News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tech Support Thread  (Read 61957 times)

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
Re: Tech Support Thread
« Reply #220 on: April 9, 2010, 06:19:20 PM »
North America.

I've changed the security settings from WPA to WPA2, and that seems to have done the trick... :s
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #221 on: June 7, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »
*Blows dust away*

Ok, following problem. I recently bought myself a new Desktop PC with Win 7 Home Premium installed, from Dell. In addition to that i also ordered (also from Dell) a Belkin K7SF5D7050B (Version 3) WLan stick. I installed the drivers from the disc. Now my problems started. While it recognizes my Home Wlan, it simply refuses to connect. After trying to get it running by going through the troubleshooting options i downloaded updated drivers, that also mention win 7 as possible OS. Still not working. Then i took the stick and installed it on my old Desktop PC (from which i am typing right now) and it worked without problems. I also noticed, that on my old PC, there was also a service program installed to control the Wlan stick. No matter what i do, this program doesn't install on my win 7 PC, as it should be installed over the same setup exe as the drivers. On the old PC it does install it, on the new one it does not. Finally i visited the Belkin webside but didn't find any clue for my problem save for installing the new drivers, which i already did.

So year, i have a brand new PC downstairs and still have to work on my old one and i am starting to get fed up. Note that i am a win 7 newb, my new PC is the first contact i had with the OS and already i don't like it. Could there be some kind of win 7 firewall blocking the whole thing? I searched for one but couldn't find any. Help?! 

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #222 on: June 7, 2010, 03:16:52 PM »
I'm just getting into Windows Vista/7 myself.  That it doesn't recognize the embedded program may be a security feature; I have noticed on USB sticks that Vista ignores the proprietary software and accesses it directly like any other drive.

As for the networking I am stumped.  It seems that the network controls that are normally available are gone.  Are you trying to configure the network on an administrator or power user account?
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #223 on: June 7, 2010, 03:28:26 PM »
Just checked again, i am logged in via admin account. I might also add to my former post, that my old PC uses XP and i completly skipped vista, so i can not really compare win 7 to vista. I have found network controls, and even went so far as to manually create my WLan profile, but to no avail. Error messages, when trying to solve the problem range from "problems with network adapter" to "wrong password for Wlan (which is not the case)".

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Fire Chicken

• This is my well thought out and informative text
    • Help me win the war
« Reply #224 on: June 7, 2010, 09:27:40 PM »
Is your Win7 64 bit or 32?  This makes a big difference to the solution.

One step to try is run the USB program using "comparability" mode.  Right click it and it should be in the run options.  Try Win7 32 bit first if you can, then vista, then XP.  You want that order to make it work better.

Win7 works great when it works, better than Vista although Vista generally worked better n people think.  I suspect your running into a 64 bit problem and that is not really a Microsoft problem, we should have gone 64 bit long ago.

When I get home I will jam my stick into my Win7 PC and see what it says.  I only use it on my XP laptop.
If you can read this thank a teacher.
This is a very witty and amusing signature
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=185621.msg2275250#msg2275250

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #225 on: June 8, 2010, 01:27:38 AM »
Its the "home premium edition" and as such should be 64 bit.

How do i activate the comparability mode? As far as i have read, id have to download it first, which i might have to do anyway sooner or later.
Thanks for your effort  :)

Offline Fire Chicken

• Help me win the war
« Reply #226 on: June 8, 2010, 08:59:08 AM »
Um.. no.

Win 7 in all editions should come in a 64 and a 32 bit version.  You better check if yours is :)
Win7 ultimate comes with both every time, the others you have to chose or pay a bit more to get the other version mailed to you.

Compatibility mode is there right out of the box.  When you mouse over the program use the right click on it.  it will have run as admin and "trouble shoot compatibility" there.  Or right click, properties, then there is a tab just for compatibility.  There is everything there from admin, 256 colour to a pull down of previous win version.  Give it a shot and let us know.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #227 on: June 8, 2010, 01:09:36 PM »
Ok, its definetly 64 bit, just checked. I also tried  to run the setup programm with XP and Vista combatibility mode, with the net result, that the setup will start, but quit working once i click on "continue (the installation)". My DSL Router is a  Speedport W 700V if that helps. I start to suspect a firewall issue, but when trying to access the win firewall, it tells me, that this option is run by Mac affee, and when trying to start the ladder, it tells me it needs to connect to the internet to registrate before doing anything. I might soon test if my super new PC has an inbuilt antigrav unit as it sails out of the window...

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
« Reply #228 on: June 8, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
Did you download drivers or software for 64bit Win 7? While some things like games will install on 32 or 64 bit some programs like anti-virus need to be specific or they won't work at all. I noticed you also bought a Dell, did you buy it with all the Dell bells and whistles? Sometimes, makers like Dell or HP will have their software override the windows stuff. If that's the case, you'll need to either remove it, or use it. If you have tech support for Dell, I say give them a call if it's free.

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?

