News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Experimenting with Vulcan He'Stan in 1850 list  (Read 1221 times)

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
Experimenting with Vulcan He'Stan in 1850 list
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »
I'm going into my LGS today to play and wanted to experiment with Vulcan He'Stan, but without showing my opponents at the upcoming tournament what I intended to bring.  So, here is an experimental list.  Please tell me what you think.

HQ
  Captain Ulfilas, 'Counts As' Vulcan He'Stan
190 points

Troops
  Tactical Squad Xaris
    7x Bolters
    1x Flamer
    1x Multi-Melta
    Sgt Xaris w/ Powerfist and Combi-Flamer
    Rhino Regina
  240 points

Tactical Squad Gamaliel
    7x Bolters
    1x Flamer
    1x Multi-Melta
    Sgt Gamaliel w/ Powerfist and Storm Bolter
    Rhino Lo-ruhamah
  240 points

Tactical Squad Kyrie
    7x Bolters
    1x Melta Gun
    1x Plasma Cannon
    Sgt Kyrie w/ Powerfist and Combi-Flamer
    Razorback Eleison w/ T-L Heavy Bolters
  255 points

Tactical Squad Mosiah
    7x Bolters
    1x Melta Gun
    1x Missile Launcher
    Sgt Mosiah w/ Powerfist and Combi-Melta
    Rhino Boanerges
  245 points

Elites
  Dreadnought Alma
    2x T-L Autocannons
  125 points

Dreadnought Ammon
    Assault Cannon
    DCCW and Heavy Flamer
  125 points

Fast Attack
  Land Speeder Squadron Wrath of the Lamb
    2x Typhoon Missile Launchers and Heavy Bolters
  180 points

Heavy Support
  Vindicator G'Zeus
    Dozer Blade
  120 points

Predator Aceldama
    T-L Lascannon turret
    2x Heavy Bolter side sponsons
  130 points

Total points = 1850

I do enjoy running highly mechanized lists, which this is.  However, I have included four full Tactical Squads to provide me lots of scoring units and lots of weapons to benefit from Vulcan's special ability. (Note:  no Thunder Hammer Terminators are included in this list because I don't have any available to me.)  Tactical Squad Kyrie (with the Razorback) will Combat Squad and Vulcan will join Sgt Kyrie, the Melta Gunner, and three of the Bolter-toting Marines in the Razorback, while the Plasma Cannoneer and his four Bolter Marine guard find a good fire position in cover.

This list can form a gun-line against hords, or advance all units against an opponents' gun-line.

Thanks for your advice.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
Re: Experimenting with Vulcan He'Stan in 1850 list
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:17:18 AM »
I'd drop one Tactical and add an Elite unit that has more punch in cc, like Sternguard Veterans or Terminators.
The rest looks quite good.

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
How has the twin autocannon dred worked for you? Personally, I would drop both the dreds for an ironclad and or dakka pred.

Offline NewHeretic

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:34:05 AM »
I tried this list last night to disastrous effect.  I was absolutely slaughtered by my Daemon opponent (whom I beat last Saturday) and also lost to an Ork opponent.  I won't post Battle Reports this time because all of the pictures came out fuzzy.

@Wuestenfux:
  I hear you.  I really needed something with more fire-power than the Tactical Squads.  I put two Turns worth of shots from three different units into his Bloodcrusher squad and couldn't do more than killl one of them and wound the others.

@Paraplegic:
  It isn't working all that well.  I wanted to use the model because it looks so cool, but he doesn't have enough shots to do much against a hord unit, lacks the AP to hurt an Elite unit, and lacks the Strength in his guns to really threaten any vehicle other than Ork Trukks!  I don't think I'll continue to use that configuration of Dread weapons.

I made a serious mistake against the Daemons by disembaking all of my Tactical Squads to try to shoot up his first-turn units.  All I succeeded in accomplishing was killing his Daemon Prince.  Second turn, his Flamers started showing up.  My squads were packed so tightly, he scored 24 total Wounds on three squads with a single Flamer squad (three templates!).  Those things disallow not only Cover Saves, but also Armor Saves.  My Tactical Squads had no Invulnerable Saves, so they were pretty much decimated.  I'll have to learn to keep my units in their transports until those Flamers have been dealt with one way or another.

Against the Orks, I had horrible luck on the rolling on the vehicle Damage Results table.  My Vindicator rolled penetrating hits twice, then rolled ones each time to only Shake the target.  My Meltas Tempest Missile Launchers, and Autocannons did the same thing about eight times during the battle.  One mistake that cost me the tie was that I didn't think about assaulting his Battlewagon with my 2x T-L AutoCannon Dread after shooting at it on the last turn.  I forgot that I'd auto-hit it, attack it's rear AV of 10, and even a 6 strength would have a good chance of doing some damage with three attacks on the charge.

Vulcan's abilities helped me hit on several occassions, but they just didn't seem to make much of a difference.  However, I wouldn't have had any opportunities to use Combat Tactics in these games anyway, so who knows?

Oh, well.  That's what these games are all about: learning lessens now so that I don't have to learn them for the first time at the tournament.  ;)

Thanks for your suggestions fellas.  Looks like I'm back to the drawing board.
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

Offline Sanctjud, Holder of the Gold Medal in Pedolypics.

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:48:33 AM »
Heh, I think there's no need to experiment.  Adding to any Vulkan list with some thought to what he does for everyon in it, will work.

I will suggest one thing that a huge boner to the army:
Dread, Multi-melta, Hvy flamer, Pod.
Podding TL MM or TL hvy flamer, for only 150 points of sure to kill something you need to be dead.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline NewHeretic

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »
Thanks, Sanctjudd.  Looks like I'm going to have to either konvert or buy me one of those Dreads if I want to continue with this list.  :)

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:58:11 PM »
@Paraplegic:
  It isn't working all that well.  I wanted to use the model because it looks so cool, but he doesn't have enough shots to do much against a hord unit, lacks the AP to hurt an Elite unit, and lacks the Strength in his guns to really threaten any vehicle other than Ork Trukks!  I don't think I'll continue to use that configuration of Dread weapons.

We'll this unit has the limitations you mentioned but it is mainly designed to pop transports.  There isn't a unit out there better at stopping a serpent or other dangerously loaded transport early in a contest!

Vulcan's abilities helped me hit on several occasions, but they just didn't seem to make much of a difference.  However, I wouldn't have had any opportunities to use Combat Tactics in these games anyway, so who knows?

Your lists isn't set up to maximize his attributed benefits to the army.

Thanks, Sanctjudd.  Looks like I'm going to have to either konvert or buy me one of those Dreads if I want to continue with this list.  :)

It is in the black Reach set.  :)

I'll second Sanctjuds advice!

7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines