News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Design A Special Character Competition! V. 2.0 (A.K.A. The 40k Version)  (Read 9768 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
Posted by: Makenshi, The White Cloud

It'd look better if you used the Code I provided

yeah, it probably would but i didnt know how to use that stuff. me = internet noob. i made my first 500 or so posts before i knew how to put stuff in quotes the right way. i am at work (lol) right now and didnt have time to learn something new as i am obviously working hard at my job (lol).  :P

p.s. are we going to put pictures / artwork assocciated with the character up here?

69Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Just copy/paste it and replace the second Pts, Ws etc. with the stat, simple as that.

If you want I can do it for you though...

~MTWC
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
Posted by: Makenshi, The White Cloud

Just copy/paste it and replace the second Pts, Ws etc. with the stat, simple as that.

If you want I can do it for you though...

lol, i only recently figured out how to copy and paste (last month). i will give it a shot later when i get time but if i cant figure it out ill holler for some help.  (me= techno noob)

69Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline EtherealFlame07

Sorry bout the delayed post...

ok, you said I could make up equiptment and such...

taking harlequin equiptment, does that count as some of that made up gear or as normal stuff?

thanks-

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
If you made up the rules (for example: Harlequin Blades:[/b] Counts as Powerbaldes and a Harlequins Kiss) then it's made up, if it's found in their list/codex etc. it isn't made up.

~MTWC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Tresserhorn

• Honoured Ri'Star
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • You don't understand your peril
    • Dark Legion
I didn't see a deadline date.  When it is?
Dark Alliance W14  L0

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
I didn't see a deadline date. When it is?

That is undecided as of yet, it really depends how popular it is and on when my responsibilites bog off for a while...

EDIT- That reminds me, I need to ask about Polls.

~MTWC
« Last Edit: April 1, 2005, 07:44:47 PM by Makenshi, The White Cloud »

Offline Zucrous Shadowhelm

• I have transformed my fear and now it serves me

Archon Lord Zucrous Shadowhelm, The Reaper of Souls, Supreme Dark Lord of the Kabal of the Severed Soul
              Pts/model   WS   BS   S    T   W   I       A       Ld      Sv
Zucrous       230         9     6     3     3    3   8       4       10        4+
A Dark Eldar army may take Zucrous as a HQ choice. An Eldar, or Harlequin, army may take him either as an elite or HQ choice but only if there is one other HQ choice. He must be used exactly as described below, may not be given any equipment. In addition, he can only be used if both players have agreed to the use of special characters.

Weapons: Shadow field, Runar, Illusion field, mask of deception and webway portal.
Runar: This weapon is a powerful artifact, from where none but those guarding the black library know. it obviously can control Zucrous' inbridled psychic power making it a fearsome weapon of destruction. The crystal at the pummel of the sword holds the soulls of all Zucrous' most powerful victims even that of the previous Archon of the kabal of the severed soul. in game terms Runar always wounds on a 2+, no armor saves allowed (Invulnerable saves taken normally). St 9 against vehicles.
Illusion Field: Just a different name for the Harlequin's Holo suit.
Mask of deception: This mask to his oponents puts zucrous into a blur, making it terribly hard to get a direct hit off on him. In game terms unless a six is rolled on eash hit, that hit cannot instant kill him due to massive damage (force weapons etc may still instant kill him however).
Special rules:
Independent Character: Unless accompanied by a command squad, Zucrous is an independent character and follows the independent character special rules in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.
Command Squad: May be accompanied by an Incubi retinue and be mounted on a raider or be accompanied by a squad of mandrakes.
Hidden Deployment: Same as mandrake rule but may not use it if with an Incubi retinue.
Special Power: When in combat and using Runar may concentrate all attacks on a single model if he does Runar counts as a force weapon as well as any other special abilities it has.

