News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k Heed The Wisdom Drop Pod Army  (Read 1279 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
2k Heed The Wisdom Drop Pod Army
« on: May 31, 2006, 07:42:37 PM »
Note 1 - I'm currently re-working these guys' fluff, but hopefully it'll be up soon.

Note 2 - You may recognise the name from my Codex: Steel Dragons thread, these guys are indeed the same army, although this is a far more legal way to represent them ;).

Note 3 - I have an obsession with creating fluff and lists, unfortunately I don't have the money to actually make them, although these guys are the army I have assembled the most (it kind of hit a brick wall due to how expensive the Drop Pods were...)

2k Steel Dragons

Traits
Advantages
~Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients
~Trust your Battle Brothers
Major Disadvantage
~Eye to Eye
Disadvantage
~Have Pride in your Colours

HQ
Nuncio, 'The Great Messenger', and Chief Librarian of the Steel Dragons
Epistolary
Veil of Time
Bolter
Iron Halo
Familiar
Purity Seals
Terminator Honours
True Grit & Counter-Attack
=185pts

Command Squad
8 Space Marines
2 Plasma Guns
Sergeant w/ Power Fist
Drop Pod
=224pts

HQ=409pts

Elites
The Exalted Brother Tybalt and 'The Dragon's Eye' & The Exalted Brother Chael and 'The Divine Guidance'
(x2) Dreadnought
Venerable
Twin-Linked Lascannon
Missile Launcher
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers
Drop Pod
=386pts (193/Dreadnought)

Elites=386pts

Troops
(x2) Tactical Squad
8 Space Marines
1 Meltagun
1 Multi-Melta
Sergeant w/ Power Fist
Drop Pod
=448pts (224/Unit)

(x2) Tactical Squad
8 Space Marines
1 Flamer
1 Heavy Bolter
Sergeant w/ Power Fist
Drop Pod
=430pts (215/Unit)

Troops=878pts

HS
The Exalter Brothers Orson and ‘The Steel Claw’ & The Exalted Brother Augustus and ‘The Saint Shield’
(x2) Dreadnought
Venerable
Extra Armour
Smoke Launchers
Drop Pod
=326pts (163/Dreadnought)

HS=326pts

Total=1999pts

Model Count=54 (9 Drop Pods, 4 Dreadnoughts and 41 Infantry)

Not my typical army, since I prefer lots of troops (my two other favourite home-made Chapters have model counts of 91 [I think] and 110), but I also love Dreads *hugs MK VII Forge World Venerable Dreadnoughts*.

Anyway, any suggestions, questions or comments welcome.

~MTWC
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Keeper of the Book of Salvation; Last of the Timelords
  • Ancient
  • Returned from the Immaterium
  • Armies: Deathwing
Re: 2k Heed The Wisdom Drop Pod Army
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 08:05:17 PM »
Nice list indeed.  Seems well rounded.  I don't know what to add really..the Libby needs Frags just in case. 
Quote from: David Holland
The Point of the Game is to be Playing it.

Quote from: Devern, The Unsung Hero
Actually, it pains me to say this, but Spiral is right.

Offline Ten Tigers

• Killer of Things
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:10:54 PM »
Sorry, but you got too much of the wrong stuff on your dreads.

Any Dread dropped on the heads of the emperor's enemies should be armed with Assault Cannons, Heavy Flamers, and the Dreadnought Close Combat Arm.

If they do their job when they land they shouldn't need smoke launchers.

At least in my opinion anyway...
I love a good fight...

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 08:20:30 PM »
I'm not sure about the weapon loads for your tactical squads. Any heavy weapons in the squads reduces the amount of firepower your pods can put out on the turn they land. The multimelta may be useful, but your opponent would have to be awfully nice to leave a squad standing somewhere where you can shoot both a flamer and a heavy bolter at it.

If you're trying to fill points, melta bombs are probably better than purity seals.

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Keeper of the Book of Salvation; Last of the Timelords
  • Ancient
  • Returned from the Immaterium
  • Armies: Deathwing
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:27:21 PM »
Tank Hunting dreads are an amzing resource in my experience.  They can take down even heavily armored vehicles with no problem. 
Quote from: David Holland
The Point of the Game is to be Playing it.

Quote from: Devern, The Unsung Hero
Actually, it pains me to say this, but Spiral is right.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 08:38:56 PM »
the Libby needs Frags just in case. 

Why? They're a defensive squad with True Grit and Counter Attack, the Lib is there to provide soem solid counter-attacking at I-6 with possible re-rolls or insta-killing, the squad are not meant to charge.

Sorry, but you got too much of the wrong stuff on your dreads.

Any Dread dropped on the heads of the emperor's enemies should be armed with Assault Cannons, Heavy Flamers, and the Dreadnought Close Combat Arm.

I would rather have soem Long Range Firepower as well, who says you have to use Deepstrike to get as close as possible to your enemy afterall?

