News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 1903 times)

Offline acdb

• T'Ark'An'Ni Ak'Kan
Star Trek
« on: January 9, 2003, 12:34:58 AM »
Could someone give me some help in how to create a Star Trek-like BFG fleet?
Tszark"Man"nak'kan ik kannainss'sdeg'Kan'Ni

Supposedly Lord Blood Mage's stripper/personal guard, unavoidable distraction that causes you death in many ways.

But actually the Goddess of Death and Sadness.

Long Live C'Nesha

T'Ark'An'Ni Ak'Kan - acdb - me

My trusty steed: A wonderful creature I picked up that can change into anything.

Offline Decapitus

• Gotta get a better avatar.
Re:Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2003, 01:10:30 AM »
I'm not really sure how you would do that. Honestly one of the reasons I like BFG is that it doesn't borrow incredibly much from any other space ship Sci-Fi.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
                     -Frederich Nietzsche

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2003, 08:26:57 AM »
I'm not sure why you would want to... each genre would sully that of the other! ;) :D ::)

Seriously, isn't the old Galaxy-class one of the largest starships in Star Fleet and is somewhat less than 700 metres?  Tad bit on the small side compared to Imperial ships... ::)

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 07:09:02 PM »
I'm not sure where Kage2020 is coming from there... ???

Personally , I like the Federation ships , they look cool with those big saucers and glowing blue warp nacelles . Unfortunatley , I have no idea how you could convert one , other than see if you can find a range of BFG scale Star Trek models . I know that you can get kits of several Starfleet ships , but I don't know the sizes . You could try trawling the internet for some , or ask at a Star Trek fan-site .

Offline Malekith

• I am the NIGHTBRINGER. You are the NIGHTBRINGEE
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2003, 05:22:19 AM »
You could make a commonwealth fleet  from "Andromeda" with Eldar ships but Star Trek would be hard. You could try conversions but the ships would be massively out of scale. look at the Defiant class compared to other ships and you have got how the Soverign class would look against a Battle Barge. You could make A Borg/Necron fleet which would be cool though and not that hard to convert with some plasticard and green stuff.

TTFN :P
Malekith
Famous Last Words:
Safe? Of Course its safe!
Trust me he WANTS us to cut the red wire so we cut the blue
Dont Fire till you see the whites in their ey...
What Bus?
Smoking never hurt anyone!
Those rangers couldnt hit a rock at point blank range! Theres no chance they can shoot though my firing sli...
We can just ignore those spore mines!
Its not that far to the Ground. If your nervous I'll jump first. Its Ok we have parachutes.

Offline Zithuriel

• Post and ye shall recieve
  • Every man lives, but not every man truly dies!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2003, 12:49:03 PM »
Aren't BFG torpedoes supposed to be larger than most Star Trek ships?
What foes are we to meet in battle that we have not vanquished in the shadows of the human soul? What Daemons scream that have not cried to us from dark places of the mind?  What fear have we of death who know there is imortality in the great and noble deeds of men?

For Every battle honour, a thousand heroes die alone, unsung and unremembered.

The Mutant bears his heresy on the outside, the Traitor hides it in his Soul.

The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal.

Offline acdb

• T'Ark'An'Ni Ak'Kan
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2003, 06:27:29 PM »
Scale doesn't really matter if each ship was roughly in scale with itself it wouldn't really matter if they weren't in scale with BFG-proper!

Supposedly Lord Blood Mage's stripper/personal guard, unavoidable distraction that causes you death in many ways.

Long Live C'Nesha

My trusty steed: A wonderful creature I picked up that can change into anything.

Offline Devern, The Unsung Hero

• I will slumber until called upon
  • Ancient
  • Look out Boys, I'm coming
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2003, 06:33:16 PM »
An Andromeda fleet woudl kick!!!  Hell I think I'l going to get some green stuff and start building slip fighters form scratch...make some cool rules for them.  hehehe.  Nova bombs..*drools*
Quote from: Sheep
FMG is a Swiss army knife. Always a tool, but with so many functions. And he fits right in your pocket.
I cut a hole in your head, using it as a hump-hole.[/color]
We have some messed up people here..

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2003, 08:04:44 PM »
I'm not sure where Kage2020 is coming from there... ???
Not modelling! ;)

I was talking in 'fluff' terms... And, out of interest, I like the imagery of the ST ships as well! :D

Offline Camo

• Scribe to Scars
  • Pray they don't take you alive
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2003, 03:23:26 PM »
     It's funny you should mention star trek and BFG together, has anyone seen the scythe class narvester vessels for necrons? Well take off the tail and the fin, turn it upside down and what have you got? The star ship enterprise, try it!
If I had but a thousand men who were crazy enough to want to conquer hell then we would do it - Warmaster Solon

Offline acdb

• T'Ark'An'Ni Ak'Kan
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2003, 11:26:08 PM »
I must say that although they would be smaller in full-scale that they are much better armed (one quantam torpedo can destroy an entire starbase which is approx the 1000m x 1200m x 450m). Their shielding is better as well!

