News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 62173 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« Reply #200 on: June 2, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »
It’s funny you guys should mention cracked Martian earth red, because in the early stages of this project I was considering having parts of the armour in red, which was often featured in the steampunk images I used as references.

Thank you for the advice though everyone.  I’m going to back off painting the Overlords for a while until I figure this out (gold on the armour and red bases are definitely worth trying out) and instead focus on assembling the rest of them. 

Also, I very nearly stepped on one Arkanaut that had become stuck to the underside of my foam carrier case shelf.  That would be have been awful.  I’m going to have to replace that thing.  :P

In the meantime, check out my lastest work on the Celestial Lions:

You can also find them here: More Celestial Lion WIP - Album on Imgur

The sergeant’s lion head is actually two.  I had to snap one in half (losing one half under the desk in the process and requiring a second one) and trim the top off before reassembling it in order to get it to fit.  It was a nightmare. :P

Right now I’m in a position where 40k the game isn’t interesting me whilst age of Sigmar the painting project is interesting me a little but is requiring a major rethink.  Meanwhile, 40k the modelling project has gripped me tight whilst age of Sigmar the game is the only thing I play now.  Funny that.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #201 on: June 2, 2018, 03:02:56 PM »
I really do like the colors as I said before. I can also see the highlights on these guys. I guess I just couldn't see the nice subtle shading on the dwarves as well as on the lions. I can really see it on the lions. Probably just lost in pic translation.

A weird thought tho, maybe you might do the grey on the dwarves in the blue like the lions. Just a thought. Those colors work soooo well together.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #202 on: June 3, 2018, 07:13:16 AM »
They look great Tangi. Love the scheme and the shoulder pads look awesome! Any idea on the basing for these guys? I think something muted like grey rubble would look good myself... I'm really dying to get some Primaris Marines for my Dark Angels. My buddy asked me to paint a wrecked Eldar flyer in my paint scheme for a piece of terrain and I'm gonna try and trade the work for some Primaris Marines (if he has any to trade). The more I see of them, the more I like them.

Out of curiorisity have you played your Guard in 8th edition? They are absolutely savage. It'd be a good way of easing your Primaris into games as well.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #203 on: June 3, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »
I really do like the colors as I said before. I can also see the highlights on these guys. I guess I just couldn't see the nice subtle shading on the dwarves as well as on the lions. I can really see it on the lions. Probably just lost in pic translation.

A weird thought tho, maybe you might do the grey on the dwarves in the blue like the lions. Just a thought. Those colors work soooo well together.

I never thought of that!  So like Barak-Zon’s scheme but replacing red with green?  Could work...thanks for the suggestion!

They look great Tangi. Love the scheme and the shoulder pads look awesome! Any idea on the basing for these guys? I think something muted like grey rubble would look good myself... I'm really dying to get some Primaris Marines for my Dark Angels. My buddy asked me to paint a wrecked Eldar flyer in my paint scheme for a piece of terrain and I'm gonna try and trade the work for some Primaris Marines (if he has any to trade). The more I see of them, the more I like them.

Out of curiorisity have you played your Guard in 8th edition? They are absolutely savage. It'd be a good way of easing your Primaris into games as well.

Thanks Cav!  I haven’t had a chance to try out the remains of my IG force in 8th edition yet but I would like to.  They are said to be powerful, which is great because I remember the bad days when we were a joke.

As for basing the Lions, I was aiming to go for grey rubble myself.  Grey would look great against the gold.  And I strongly recommend getting some Primarus marines asap.  Once you go Prime you’ll never go back!  ;D

Also, I’m now going to present to you guys something very different.  In recognition of the (sadly underperforming) Solo movie, and two and a half years after I received the last parts, I finally started work on my Millennium Falcon model.  Here’s what I’ve got done so far:

Please excuse the poor presentation.  My desk is full of paint pots and Lions.  And in case you guys want to know just how big this thing is, check out the 1:1 scale blueprint:

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #204 on: June 3, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »
I've seen Solo twice now, people don't know what they're missing. The falcon is gonna be cool from what I see here.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #205 on: June 6, 2018, 05:31:40 AM »
Reactions to my dwarves in person have been lukewarm.  They’re said to be too dark, with not enough contrast between the armour and the suits.  I think getting the bases right will alleviate that (go bright?), but is there anything else you guys think I could do with them?

