News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What IS Lahmian Medium?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
What IS Lahmian Medium?
« on: April 7, 2018, 05:44:19 PM »
What exactly is Lahmian Medium by GW? Is it just a "glaze medium" by another name or is it a a different type of product I can get a lot more of for cheaper?
« Last Edit: April 7, 2018, 05:45:22 PM by Partninja »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: What IS Lahmian Medium?
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »
It's just paint medium. Acrylic paint is pigment held together by a medium (the bonding agent). What Lahmian medium does is as more of that to the paint. Basically, thins down the pigment without watering it down. You could probably find heeps of other acrylic mediums around, and there are tons of variety of types. Thick, thin, matte, gloss, etc.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »
Acrylic medium is often sold as "glaze medium" as well (at least around me). Just wasn't sure if GW's was something different as I haven't had experience with it.

Thanks bud!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #3 on: April 7, 2018, 06:01:21 PM »
I use it a lot to smooth out textures and help hide harsh transitions in a paint job. It's also crucial when I'm adding transfers, as it helps me prep the area and then after I've added the ard coat to seal it, I'll add another coat to remove the gloss shine of the ard coat.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: April 7, 2018, 06:04:02 PM »
I'm planning to use it with Nihilak Oxide so it's a bit more fluid and less chalky when it's dry.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 09:30:33 PM »
I use it a lot to smooth out textures and help hide harsh transitions in a paint job. It's also crucial when I'm adding transfers, as it helps me prep the area and then after I've added the ard coat to seal it, I'll add another coat to remove the gloss shine of the ard coat.

Interesting use for the transistion, will have to give that a go :)

Micro Sol and Micro Set do a decent job and are significantly cheaper than GW's medium, for working with decals. Ardcoat is a gloss varnish, should be able to just grab a matte one, so you can skip that step :)