches swayed madly in the wind constant wind. Animal life was limited to the small reptiles that nested in between the shrubs spindly trunks and the mutated vultures and Threnodies that fed on them. Neciea were also present, though in the winter months they were far less likely to show their locust like visages save to devour the random creature or man that strayed into their underground lairs.

One such Threnody, an infant, stood alone in the darkness above a rotted carcass. Harsh winds battered against its scaly hide but the creature didn’t mind, content as it was gnawing placidly on the bones of another of its kind, overcome by old age. The creature was rooting around with its snout in the carcass for a large bone with which to chew upon when a distant roar snapped its head up. The Threnody stared out with serpent’s eyes in the direction of the rumble which seemed to be closing with every passing second.  Letting out a short growl the Threnody turned to face the sound and prepared to defend its meal. The roar grew and grew until two white dots of light became visible. Its jaw clenched as the creature was bathed in light and its sickle claws were twitched anxiously. Over the roar the Threnody could make out an odd rhythmetic sound, not unlike its own mating call.

“…Well get crunk, snake on a plane, get crunk, east side nigga Uh get crunk, snake on a plane, get crunk, west side nigga Uh get crunk, snake on a plane, get crunk, north side nigga…”

Knowing that the trespasser in its territory was most likely a large female but hoping against hope that it would deem itself worthy for mating, the Threnody bounded off into the darkness just as a truck emerged from the swirling sand.
‹•›

“What the hell…?” Vaughan whispered as a terrible roar reached his ears over the engine and the blaring music. He turned to look at Brandis who was staring wide-eyed and open mouthed out the front window.

“Brake!” He cried when he saw something emerge from the swirling dust.

Vaughan ignored his passenger’s advice and gunned the engine. Half a second later he glimpsed a reptilian animal charging blindly into their headlights before it disappeared underneath the truck with a meaty thud that shook the cabin violently. Still, despite the collision with a hundred and fifty pound creature made entirely of steely muscle and toughened bone, the truck continued uncaringly on into the dusty night.

“Truck beats bug.” He said obviously satisfied with the crushing of the plateaus’ wildlife.

Brandis glanced over to his chaos worshipping driver. “You’re an idiot.” He spoke whilst shaking his head.
   Though relatively unscathed by the impact the truck did not continue for soon after crushing the animal a long and terrible wail of pain reached their ears from beneath their leather seats. The two men exchanged knowing glances and with a sigh Vaughan brought the truck to a halt. He shut off the engine and pocketed the keys. Brandis fished a flashlight from the passenger compartment exited. Clutching a high powered assault rifle close to his chest Vaughan stepped out of the warm cabin and into the chilly night.

Outside Vaughan took a few steps and found himself alone in the endless expanse. The truck that was barely two feet from him was nearly obscured by the grains of sand carried by bitterly cold winds.  He took a hand from the barrel of his rifle and covered his eyes as a beam of light burst into life and illuminated his feet.

“Is it down there?” Vaughan asked knowing full well the answer. The creature was mewling and growling like crazy and showed no sign of letting up. Setting his rifle against the truck Vaughan knelt down and peered underneath the truck. Brandis stared back at him whilst trying to doge a wickedly shaped claw that kicked out at him every few seconds.

“Looks like one of its claws is stuck up in there.” He grunted as he tapped the creature’s scaly hide. “I’ll put a round in its dome and we can pull it out.” He finished as he pulled out his piece and leveled it at the creature’s crying maw.

“Wait, stop.” Vaughan started. “You can’t kill it.”

Brandis rolled his eyes. “Why not, Vaughan?”   

“Cause you can’t.” He replied impertinently as he tried to determine how to best dislodge the Threnody without endangering himself.

The creature’s front right limb was caught in the top of the engine. Deftly he lowered himself on his belly and crawled underneath the car. Brandis scoffed at the suicidal behavior, ‘when it bites off your damn face’ he muttered. Vaughan ignored him and stopped just outside the creatures reach. The Threnody had ceased its cries of pain and reverted to threatening growls when it realized something large was bearing down upon it. I’ll have to be careful, he thought as he reached out for the limb. Just because he didn’t feel like killing the creature didn’t mean he wanted to afford the creature a chance to kill him. Cautiously he extended his hand, pulling it back as the Threnody lashed out with its sickle claw and then reaching forth to apprehend the attacking limb. The night was cold but sweat still ran down Vaughan’s neck.

“Alright I got one of its legs.” He announced.

The leg, steely and long thrashed violently in his grip and the canine head made deep rumblings, threats of harm to come. Keeping his grip on the other leg firm he reached out to take hold the other as Brandis moved to secure the main body. Gently, Vaughan tugged on the stuck leg and much too both men’s surprise the limb came free. The threnody realizing that it had use of its limb again lashed out at Vaughan causing him to release his hold while he pushed himself back with his arms. The creature let out a vicious roar and dragged Brandis underneath the car until he was forced to let go. The Threnody howled again and began clawing its way out from underneath the car, straight towards Vaughan.

“Now you can shoot it!” He cried as he felt dagger like claws dig into his back.

‹•›

“…and that’s why we don’t beslubber around with animals.” Brandis spoke wryly.
Vaughan was too busy steadying himself in the bouncing vehicle and bandaging his back with white gauze pads to pay the Nord any mind. Deep gouges had been dug out of his back when the creature ran over him and though he wasn’t about to tell his rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean? squad mate part of his ass had been…damaged. Earlier back under the truck he’d thought his life was about to end in one of the more messily ways possible. He imagined the creature’s teeth bearing down on his skull, crushing it whilst straining to remove it from the rest of his body. Fortunately the creature seemed uninterested in fighting two wildly shouting human beings and had instead crawled rapidly over him before disappearing into the night. Silently he muttered a prayer of thanks to Tzneetch for having allowed him to witness another morning.

“I mean there’s just something generally wrong about trying to rescue the dominant predator on the planet…” Brandis continued.

That was perhaps speaking too soon, he realized. Morning was still several hours off and the Lord of Change was nothing if not capricious. Silently he added an oath to not put himself in harm’s way any more than was necessary. Thinking of his chaotic patrons he inadvertently reached up to caress the tender flesh where his eight-pointed star had once been. He resented being forced to remove the tattoo but understood the reasoning behind it. After all it wouldn’t do anyone any good if the Space Marines, holy though they may be, were to find out there were chaos worshippers in the ranks of Zmey чорний. Actually he was the only chaos worshipper, so far as he knew, as his sincere attempts at introducing others to his beliefs generally ended up with his sanity being questioned. Such was the life of a true believer.

It was Cyrillic who’d ordered his mark removed; the day after Sven had bombed the Marine’s camp. He’d managed to put the deed off for a good while and it wasn’t until just after Irminsul that Naves had taken a scalpel to his face and removed the tattoo. Personally he’d been hoping to dig up a cosmetic surgeon to do the job but two months later Cyrillic felt he’d been disobeyed and decided punishment was in order. For three hours Naves had stood over him, his face inches from his, gently slicing away. Truthfully Vaughan hadn’t minded the proximity of the guy so much, despite that he was gay, as he did the removal of his sacred icon. That had been a gift from Brother-Larago of the chaos legions in recognition for saving his life, so many years ago, long before his conscription into Zmey чорний, back when he was proudly serving the legions of chaos. Fortunately he’d not been forced to be rid of the flesh itself and he kept it in a tiny leather-bound satchel at his waist.

“Vaughan, amphetamine parrot for brains, you listening to me?”

“What?” He said awakening from his reverie.

“Where the beslubber are we headed?”

Vaughan paused in his bandaging to pick up a glowing GPS device that was lying on the cabin floor. His back ached as he reached down and streams of blood trickled from the animal’s gouges. He pressed a few buttons and the screen zoomed in on a grid that showed a single building out in the midst of nowhere. He scrolled down a few grids and located a fast moving vehicle speeding upwards. Between the truck and the building there weren’t that many grids left.