I think you worry too much about what other people think. Do you like the way that your Dwarves look? If you do then I think you should relax a bit

I really like the way your models look and I appreciate the way your low contrast scheme matches what I think of as a typically Dwarven aesthetic. 
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #206 on: June 8, 2018, 03:12:06 PM »
Reactions to my dwarves in person have been lukewarm.  They’re said to be too dark, with not enough contrast between the armour and the suits.  I think getting the bases right will alleviate that (go bright?), but is there anything else you guys think I could do with them?

I think you worry too much about what other people think. Do you like the way that your Dwarves look? If you do then I think you should relax a bit

I really like the way your models look and I appreciate the way your low contrast scheme matches what I think of as a typically Dwarven aesthetic.

Couldn't agree more with what Alienscar says. I may think that they're a touch dark, but if you like them...well, it's your army and who did you paint them for? Me, someone else, or you? So if you like them, beslubber everybody else.

One thing that I'll reiterate though; get them based! It doesn't matter how you base them, but do a test model. That will finish the model and only then will you be able to truly ascertain whether the paint scheme works well enough or needs to be lightened up.

Get. Them. Based.

!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

The word censor does the censoring, so that you don't have to ;) - Iris.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2018, 05:44:59 PM by Irisado »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2018, 09:52:03 AM »
Bah! 'Too dark', 'not enough contrast'. What do they want? Pint-sized Stormcast?

No, there are oily gritty steampunk dwarves. If they want shorter Stormcast I'm sure your guys will happily cut them off at the knees for them ;)

However, I did have a thought. Taking a bit of a wider view it's your whole army that creates the visual impression, not just one dude. You can leave your guys dark and low-contrast but play with the glowing blue for a 'pop' colour. Things like endrinriggers and frigates have those little luft-baubles chock full of little vents.

If you paint those glowing blue you could end up with a gritty oily army punctuated by glowing blue lights for contrast, like eyes peering out of the gloom.

As your painting progresses you can have a stab at doing some OSL as well :) that'd satisfy the visual pop requirement plenty
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2018, 04:56:48 PM »
A belated thank you for all the advice and support you’ve given me guys.  I apply for the lack of activity of late.  You can blame work and now the World Cup for that.  :P

I did however get some free time today, and this is what I managed to do:

Further progress on my hellblasters:

Including their weapons:

These are going to be really involved though.  In order to get the hands right they had to be sprayed in retributor, which now means everything needs lots of layers to get right.  Lots of layers. :P

The glowy bit is a cheat; it’s gong to be white with blue wash applied.

I also managed to assemble some of my last Arkanauts:

This squad is going to be the ‘command ship’ of my Iron Sky squadron.  No game effect, just pure fluff.  This is why the captain is a bit more involved than the others, with a volley pistol, Sky warden head and two detailed shoulder pads.

Going forward, even though gaming wise I’m all about the new age of Sigmar, when it comes to painting I’m going to focus my attention on the lions.  Because they’re easier, and it’s a smaller army.  This helps to keep my moviation up whilst I plan the next step with the Overlords.

In the next week or so, I’m going to buy the symbols for the other shoulder pads (the tactical arrows and so on) and the basing gear.  It’s time to really finish something once and for all.  I’m thinking grey rubble.  Simple, easy to do and will really contrast with the gold.  Or maybe something red.  What do you guys think? 

Oh, and I’m finally painting their bare heads too.  If I had my way I wouldn’t have had bare headed marines but that’s that.  I need to do some research for painting dark flesh. 