Almost none know the backround surrounding the dark lord of the Kabal of the Severed Soul. Even less know how he became the Archon of the kabal. What is known is that he is rithless, merciless, and sadistic. Zucrous before entering the kabal was taken by the Harlequins and learned much of other eldar society from the craftworlds to the worlds of the exodites, some say he has even visited the black library. What is certain is that the harlequins have plans to for him. Zucrous has been an anomoly within DE society. For in fact he is a Dark Eldar with latent psychic powers. This of course has been a huge problem for Zucrous, for if the torturors of the dark city had found out when he was young, he would have been nothing more than a play toy. This is probably the reason he has become such a domant force within Commorragh, the fact that the more powerful he becomes the more unlikely he is to fall into the hands of the Haemonculus. Zucrous' tactics involve typical DE strategy, but with more stealth and suprise than speed, many of his warriors have been seen weilding a strange device that blends them into the shadows, allowing them more suprise than even other DE factions. But the mopst suprising thing about Zucrous and his kabal is the fact that  on multiple occasions they have been seen fighting alongside their harlequin brothers. They have also been seen fighting alongside a strange craftworld known as craftworld ynwe. Some say that Zucrous is actually one of the light kin, but any who have known him say otherwise his distrust of even his closest advisors, and his distast for even his own psychic powers makes this fact undebatable to most. What the Harlequin's intentions are for him is inclear, but whatever it is it is certain that Zucrous will try to fullfill it with ruthless efficiancy.
“You are the Emperor’s finest; his word is our strength, his might our sword, and our faith in him, our shield against all enemies. We are the Emperor’s Crusaders, and through us his will is done.”

Offline Scythe

• Flamer: Superiority Complex BANNED
  • Banned for flaming
In your rules Makenshi you never stated that the character had to be from a GW official race/army. However I assume you don't want characters from races you've never heard of before, but what about characters from races who have been mentioned in fluff?

Offline Zucrous Shadowhelm

• I have transformed my fear and now it serves me
In your rules Makenshi you never stated that the character had to be from a GW official race/army. However I assume you don't want characters from races you've never heard of before, but what about characters from races who have been mentioned in fluff?

yeah like those big fluffy guys with the huge claws in the 3rd edition rulebook those things looked awsome.
“You are the Emperor’s finest; his word is our strength, his might our sword, and our faith in him, our shield against all enemies. We are the Emperor’s Crusaders, and through us his will is done.”

Offline EtherealFlame07

PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Mor Zhai, The Stalking Wolf1837554374-2+/4++

An Eldar Army of 1500 Points or more may take Mor Zhai as a HQ choice of the army, in addition, he may only be used in a game which both players have agreed to the use of special characters.

Weapons: Wolf's Fang, Wolf's Pelt, Roar of the Wolf (shuri pistol w/bio-explosive amunition)

The Wolf's Fang may be used in close combat as either a set of Riveblades or a Harlequin's Kiss (not both)
The Wolf's Pelt counts as a Rangers Camelioline cloak, exept it grants its wearer better cover, when in the open Mor Zhai counts as being in cover with a 4+ save
Roar of the Wolf counts as a shuriken pistol with bio-explosive amunition

Ferocious Charge: Mor Zhai may charge an additional 6" he may exchange up to 3" of this charge in exchange for an equal number of attacks.
Mor Zhai shows no emotion of any kind while on the hunt, to represent this, he has no leadership value

I'll add in some fluff later, I'm just to lazy to type it right now...

« Last Edit: April 3, 2005, 11:08:10 AM by EtherealFlame07 »

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient

Ah, thanks for pointing that out.

Hmmmm, since this is about creativity so long as they have been mentioned in fluff it is ok so long as they aren't over the top.

~MTWC

Offline Scythe

• Flamer: Superiority Complex BANNED
  • Banned for flaming
Don't worry I'll keep it within your parameters.

Offline JiMInY

• What big teeth I have
Jenik of the 13th company maintain a great hunt and have done since Russ's dissapearance reached them in the eye of terror. He carries his great axe and a great hatred for pretty much most armies in the universe.

PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Wolf Guard Jenik2006544354103+

Items - Frost blade achbahr, master crafted bolt pistol, wolf pelt, wolf tooth necklace, runic charm.
Special rules:

Wulfen leader -
At the start of the turn make a Ld check for Jenik, if failed the squad he is with act as normal. If passed however jenik and his pack can make a charge of 12''(if within range,all  normal charging rules apply).