“Seer. Old man Bonnaro.” He said setting the GPS on the dashboard.

“Who the beslubber is that?”

“Seer, he predicts the future and amphetamine parrot.”

“What do we need him for?”

Vaughan shifted in his seat to better regard his driver. “Cyrillic didn’t tell you?”

Brandis shook his head. “Nah he told me to pick you up and that you’d know all the details. Told me to listen to you and we’d be good.”

“Really, he said that?” Vaughan asked, slightly confused his be-atch of an overseer had praised him.

“Yeah.”

“Huh.”

A tiny ping emanated from the GPS device and Vaughan picked it back up. He consulted the glowing screen to see that the two objects were in the same grid and was fast closing. Only a few hundred feet left separating the two. Brandis glanced over and Vaughan motioned for him to keep driving. He nodded and Vaughan felt the engine lurch a little as it sped up. Forgetting his wounds, past and present, Vaughan pulled his black blouse over his bare body and took hold his rifle. Deftly he checked that the weapon was loaded and ready and seeing that it was, attached a sling and threw it over his shoulder. Just as he finished Brandis brought the truck to a sudden halt, jolting both men a few inches off their seats. The truck skidded over the uppermost layer of dirt before coming to a halt in front of an abandoned house.

“This it?” Brandis asked.

Vaughan nodded his head and switched the safety off.

“Anything I should know about?”

“Just follow my lead.”

Vaughan stepped out of the car for the second time that night and gazed up at the dark figure that loomed above him. The figure was an office building, originally constructed by Connex as a workplace for upper management types who were to oversee, officially, the construction of roads that were supposedly soon to follow. The two men had driven along those roads which had come up about thirty miles short of their destination. Unofficially however, the place had been a front for an R&D lab that had the Mechanicus discovered it, if of course they ever came back to Kiev, would have thrown a serious fit over. Hundreds of meters beneath the surface Connex had been dabbling in AI research and it was rumored, discovered several interesting facts about the so called ‘machine spirit’. Fortunately for the Mechanicus research had abruptly stopped back in 55 and the building was abandoned. Now seventy years and dusty abuse later the three story Connex research lab was in disrepair. Every window had been shattered, the entrance doors knocked down, and the halls unlit. Below the surface however the labs were probably in the same state as they had been when first abandoned but no one knew how to access the vaults that led down to them. Few actually knew this of course, Zmey чорний and by extension Vaughan and Brandis, who were not around during a time when companies weren’t state run, least of all. Fortunately the two men’s duties didn’t require them to travel into the AI’s realm. Their quarry was upstairs.

Vaughan heard footsteps and turned to see Brandis had joined him at his side. Like him he was garbed in black fatigues and his rifle hung from a similarly black strap. The baby-faced Nord looked at him, winked and began walking towards the building. Vaughan listened to the sound of boots scuffling against dirt for a few seconds and then hurried to join him.

The two men stepped cautiously through the frames of the broken glass doors, rifles at the ready and into the lobby. The place was almost pitch black but Vaughan could just make out a reception desk and to the right of that a flight of stairs that would take them upwards. With quick hand gestures he instructed Brandis to head up them. He complied swiveling his rifle round and making for the stairs as silently as possible. Stealth was of the essence for if any meandering animals of the predatory kind were around they’d not want to alert it to their presence. Hindering them was the floor covered in debris but both were trained in night movement and they managed to cross the floor with a minimum of noise.

Vaughan found the dark unsettling. As he climbed the stairs he fancied he could hear the sharp clicking of a Threnody claw against concrete. Sweat poured down his neck and he uttered a prayer to Khorne that his reflexes be quick and his aim true. Had one of those reptilian animals broken in and devoured Bonnaro? He couldn’t be sure so he continued on. They continued their ascent until they reached a broken door hanging off its hinges that allowed access to the third floor.  By then the clicking sound, while still barely audible, seemed to beat like wild drums in both men’s ears. Slowly Vaughan motioned for Brandis to get behind him and the Nord happily complied. Mustering every bit of composure he could Vaughan stepped through the doorway and into an office proper. He strained his eyes barely making out the vertical forms of columns and a few tables scattered around.

