News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tweeds' Eldar/Highelves/Random Nonsense  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
Tweeds' Eldar/Highelves/Random Nonsense
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:18:21 PM »
Hey ya'll.

I did not know about this board until it was recently pointed out to me. As I am getting back into the hobby with 8th edition, I figure it would be cool to keep a log of my progress in getting my army fully assembled and painted (or at least trying to).

I have not taken many recent shots of my stuff so I figured I would start with a few I have on hand and update as I take more.

I took a quick break from my craftworld to do a little bit of a fun/joke project and make some Angry Marines (look them up if you don't know the meme). Here are some of the modded units I have made for this:

Angry Marine wielding a power chair

Angry Marine with pretty much every grenade that came on the spur

POed Angry Marine Dreadnaught

Angry Marine "Drop Pod" ... cause they ain't got time for a regular one.

Hope these made someone chuckle as much as they made me chuckle.
More stuff to follow, likely from my actually serious work on my Eldar.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Re: Tweeds' Eldar/Highelves/Random Nonsense
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 02:07:54 AM »
Hilarious conversions  :D Fantastic drop pod idea, love it! :)) Looking forward to seeing it painted :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »
Hey Tweedz, welcome to the workshop  ;D Wicked funny conversions here. That scratch built chair is awesome! lol... Can't wait to see what you are working on with your Eldar. Thanks sharing bud, looking forward to more!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 12:42:48 AM »
Project for the evening: Cutting off the cannons from my prism cannons and magnetizing them so I can switch them with the spinners. Cutting the barrels off without damage was difficult and had to use some greenstuff on some to make a solid surface to glue magnets on.

Magnets easily held up the spinners but the dang prism cannon was too heavy and even with two of my larger magnets was a bit wobbly. I think I may have to get a bigger magnet for this weapon and the guns on knights.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:47:24 AM »
The nightspinner guns have a nice length of plastic that sticks back into the model itself, so cut these off and replaced them with a nail that I cut up. Then carefully drilled into the recess and glued a magnet in. Basically did the game thing for the fireprism as well.

This hides the join under the cover and allows you to slide the gun in and out and not worry about them falling off.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »
Always scary retro-fitting old models. Looking good so far though.

So you are digging the Nightspinners? I'd be fascinated to know what targets you are looking to set them against. Its a unit I've not looked very carefully at simply because I dont own the model. Would love to know the plan.

Anyway good luck with the prism cannon I'm sure theres a good magnet for it out there!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 09:38:49 AM »
@magenb
I had considered drilling holes for the magnets, but in the end decided it was too much hassle. I am going to end up using greenstuff to hide the magnets once I am satisfied with everything as I am much more confident with that than I am that I could drill precise enough holes.

@Cavalier
My thought was to use them against primaris marines (back-line units like hellblasters specifically). That being said, I only have one list with them in it so far and I don't really intend to use it. I am mainly doing this because when I built the Prisms they were very nice tanks and I had no intention of using the spinners. Well, I have learned my lesson and just want to make sure everything is always magnetized so I can deal with how weapons change in between editions.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
I tried a similar location, but magnets only really have a good hold in one direction, in this case horizontal, and can slide off vertically, so if you can create a hole for the magnet to slide into, it will work a lot better.

I made a right mess figuring this out but here is the way I eventually got it to work.

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 08:02:12 AM »
@magenb

That does look good! I have already progressed pretty far on magnetizing the barrels, but maybe there is a way to still pull something like this off. I take it that tip is a nail? How did you cut the nail to the proper size?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 05:53:41 PM »
@magenb
I take it that tip is a nail? How did you cut the nail to the proper size?

I used a Dremel to cut the nail. You could use a hacksaw if you have the right blade.  The Dremel or similar rotary tool can also be used to drill holes, just remember to use the slower speed settings and use some tape to mark on the drill bit how deep you want to go.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 05:05:37 AM »
I always use magnets on both sides, holds better. My workhorse magnets are cylinders 3mm in diameter and 2mm thick. 2mm happens to be enough to sink it slighly into one part and still have half of it sticking out to slide into the other part, so that it works as a kind of detachable pin. On the other side there has to be a magnet too, naturally sunk below the contact surface of the second part.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »
Haha just caught up on this thread and I love the Angry Marines ;) especially the Power Chair and Mr Boogie-Nights-Grenade-Man ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 04:19:41 AM »
The times they are a changin' and I think it may be about time I changed my craftworld color scheme a bit to go with them. I originally made the color scheme for my world around 12 years ago and since then some of my taste in color has shifted a bit.

This was the first thing I ever painted for my craftworld, my first test model. I am not very good at painting and I don't have a steady hand so I wanted colors that look good at a distance among a crowd of similarly painted models. The contrast in bleached bone and hawk turquoise fit the bill and hit my two favorite colors to boot.