If they do their job when they land they shouldn't need smoke launchers.

At least in my opinion anyway...

Not really, unless you taske out all the long range anti-tank in a single turn (which is doubtful what with the pods all coming in randomly), besides, at only 3pts I fidn them a good 'just in case' investment.

I'm not sure about the weapon loads for your tactical squads. Any heavy weapons in the squads reduces the amount of firepower your pods can put out on the turn they land. The multimelta may be useful, but your opponent would have to be awfully nice to leave a squad standing somewhere where you can shoot both a flamer and a heavy bolter at it.

True, however I don't think that I'll be able to take out everythign within range on the turn they land, so the Heavy Weapons are there as a just in case, true, I loose out on 2 shots and an attack in CC, but the fact they can fire these Heavy Weapons the turn after they DS should at least encourage the eenmy to assault them, and SMurfs are a touhg mainstay unit, especially with True Grit, Counter Attack and a Power Fist wieldign Sergeant ;).

If you're trying to fill points, melta bombs are probably better than purity seals.

Purity Seals just seemed appropriate for a Chief Librarian and spiritual leader of the Chapter (Nuncio is the reason they started to ehavily use their Dreads), and I dislike Melta's on Characters, a personal thing really.

~MTWC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Ten Tigers

• Killer of Things
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 09:35:42 PM »

I would rather have soem Long Range Firepower as well, who says you have to use Deepstrike to get as close as possible to your enemy afterall?

Then why bother with drop pods? 30 points buys you a Space Marine with a Lascannon.

Not really, unless you taske out all the long range anti-tank in a single turn (which is doubtful what with the pods all coming in randomly), besides, at only 3pts I fidn them a good 'just in case' investment.

That's the problem with hybrid drop armies, they rely WAY too much on chance.

You have an army of ill-equiped Marines waiting on Dreads that may or may not show up and that might not even be able to bail them out.

This list is way too risky and ineffective.

The thing that will keep your drop troops alive is the ability to wipe out at LEAST half of what they are shooting at. If you did your job right the enemy should be running from you and into cover, not assaulting.

Speaking of which, you would be better off giving your Vets Power Weapons instead of fists. Thats a far better insurance policy against being assaulted. Not many troops will get the drop on an I4 model in the assault phase especially after being decimated by a shooting phase.
I love a good fight...

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 09:45:54 PM »
Then why bother with drop pods? 30 points buys you a Space Marine with a Lascannon.

Theme, and the Heavy Weapons are cheap backup, I alreayd have a massed Heavy Weapons army list ;).

However I may drop the Heavy Weapons, not sure waht I'd do with the points though...

That's the problem with hybrid drop armies, they rely WAY too much on chance.

I know, that is why the squads are defensive rather than offensive, I had originally gone with Cleanse and Pufiy instead of TYBB, however that leaves them open to counter-attack, and an extra Special Weapon will hardly make the difference if you get decimated in CC due to having only a single attack.

You have an army of ill-equiped Marines waiting on Dreads that may or may not show up and that might not even be able to bail them out.

As I said, that's why they're defensive, not offensive. I had considered giving Nuncia Fear of the Darkness too, as that'd help scatter enemeies on landing, and give the units time to consolidate, it may be a worthwile use for the points I could possible make by dropping the Heavy Weapons...

This list is way too risky and ineffective.

I am not someone who typically plays to win, I make lists and fluff for the fun of creating something, if it means I'm not 100% effiecient then I'm fine with that :).

The thing that will keep your drop troops alive is the ability to wipe out at LEAST half of what they are shooting at. If you did your job right the enemy should be running from you and into cover, not assaulting.

TYBB is in case they assault, if they run for cover that gives the Marines time to pepare the Heavy Weapons, which also works to their advantage.

Speaking of which, you would be better off giving your Vets Power Weapons instead of fists. Thats a far better insurance policy against being assaulted. Not many troops will get the drop on an I4 model in the assault phase especially after being decimated by a shooting phase.

Hmmm, I'd rather stick with Fisst, at least for most of the squads, as it means they'll all be able to take out any pesky Lords/Dreads/etc. that run into them into CC, as you said, they may not have the support capable of dealing with these threats, so without the Fists they can't take them out, and with the 'Hidden Powerfist' ideal, he should still be able to strike in most cases.

Thanks for your comments :).

~MTWC
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 09:47:36 PM by - Iain - Your New Evil Dictator »

Offline Ten Tigers

• Killer of Things
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 10:23:34 PM »
No sweat.

Fluff armies are sweet. I posted a theme army here once called "The Fire Department."

They ultimately would have gotten their arses handed to them but they threatened the Battle Sisters in fielded flamers. I thought the Fire Engine Red w/Danger Yellow & Black stripes for trim was a nice touch.

However mine was more of a joke army.
I love a good fight...