Vaughan heard air exhale and he glared back at Brandis. The Nord gestured his apologies and letting out a silent breath he delved deeper into the room. Shadows formed and the clicking grew louder as he went in. Then Vaughan’s boot made the slightest of crunches and the clicking stopped. Both men froze, unwilling to move lest they give away their position completely. For several agonizingly long seconds the two listened for the tell-tale click. Once those few seconds of agony had passed Vaughan risked moving his head. Off to his left was the outline of a door and to the right was open space. In front of them led to the shattered windows that should a Threnody give chase they could jump out of.

Vaughan heard a whisper, near non-existent. “Here?” Brandis asked.

He nodded his head when a voice deep and relatively ear shattering spoke, “The Null Kin-

“AHHHH!”

BANGBANGBANGBANGBAN GBANGBANGBANGBANGBA NGBANGBANGBANG!

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
The Mission Part II
« Reply #118 on: February 29, 2008, 04:38:09 AM »
The deserted office lit up as both men unloaded their rifles into the room from whence the noise came. A terrible scream erupted as ferrocrete walls exploded in great showers of gravel as they continued to fire until their rifles were empty. 

Click. Click. Click.

Vaughan realized his rifle was empty and lowered it.

“Flashlight.” He spat as quickly as his heart beat.

Brandis fished the object out of his pocket and turned it on bathing their latest act of violence in intense white light. The walls were completely destroyed and a man who’d apparently been sitting cross-legged on the floor was perforated.

“He’s a seer?” Brandis asked as he walked up to Vaughan.

“Yeah.” He confirmed.

Brandis looked over at him, his breathing still in the hyperventilating stage. “Think he saw that coming?”
   “Doesn’t look like-

Suddenly the corpse spat up blood. Bonnaro was still alive! But for how long Vaughan thought as he rushed to the seer’s side. Brandis remained where he was.

“Bonnaro!” Vaughan cried. “amphetamine parrot we’re sorry we thought you were a beslubbering Threnody.” He put his hand on the seer’s bloody chest.

“Don’t beslubbering touch me!” Bonnaro cried.

Vaughan immediately pulled his hand back. “Sorry.”

“You…beslubbering shot…me!” The seer managed.

“beslubber Bonnaro you came out of nowhere!” He retorted.

“I was sitting on the beslubbering ground!” He cried. “Oh amphetamine parrot I’m dying.”

‘No wonder you’re a seer.’ Brandis thought but didn’t say.

Vaughan looked down at the Seer’s bullet ridden body and knew the man’s words would be close to his last. He just had to make sure his last words told him the location of the sword.    

“Bannoro I know and I’m sorry but listen, man I have to know, where’s the sword?”

“beslubber you!” The seer replied.

“Bannoro I need to know! This amphetamine parrot is extremely, very, super beslubbering important and I need to know where the Yhwh-condemned sword is!” Vaughan exclaimed.

Even in his near death state Bannoro could see the rage in the blank’s dark eyes. Mustering the last of his will he lifted his hand and pointed towards a leather satchel hanging on a broken desk before it collapsed and he shut his blind eyes forever. Vaughan gave his thanks to the dead seer and uttered a prayer to Khorne that he might claim his blood and his skull. As he did he remembered his prayer of heightened reflexes and thinking better of it committed the man’s soul to Slaanesh in the hopes she’d take him into her loving embrace. The dead taken care of Vaughan went to the table and retrieved the satchel. He opened it to find it filled with maps and other documents. He snatched the flashlight from Brandis and leafed through them until he found what he was looking for; a grid map titled Roland that revealed the location of the sword. As it were it was to the west of them in the small town of Jeer, almost a hundred miles away.