Offline Fire Chicken

• Help me win the war
« Reply #229 on: June 8, 2010, 08:44:57 PM »
You could try uninstalling McCrappy from the control panel, its still there, just called something different.  Then turn off windows firewall and try again.  It is probably the 64 bit and firewall interaction problem.

Dell support may help, stranger things have happened ;)

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #230 on: June 9, 2010, 01:29:13 AM »
Year i tried to call Dell support yesterday, and got the automatic answer "only working till 18.00", which gives me max 45 min to rush home from work, and get one of the techies on the line. I will see if i win the race today  :P

Also, i did download drivers for the WLan stick, version 3. something.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #231 on: June 9, 2010, 10:37:17 AM »
The version aka number of the driver doesn't matter so much as if they are designed for 64 bit operating systems. If possible, check the download link for notes saying it works with Win 7 64 bit. Worse case scenario, pm me the link to the download site and I can look for you.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #232 on: June 9, 2010, 12:59:44 PM »
Ok, 2 calls to 2 supportcenters  and an hour later:

First Dell Support:

He told me, that the problem might be due to my Wlan Router, as he has heard, that older Routers might have issues with the 64 bit system. And i should please call my internet Provider (which is T-Com)

T-Com Support:

First guy couldnt help me save for saying that the router is working. So he transfered me to another support department. Here i meet a really nice and helpfull guy, who checked anything he could think off with me, though i had already tried most of those things. At the end and over half an hour later, he also ran out of ideas. Some clues though:

The PC only tries to connect for a relative short time, hinting at a software problem. Also Win 7 already has drivers installed for the Belkin Wlan stick, which i never checked before i installed the drivers from the Disc. So there might be a conflict somewhere, though i have deinstalled the drivers again with the given deinstallation program. He also said that that service program, that usually should install itself with the drivers, but dosent, might perhaps cause issues if it dosent get installed properly.

@ Brother Bunsen Honeydew

The download site is the following:

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/297/p/265 (note that this is no advertising, quite the opposite right now  :P )

The Stick in question requires the third driver option (yes, i triple checked). As you can read from the description, it should work with Win 7 64 bit.

So my status right now is, that one support guy has run out of ideas, and the other (the Dell one) will phone me back tomorrow to find out if my problem has been solved (hopefully he takes timezones into consideration when he calls, as he had a suspicious indian dialect, and the phone connection was pretty bad  :P ).

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #233 on: June 18, 2010, 12:13:10 PM »
Ok, update:

Due to work it took a while but after 2 more talks with Dell techies, the problem has been surrounded. We now figured out, that the Wlan stick, when connected to the win 7 PC can connect to the network, when i switch the encryption off. But as i have posted earlier, the stick can connect just fine to the WPA/WPA2 encrypted network when connected to the XP PC. So basically there is a problem between the Win 7, the router and the Stick. Now my techie ran out of ideas and offered to connect me to the Dell software support department. Only Problem, the ask for money for solutions, starting with 20-30€ according to my techie. So before i get completly ripped off any ideas? I can now access the internet via a Lan cabel on my win 7 PC, but this is no permanent solution.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #234 on: June 18, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »
Is the WLan stick provided to you from your internet service provider? If it is, I suggested contacting them, explaining what happened with Dell and asking them what they want to do about it. If it's equipment they provide and it doesn't work, they should fix it.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #235 on: June 18, 2010, 01:09:04 PM »
I bought the Stick together with the PC in one Package from Dell. It was on a list of items i could choose to order with the PC. The problem is, as far as i can see, that the stick is working just fine, but that win 7 seems to have issues with our 4 years old router, though only when trying to access it over Wlan, direct connection works just fine.

I will probably my internet provider again, and ask him if they have known issues concerning win 7 and that specific router. Last time i called them they couldnt find a problem, but perhaps, with this new info, they can give me an idea.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #236 on: June 18, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »
Try the router manufacturer as well, they may have a firmware update that can fix the issue.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #237 on: June 18, 2010, 02:32:32 PM »
Try the router manufacturer as well, they may have a firmware update that can fix the issue.

Already up to date (was one of the things i checked), but a call to the manufacturer sounds like a good idea.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #238 on: June 19, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »
Another update:

Following advice given by my brother, i removed my old Ralink wireless PCI card from my old PC and put it into the new one. Then i searched for drivers and found vista drivers on the official ralink webside - which didnt work... but i also found a driver on some random driver side which was a bit larger than the other one, installed it and it worked!!! Why? Who knows and who cares? Never touch a running system!
The Wlan stick now does its service in my old PC. Not exactly how i planned it, but never mind...

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #239 on: July 22, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »
Anyone use Ubuntu Netbook remix?

I just insalled this on my little netbook, and there are two things I cannot get to work; the sound and the wifi.
The sound worked until I plugged my headphones in, and now there is no sound anywhere. It works just fine when I boot into windows, so it is not a hardware-issue.
Wired connection to network works just fine, but the wifi just won't connect to my home network. It works, again, just fine when I am on the windows-boot.

Any ideas?

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.