Offline DrewTheBlack

« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2006, 03:32:08 AM »
Drop All hvy weapons from the Tact Sq and take metlaguns

You also need the "Take the fight to them trait" when landed your bolters fire twice the same as the bolt pistol, next turn you are close enough to charge and with bolt pistols you get 1 shot each before you engage in assault.

about the dread thing said eariler a true marine drop army should only have assault cannon welding dreads

One thing you must remember your pod you you want cannot land more then 12" from the enemy making assault forces great
AND
Drop pods block line of sight giving your troops cover from a Dev sq for example) next turn you move round and engage a Hvy sq squad with an assault squad, that means no more hvy weap squad. will also stop the hvy sq firing on the dreads

whats good at 12"
Melta gun (next turn your within 6" to fire at str8+2d6)
Bolt pistol
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Gun (remebering you can't charge if fired, making the pistol better for an assault unit)
Flamers
Bolter (at 12" bolt pistol is better as you can charge as well, with +1 attack)
Power weapons
Assaulting CC units

Most important rule of Drop pods DONT FORGET THE STORM BOLTER ON THE POD.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2006, 03:34:00 AM by DrewTheBlack »
And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting. On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming. And the lamplight o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor Shall be lifted---
nevermore!

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: June 6, 2006, 07:01:24 AM »
They aren't a CC army so 'Take The Fight To Them' is out of the question. I chose TYBB simple because it's nice and defensive. Sure, you can double-tap Bolt Pistols too, but with True Grit I also get the option of moving and double taping, as well as not moving and shooting at max range.

I also have no idea what you mean by the Drop Pods can't be more than 12", they can DS anywhere on the field...

I will likely be dropping the Heavy Weapons, not sure exactly what I'll do with the points, but I shoiuld have a new list up soon-ish.

~MTWC

Offline DrewTheBlack

« Reply #11 on: June 6, 2006, 08:27:03 AM »
I also have no idea what you mean by the Drop Pods can't be more than 12", they can DS anywhere on the field...

sorry was at work when i wrote this and had to be quick

what i was try to say
when landing pods using a CC army you target an area as close to the enemy as you can, if you don't roll a hit you will then roll a scatter dice of 2d6, meaning you will be within charge 12"
sorry for the confusion

I have been using drop pods since the marine codex came out and started using the same trait (all my models had bolters), every game i played i needed to engage the enemy in CC so they didn't shoot me to peices so the 24" bolter range was never used.
The problem with drop pods is your force does not all come at once (unless your really lucky). Your then fighting the entire enemy force with what landed first (sometimes only i squad by 2nd turn). if you are wanting to fire those bolters at 24" you will also come under fire of any 24" ranged enemy fire and alot more of it.
The only way i found was to engage the enemy in close combat which prevents the enemy unit from shooting and prevents all over enemy units from shooting me. This tactic needs lots of CC attacks (hence "take the fight to them") as with taking pods you lose points. (30pts buys 2 marines),
but i still think pods are better rhinos

personaly since the Black templars came out its made my Drop poding heaps easier as its a very CC army
And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting. On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming. And the lamplight o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor Shall be lifted---
nevermore!

Offline Craftworld Altansar

« Reply #12 on: June 6, 2006, 08:34:24 AM »
if you want cheap drop pods then check out 

www.thewarstore.com

look on the main page for a picture of a red troop lander
it only costs 20 bucks and is an unpainted wooden kit
if u jsut add some brass etch and bits, it makes a perfect drop pod
my armies:

eldar - 2000 pt mech
Uruk Hai - 750 pt
WFB wood elves - 1500 pt
Space marines - soon to be 1000 pt drop pod

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: June 6, 2006, 08:59:05 AM »
Hmmm, I do see where you are comign from now, although I do not change the fluff to fit the list, so I may just not use Drop Pods and find some other way to sort the army out...

Anyway, thanks for your posts, they have been most helpful, especially as I have not had the chance to use Drop Pods yet :).

~MTWC

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: June 6, 2006, 10:15:58 AM »
You also need the "Take the fight to them trait" when landed your bolters fire twice the same as the bolt pistol, next turn you are close enough to charge and with bolt pistols you get 1 shot each before you engage in assault.

This is not correct. When a drop pod lands, the squad is considered to be moving, so bolt pistols can only fire once.

Offline DrewTheBlack

« Reply #15 on: June 6, 2006, 08:09:04 PM »
sorry once again,
1st turn pistols fire once
2nd trun they can fire 2x, or fire once and charge. even with the 2x fire from bolters on landing you still have to take on the whole enemy force with only a few units.

You could try a tactic of using the pods as cover for your dropping units can also use dreads as cover. by creating your own wall you can then take on parts of the enemy at a time
This could work if you play it right. you could also keep the "grip" trait with this tactic.
plus you could even use a fully outfitted Command sq or Vet Sq with CC weapons for some serious CC support.

don't give up on the drop pods they rock
nevermore!