News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Space Marines after work...  (Read 914 times)

Offline Abuk

• Hobbyst...
Space Marines after work...
« on: February 18, 2004, 02:14:24 PM »

I was wondering about activities of a ordinary Space Marine. What does he do after work?  An endless war is quite boring and after long peiod of time it turnes to be nothing out of the ordinary.

And what about Nurgle Marines? Do they have to take a piss?

???
..The Great Seductor strikes again..

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
Re: Space Marines after work...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 02:25:48 PM »
Is this supposed to be a serious question about what marines do in their spare free time, or is it supposed to be satirical?

The answer to that question will decide if this thread belongs to either general40k/fiction&fluff/SM forum or to the space tavern.

jwu

Offline Uzzy

• Long Fang | I argue as no-one cares
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Major Badass
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 02:36:31 PM »
Last Page, Space Marine Codex. As you can see Smurfs get very little free time.

As for the nurgle marine question, i dont even want to think about it.

Offline Calebone

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 11:45:21 PM »
Apparently, 15 minutes of free time.  :P Otherwise, they have battle practices or prayers.

Offline Spiritbw

• Dies novus lucescerit
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 01:57:16 AM »
yup, last page in the codex was a detail of a Space marines day.  As mentioned, not alot of time to themselves.  HEck, they only get four hours sleep a day!

They do have holidays though it seems, something like a mideval feast day where they well, feast and also have ceremonies and events to celebate important events in the chapter's history. 

All in all life in a Space marine fortress seems alot like the knights of old and thier castle crossed with Hell week form the navy SEALs training only it never ends.
"Let our enemies see us comming. Let them tremble at our approach. What have we to fear? We are Fear incarnate!" - Brother Hektor Char, Paragon city campiegn

"Bonus points for anyone that taunts the frog while the machine works"- Dr Devious vs Lincoln High

Give us a visit: http://www.battlefleet-fury.150m.com/

Offline Abuk

• Hobbyst...
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 06:23:22 AM »
What about Chaos Dreadnoughts for instance? Or believers of Khorne?
Imagine situation when one of the Berserker's needs something to drink. I doubt that he will gently ask for it...
I don't believe in society built up on death and destruction.
How can they functionate without love, without having children. This don't stick.
..The Great Seductor strikes again..

Offline Wrathe

• Quick delivery will trump the finest blade.
    • Nerdtopia
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 06:36:54 AM »
Yeah, but they don't NEED to sleep until I think it was 72 hours. Thats the longest they have ever gone ane still "functioned". In the Index Astartes it explains all of their genetical implants and whatnot. They have this special organ that swotches the brains control of the body to the other half ever 8 hours. maybe it's longer but I don't know. I don't have the index, and I haven't looked at in in about a year now.

Offline Seer Fox

• The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • No. I'm not keeping the girl.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 11:37:44 AM »
What about Chaos Dreadnoughts for instance? Or believers of Khorne?
Imagine situation when one of the Berserker's needs something to drink. I doubt that he will gently ask for it...
I don't believe in society built up on death and destruction.
How can they functionate without love, without having children. This don't stick.

Abuk, do you by any chance collect Tau?

Anyway, it's easy to live without love and children, though I'm sure uncle Kharn really likes visiting orphanages when he's abroad killing everyone. Mwahaha.
You can get respect without needing love, and that is what keeps the traitor legions together; respect of each other's abilities. Though no doubt some of the traitors are comrades in arms, they'll probably on just like each other, not love.

Anyway-:

"Kharn no need drink. Kharn need BLOOD! BLOOD!! BLOOOOOOD!!!"
Well I'm not going to quote anything, so...I'll have to hunt down my old sig again.

How bothersome.

Offline The Swordwind

• The Master of Sword-Chucks
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 12:24:39 PM »
Space Wolves are lucky as they are the only ones who get drunk on their first day on the job and get to party and then wake up to find their in the middle of the Arctic with no clothes on. (something many an EO/40k.ca member may have done, Im sure)

And about berserkers having children, all Berzerkers are male and rarely get out the warp. Some one better teach Abuk about the birds and the bees
"Their is no art more beautiful and diverse than the art of Death" - Laconfir of Beil-tan

You must watch 8-Bit Theater

Offline FearTheReaver

• The Emperor is the traitor. Russ is the traitor.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 04:52:53 PM »
As was said, you do not need love to have a functional society. The strongest gives the orders, and whoever wants to keep breathing will follow them. Love does not enter into it.

As for spare time, well, loyalists, as has also been said, next to nothing.

Chaos can vary, though I would think they practise as well, though it probably always focuses on harming something. Chaos marines probably won't sit down to play "connect four" in between battles.

World Eaters: Probably hunting for something else to kill, killing each other.

Death Guard: Targeting some planet for a terrible sickness, plauge, or nasty cough causing agent. Or creating some of them.

Thousand Sons: Studying a magical tome, casting spells, or, in the case of rubrics, probably standing around.

Emperors Children: Something perverse that gives plesure, whatever they find enjoyable.

Night lords: Inventing new ways to scare the hell out of people, raiding for stuff.

Alpha Legion: Creating a Cult on their next target, training like mad

Word Bearers: Constructing Chaos temples, binding daemons to their will.

Iron Warriors: Constructing massive fortresses, modifying vehicles that they have looted, target practice.

Black Legion: Whatever they want, although they probably spend most of the time raiding the imperium, or doing whatever goes best with their patron.

These are just my guesses, though. If anyone has an actuall fluff-documented answer, listen to them.
I watch you. I see the hatred in your eyes, well hidden behind courtly graces. I know the terrible darkness that hides behind your well rehearsed lies. I wait for you at the edge of sanity. I taste the pain in your mind, the yearning to end this charade. I make my home in the darkest pits of your soul. In the shadows I bide my time. I patiently wait for you to open your eyes and realise that it is by my will alone you draw breath. For I am Tzeentch and you are my puppet who dances to my tune.