News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 Marines  (Read 1067 times)

Offline -Dark Fire-

• Previously Spear of Khaine
1000 Marines
« on: June 5, 2010, 06:15:54 AM »
So, being short on time and money I'm still looking to relight a bit of WH hobby over the summer, and have been going through the codexi making footslogging lists/min. vehicles. Here's Space Marines' go. The list may not be optimised but will only be for casual use. It seems to perfectly embody Codex Astartes lightning attacks. Sure having Shrike in low points isn't that fluffy but hey. Successor Raven Guard chapter, everything starts the game on the opponents side of the board - bar the Storm which will be held in reserve for claiming my own objective/mopping up late game. COmbi-melta on the cc scouts is a bit extravagant, but originally it was a Thunder Hammer on the Assault Marines and 5 points spare so hey. Obviously Shrike's with the Assault Marines for a bit of first turn charging.

HQ:

Shrike: The Raven’s Talons (195)

Troops:

10 Scouts: BP&CCW, Power Fist, Combi-melta (175)

10 Tactical Marines: Melta, Multi-Melta, Power Fist (235)
      Drop Pod

5 Scouts: Power Sword, Combi-Flamer (160)
                Land Speeder Storm: Heavy Flamer

Fast Attack:

10 Assault Marines: 2 Flamers, Power Fist (235)

Cheers for any replies.
'There is no art more beautiful and diverse as the art of death.'

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
Re: 1000 Marines
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2010, 07:17:19 AM »
Well, its a reasonable army for casual play. Keep in mind to keep the army together if possible. The Pod arrives in first turn and should be able to support the advance of the Assault Marines and the large Scout unit.

Offline -Dark Fire-

• Previously Spear of Khaine
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2010, 01:27:04 PM »
Just wondering:

1) Should the storm squad get a Fist for 1st turn vehicle hunting? Though I could change that between games anyway...
2) Do I need the flamers on the assault squad? They won't use them in their first turn charge... But should I keep them anyway?
'There is no art more beautiful and diverse as the art of death.'

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #3 on: June 7, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »
Just wondering:

1) Should the storm squad get a Fist for 1st turn vehicle hunting? Though I could change that between games anyway...

If you target a vehicle with your Scout Squad on Turn One, your Storm's Heavy Flamer isn't likely to have a target.  Plus, if your Sergeant is successful in destroying a tank, the entire squad plus Storm will be open to getting shot to pieces and/or assaulted on your opponent's following Turn.  If you have the squad target a MC/Dreadnought/HQ/Wraithlord/etc. that he needs the Powerfist for, the squad will likely be slaughtered before he gets to use it.  The same is likely to happen if that small 5-man squad targets an infantry squad while the Sergeant is toting a Powerfist.  You're better off keeping the Power Weapon and targeting an infantry squad with the Scouts/Storm.

2) Do I need the flamers on the assault squad? They won't use them in their first turn charge... But should I keep them anyway?

I'd keep them. ;)

I hope this helps.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.