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2018, 08:02:28 AM »
I think the gray rubble would work well for the marines. The paint job is very bright and will stand out well against a muted base.

That gold and blue scheme is killer. They're going to look great as a completed force on the tabletop.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
Thanks dog.  ;D

Apologies for the lack of activity everyone.  I blame work, the heat, the World Cup, everything but myself really.  ;)

I’ve got a tournament coming up later this month.  For a change of pace, I’m going to be borrowing a friends army.  Probably either Stormcast or Ironjawz.  It’ll make transportation easier...and I might actually win something this time!  ;)

Now that the WC is over I plan to get back to work on both the dwarfs and the marines ASAP.  I hope to get both fully collected and painted by the end of the year.  With a little bit each week that is doable.

I’m still researching ideas for the bases of the Overlords.  Mars red landscape was one idea.  Another idea I had was something like yellow sand or bracken.  I’m just thinking of the grey stones on the admiral and navigator’s bases and what would look nice with that.  Another idea I had?  Blue sand.  Something to capture the fantastical nature of the realms.  I’m seriously.  ;D

We also recently played a test game were we used the rules for garrisoning buildings for the ships.  It really really really helps them out.  Ok, I still lost, but it was a narrow thing now rather than a massacre.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »
Blue sand would look sick, especially a bright, rich blue. That will make the brass/gold really pop off the base. A bright red could work as well, but I think the blue would make them look more fantastical and the red would be more alien and sci-fi. Either way a bright, colourful sand I think is the right way to go.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2018, 05:49:08 PM »
Do you know what missions the tournament is running? Also, do you have the new Stormcast book?

A lot of the 2018 handbook missions really require you to take artifacts and/or Wizards, so with that in mind I'd take whichever army can take the most combination of those two things.

I think Stormcast have a lot of tools, particularly in objective games due to their ability to come in via deepstrike.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2018, 06:42:16 AM »
That said, let's see them on a Martian cracked earth base!

If you are up for it I still think Looshkin's idea for the bases of your Overlords is the best idea.

Dwarves, even those that live on clouds, have a connection with earth, so a Martian cracked earth base would be more than suitable. You could even add a little blue into it if you wanted.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2018, 05:48:27 PM »
Great progress on those Primaris, Calamity, they look so slick in that Gold-and-Blue color scheme, each color looks really rich and vivid 8). I am also a fan of the martian red earth or the blue sand bases, think they would look great on either army :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2018, 05:05:53 PM »
Blue sand would look sick, especially a bright, rich blue. That will make the brass/gold really pop off the base. A bright red could work as well, but I think the blue would make them look more fantastical and the red would be more alien and sci-fi. Either way a bright, colourful sand I think is the right way to go.

Thanks dog!  That was exactly my line of thinking too!  :D

Do you know what missions the tournament is running? Also, do you have the new Stormcast book?

A lot of the 2018 handbook missions really require you to take artifacts and/or Wizards, so with that in mind I'd take whichever army can take the most combination of those two things.

I think Stormcast have a lot of tools, particularly in objective games due to their ability to come in via deepstrike.

I know that the tournament is running of the GHB 2018 missions.  I don’t have the new Stormcast book but that’s ok because I’m using Ironjawz!  God they’re fun to play with.  ;D

It’s a mawcrusher boss, foot slogging boss, warchanter, weirdnob shaman, 10 brutes, 20 ard boyz and 6 gore gruntas.  I’m running a...ironfist battalion?  I think that’s what it’s called.  And I think rea of fire, to get the general that mortal wound saving trinket.

We played a test game; these Ironjawz versus the Stormcast.  I utterly devastated his army, except for the Star Drake, because by ways and means it had a rerollable 1+ save with healing and a 4+ mortal wound save.  9 brutes (1 causality) under the effect of 2 mighty waaaghs (one being the +2 effect) throwing out like 60+ attacks couldn’t hurt it, at all.  Damn this unbalanced gameplay.  :P

That said, let's see them on a Martian cracked earth base!