Retinue of Wulfen -
May only be given wulfen as his retinue.

Frostblade achbar -
master crafted frostblade, etched onto his blade are the names of all the fallen wulfen from Jenik's warband during his quest which in turn works him up into a rage, counts as both mark of wulfen and holy relic. After thousands of years wielding this ancient axe he has mastered close combat with it, he can either wound with his base strength of 4 and hit on a 2+, or hit on WS5 and wound on 2+,he may split his attacks between the two.
consume the magical plant

Offline Fishy

• Used Skyray Salesman
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 'Shoot coward, you are only going to kill a man.'
So I figured I might as well enter, I had a few ideas but this old creation of mine (even made the model and everything) will have to do:

The origins of Bob Fettish are uncertain, but his ability to hunt down and destroy beings of many races is well known across the galaxy. However, his handiwork goes without name, as all too often the bodies of those he hunts are removed from the field of battle with him, and for whatever purpose only Fettish must truely know. Bob Fettish is an HQ choice.

PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Bob Fettish1255544353103+

Weapons:
Lash of Torment, Blaster (Hellpistol)

Wargear:
Mark of Slannesh, Jet Pack (Daemonic Flight), Combat Drugs

Special Rules:
Bounty Hunter: Fettish fights purely for selfish reasons, having little concern for the eternal struggles of the Chaos Gods or suchlike, instead fighting purely in return for monetary gain or slaves.... of various races. Pick an enemy HQ at the start of the game (does not have to be the most expensive one). Fettish must charge this character if he is able to do so, and if this character dies Fettish will leave the field, taking no further part in the battle, and the model is removed.

'More....' (Pain is Pleasure): If Fettish ever takes a wound, he hurls himself at his foe with (even more) reckless abandon. To represent this, Fettish gains the Furious Charge ability for the rest of the game.

Disturbing Presence: Even the foul forces of Chaos are disgusted and disturbed by this monstorous heretic. Few will approach him off of the battle field, and even fewer would dare ask what happens to the corpses of those he slays. Therefore, Fettish may never join a unit in battle and remains an independent character.

Note that I toned him down slightly (not less powerful, but less fluffy rules) for the purposes of this competition.
Fish

The Tau Empire needs you to write articles for its Project now! Want to know more? Just ask!

Offline Moonsinger

• The Cause of Priapism | Meanie!
  • Ancient
    • KFD-Comics
haha.. Boba Fett.. XD

Maybe like the Bounty Hunter would be that the enemy model (if killed) will be worth 2 times it points value.

;)
Dwarf Females <3
Priapism is considered a medical emergency, which should receive proper treatment by qualified medical people

Offline EtherealFlame07

Yeah...I was thinking the same, the Boba Fett thing...not the points

anyway, do you really think he should be a choas character?

doesn't really seem to fit the whole essence of chaos to me.

maybe make him available to all armies (nids/necrons excluded) like the merc Kroot?

BTW, my SC has been updated a bit please check him out  :D

Offline Fishy

• Used Skyray Salesman
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 'Shoot coward, you are only going to kill a man.'
Perhaps, its mainly becuase he was originally created as a narrative character for a campaign I ran down at GW Lenton.

Luckily you all spotted the rather obvious Star Wars reference lol, the model makes this even plainer.

However the Slaaneshi vibe was something I felt rather important, and this would be lost if he was moved elsewhere. I certainly couldnt see him working for the Imperium.. or rather, the Imperium wanting him.

Still, I will give this lots of serious thought, as I'd really like everyone else to like him as well  :) lol.
Fish

The Tau Empire needs you to write articles for its Project now! Want to know more? Just ask!

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • quod me nutrit, me destruit
  • Armies: Harlequins, Eldar, Space Marines, DeathGuard, Nids
"Something's awry, I can tell."

She wore a suit of intricately-worked golden battle armour so fine and form fitting that it had been clearly fashioned for her by master metallurgists. A Halo of light surrounded her, so fierce and bright it made her alomst translucent. Nine cyber-skull drones hovered around her in the radiant glow, forming a circle behind her head, their eyes lit, their miniature weapon pods armed. She was terrible to behold.

