News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: These FAQs  (Read 999 times)

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
These FAQs
« on: October 23, 2017, 04:39:36 PM »
I'm wondering what people around here think of the fairly rapid pace and use of FAQs by GW at present?

Because I'm torn.

I love that they addressed issues like the storm raven spam rapidly. My biggest pet peeve has always been playing against lists rather than people. And I don't mean playing against effective min/maxed lists... I mean against lists that are clearly finding something ott and then just running with it to the n-th degree. I want to play a game with little army men, and am disappointed when that's not what I get.

I worry about these FAQs though. How many people know about them?

Like, competitively, everyone. I'm sure. So no big deal. But what about the more casual players who just started, walk into a store, and are told by someone that the rules in their new book are fake?

Is this just a result of me being a little old and stodgy, and not an actual issue because everyone uses the internet and knows about this stuff now (vs when i was younger in the 90's)? I don't know. It seems like really bad form to me to have things in books get altered this rapidly from that perspective. And is probably the best argument I can think of for e-books that self-update.

(Although then I guess I'd have to buy an iPad or something, which would make me sad too ;;).

I guess, on the whole, I like what GW is doing. But I'm not sure how long they can keep it up before there are so many FAQed items it becomes a bit tricky to keep things straight.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Re: These FAQs
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 05:09:26 PM »
I don't think it's a big issue. For the most part, the FAQs are currently just saying "no!" to silly little loopholes that dick-players are picking up on. In casual play, against decent players, and especially if you're mostly playing in the same store/with the same group, you're not going to come up against people trying that Ogryn hyper-loop crap.

And I'd hope that anyone pointing out to a new player that things have changed a bit or been corrected in their book, would be doing it in a nice, friendly way.

I'm with you, I want to play people not lists. Unfortunately it's always the people that ruin games... :D

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:09:48 PM »
I hear where you are coming from but its a necessity. Its a very complex game played by millions of people... and things are always going to escape notice even with the broad array of play testers from every walk of 40k life (casual, narrative, competitive etc.)

I much prefer this than years of stagnant, broken rules which would cripple armies and units, or serve as an multi-year exploit for other armies and units.

Also beyond 40k, this is the way tabletop games are going and IMO its made for a much better gaming environement. 7th edition nearly killed my gaming group but now people are returning.

As for not knowing the rules and FAQ's. I mean GW used to do this somewhat regularly going back to the early 2000's. Also everyone is on the internet, and even if they aren't super involved on the net, its super easy to just share info with friends who may not be in the loop.

So IMO, its a necessity, a positive development and I hope it continues.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 05:30:03 PM »
One thing I think would be nice would be for the Codexes to be updated with FAQ/Errata changes (v1.1) whenever a new one rolls out, both with anything new rolling off the presses to have the correct rules, and for those of us who already own Codexes to be able to order replacement data cards we can tape or paste into our codexes so that we don't need to reference multiple physical documents when looking up a rule.

Alternatively, having a "digital Codex" available to all Codex owners would be nice, for those of us who have tablets and such.

Sadly all of these fixes are more expensive than just having an FAQ up there :(
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 05:52:21 PM »
The FAQ's, are for the most part, just FAQ's, not erratas. There are a few erratas, but it's few and far between. For the most part, they are just good resources to solve any arguments.

I think it's funny that people complained that there wasn't any FAQ's for years, and now that there are FAQ's immediately to solve disputes, that's also a problem lol.

Knowing all the FAQ's is not really an issue except for serious competitive play, that's where a lot of the erratas and rules questions come from, and always has to do with rules and units which were open to the most abuse.

I just wish Forge World would fix the Malefic Lords which are dominating the tournament scene.

Alternatively, having a "digital Codex" available to all Codex owners would be nice, for those of us who have tablets and such.

Sadly all of these fixes are more expensive than just having an FAQ up there :(

There are digital codex's you could always buy instead of the physical book, they are cheaper too.

Or, just keep all the FAQ's on your tablet.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria