News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 pt - White Scars - Dual Battle Demi-Company + Armoured Task Force  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
** Edited Mar 26, to reflect army list used in game. **

So, this is my attempt to make maximum abuse of a Dual Demi-Company Gladius. For Kor'Sarro's free scout move for anything in a transport, the price difference to a basic Captain is a no-brainer. Trouble is, I'm 25 points over target. What do you think I should drop or change?

Kor'Sarro and the Chaplain each go with an assault squad. The Techmarine? I guess I don't know. Maybe retool a Tactical squad towards "assault" and have the Techie join them as a bully unit?

Battle Demi-Company A
125 - Kor'Sarro Khan: Master of the Hunt, Warlord Slayer, Moonfang [sword]
110 - Tactical Squad [5]: [Nothing]
 Razorback: Lascannon, Twin-Linked Plasma Gun
105 - Tactical Squad [5]: Meltagun
105 - Tactical Squad [5]: Grav Gun
 Razorback: Twin-Linked Assault Cannon
100 - Assault Squad [5]: 2x Flamer
105 - Devastator Squad [5]: Grav Cannon w/ Grav Amp
 Razorback: Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter

Battle Demi-Company B
90 - Chaplain:
110 - Tactical Squad [5]: Lascannon
105 - Tactical Squad [5]: Plasma Gun
105 - Tactical Squad [5]: Grav Gun
100 - Assault Squad [5]: 2x Flamer
105 - Devastator Squad [5]: Grav Cannon w/ Grav Amp
 Razorback: Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter

Armoured Task Force
65 - Techmarine:
65 - Whirlwind:
65 - Whirlwind:
65 - Whirlwind:

1525 - Total

So the overall strategy would be to place as many objectives as possible in the centre of the table. Deploy as close to centre as possible, and then scout onto those objectives. From there, circle up the wagons, shoot everything, get blasted out of the transports, continue shooting things. Towards the end of the game, if anything is still mobile, scoot it out towards non-central objectives. Hit and Run away from anything that tried to engage in melee, so that the shooting stuff plan can continue. Everything except the Whirlwinds are ObSec, so survival is the only real requirement.

But I've got to drop 25 points, so what do you think?

I wound up dropping a Lascannon from the first squad, and downgrading the Plasma gun to a Meltagun in the second. Techie joined the "Naked" squad.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:17:10 AM by Spectral Arbor »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Well, about the only place you *can* cut points is in weapon options in the squads. I'd say drop 1 lascannon and 1 flamer, as that would have the least impact overall. It's kinda a toss-up, though.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Hey, just noticed something: happened to be going through the rules for the Battle Company and discovered that you do, in fact, have to pay for any weapon upgrades to the Razorbacks (pg 112).

That puts you quite a bit over, as it happens, unless you dump all those weapons upgrades.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Err... You might want to recheck that math. They're 5 man squads. In the first case, 7 + 2 + [5.5] +2 - [5.5] = 11

I think I've decided to drop a Lascannon and trade a Plasmagun for a Meltagun to free the points. I'll add the Techie to the removed lascannon squad.

I haven't had a chance to try it out. Pneumonia weekend 1, driving to Lindsey with a friend so he could pick up a Jeep weekend 2, sick with fever... again... weekend 3.

Hopefully next weekend. He's got a second Wraith Knight and he's itching to try them both in a game. Hoping to do a loose battle report.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Ack. You're right. Got the grav cannon mixed with a lascannon. My bad.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
S'all good. I appreciate a response. :)

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Darn that's a scary list...  I wouldn't know what to do against it...  (also do you legit have all those Razorbacks and Whirlwinds?!)
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Oh, dear Emperor no! I've got a couple Rhinos, my buddy has a handful of Rhinos and Vindis and Predators and such, I've got my 6 or so IG tanks... My potential battle report would be full of backwards Chimera and the like. :)

This is mostly just a try it for the cerebral pleasure of seeing if it works.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Whether or not it works is going to be really dependent upon the opponent. Small elite lists (SM, Eldar, CSM) have pretty much got no good options unless mission favors them (Kill Points, some kind of Maelstrom randomness).

Big sledgehammer lists (Orks, Daemons, and Tau/IG depending on build and to a lesser extent) have the chance to out-kill you and still have enough units left to claim objectives or at least contest them. It would be a bloodbath of a game, though.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Well, he generally plays a CAD with Scatterbikes and Bike-Seer, with a WK and either a Wraith Host or an Aspect Host. I've just recently directed his attention to Warp Spiders and the results were unpleasant. :(

So to do the Double WK, he'll likely Go CAD [incl LoW] + Wraith Host. He likes his Scatterbikes. That unlocks two WK, which he wants to play.

So long as I can drop some of his Serpents and WK before they get into Stomp / D-Scythe range... while his scatterbikes sit back and pummel my Razors without any real response as they Jump-Shoot-Jump... I'm not sure how it will go. I've essentially got a bonus 36.7% points, but my units are all sub-optimal vs highly optimal choices. I'm interested in the outcome.

I've already decided to concede if the Kill Point mission is rolled. That just won't work. I'm intending to stack the centre with objectives, and try to outlast and then scoot-to-score late game with any vehicle that can still move. I expect my opponent will hold the JB back, thrust forwards with WK and Serp-WG, and then do the same scoot-to-score with his JB. My ObSec will already be central, while his will be on the edges. The drama will all be in the end turns, to see which of us guesses the end-game best.

Hope it's more exciting than it sounds right now. ;)

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: 1500 pt - White Scars - Dual Battle Demi-Company + Armoured Task Force
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 07:57:59 PM »
I think you'll fare well against that list. Scatter Bikes are nasty, but they'll mostly overkill units and you'll be able to swamp the objectives. I don't see the Wraith Knights lasting very long. Too many lascannons/grav.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 08:53:42 PM »
Still "nervous". I seldom play "high end" lists, as I prefer to play with models I own and my collection of Space Marines [while still literal head and shoulders above my Guardsmen] are just units I like the idea of, for the most part. Or that I have fun playing with.

I have 4 Dreadnoughts. And TH SS Terminators. And Legion of the Damned. The solution starts with admitting you have a problem, I guess.

So I'm not really sure what to do with a "High End" list, anymore. I've gotten used to the uphill, uncommon-win situation I'm in. LoL. I'm not sure if my ego could take a massive beating with a high end list vs another high end list. I don't know. I'm unusually invested in this upcoming game. Feels weird.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 09:47:50 PM »
I don't see a lot of clever going on in your list, frankly. The real question is when to disembark, but past there...it either works or it doesn't. He either has sufficient firepower to blow you off the objectives or his doesn't. Your job is primarily to not die or die as slowly as possible.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 06:52:09 AM »
I guess that's true.  :) Maybe that's what's got me wiggy. I'm not seeing anything that can really "recover" if plans go south. It really is as straight forward as it looks. There's no secret tech.

Hmmph. I think I was just trying to see the hidden dragon in it all, and when I couldn't I was bothered. Thanks Wyddr.