News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 61994 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« Reply #180 on: May 6, 2018, 07:00:45 AM »
Thanks Dread.  :)

I can give you a quick update; just played (and lost) my first game.  But it was only a minor loss, and I can put it down to the sheer raw power of my opponents army rather than any mistakes on my part. 

It was against a clan skyre army...mortars using those tokens to inflict horrible horrible levels of damage at long range.  Mortal wounds abound too.  It ended on 400pts left to me to 1240pts for my opponent.  But it was a great game and I learned to stay away from plague monks, who are the very definition of glass cannon.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #181 on: May 6, 2018, 08:17:46 AM »
Skyre is tough. They are a mortal wound factory.

I do like your latest list though. Overlords are a tough army to play. You have to be cagey a bit. But, just keep practicing and you should do well.

The boat is looking good too!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #182 on: May 6, 2018, 11:10:06 AM »
Thank you Killersquid.  :)

Another live update; I just suffered a major loss in game two.  Duality Of Death.  But I literally fought to the very end I did the best I could.  It was against a mixed order army.  Skinks, Grail Knights, Tempestadors, those Bretonian mages, that high elf lord on a dragon...and the high elf on the frosty phoniex who’s only 240pts and just...won’t...die!  2+ save followed by 4+ ward, with healing spells too.  Cheesey much?  :P

Highlights: killing the dragon in 1 turn of shooting and the Ironclad surviving.

Lowlights: failing to even wound the phoenix in 3 turns of fighting and the Endrinmaster failing a 3” charge. 

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #183 on: May 6, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »
Duality of Death, is a hard mission for you, as your heros are squishy. Mixed order is quite strong. The Phoenix temple units are insane. There is a reason you see a frost phoenix in almost any mixed order list lol. Sounds like a tough army to fight, nice work making the guy work for the win though!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #184 on: May 6, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
Thanks Squid.

My last game was Total Conquest against Ironjawz...I don’t want to talk about it.  :P

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #185 on: May 7, 2018, 06:47:52 AM »
Yeah that's a gorgeous scheme :)

And I used to have the same issue of struggling for lighting. People kept suggesting getting a lightbox...and they were absolutely right. £12 LED lightbox from eBay. Works absolute wonders :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

• Ancient
« Reply #186 on: May 7, 2018, 08:04:15 AM »
Thanks Squid.

My last game was Total Conquest against Ironjawz...I don’t want to talk about it.  :P

ha ha ha, Iron Jaws is where the 'eadcracker comes in handy. They have really low bravery. kill a couple with shooting, and erase the rest of the unit with battleshock tests.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #187 on: May 8, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »
Yeah that's a gorgeous scheme :)

And I used to have the same issue of struggling for lighting. People kept suggesting getting a lightbox...and they were absolutely right. £12 LED lightbox from eBay. Works absolute wonders :)

Great idea Ynneadwraith!  Thank you for the suggestion!  :)

ha ha ha, Iron Jaws is where the 'eadcracker comes in handy. They have really low bravery. kill a couple with shooting, and erase the rest of the unit with battleshock tests.
[/quote]

Their low bravery is a key weakness.  I think Barak Mhornar could be useful there. 

Also, I’m caving in and taking this list for next time:

2 Aether khemists
2 units of 9 endrinriggers
4 units of 10 Arkanauts with 3 skyhooks
Ironclad

It’s totally not fluffy.  It’s boring too.  But damn it, I’m tired of losing.  And nobody else pays any attention to fluff in list building  so why should I?  :P

• Ancient
« Reply #188 on: May 8, 2018, 12:17:05 PM »
I think too, Kharadron Overlords are not an upper tier army, and require a lot of finesse to play. The endrinriggers are their best unit imo. Everything that is an infantry is basically dead the turn after it deploys, as ko models are often very fragile.

I think an Admiral is important, as his abilities are quite good. You probably don't need two kemists.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #189 on: May 9, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »
@ Killersquid

Yeah, probably best to keep the admiral.

Also, heads up, the Celestial Lions are back:

The first is the before pic and those are the afters.  They’ve been highlighted in ironbreaker, and the lion heads from Shapeways have been attached and painted.  I also did the purity seals as well.

The sergeant’s little screen still needs painted, and they obviously need basing too.  And when I get the money, I’ll be buying and attaching the tactical shoulder pads on them too.  Thoughts?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #190 on: May 9, 2018, 04:32:05 PM »
I actually like the metallic paint scheme on these. Funny I usually dont. I think the blue really helps with that. Looking great.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #191 on: May 21, 2018, 07:32:30 PM »
This looks real nice the blue strikes a really strong contrast to the gold, it's a pleasure to watch.

Really well done. Is the crest on the shoulder pad free handed? If it is, it's really sublime.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #192 on: May 22, 2018, 09:32:10 AM »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate that..  I personally consider the Lions to be my best work.  :)

This looks real nice the blue strikes a really strong contrast to the gold, it's a pleasure to watch.

Really well done. Is the crest on the shoulder pad free handed? If it is, it's really sublime.