If you are up for it I still think Looshkin's idea for the bases of your Overlords is the best idea.

Dwarves, even those that live on clouds, have a connection with earth, so a Martian cracked earth base would be more than suitable. You could even add a little blue into it if you wanted.

Good point.  Perhaps the blue could come from crystals?  I’m going to test these ideas out asap.

Great progress on those Primaris, Calamity, they look so slick in that Gold-and-Blue color scheme, each color looks really rich and vivid 8). I am also a fan of the martian red earth or the blue sand bases, think they would look great on either army :).

Thanks!  Really really glad you like them!  I think they’re my best work yet!  :)

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2018, 10:26:26 AM »
So I’m at this tournament, with 2 out of 3 games done so far.  I was tabled in the first game by turn 3 and I was forced to conscede by turn 2 in the second. 

My dice rolling continues to appall me.  Rolling 6 1s out of 8 for saves on the Mawcrusher Boss, rolling nothing but 1s and 2s on the attacks for everyone, losing turn priority every single time...despite changing the dice set for every game too.

Nighthaunt can immediately attack if they get a good charge roll.  This is on top of their regular attacks.  They also return dead models like crazy.  The match ended with every single causality inflicted back on the board. 

Then there’s the Daughters of Khaine, with their ward saves and high numbers of attacks etc. etc..  And as Ironjawz I have to come at them so...

I don’t mean to be glum but I’m not really enjoying playing the game anymore.  I’m a bit tired of coming all the way down to wherever, taking time to set everything up only to just start having to remove everything in mass before I even get a chance to act, then sitting around as everyone else carries on playing.  Knowing that you’ve lost by turn 2 over and over again realky isn’t fun.

And I can’t even play any casual games because everyone I know uses them as test runs for their tournament lists.  Plus asking them to tone it down means accepting that you suck at the game too, which also sucks.

I don’t mind losing.  I can take a loss when it’s a close run thing that comes down to the wire.  It’s just this constant total and utter drubbing I’m taking every game is wearing me down.  Seeing your opponents get it so easy whilst literally nothing you roll for works no matter how secure it is, amphetamine parrot, if I’m honest.

I think I’m going to take a break from GW stuff.  For how long I don’t know.  Don’t see much point painting models that’ll never be used.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #217 on: July 29, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
You're not alone. I'm taking a break from 40k myself although we'll be playing some Kill team as soon as our books show up.

I keep failing required psychic tests and charges around 5-6". Not to mention all the Dark Eldar lists with 12+ command points countering my required stratagems I need to make certain things work (and then regenerating some back with the right warlord). I haven't gone first in about 20 games. A lot of which includes my opponent seizing the initiative. This is the biggest let down as I lose a few units and can't gain board control. On top of that the fun units and fluffy things aren't worth taking.

Very frustrating. Take a break and come back to it.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2018, 06:56:01 PM »
Yeah tourney players are a different breed, the game takes on a completely different feel when you find a group that focuses on fun rather than winning. Might be an idea to see if there is a narrative group in your area.

If you are really rolling below average, try a new batch of standard GW dice.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2018, 09:44:55 PM »
If you are really rolling below average, try a new batch of standard GW dice.

I think that there is something off about some of the dice GW manufacture. Mostly the ones with skulls carved into where the '1' should be. I just don't think they are very well balanced compared to other dice like chessex (which is what I use). GW dice do look great, but I try to avoid any of them that have the skulls carved into the '1', call me superstitious lol ;D. I have two sets of GW Maelstrom Dice and 3 sets of chessex dice. The chessex dice seem more balanced on average when I try to compare them, but keep in mind I'm no dice master... Just eye-balling it on occasion  ;).

@Calamity, sorry to here about your rough experiences in these tournaments. I second mage that maybe some narrative or open play groups might be just the thing to kick some fun back into your games!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!