But since then, I have grown fond of the contrast between blue and orange. So tonight I have played around with orange to see if it could be worked into my color scheme.

This was my first attempt... i immediately hated it and stopped. Edging is difficult for me and it did not seem to fit well, but maybe someone here has an idea that would make this work?

Take two: an orange wash over the bleached bone base. Not bad... but I think he looks a little like a walking cheeto... In addition I have a lot of already completely painted units and implementing this on them might be difficult.

My last test and honestly my favorite. Rather than make orange a primary color alongside the blue, it replaces white as my secondary (and white becomes a tertiary with red). This also has the benefit of being the easiest to implement on my already painted units. The downside would be that it might look like my units are using nerf guns...

here they all are together

To make this an effective test I may need to try one of these out on something bigger like a wraith lord or wave serpent, but I wanted to get some opinions/advise first. Do you all like one in particular or have some ideas of ways I could update my color scheme?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 07:59:53 AM »
Hey Tweedz. I gotta say I really prefer your original paint scheme! I love the Lugganath look (all orange) but I wouldn't match it with turquoise but thats just me. Also the line of orange paint from GW is pretty much a nightmare to work with. I've worked with it extensivley many times, including a Revenant Titan and a Lugganath Triumvirate and it was just brutal.

I really dig your original scheme. You dont often see Eldar in pale colors... and the turquoise is such a nice spot color. If you were looking to update the look of your army maybe you could experiment with some interesting washes or glazes? I did that recently with Bloodletter Glaze on my guys and it came out great.

Also messing around with the basing is also super fun.

But if you are definitley going to jump ship... I'd recommend NOT repainting your own stuff and just add a unit here and there and make a new wing of your Eldar painted in a different color. Marine players do this and it seems the most sound way to go.

But personally I like your original scheme and say stick with it! Just add some more detail with washes, glazes, highlights and basing... perhaps some banners, cool squad leaders and I'm sure it'll come alive for you again. Good luck!!!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 08:16:55 AM »
I'm with Cav on not repainting the entire army, unless it's a quick alteration like adding a wash or glaze to alter the model. You could easily add a blue was to the entire body of model and leave the head white to get an Ibraeysil craftworld variation or do the same with a yellow wash over all the white to get an Iyanden variation. As these are both variant colour schemes you don't have to tie your fluff to those craftworlds, as they are not identical colours.

I'm particular to an Ibraeysil variant, as that's the route I took with my eldar. I have some shots in my project log of my variant, if you wanted to take a peek.

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 04:25:24 PM »
You guys are probably right... repainting the whole thing would be a bit much. Now that I have slept on it I am also just not satisfied with the orange, as much as I want to make it work.

I am going to experiment with base/washes to new models to see if I find something that I like but I am sticking with my craftworld's core colors. I no longer have the bleached bone spray primer I always used and moving to white primer so it may allow me some interesting opportunities for washing my bleach bone color in rather than flat coating it.

I am also remembering why I made my craftworld theme revolve around wraith back in the day... guardians are a pain.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 06:40:06 PM »
Check out https://coolors.co/ it lets you play around with trying to match colours. Lock in your core colours then just hit space for random idea's or you can type in the colour codes if you have an idea on what you are after.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 06:55:15 AM »
Colossal bias towards bone colours and limited palettes aside, i too like your original scheme ;)

However, if you do want a little orange in there to bump up the contrast slightly then using it as a spot-colour would work really nicely :)

Use it very sparingly, and on each model consistently.

Guardians (amd lots of other eldar models) have the occasional tassle or band of cloth tied around limbs and stuff like that. If you paint them in orange then hit it with a Carroberg Crimson wash you'll get some really nice little pops of contrast among your units.

Another thing is eyesockets of helmets. Again, just painted orange with a Carroberg wash will work really nicely.

If/when you get comfortable enough to freehand some runes they'd look great in orange too :)

Simple, minimal effort, and sparing :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Tweedz

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 09:10:47 PM »
Been away for awhile, but I am trying to get back into the swing of things. First new project was my last, unpainted waiveserpent.  I decided to go with a slightly different scheme on the paint. Most of my army is arrayed in turquoise and bleached bone with white being just an accent, but my HQ units typically switch turquoise and white, as seen in my wraithseer and wraithlord.

I decided to make a serpent with the reversed color scheme to signify it carries people of importance.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:16:05 AM by Tweedz »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 10:33:43 PM »
Hi Tweedz, great stuff in your blog! First time I've come across it, but the craftworld elder in these posts are spectacular. Really love what you did with the wave serpents! The command serpent looks awesome! Cool wraithlords too! Especially like that Wraithseer.

Cannot wait to see more ;D! Welcome back, by the way :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!