Having determined the location of the sword Vaughan packed the map and documents away and swung the satchel over his shoulder. He stood up and turned to leave Brandis in tow. They stepped out of the room and into the office proper when they heard a tell-tale click of claw against concrete. Both men looked at each other and Vaughan flashed the light against Bannoro; his hands were empty. Slowly the light crept towards the third floor entrance. Standing in the door way was a massive Threnody, its massive jaw slightly open revealing teeth as long as Brandis’ hand. In unison they brought their rifles up and pulled the trigger.
Click. Click.

“Forgot…to…reload.” Brandis muttered.

Click. The Threnodies claw nicked the concrete.

Vaughan stared at the creature, his every muscle tensed. “THREE!” He screamed as he dashed for the window exit. The Threnody let out a tooth rattling roar as it set off. Brandis seeing his comrade leaving sprinted after him. Behind him the Threnody was giving chase and already it had halved the distance between them. The reptile let out another roar and Brandis ran faster, he could feel hot breath against his back. Only a few more feet he told himself.

The Threnody knew it was in range of it prey and opened its dagger laced maw. It lunged forward snapping its jaw shut just as the food thing disappeared from in front of it. The beast it was hunting let out a terrible wail and it became aware that cool air was racing across its skin. With a loud crunch the Threnody hit the ground below.
Brandis saw the creature land on the ground close beside him but didn’t wait for it to regain its bearings. His body hurt from the fall but he paid the pain no mind and as fast as his legs could take him he dashed around the side of the building and after Vaughan who was already close to the truck.

“What the beslubber happened to one and beslubbering two!” He called after the chaos worshipper as he watched him board and start the truck.

“Just hurry the beslubber up!” Vaughan screamed back.

Brandis risked looking back and saw that the Threnody had recovered itself. For one second their eyes locked and both knew the hunt wasn’t going to end until one of them was dead. Then with a beloved jarring he crashed into the side of the truck. He collapsed but only momentarily as he realized the Threnody was again closing the distance between them.

“Get the beslubber in!” Vaughan urged.

Not needing any more encouragement Brandis shot up, ran round to the passenger side, and threw himself in the truck. Vaughan watched his comrade board and once he’d made it half-way in he put the vehicle in reverse and slammed on the gas. The truck lurched backwards just as the Threnody jumped on top of the hood. The front of the truck sank low at the beast’s weight.

“Oh amphetamine parrot!” Vaughan screamed as he threw himself into the back of the truck just as the Threnody’s massive head crashed through the windshield. Barely a foot away from the toothy snout Brandis screamed and pissed himself. Fortunately the Threnody was too intent on Vaughan to pay the screaming man any notice and with a violent grunt of effort it tried to force its way through the cracked windshield. Vaughan who was frantically reloading his rifle watched in horror as the roof began to peel back towards him. The Threnody let out a roar and Vaughan leveled his rifle at the beast and open fired. 5x56 rounds impacted the creature’s skin and it flinched back momentarily giving Vaughan time to dismount the vehicle. Brandis who saw what Vaughan was doing threw himself out of the car and reloaded. Together the two of them pumped round after round into the creature’s scaly body. The Threnody tried for both of them but it was firmly stuck in the frame of the car and after the third magazine was emptied directly into its head it finally expired.

Breathing hard Brandis turned to Vaughan. “See? That’s what happens when you save wildlife, they try to beslubbering eat you. So the next time you see a beslubbering bunny hopping around, run the beslubberer over.”

‹•›

“two, one two three four Ev'rybody's talking about Bagism, Madism, Dragism, Shagism, Ragism, Tagism
This-ism, that-ism ism ism ism All we are saying is give peace a chance All we are saying is give peace a chance…”
Vaughan beat his hand against the side of the truck in time with the music playing on the stereo. Behind them the sun was rising and he gave thanks to Tzneetch for allowing him to see the rising star even if it was obscured by dark gray clouds. Cool wind blew through his short hair and he glanced over to Brandis who was silently contemplating whatever a Nord like Brandis would contemplate while he drove. Between the two of them rested the massive corpse of the Threnody. Ironically the creature, dead, had been too much trouble than the live one had. Of course the infant hadn’t weighed two tons. Following in the great wisdom of the scholam of ‘beslubber its’ the two had left the corpse where it had died; and bled profusely over the seats, cabin floor, and anything else that might become stained. Dark blood sloshed around his boots as the truck bounded over the rough terrain.