Long Live C'Nesha

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2003, 11:55:17 AM »
Actually, the shielding is worse! They don't seem to be able to recharge their shields in battle, whereas the Imperial Shields recharge themselves as soon as the shooting stops, however briefly (in BFG, you lose one shield for every Blast Marker next to the ship, so if you move clear of the Blast Markers, all your shields come back!  ;D).

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.

Offline Sgt. Dellius

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Domintis Ultramarini
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2003, 02:53:41 PM »
im not sure where I'M coming from here, but, wont most star trek ships ahve limited options for weapons?

Offline acdb

• T'Ark'An'Ni Ak'Kan
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2003, 12:48:47 AM »
Star Trek shields are constantly repaired as battle rages around them! Does the Imperium or even the eldar have cloaking technology? Not that I know of! A sensor block would cause any and all Imperial ships in proximity to the activating ship to loose any navigational abilites! A phaser blast would not only cause damage but also disrupt the machine spirits of what it was aimed at!

Long Live C'Nesha

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2003, 03:36:05 PM »
Star Trek shields are constantly repaired as battle rages around them! Does the Imperium or even the eldar have cloaking technology? Not that I know of! A sensor block would cause any and all Imperial ships in proximity to the activating ship to loose any navigational abilites! A phaser blast would not only cause damage but also disrupt the machine spirits of what it was aimed at!
Who says that they don't constantly repair shields in BFG? Maybe that's the reason Imperial ships can make so many shield saves (is that the proper term)
or the weapons are simply so powerful that the shield generators go kaput after absorbing the hits

and of course Eldar cloak! the only time eldar ships are engaged in battle is when they get past their cloaking (even then, their holofields represent that they're extremely difficult to get a lock on)

Dark eldar ships even use their cloaking to emulate other ships, to get in close before attack.

You could also assume that the reason for a lack of cloaking rules in 40k is all the ships have super duper sensors to detect them, only small trading vessels would lack them.

i'm just talkin' from me bum tho, it's all speculation
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Wargamer

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2003, 04:03:30 PM »
Imperial, Chaos and Orks all have shields in BFG.

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

-175th Galetonian.

Offline Morrinath

• I have seen the future...and it's egg shaped!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2003, 05:45:07 PM »
BFG ships don't have sensors in the star trek sense of the word. Whereas star trek gives returns on almost all details of whatever's in the area of effect BFG sensors just detect energy signatures. For this reason it's possible to 'hide' in a gas cloud or even just park in front of a star so it masks your own energy signature. This makes targeting and navigation much more complicated and inaccurate but also more robust. I'm guessing even cloaking devices give off energy which could be picked up as just a shapeless signature. BFG shields automatically regenerate when not being hit so they are better than star trek shields. Also, BFG torpedoes are way more powerful than star trek ones. The only things in BFG that are out of scale are the ships themselves and as such the explosions (blast markers) from BFG torpedoes are several hundred miles across at least.
“Always forgive your enemies, nothing will annoy them more.” (Oscar Wilde)

“Knowledge consists of knowing that a tomato is a fruit and wisdom consists of not putting it in a fruit salad.” (Miles Kington)

“There is one thing more powerful than all the armies in the world and that is an idea whose time has come” (Anonymous)“

“To fight and win a hundred battles, this is not the acme of skill. But to subdue your enemy without landing a blow, this is the acme of skill.” (Sun Tzu)

Offline Monoglycer

• Supa-Mekboy!
  • Ancient
  • Hard work pays off later but laziness pays off NOW
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2003, 06:01:03 PM »
I think the game starfleet command was based around a table top game called starship battles(star trek universe). Also if you actually don't care about the scale you'll find that fed ships have very low weapons compaired to say a cruiser at best a galaxy class(considered a battleship) has 8 weapons(lance or batteries) on only their broadsides while a battleship has 12?(don't have rule book)+dorsal weapons.

Offline Wargamer

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2003, 10:19:48 AM »
Let's look at some specs.
Size:
Galaxy Class Starships are 641 meters long.
Emperor Class Battleships are at least 3km long.
Armament:
Galaxy Class Starships have at least 10 Phaser arrays, and over 200 Photon Torpedoes (6ft long, max range 750,000-3,500,000km depending on type).
Emperor Class Battleships have hundreds of Plasma Cannons, Turbo Lasers, Defence Lasers, Macro Cannons and simmilar weaponry, Lance Batteries, auxilliary defence Turrets and an unknown quantity of Torpedoes (size and range unknown).
Auxilliary Craft:
Galaxy Class Starships have 10 standard personnel shuttles, ten cargo shuttles and 5 special-purpose craft, as well as 12 2-man short range craft.
Emperor Class Battleships have an unknown number of fighters, assault craft, bombers, planetary assault craft, dropships, drop-pods as well as an unknown quantity of additional craft.

Hope that helps you determine how Star Trek ships shape up in BFG.

-175th Galetonian.

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2003, 10:27:12 PM »
Nonetheless , it would still be possible to make a Star Trek themed Imperial fleet . Just use different models , what's the problem ?

In any case , Star Fleet has much higher tech than the Imperial Navy , and would outclass them.