[quote from dan abnett's Sabbat Martyr that inspired me in making this konversion]

PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Sanian, Reincarnation of The Beati, Saint of the Sabbat Worlds2305533353103+/4+inv

Independant character

HQ: The reincarnation of Saint Sabbat can only be fielded in an Imperial Guard army at the points and with the equipment listed below, except for a Tanith Ghosts army. In a full Tanith Ghosts army she may be fielded for free, however takes up an HQ slot nonetheless.
Although the Beati counts as an HQ choice she may never be the armies general.

Equipment:
Having wings the Saint moves like jump infantry, following all their rules.
The Sword of the Beati.
Anointed Battle Armour.
9 Cyber-Gun Drones

Where there is an enemy, Rage. Where there is a victory, rejoice.
Once per battle the Beati may summon up courage in all the troops surrounding her.
Models within 12" of the Living Saint will have +1 attack for the remainder of the turn.

Stand with me for as long as you are able. A day, a week, a minute. Whatever you can give, however long you can stand. I welcome that
When assaulting, the Beati and the unit she is with may re-roll all failed 'to hit' rolls.

That which was will be. That which dieth will live. That which falleth will rise up. This, I say you, is the nature of things.
The Sword of the Beati counts as a powerweapon. Also, the Beati may re-roll all failed 'to wound' rolls.

She wore a suit of intricately-worked golden battle armour so fine and form fitting that it had been clearly fashioned for her by master metallurgists
The Beati wears power armour and an Icon of the Just. The latter to reflect the quality and care her armour was made with and it's holy heritage.

Nine cyber-skull drones hovered around her in the radiant glow, forming a circle behind her head, their eyes lit, their miniature weapon pods armed.
The servo skulls fire all as one laying down a fierce volley of specially anointed needles on the enemy. Effectively the servo skulls use the following ranged attack statistics:
Range: Template Str: 5 AP: 4 Assault 1
Note: Only armour saves may be taken against the Servo Skulls' fire. Invulnerable and coversaves may not be taken. One use only.

The last one brought me some worries to be honest. Looking for a weapon that would represent the amount of needles and firepower layn down by the servo skulls brought me to the heavy flamer which is no good since it's a heavy1/template weapon. I therefor opted for the incinerator instead, hoping it will not be overtly powerfull.
It was not an option though to use the normal rules for servo skulls since a retinue was not allowed under the competitions rules.
Next to that it would also offer the Beati some initiative 10 attacks which might also lead to further powering up against my personal liking.

I also considered toning down the invulnerable save to 5+ from a refractor field, but still think the 4+ is a better choice since she will mostly be backed up by imperial guardsmen and therefor will not benefit from strong power armoured units to back her up in combat.

The model is almost done konverting and will be painted soon. Might take a bit longer since I'm also entering a model in the 40konline painting comp and need to put some attention to that as well. I'll post the pics when she's readily konverted to update it with a painted version as soon as that becomes available though.

little pic of the incomplete konversion. still needs the 9 cyber-skulls around her as well as a decent paintjob.
nonetheless, i was fooling around with photoshop a bit and thought this might look nice on her resume untill then.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2005, 11:17:24 AM by the solitaire »

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
Why didn't you tell me you were doing this?

Mysec, Eldar Engineer
PtsWsBsSTWIALdSv
Mysec150463426294++

Equip:Dual Plasma Pistol(Twin-linked, Don't Overheat), Shield Guantlets(Counts as Rune armour), Servo-arm

Special Rules:
Psyker: Mysec is a psyker, like most eldar, yet has no true formal training. Whenever Mysec rolls doubles on his psychic test, he suffers Perils of the Warp. Mysec has the following psychic powers, Guide and Mind War

Customize: Mysec is known to tinker with everything he can get his hands on. Any number of vechiles in a army that includes Mysec may be upgraded to 'customized' at the cost of 10 points. If the customized vechile is a skimmer, the skimmer isn't destroyed when it's immobilized, and instead is just immobilized. If the vechile is a walker, then the vechile counts as having +1 to it's front armour.
-FJ
[/color]