“…its goin' great Everybody's talkin' bout'ministers, sinisters, banisters and canisters, bishops and fishops and rabbis and pop eyes, and byebye, byebyes…”

Vaughan glanced down at the satchel that rested in his pack and pulled out the map titled Roland. According to Roland the location of the sword was hidden in the sanctuary of a tiny chapel built over Xenos ruins. According to Cyrillic the sword was Xenos in nature as well, Eldar specifically. How he knew this was beyond him but he’d been told he’d know it when he saw it. The city that supposedly housed the chapel, Jeer, was still far off and he let out a long sigh as he rested his head against the twisted frame and fell asleep.

‹•›
Whizz…Thunk! Ping!

Vaughan awoke to screaming. Visibly upset that his sleep was disturbed he glanced over to Brandis who had his head ducked beneath the steering wheel and was shouting obscenities at somebody. In his lap was Roland. The car swerved to the left and Vaughan was thrown against the door. The dead Threnody went with him and momentarily pinned him until the vehicle corrected itself. 

“The hell’s going on?” He asked just as a las shot struck the vehicles frame and showered him in sparks.

“Now you’re beslubbering awake! We’ve been under fire for five beslubbering minutes!” Brandis screamed back. 

“What?” Vaughan said still disoriented.

“We’re in the city and we’re under beslubbering fire!” Brandis cried as more las shots impacted the vehicle and the meaty form of the Threnody.

Vaughan looked outside his nonexistent window to find that they were indeed in the town of Jeer. Unconsciously he was disappointed at the size of the place. The town consisted of one single block, the center of which was a small park shaped like a square. To the South a road ran long a strip mall and to the east were a series of abandoned townhouses. Off to the west there were a few state oriented buildings, a post office, power generators and the like. Off to the North, in front of them, was a chapel, worn and faded. Parked in front of the entrance were several vehicles behind which perhaps a dozen armed men were firing at them. He also noticed with some alarm that they were driving, at a dangerous speed, directly towards them.

“Brandis!” He shouted as their attacker’s cars grew large in the broken windshield.  He could see darting forms behind the cars.

“Hold on!” Brandis cried.

A moment later the truck crashed through the blockade and burst through the chapel doors.

Dust filled the air and Vaughan coughed on it as he stumbled from the truck. Blood ran freely from a large gnash on his head. His mind was reeling from the impact and his ears were ringing but he could still hear angry voices from outside the chapel. One of them rang closer than the rest and Vaughan looked up to see a man staggering towards him between pews. The man wore the bright colors of a Slaanesh cult and the brand upon his cheek confirmed it. In his arms the he cradled a tightly wrapped bundle from the tip of which protruded a glinting edge. The sword! He realized with a start. The man looked up to regard him and his mouth dropped just before Vaughan put a bullet in it.
Gunfire began to ripple through the chapel.

“Brandis we’ve got the sword!” Vaughan called out.

“What already?” He called back from the other side of the truck.

Vaughan ran over to the man and knelt beside him. Quickly he unwrapped the cloth and found an insanely exquisite sword the likes of which he’d never seen. It was also one of the bigger swords he’d ever seen. A pair of las shots screamed through the chapel and hit the broken altar at the front and Vaughan looked to see the Slaanesh worshippers trying to storm the chapel. Forgetting the elegant sword he leveled his rifle at the entrance and switched it to full auto.

BANGBANGBANGBANG!

The chapel was filled with the sound of gunfire. Vaughan’s first burst felled two men who collapsed limply to the floor. A shotgun round tore apart the pew in front of him, sending splinters deep into his chest and Vaughan fell to the ground. He crawled a few feet to the right and popped back up letting loose another burst at the entrance. As he did a body flung itself back into the cover of the entrance. Vaughan waited a moment for the target to reappear and when it did he put a bullet in the man’s chest that exploded his head.