I wish I could tell you it was free handed, but I cheated.  They’re actually resin peices I got from Shapeways.  But if they look painted on then they’ve been a success.  ;D

Another update; I managed to end my prolonged losing streak the other day.  A 2k game against Ironjawz using the Open War cards.  The same Ironjawz who inflicted my worst ever defeat in the last tournament I played in.  Using, appropriately enough, a Barak-Thyrng list.  Settle the grudges. 8)

It was especially satisfying because I won convincingly despite the dice and cards working against me every step of the way.  I lost all but one initative roll, I got the rather poor ‘inspiring speech’ Ruse whilst my opponent got reinforcements, and I kept getting befuddled by mystical terrain.

But I still managed to win, with 13 objective points to his 8, and 920 kill points to his 520.  And had he not used his ruse to return his gore gruntas, I would have only suffered 120pts dead!

What really helped was the Twist of the game.  I can’t remember the name of it exactly, but it’s the one that spilts your force into three sections, with the latter arriving on turn 2 and 3.  He had his mawcrusha megaboss as his number 2, but when it came on it failed a charge.  So I countered it with my spare endrinrigger unit.  This same model single handedly devastated my whole army the last time we played, so it was particularly satisfying killing it so easily.  Turns out it’s not so deadly when being charged after being reduced to 1/3 wounds.

My opponent then expected me to make a grab for his home objective (it was Take and Hold) and thus camped all his Ardboyz around it.  But nope, I placed my second line of reinforcements in the middle to go for the no mans land objective.  A frigate with 10 Arkanauts and 6 Endrinriggers onboard.  With one stroke, I took a third of his army out of commission.  Unfortunately he then jumped said reinforcements with his resurrected gore gruntas and destroyed them.  But the damage was done, and I took out his brutes, taking that objective and forcing him to concede.  Revenge!!!

I’m currently painting up more Lions too.  I think it’s important to take a break from one faction to avoid getting sick of them.  Will post pics asap!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:35:13 AM by Calamity »

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »
Hi guys.  Sorry for the lack of activity.  I’m trying to get back to work on my projects asap.  I have a question I hope you can all help me with in the meantime. 

Reactions to my dwarves in person have been lukewarm.  They’re said to be too dark, with not enough contrast between the armour and the suits.  I think getting the bases right will alleviate that (go bright?), but is there anything else you guys think I could do with them? 

• Ancient
« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
You should ensure that the tone between the two elements are different, to create contrast. Either brighten the armour or the suit. In other words, If you were to gray-scale a photo of the model,and it shouldn't all be the same tone.

Can you post a recent photo of a crew of the painted dwarves so I can get some context?

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2018, 03:01:20 PM »
Sure thing Killersquid.  Here’s some recents:

See, compare them to Barak Mhornar (blue on white) or Barak Zilfin (Brass on Blue).  They have contrast and apparently mine don’t.  I don’t think I got the armour consistent either. 

• Ancient
« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2018, 07:25:08 PM »
In the third picture, it doesn't seem too dark, but the second picture all the colours seem to blend together in the lower light. I can see what people mean. 

I think the issues is, is that the colours are all too similar. Steel/grey/blue, so all the colours sort of blend together. The brass comes out being very similar in tone to the undersuit, almost grey/steel.

One possible solution, is to paint the armour pannels gold instead of brass. That'll add a nice orangy tone to the model, which will pop nicely against the undersuit.

Personally, I'd go bright good (like liberator gold/ retributor gold. I forget the order, but those two work well together as basecoated and highlight).

You do have great technique, which I want to make sure I mention. The models are painted very well, might need some experimentation on colour choice. *shrug*

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:29:37 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #197 on: May 31, 2018, 08:11:58 AM »
I think killersquid hit the nail on the head about not having enough contrast in the colours.

I suffer very much from a similar paint style, as I personally don't enjoy painting with edge highlights, blending most of my colours gradually. I think they look great up close and in person, but they just don't seem to translate too well in a photo. The way I helped counteract this was as killersquid mentioned, by having more dramatic colour variations in my scheme. This also helps the paint job pop more on the tabletop from a distance and not have a muddy representation. As he also mentioned, brightening the armour plating should give you just the right contrast to really stand out.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #198 on: May 31, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »
I know I just keep repeating myself, but I actually like the way it looks. I think the low contrast look is really cool. Its a nice cohesive batch of colors that draw the eye in and make the gear seem more ornate, but in a grim dark sort of way. That being said I'd like to see the basing on these guys be a bit more high contrast. The red martian cracked earth would look amazing.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #199 on: May 31, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »
I like how they look. Could they benefit from a slightly brighter final highlight? I think they could and it certainly wouldn't hurt to try a test model. I think I'd look to bring the clothing up a notch rather than the metallics though.

That said, let's see them on a Martian cracked earth base! That could be exactly what the models need. A bright counterpoint. I think base one and see if it needs anything else, then maybe add another subtle highlight to one that is based...you want to love the army that you use, so you may as well spend the extra time and effort getting it right.

Great stuff though Cap, really enjoying your updates!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...