“Oh beslubber!” Vaughan heard Brandis scream as a round object floated through the doorway. He heard the metallic object hit the ground with a high pitched ping! A half-second before he watched the same object fly back out the door.

The grenade exploded half-way through the entrance in a hail of broken rock and splintered wood. For the second time in five minutes the chapel was choked with dust.

“Get in the truck! Get in the beslubbering truck!” Vaughan heard Brandis screamed.

Vaughan turned and grabbed the sword, cloth and all and bounded for the battered truck. He jumped in just as the truck roared back into life. Beside him Brandis put the truck in reverse and slammed on the gas. The truck lurched backwards through the chapel doors and out into the daylight again. On both sides of the truck men were recuperating from the blast though an unlucky few who had been caught directly in it were scattered around the chapel’s porch. One man who lay on the ground managed to pull out his rifle and let loose a round that punctured the car door and ripped across Vaughan’s thigh. He responded by letting loose a burst into the man’s colorful chest.
Vaughan felt the truck shudder one more time as Brandis crashed it into the back of another vehicle before pulling onto the street and driving off. Stray rounds harassed them as they left the town and Brandis was hit in the shoulder as he drove but once they left it seemed that the Slaanesh worshippers weren’t going to pursue.  Vaughan muttered a prayer of thanks for that too.  Breathing a sigh of relief he glanced over at Brandis who despite his smoking shoulder was grinning wildly.

“Badass I tell ya! Badass!” He declared as he slammed his foot on the gas and the truck sped forwards.

Vaughan couldn’t bring himself to disagree and he leaned back in his bullet ridden seat. Letting out a long sigh he unwrapped the bundle in his lap and ran his fingers across the smooth blade.

Brandis who was looking over asked, “So why the hell does Cyrillic need that?”

“It’s a gift.” Vaughan replied. “For future allies.” At that he rewrapped the bundle and rested his hands upon it.

‹•›

Catherine glanced over to Cyrillic hoping to get some confirmation as to the authenticity of the two men’s story. Alas all she got was a weary shake of the head and an oath of truth from Brandis. True they did have the sword in their possession and they were pretty beat up but that could have happened in any manner of ways.

Suddenly she wished she’d brought Жалость along to keep her company and she excused herself quietly before getting up off the pew and heading towards the stairwell. She quickly hopped down the stairs and as she made for the doors spared a glance down the main aisle. The place was filling up, hundreds of faces had turned to thousands and even more were showing up every few minutes.  Apparently they’d arrived very early. With a grin she turned from the aisle and bounded towards the doorway, brushing past several black clad men as they were entering. Once outside she walked over to the parked Mikazi and opened the door.  Жалость, her reptilian pet scrambled out and began nipping at her thigh.

“Cut it out.” She spoke as she flicked its head and knelt down. “Come on you’re going to keep me company.”

‹•›

Жалость followed the blood screamer up the stony stairs and through the wide entrance. He snorted his displeasure as he realized he was attracting some of the taller creature’s attentions but the blood screamer urged him onwards. He followed hesitantly at first and then when he realized nothing was going to maul him he relaxed. He gazed round taking in the unusual gathering of the two-legged animals and sniffed the air. There was a myriad of smells to be had mostly of sweat but there was one that stood out from all the others. Жалость sniffed the air once more and let out a slight growl before running off down an aisle and up a flight of narrow stairs. Claws dug up wood as it tore through the confines and emerged onto another floor. He spotted his prey who was busy conversing with another of its kind and he charged letting out a bestial roar before clamping its jaws around his attacker’s leg.
“Ah What the beslubber!” Vaughan cried as the infant Threnody took its revenge. 

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
« Reply #119 on: February 29, 2008, 04:39:22 AM »
@666- Aye not the last chapter, not by far.
@666 and everyone else I'd appreciate if I could get some advan critiques on this one. Thanks in advance I'm off to bed!

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.